Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

"Yennefer is a mean bitch" is pretty silly as a statement even without the books. It basically amounts to "someone expects something of Geralt beyond fawning over his dick." Some of the Triss stuff basically comes across as "she is a nice waifu who never says anything negative, ergo she is good."

She is outright nasty for most of the game and it's stupid to expect a player to skip over Triss' quests/wait until a point where they may lose the chance to go back just to find out "oh but sometimes Yennefer isn't totally insufferable but hey guys she's canon in the books so read those you game-only peasants because we're gonna spend the rest of the main story showing you how wrong your decision was!".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm a big lorenerd. Do I have to play Witcher 1 before I play 2? I've tried 1 several times but I always stop playing at the beginning because it's so dreadfully boring.

Nah. A lot more Witcher 2 stuff is referenced compared to Witcher 1 in 3 and W2 is relatively self-contained. (Insomuch as it is a spinoff of existing novels and has an established worldsetting.)

Verranicus posted:

She is outright nasty for most of the game and it's stupid to expect a player to skip over Triss' quests/wait until a point where they may lose the chance to go back just to find out "oh but sometimes Yennefer isn't totally insufferable but hey guys she's canon in the books so read those you game-only peasants".

No, she really isn't. She's snarky at Geralt but Geralt is snarky to half the known world, including his friends.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Stalins Moustache posted:

I'm a big lorenerd. Do I have to play Witcher 1 before I play 2? I've tried 1 several times but I always stop playing at the beginning because it's so dreadfully boring.

Witcher 2 is pretty self contained but sets up W3 quite well. It also has far better gameplay than the first. Slightly more meaningful choices, too - the entire second act changes depending on which character you align with.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Yeah, they really should have put the Yennifer quests first. It's a hard problem to solve because they have to stay true to her character, which they really do.

And I totally believe that Yennifer wouldn't believe that Geralt actually had amnesia. They don't really go into this in the game but in the books I recall Geralt being very immune/resistant to any sort of mental effects. And he's lied before (plus she's mad at Triss and taking it out on Geralt). Yennifer doesn't handle not getting her way very well at all.

When I mentioned Triss was a saint I was pretty unclear - I meant in reference to what she's doing in W3. I doubt any of the other sorceresses would risk themselves to help people escape Novigrad. But the games really push Triss toward being a more clear-cut "good person" than she is in the books do, if that makes sense.

I think if the assassinations of W2 happened in the books Philippa would have told Triss to go along with it and convinced her it was the best course of action. And she would have believed her until Yennifer/Geralt stopped it. And they probably would have tried to install Ciri on a throne as a puppet ruler (which they wanted to do anyway from what I remember).

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

poptart_fairy posted:

Witcher 2 is pretty self contained but sets up W3 quite well. It also has far better gameplay than the first. Slightly more meaningful choices, too - the entire second act changes depending on which character you align with.

Ahh, thank the lord. Always been interested in getting "into" the series, but I can't stand doing that Witcher 1 intro for the 100th boring time.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. A lot more Witcher 2 stuff is referenced compared to Witcher 1 in 3 and W2 is relatively self-contained. (Insomuch as it is a spinoff of existing novels and has an established worldsetting.)

No, she really isn't. She's snarky at Geralt but Geralt is snarky to half the known world, including his friends.

Nah, I think she's pretty nasty. I mean, she insults everyone to their face, steals weird artifacts and uses them without regard for the cataclysm they may cause, defiles gardens, etc. It goes beyond snark - she really doesn't give a gently caress about anyone but herself, Ciri and Geralt. It's a pretty abusive relationship, really.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spite posted:

Nah, I think she's pretty nasty. I mean, she insults everyone to their face, steals weird artifacts and uses them without regard for the cataclysm they may cause, defiles gardens, etc. It goes beyond snark - she really doesn't give a gently caress about anyone but herself, Ciri and Geralt. It's a pretty abusive relationship, really.

Oh no, she's a terrible person but people aren't talking about that when they say she's nasty, if in no small part because that describes Geralt pretty well himself too, and a good chunk of the cast beyond that. Like she's unarguably a horrible garbage fire of a human being who cares more about herself than anyone else but that's kind of the baseline norm for the Witcher world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

"Yennefer is a mean bitch" is pretty silly as a statement even without the books. It basically amounts to "someone expects something of Geralt beyond fawning over his dick." Some of the Triss stuff basically comes across as "she is a nice waifu who never says anything negative, ergo she is good."

I thought Yennefer was mean after the first couple of scenes with her, but as soon as I got to Skellige I suddenly really liked her. She's willful and has her own ideas and doesn't just defer to Geralt all the time like most characters in RPGs do with the main character. So she probably reads as "a mean bitch" to people who aren't used to that, but I find her really refreshing.

Which is probably why I'm going to reload a save from like eight gameplay hours ago just so I can let Triss sail away and pick Yen. She's a much more interesting character, if nothing else.

My real problem with the game's handling of Triss and Yen is that it really frontloads all the Triss content so that there's a good chance you'll have your, well, "now or never" moment with Triss before you ever really get a chance to know Yen. That's not such a big deal for someone who's read the books, but for someone who hasn't, all you've probably seen of Yennefer by that point is her being fairly cold to Geralt early in the game. She's a lot warmer to him once you do some Skellige quests, but a lot of people seem to do Triss's "Now or Never" quest before going to Skellige at all.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 7, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Spite posted:

She's willing to do things with potentially terrible consequences in order to save a family member. I think this describes a lot of people in the real world, terrible as it may be. I also assume magic users are kind of used to skirting the line when it comes to dangerous stuff. You also gotta remember how important ciri is in terms of the prophecy. Doing risky stuff to save her might be worth it.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I never got the impression Yennefer enjoys Geralt's company for anything besides exercising the stability of her furniture and finding Ciri.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Is there a good rule of thumb for what alchemy/crafting stuff I should sell? I've reached the point I always do in open world rpgs where I'm constantly floating at or near the weight limit (got the plus 70 saddlebags as soon I saw them for sale at Crows Perch) and it's starting to get loving annoying especially since there's not even a merchant at a lot of villages. At first I was just going to sell everything I had more than say 5 of but some of that stuff could end up being limited now because I've destroyed a bunch of nests or whatever. Do the smiths generally sell enough of the armour/weapon mats to make the good stuff like the witcher gear? Wish I could just leave all of it with one of the smiths in Novigrad really.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh no, she's a terrible person but people aren't talking about that when they say she's nasty, if in no small part because that describes Geralt pretty well himself too, and a good chunk of the cast beyond that. Like she's unarguably a horrible garbage fire of a human being who cares more about herself than anyone else but that's kind of the baseline norm for the Witcher world.

Holy poo poo dude, at this point just accept that people disagree with you and move on with your life. You're not going to get anywhere arguing over what someone thinks about a character.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Is there any way to respec?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ZombieLenin posted:

Is there any way to respec?

Some NPCs sell potions that let you respec, I think in Novigrad. Can't be more specific because I haven't found em yet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

Holy poo poo dude, at this point just accept that people disagree with you and move on with your life. You're not going to get anywhere arguing over what someone thinks about a character.

... what? :psyduck:

I made like three comments on it in the middle of a discussion on the characters.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Shopkeeper directly southeast of the Novigrad bridge fast travel point sells respec potions. Right by the barber/notice board.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

ShadowMar posted:

Some NPCs sell potions that let you respec, I think in Novigrad. Can't be more specific because I haven't found em yet.

Merchant really close to the northernmost notice board in Novigrad. Near the barber. Costs 1k, be warned.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PINING 4 PORKINS posted:

God forbid people discuss and have differing opinions on major characters in the Witcher 3 thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's a story heavy, character driven game. I'd be annoyed if there wasn't a lot of disagreement and squabbling honestly.

Nilfgaarde Did Nothing Wrong.

MG
Feb 13, 2001

My name is Pleasence and I am FUNKY!
Is there ever any resolution to the guy in the big boat on Undvik that turns out to be the jarl? I finished the quest and then went back to him and couldn't interact with him anymore.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Uh.... so I'm noticing a few people not wearing pants. Is this intentional? What was the story with the no pants bug in Witcher 2? Was that a for real bug or a joke? Is the bug back in this game or am I seeing these no pants people as part of a joke?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

So does Iorveth ever show up? I miss Iorveth.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Uh.... so I'm noticing a few people not wearing pants. Is this intentional? What was the story with the no pants bug in Witcher 2? Was that a for real bug or a joke? Is the bug back in this game or am I seeing these no pants people as part of a joke?

It was actual real-life fashion at the time the games are based on. They're called braies and they eventually became used as undergarments but at the time they were just used as shorts.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I think I have a bug where keys wont unlock any doors or chests etc. I've finished the game but I think I noticed this before I completed it. Right now I'm doing a succubus contract in Novigrad where you are given a key and go to a house. The door wont unlock. During this quest I also noticed a ! quest where a man drops a key outside a door and that won't open either. It also happened during [late game spoiler]the sunstone quest where you find an old elven key and use it to open a locked chest. It wouldn't open
Anyone else having this issue? It's breaking quests for me now.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So, how do I reach the POI on Kaer Amhult in Skellige? And, is there anything else of note there besides the Ursine Sword schematic, the POI and a bunch of pirates? I've got the schematic, cleared out the fortress but can't seem to find anything else to do or find a way to the POI.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

tuna posted:

I think I have a bug where keys wont unlock any doors or chests etc. I've finished the game but I think I noticed this before I completed it. Right now I'm doing a succubus contract in Novigrad where you are given a key and go to a house. The door wont unlock. During this quest I also noticed a ! quest where a man drops a key outside a door and that won't open either. It also happened during [late game spoiler]the sunstone quest where you find an old elven key and use it to open a locked chest. It wouldn't open
Anyone else having this issue? It's breaking quests for me now.

You're not supposed to open any of the doors you mentioned. For the succubus contract you have to enter through the house next to it, and for the random "key" you found, it's used for a chest in another quest, not for a door at all. I don't know about the elven chest, though.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'm trying to craft another Blue Mutagen. I already have one, and the game won't let me craft another. I need 3 to make a Greater Mutagen. Do I have to take the Blue Mutagen out of my inventory in order to make another one?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yes, or hold down the Filters button in the Alchemy menu (L analog stick on gamepad, F on keyboard) and adjust accordingly.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Mill Village posted:

I'm trying to craft another Blue Mutagen. I already have one, and the game won't let me craft another. I need 3 to make a Greater Mutagen. Do I have to take the Blue Mutagen out of my inventory in order to make another one?

It's a bug in 1.05, but yeah just drop the blue mutagen and pick it up again once you craft another one.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You're not supposed to open any of the doors you mentioned. For the succubus contract you have to enter through the house next to it, and for the random "key" you found, it's used for a chest in another quest, not for a door at all. I don't know about the elven chest, though.

Thanks, you are correct. The succubus thing was confusing since the destination was right at the door I couldn't get in. I'm still confused about the sunstone thing, I'll read up on how you were supposed to open the locked chest, because despite finding a key down in the cave it didn't open the one locked object also down there, oh well.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
This got buried last time:

Novigrad Dreaming question: What happens if I choose the soceresses as the last thing to tell Corrine? Do I get a quit other than Broken Flowers.

Count Reuven's Treasure question: Does it matter how long I keep up the deception? It feels like the only thing I got from not murdering the witch hunters the moment they opened the gate is a lot of redundant "yup, these guys are still assholes" characterization dialogue for them.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Is there a bug with Hybrid Oil or have I just not found the recipe for some reason? I've checked the herbalist hut NE of Oxenfurt, the master alchemist in Skellige, all the vendors handy and can't find it, nor do I have it made in my inventory. Have every other oil and most enhanced/superior versions.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know why you presume to know other peoples' intentions. You just admitted that Yennefer is a bad person in the same breath as saying she's not mean. She IS mean, sometimes straight to Geralt, but just because she has other motivations does not make her any less of a poo poo about it. :geno:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
I haven't read the books, but I agree that Yen comes off cold initially in the game. They should have had you spend some quality time with her when you very first meet her, before you go off to Velen. I think that would make the choice a bit harder.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

She's willing to do things with potentially terrible consequences in order to save a family member. I think this describes a lot of people in the real world, terrible as it may be. I also assume magic users are kind of used to skirting the line when it comes to dangerous stuff. You also gotta remember how important ciri is in terms of the prophecy. Doing risky stuff to save her might be worth it.

Well, yes, in this case she's doing terrible things because she wants to get her daughter back. But in general she's willing to do any terrible thing just to get her way. She doesn't care about the prophecy, really.

They should have front loaded the interactions with her.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pellisworth posted:

Is there a bug with Hybrid Oil or have I just not found the recipe for some reason? I've checked the herbalist hut NE of Oxenfurt, the master alchemist in Skellige, all the vendors handy and can't find it, nor do I have it made in my inventory. Have every other oil and most enhanced/superior versions.

How about the herbalist in Novigrad next to canal(where you dive for Triss' supplies), that guy has a lot of recipes too

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I sure love when I'm in a heated battle and I take a potion and the "side effects" skill procs and decides to give me Cat.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
This whole debate between Yennifer and Triss is stupid. Yennifer has twice as many sex scenes you guys. TWICE AS MANY. you get to see like, so many more shots of her butt.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

I'm on the In Wolf's Clothing quest and I've been spoiled on feeding him his own flesh being a solution, but I can't find any in-game hints for it. Are there any, or are you just supposed to wonder why he drops his flesh as a quest item and try it out?

Edit: Also, is there any way to get back into Caesar Bilzen's house? Apparently there's an item there that starts a quest, and I didn't pick it up when I went there.

Nion fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

This whole debate between Yennifer and Triss is stupid. Yennifer has twice as many sex scenes you guys. TWICE AS MANY. you get to see like, so many more shots of her butt.

Plus Yennifer likes Geralt's beard and is into weird unicorn sex. And I believe they have sex while she is levitating them over a city in the books. I don't remember all the details.

Though she is a hunchback in real life, where Triss is just horribly scarred.