Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdx1M9Qj_Mw

The mothership zeta theme was really cool too and I wish they had put it up somewhere at high quality because it only exists as a stream off the fo3 website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MisterBibs posted:

But I liked Fallout 3 (way better in exploration and setting) and really don't want to walk through empty deserts while hearing Johnny Guitar for the billionth time.
I really hope Fallout 4 will make it easy to add your own tracks to the radio. F3 and NV obliged me to use awkward mods.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdx1M9Qj_Mw

The mothership zeta theme was really cool too and I wish they had put it up somewhere at high quality because it only exists as a stream off the fo3 website.
TTW adds dead NCR soldiers to the cargo bay which is funny and appropriate as it's a running joke from within New Vegas itself

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

You keep bringing this up, and you keep forgetting that I loved WoW questing. I had a bunch of alts just because I liked leveling. The only time I had a 'problem' with questing was trying to find cave entrances. Questing was my wheelhouse. Way better than standing next to a large boss hitting a rotation for 10-15 minutes at a time getting loot that'll be replaced by questing greens the next expansion.
Oh my god you whined for nine pages about how the lack of flying made the game impossible to play and you couldn't even complete the starter zone of WoD. Your opinions are invalid.

Fallout 3 introduced Yao Guai and I think that's the only merit I found. I love me some ghoulified bears.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm sorry Bethesda broke your mind so much that you try to look for reasons to argue with people who actually agree with you :(

Just play Morrowind again and pretend they never made anything after that

I wasn't arguing with you! I just saw (or thought I saw, there's no marker, I don't know if I can see edit markers) you edit your posts while describing the BethFan and thought it was goofy, because the original (or what I thought was the original) was briefer and didn't have the needless specifics you added (or I thought you added). but maybe you didn't.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

MisterBibs posted:

You keep bringing this up, and you keep forgetting that I loved WoW questing. I had a bunch of alts just because I liked leveling. The only time I had a 'problem' with questing was trying to find cave entrances. Questing was my wheelhouse. Way better than standing next to a large boss hitting a rotation for 10-15 minutes at a time getting loot that'll be replaced by questing greens the next expansion.
I'm sorry the concept that people actually like playing those boss fights for the fights themselves is alien to you, much like some people play games for things other than pavlovian carrot-on-a-stick stimulation.

I'm also sorry for the dozens of people who have had to help you with questing and them espousing their exasperation in the SA WOW threads.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

Looking at the big 4K screenshot, I wonder if that's a mock-up for an upgradable home base? You have all sorts of "displays" and it looks like we will be collecting skylander type pip-boys judging by the display in the image. Going by the same logic, that power armor looks awfully modifiable with interchangable parts.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I can't tell in all the FO3 vs. NV crap.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012
new vegas crashed and deleted my saves 3 times in a row, before i got to vegas itself. gently caress new vegas. a hideous game with lifeless characters and interminable dialogue spread thin across a barren flatland

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

PervertedLogic posted:

Looking at the big 4K screenshot, I wonder if that's a mock-up for an upgradable home base? You have all sorts of "displays" and it looks like we will be collecting skylander type pip-boys judging by the display in the image. Going by the same logic, that power armor looks awfully modifiable with interchangable parts.

that is a huge assumption to make from a screenshot alone about a company that never even goes the first mile, much less any extras

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PervertedLogic posted:

I'm pretty sure that's just some guy's workshop, if it even appears in the regular game. If you want a better point of reference, the home bases in Skyrim aren't much to write home about other than the fact that there's only one loading screen separating you from most of them.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I enjoyed Mothership Zeta well enough, I liked the classic sci-fi styling and it was nice to get alien rayguns like FO1.

Point Lookout though... I wanted to like that one but it was just a bit... eh. Some day I really want a Fallout: Louisiana, but if Point Lookout is how Bethesda makes swamps, I want somebody else to do it.

PervertedLogic
Aug 14, 2003

You think? You know they are going to have a collectible equivalent - pip-boys, snow globes, etc. - so little action figures makes sense.

The armor? Probably, but, again, if they were looking to add little upgrades, that's the way to do it.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

it is the smallest of their sins but it really bothers me that they put commas after the initial "so" in the second two but not in the first. maybe because it's the Intelligence-locked option they decided they had to use a reasonable style guide for that one?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Malpais Legate posted:

Oh my god you whined for nine pages about how the lack of flying made the game impossible to play and you couldn't even complete the starter zone of WoD.

Impossible, no. Unacceptable, yes. The 'not being able to complete the starter zone of WoD' thing is new to me. Granted, I'm not surprised folks who invent reasons claiming that ground-movement is acceptable in WoW would invent things I didn't say. :ms:

catlord posted:

I enjoyed Mothership Zeta well enough, I liked the classic sci-fi styling and it was nice to get alien rayguns like FO1.

This is what saved MZ for me, personally. I remember the combat being annoying as hell, but hey, Fallout is Classic Science Fiction Stuff and fighting off green-skinned aliens with laser blasters is in that wheelhouse.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 7, 2015

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PervertedLogic posted:

Sorry if this has already been mentioned; I can't tell in all the FO3 vs. NV crap.

I can say that the weapons might be modifiable in an interesting way, just by that laser rifle on he wall. Besides the replacement stocks one of those pieces looks like a new housing for the entire body.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

catlord posted:

Point Lookout though... I wanted to like that one but it was just a bit... eh. Some day I really want a Fallout: Louisiana, but if Point Lookout is how Bethesda makes swamps, I want somebody else to do it.

I enjoyed he new setting of lookout but the parts I liked the most were the multiple quests that were a bit more open ended and also stuff like the Chinese spy quest you find by accident.

If you read a note in the lighthouse you can follow a clue to get a replacement bulb and install it for no real benefit other than it works now. It was a neat touch.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Plus the whole Vault Project was revealed to be a series of social experiments. Some were control, but most had some thing that was meant to be studied. You can't argue thats not obvious because its literally in every vault in 3 and NV. There is a weird thing that all this was to test humans on long term space travel.

What was the reasoning for the vault experiments again? What a bunch of assholes.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Three Dog is that guy from the Fifth Element, right.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Baron Bifford posted:

The Witcher 3 is very well written; there's nothing for Obsidian to improve. Obsidian should cooperate with developers that aren't good at writing, such as Bethesda.

I think Obsidian should do the next Elder Scrolls game, at least in partnership with Bethesda. Skyrim's story was a yawner for me. The only great thing about Skyrim is that it's great for mods.

That's true. I meant more along the lines of CD Projekt approaching them to, say, work on a sequel to a franchise they have the rights to and using the Red engine. My biggest peev with Fallout 4 is that it just looks like they're still using the same broke-rear end engine, which gives me a good idea of what you will be capable of doing in the game. That's even without comparing it to what Witcher 3 does in world and quest design and all that.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Phlegmish posted:

What was the reasoning for the vault experiments again? What a bunch of assholes.

Experiments to see how people would react to various situations in long periods of isolation. Supposedly for space travel.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

LEGO Genetics posted:

Experiments to see how people would react to various situations in long periods of isolation. Supposedly for space travel.
The real answer is nuclear war was looming over and "gently caress it, we don't have any real obligation to keep our citizens around (or their well being) why don't we just gently caress with them"

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The real answer is nuclear war was looming over and "gently caress it, we don't have any real obligation to keep our citizens around (or their well being) why don't we just gently caress with them"

And aliens.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have to say, a lot of those experiments seemed needlessly sadistic and I have my doubts about the usefulness of the data they got from it. Were the data even processed after the nukes hit, was there anyone left to do it?

So the Enclave is the remnant of the United States government, but they've been struggling and failing to re-establish control for centuries?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

crawlkill posted:

it is the smallest of their sins but it really bothers me that they put commas after the initial "so" in the second two but not in the first. maybe because it's the Intelligence-locked option they decided they had to use a reasonable style guide for that one?

It's because, intelligent people know when to use commas.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Phlegmish posted:

I have to say, a lot of those experiments seemed needlessly sadistic and I have my doubts about the usefulness of the data they got from it. Were the data even processed after the nukes hit, was there anyone left to do it?

one of the joys of Fallout is that it makes no very concerted effort to make sense. if the black comedy works, it'll find its way in. it's a gonzo universe full of over-the-top lunatics. trying to make sense of the Vault experiments from a practical perspective is doomed to fail. they're there because it's a 50s-style dystopia.

enraged_camel posted:

It's because, intelligent people know when to use commas.

yes that was the joke that I made thank you for repeating it

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

crawlkill posted:

yes that was the joke that I made thank you for repeating it

I actually have no idea what you meant by "maybe because it's the Intelligence-locked option they decided they had to use a reasonable style guide for that one" but I decided to roll with it.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

LEGO Genetics posted:

The real joke is that's it's heavily implied in Fallout 1&2 that the government never thought they'd have to use the Vaults as actual Fallout shelters because of that fact. :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Jimbot posted:

That's true. I meant more along the lines of CD Projekt approaching them to, say, work on a sequel to a franchise they have the rights to and using the Red engine. My biggest peev with Fallout 4 is that it just looks like they're still using the same broke-rear end engine, which gives me a good idea of what you will be capable of doing in the game. That's even without comparing it to what Witcher 3 does in world and quest design and all that.

The reason why they're sticking with their engine is because they know how it works, making it easier for them to create huge open world games. Open world games are not easy to make at all, so anything that speeds along the process is great. Switching to an all-new engine, whether homegrown or bought off the shelf, has doomed projects far smaller than Bethesda games, like Daikatana.

It's clear that CDProjekt is doing the same thing with their engine as well, since they want to use it for their cyberpunk game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

LEGO Genetics posted:

I once met someone who liked Mothership Zeta.

We argued for three hours.

I liked Mothership Zeta. Well, "like" is a strong word but I didn't sell my soul to Satan to try to get back the time I spent playing it, which I kind of considered for Anchorage.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Lol at te horrible animation

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

enraged_camel posted:

I actually have no idea what you meant by "maybe because it's the Intelligence-locked option they decided they had to use a reasonable style guide for that one" but I decided to roll with it.

a style guide is a document that guides a project so that it will be uniform in style, ie, "do we capitalize the v in Vault 13, do we capitalize the v when we're just saying "the vaults" generally, do we use Oxford commas, do we put a comma after an initial 'so' or skip it because that looks really stupid unless the next word is 'like'"

the more you know

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

closeted republican posted:

The reason why they're sticking with their engine is because they know how it works, making it easier for them to create huge open world games. Open world games are not easy to make at all, so anything that speeds along the process is great. Switching to an all-new engine, whether homegrown or bought off the shelf, has doomed projects far smaller than Bethesda games, like Daikatana.

It's clear that CDProjekt is doing the same thing with their engine as well, since they want to use it for their cyberpunk game.

True enough but it still doesn't change the fact that the engine is bad. We've already seen what it can do and from that trailer it doesn't look radically different. I guess we'll just see for sure this Sunday. I imagine they have a controlled gameplay demonstration lined-up. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that contract was idiotic and it hosed them out of royalties and pretty much any chance of doing another game for Bethesda.

Basically everyone at obsidian (Sawyer, Avellone, Feargus) said they would jump at the chance to do another fallout game so really it's up to bethesda. The media/fans made a way bigger deal out of that metacritic thing than obsidian did tbh.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Phlegmish posted:

Three Dog is that guy from the Fifth Element, right.

I don't think I would have killed Three Dog if he were actually Ruby Rhod.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you couldn't play Johnny Guitar on loop to get you into that New Vegas mood you got a broke brain.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
That should've been one of the Vault experiments. Screw subliminal messages while people try to sleep, what would happen if people had to listen to the same song every day, all day for 300 years?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

loving next level conversation options right here lol.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
I know NV is way better at questing than 3 but I feel like 3 can do some really cool quests when it wants to. Tenpenny's tower's quest is awesome because there is assholes and good people on both sides and no matter what you do you end up loving poo poo up because the leadership of both groups are terrible. I felt like I did good when I merged the ghouls with the humans but felt like poo poo when I came back to realize Roy simply murdered all the humans and dumped them in the cellar. Poor Dashwood. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BillBear posted:

I know NV is way better at questing than 3 but I feel like 3 can do some really cool quests when it wants to. Tenpenny's tower's quest is awesome because there is assholes and good people on both sides and no matter what you do you end up loving poo poo up because the leadership of both groups are terrible. I felt like I did good when I merged the ghouls with the humans but felt like poo poo when I came back to realize Roy simply murdered all the humans and dumped them in the cellar. Poor Dashwood. :(

I forget, does Roy turn immortal once you finish it? Otherwise you could just kill him immediately.

...I still like that he tosses Tenpenny off the tower though.

• Locked thread