Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Hemlock Grove is so good you can feel it in your balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Hemlock Grove's first season was flat-out awful, but I thought it really found its rhythm in the second season. It's still not great but the second season was at least interesting, and the execution was an order of magnitude better.

I'm enjoying Sense8 so far, but I agree about the opening. Doesn't help that it's literally 2 minutes long.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

ShakeZula posted:

I'm enjoying Sense8 so far, but I agree about the opening. Doesn't help that it's literally 2 minutes long.

Luckily the credits, save for the first episode, always end at the same two-minute mark. It's pretty easy to flip to that area -- at least if you have a PS.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Hughmoris posted:

Really? That bad? That's a bummer. There isn't much out there with werewolves outside of the romance section. :smith:

I really wanted to like Hemlock Grove. It's nigh unwatchable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What's with netflix and long rear end bad openings? It's like they know people are going to skip them so they don't bother.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Hughmoris posted:

How is Hemlock Grove? Worth watching? I just finished a werewolf book and am looking to see what's out there as far as TV and movies go.

Teen Wolf is a great werewolf show. You could also try The Vampire Diaries, Being Human and Penny Dreadful. Or Buffy/Angel, if you don't mind going a bit further back in time.

Kurtofan posted:

What's with netflix and long rear end bad openings? It's like they know people are going to skip them so they don't bother.

Grace and Frankie is going to win the Emmy for best opening credits. Plus a whole bunch of other Emmys since it is Emmy voter catnip, but the opening credits one will be the only one that is deserved since it is an utterly mediocre show in every other regard.

less laughter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 7, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manos del Sino posted:

Hemlock Grove is so good you can feel it in your balls.

Hemlock Grove is amazing because they set out to make a very specific show and nailed it at every turn. Everything comes off as deliberate and it blends seamlessly together.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Hemlock Grove is "anyone who legitimately recommends this should be shot in the kneecap on principle" TV.

Nice, is it on Netflix?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BSam posted:

Nice, is it on Netflix?

Motherfucker, it is NETFLIX

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i suffered through the first season and part of the second. It's Arse Soup at best.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Since we're talking about Netflix shows, has anyone watched Under the DomeBETWEƎN?
First episode was great television, it checked off all the boxes. Juno, rich bitch teenager, drug mule, super hacker who is also a super genius, dead parents. It has everything.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Arrest this teenager he's got a gun! *later that day*... Soo....long story short, you're hosed have a good day, Here's your gun back Mr. Teenager"

Stupid rear end show, i'm still watching it because it's the slow season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Luckily the credits, save for the first episode, always end at the same two-minute mark. It's pretty easy to flip to that area -- at least if you have a PS.

Basically if you wanna know how long any Sense8 episode actually is take just over five minutes off the running time. The end credits are like 3:12. But yes it's very easy to skip the opening credits when you have something that fast-forwards in ten-second increments.

Halfway through and Sense8's still wicked. I should add a disclaimer though that the dialogue is very bad. It's just interesting/fun/weird enough to make up for it. Either episode 5 or 6 had one hell of a sex scene.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

Yep, I enjoyed Being Human!

Really? That bad? That's a bummer. There isn't much out there with werewolves outside of the romance section. :smith:

Let's put it this way, whenever 99.9% of people agree something is poo poo, then it is pretty much poo poo. Usually, even for bad shows, there is at least one person who is brave enough to stand up and say, "Hey come on guys, it wasn't as bad as everybody says." Or "I know it's trash, but it's a guilty pleasure."

Nobody says that about Hemlock Grove. Hemlock Grove is as bad as everybody says.

It's not even so bad it's good, it's just so bad it that it is horribly boring. I would rather watch the Saudi Arabian women's golf final than watch Hemlock Grove again.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 7, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hannibal is pretty insane. They could air this on HBO and wouldn't have to change a single thing. It fits right in and it's super gross and beautiful.

I've always wanted to see Eddie Izzard eat his own roasted legs.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
How is the cannibal thing still interesting after 27 episodes? We get it, he eats people.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Irish Joe posted:

How is the cannibal thing still interesting after 27 episodes? We get it, he eats people.

Rude.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Don't walk across his rickety old bridge... it's a trap.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sense8 is a good show, recommended for anyone who likes character studies and beautiful cinematography.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Alright, is this BBC season 1 or Cinemax season 1? If BBC, work your way through it, it's good, but not nearly as action packed as the when it moved to Cinemax.

It's off Cinemax's on demand so I have to assume it's the american version.

e: yeah it just said so in the intro

IRQ fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 7, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bown posted:

Basically if you wanna know how long any Sense8 episode actually is take just over five minutes off the running time. The end credits are like 3:12. But yes it's very easy to skip the opening credits when you have something that fast-forwards in ten-second increments.

Halfway through and Sense8's still wicked. I should add a disclaimer though that the dialogue is very bad. It's just interesting/fun/weird enough to make up for it. Either episode 5 or 6 had one hell of a sex scene.
After my little rant about the intro earlier I have to admit the show has won me over. I loved the car chase.

"I can't drive."
"I can!"*vrooooom*

And then the uncle? drat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I would have watched Strike Back a long time ago if anyone had told me the pilot is Die Hard. This is great.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

IRQ posted:

I would have watched Strike Back a long time ago if anyone had told me the pilot is Die Hard. This is great.

The whole loving show is like that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You're all talking about season 2 right? Season 1 is BBC, and season 2 is technically Cinemax season 1?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
So I have discovered Storage Wars, it's so :911:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Eat the Rude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DivisionPost posted:

How do I put this?

There's great TV, there's good TV, there's interesting TV. There's boring TV, there's "so bad it's good" TV, and there's offensively terrible TV.

Hemlock Grove is "anyone who legitimately recommends this should be shot in the kneecap on principle" TV.

:agreed:

Nobody watch Hemlock Grove. Not even on a dare.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

Let's put it this way, whenever 99.9% of people agree something is poo poo, then it is pretty much poo poo. Usually, even for bad shows, there is at least one person who is brave enough to stand up and say, "Hey come on guys, it wasn't as bad as everybody says." Or "I know it's trash, but it's a guilty pleasure."

Nobody says that about Hemlock Grove. Hemlock Grove is as bad as everybody says.

It's not even so bad it's good, it's just so bad it that it is horribly boring. I would rather watch the Saudi Arabian women's golf final than watch Hemlock Grove again.

I think Hemlock Grove is actually pretty popular in general.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

I think Hemlock Grove is actually pretty popular in general.

Yeah but on the other hand even I'm saying it's a worthless poo poo sack of a show.

I won't even go that far talking about Glee or Sons of Anarchy.

SONS. OF. loving. ANARCHY.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
That's just silly. I liked S2 of Hemlock Grove well enough.

In other news, just finished Person of Interest Season 4. Considering I sometimes struggled to get through Season 1, that show has rocketed up to being one of my favourites. I like that they're completely unafraid to end things on a dour note.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah but on the other hand even I'm saying it's a worthless poo poo sack of a show.

I won't even go that far talking about Glee or Sons of Anarchy.

SONS. OF. loving. ANARCHY.

What about........The L Word?!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

Considering I forced a friend of mine to commit to the first two episodes it clearly has some trainwreck appeal.

(Mostly I did it because she talks about her MFA program the way some veterans talk about Afghanistan, so wait till she gets a load of Jenny Schecter!)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The West Wing characters talk about their degrees more than any other show.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

xeria posted:

The first few seasons were pretty good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DrVenkman posted:

That's just silly. I liked S2 of Hemlock Grove well enough.

So it's an entirely different show than season 1? I mean I'm just saying, season 1 was awful on every level.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

less laughter posted:

Teen Wolf is a great werewolf show.

Is Teen Wolf like, actually good, or is it just relatively good? My interest has been piqued ever since I found out that Johnny Cage from the Mortal Kombat movie plays a major supporting character, but man does that show not look like my loving bag at all.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm the guy who didn't like Breaking Bad and even I think Hemlock Grove is poo poo.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There's like a dozen people here saying Hemlock Grove is bad, but not a single person saying why its bad.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Silicon Valley is on and the thread is still locked :mediocre:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, Adventure Time sure gets some weird guest stars. Like Andy Daly, Paul Scheer and Tig Notaro (just from the season finale.)

• Locked thread