Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Fitzwilliam Lacho posted:

They might not have an aura of Induce Homicidal Rage but, if anything else casts it on you, it might be easier to fulfill it's effects if you have a gun.

Welcome to the wide world of being a tool-using mammal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Didn't you once argue that guns are inherently feminist because :biotruths: ?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

I argued they were egalitarian and therefore feminist because they allow essentially any woman to overcome the size/power disparity that exists at a population level between the genders. I don't feel its a 'biotruth' to recognize that sexual dimorphism exists, though it would be wrong to use that as a basis for discrimination. For example, women may as a population tend to be less physically powerful than men, but this would not justify barring women from say, the firefighting profession entirely. That would be stupid.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

KazigluBey posted:

No, see, you can't do that because of reasons.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is my favorite dumb gun meme because of how manifestly ignorant it's author and intended audience are of not only gun regulation, but automobile regulation as well.

It's an impressive level of stupid.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33o32C0ogVM

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

LeJackal posted:

I argued they were egalitarian and therefore feminist because they allow essentially any woman to overcome the size/power disparity that exists at a population level between the genders.

lol

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxlunxSZ-Yc

Dr. Arbitrary fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 7, 2015

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

LeJackal posted:

But seriously, lets hear more about how guns either get up and kill without any outside action from another party OR are magical murder totems that create a field of Induce Homicidal Rage in otherwise completely peaceful people. It sounds like a fantastic way to do nothing about the real causes of violent crime, like poverty, institutional racism, economic disenfranchisement, and all those other things that actually matter.

'Gun control' is pointless security theater, with the added downside of making real problems easier to ignore!

You're right, and the high level of gun violence in the US is due to americans being violent and bloodthirsty by nature

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
AFRICAN HERORATS

quote:

Using positive reinforcement behavior that is respectful of the animals, African pouched rats are taught to identify the explosives, receiving treats for their efforts. After months of training, the rats are set a test and accredited as HeroRats if they pass.

quote:

The pouched rats are perfect for the job; intelligent with a keen sense of smell, they are small enough not to trigger mines and large enough to be easily identifiable in the field. No rat has been killed in a minefield.

quote:

The rats can clear two hundred square meters in just 20 minutes. It would take humans with metal detectors five days to cover the same area.

quote:

The rats live for up to eight years, but retire after six and live out their twilight years eating avocados, apples and bananas, and being regularly patted by their handlers.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Street kids sleeping over a subway heat vent in São Paulo.

Eponymouse
Nov 2, 2013

Beneath the skin, we are already one.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Krowley posted:

You're right, and the high level of gun violence in the US is due to americans being violent and bloodthirsty by nature

No, its because we have a toxic cesspool of factors like severe economic disparity, racism, a broken 'justice' system and...oh poo poo, wait, you're only talking about gun violence. Well poo poo, lemme just toss out all the numbers of people beaten, stabbed, strangled, and burned to death, since they don't matter.

Here, why don't you call up this nice lady's family and tell her that her death was A-Ok because she wasn't a victim of gun violence.

She was stabbed to death by her abusive former boyfriend, btw.

Oh wait, here's a good one.

Her death is meaningless because she wasn't killed by a gun, right? Just the good old fashioned classic bare hands.

Wait, I have another chilling tale of a women murdered by a bare-handed assailant!

Hold on...something is...different about this one.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 7, 2015

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

So gun murders are ok because non-gun murders exist. poo poo, why is murder legal again?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

LeJackal posted:

No, its because we have a toxic cesspool of factors like severe economic disparity, racism, a broken 'justice' system and...oh poo poo, wait, you're only talking about gun violence. Well poo poo, lemme just toss out all the numbers of people beaten, stabbed, strangled, and burned to death, since they don't matter.

Here, why don't you call up this nice lady's family and tell her that her death was A-Ok because she wasn't a victim of gun violence.

She was stabbed to death by her abusive former boyfriend, btw.

Oh wait, here's a good one.

Her death is meaningless because she wasn't killed by a gun, right? Just the good old fashioned classic bare hands.

Wait, I have another chilling tale of a women murdered by a bare-handed assailant!

Hold on...something is...different about this one.

:laffo:

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

YF-23 posted:

So gun murders are ok because non-gun murders exist. poo poo, why is murder legal again?

Naw, its just loving stupid to fixate on guns when other poo poo is at the root of violence. Its like screaming your head off about banning a certain color of paint from personal vehicles in an attempt to curtail fatal accidents.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Nah it's more like banning cars with guns.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
The way I see it is that there are two thoughts with gun violence:

America has such high gun violence because guns kill people in which case regulate guns.

Or either,

America has such high gun violence because Americans kill people in which case regulate Americans.

We do neither.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Then why did Gun Control work in Australia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pOiOhxujsE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYbY45rHj8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVuspKSjfgA

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Then why did Gun Control work in Australia?

It didn't. Well, the part about disarming the populace and leaving them helpless did, I guess. It also put some dollars in the hands of some government cronies too, I bet.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au posted:

Backyard arms trader Angelos Koots admitted making up to 100 of the perfectly constructed MAC 10 machine guns - more commonly seen in war zones and believed to have been used in Sydney gang shootings - at his Seven Hills house.
The guns, sold with two magazines and a silencer, were of such quality that during "Mythbuster" style tests alongside a genuine MAC 10 they fired 600 rounds a minute.
Sydney District Court heard that Koots made the guns for an associate who had links to outlaw motorcycle gangs.
The high-powered made-to-order weapons were then sold at meetings organised by a Penrith gym owner and another syndicate member, with the transaction taking place opposite a McDonalds in Glenmore Park.
When police raided Koots' house, police found diagrams, blocks of aluminium and steel, steel offcuts and moulds matching the MAC 10 machineguns.

http://www.theherald.com.au posted:

LAKE Macquarie man who was making handguns that fell into the hands of Newcastle drug dealers was jailed on Monday for four years and six months.
Andrew Peddie, 40, was a fitter machinist at a large Newcastle firm when police attended his workplace and later found a single-shot pistol in his locker.
The pistol could fire a .22 calibre round, a statement of facts tendered to Newcastle District Court said.
Peddie initially told police he found the gun while fishing, but when officers raided his Etheridge Crescent, Edgeworth, home on February 13 they found four guns, various parts and designs showing how to make the pistols.
The discoveries came after the state’s bikie gangs squad found one of the home-made pistols in a Belmont North home during a raid in 2011.
As well as the pistol, police found $250,000 cash and 15kilograms of drugs that eventually landed the occupant nine years’ jail.
Then in September last year police found another one of the pistols on a Newcastle drug dealer.
That pistol had a threaded barrel.
After Peddie’s arrest he helped police seize a total of five of the pistols he had made. He pleaded guilty to illegally manufacturing firearms in his garage and possessing illegal firearms.

Look at all the guns they keep finding in the hands of criminals. Its almost like when gun ownership is outlawed, only outlaws will have them!

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LeJackal posted:

It didn't. Well, the part about disarming the populace and leaving them helpless did, I guess. It also put some dollars in the hands of some government cronies too, I bet.

So are you just ignoring the second half of those graphs, or what?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
If gun laws cause criminals/gun nuts to start making homemade guns then I'm all for it. Homemade guns are like grenades that occasionally shoot bullets. Often where the shooter least expects it to. Go ask someone in the police or military and they'll have some wonderful stories about criminals doing it diy and what happened. I think GiP even had a thread at one point. If anything the only people who have to fear for their lives when a homemade gun is involved is the person shooting it.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Every loving time. I laugh like an idiot every time I see this. Only one other pic has that consistency.

Anyway, politic.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Red Mundus posted:

If gun laws cause criminals/gun nuts to start making homemade guns then I'm all for it. Homemade guns are like grenades that occasionally shoot bullets.

Its a bit depressing when you try to make arguments based on ignorance. Firearms can be very easy to manufacture, particularly when your standards are "will work for a murder/robbery then get tossed in a river".

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

LeJackal posted:

Its a bit depressing when you try to make arguments based on ignorance. Firearms can be very easy to manufacture, particularly when your standards are "will work for a murder/robbery then get tossed in a river".

Its also a bit depressing you coming here and making GBS threads up the thread with your tired arguments for you to keep your shooty shooty funtime toy because you cant fathom the concept that its an inherant risk to society. All while being unable to grasp the concept that other bad things can happen to.

Guns are a shortcut, bad poo poo will still happen, they happen faster and easier with guns.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Its also a bit depressing you coming here and making GBS threads up the thread with your tired arguments for you to keep your shooty shooty funtime toy because you cant fathom the concept that its an inherant risk to society.

:puts gun on table:
:watches society crumble:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

LeJackal posted:

Its a bit depressing when you try to make arguments based on ignorance.

There's no "you" in this sentence. Go over to GiP and cop goon thread and see what they say.

Also, :ironicat:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
It's a step forward for this place that the yay gunz side in the gun control debate isn't made up anymore of a thousand libertarian post-a-lots posting a thousand long essays with cherry-picked or made-up but time-consuming-to-disprove claims with the fury of a thousand suns and a condescension that can only come from knowing that all the others who share their particular idiocy will have their back. It's just this one guy who everyone realizes is wrong. That's progress!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

apatheticman posted:

Its also a bit depressing you coming here and making GBS threads up the thread with your tired arguments for you to keep your shooty shooty funtime toy because you cant fathom the concept that its an inherant risk to society. All while being unable to grasp the concept that other bad things can happen to.

Guns are a shortcut, bad poo poo will still happen, they happen faster and easier with guns.

So you agree with Ronald Reagan disarming the Black Panthers?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man watch out they're gonna cite :siren:fallacies:siren:

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Let's just fast forward to the end, shall we?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhe58xORWG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red Mundus posted:

The way I see it is that there are two thoughts with gun violence:

America has such high gun violence because guns kill people in which case regulate guns.

Or either,

America has such high gun violence because Americans kill people in which case regulate Americans.

We do neither.

We sell guns to make a little scratch. We sell the people who "misuse" guns to the PIC for the real money

• Locked thread