Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
I've managed to poopsock my way up to ilevel 99 and am on the 2.5 trial, so I think I'm in the home stretch on the main story.

I've unlocked World of Darkness, but I've yet to run it. My understanding is that once I do that, the Crystal Tower plot line will be done.

Not sure doing the Bahumut storyline is realistic as my understanding is that isn't the Looking for Raid style stuff that Crystal Tower was. Thinking to just leave that for later.

Is there any other story lines that I should consider looking at doing before Heavensward?

Have to say I really like the bard. If nothing is going on, there is soooooooo much heavy-shot-heavy-shot-heavy-shot. However, if you are kiting something there is enough to the rotation to keep it interesting while running in a circle and tab targeting to multi-dot. Needing to watch the party and pay attention to the fight and decide what song to sing is nice. Although I do find myself wishing that I did have just a few more support abilities to toss out.

Question about healers. Is it expected that healers doing current content should be weaving in dps to burn excess mana, and mana regen rates and damage checks are expecting that? Or are the healers all just super over-geared and are doing dps because it doesn't matter at the end of an expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

^^^ yes, healers are expected to be contributing dps, healing requirements for fights tend to ebb and flow throughout the course of the fight, so there'll be a healing intensive part and a not heal intensive part where you're pretty much expected to be doing some form of dps

Evil Fluffy posted:

Depends on the party I'm with and why I'm running it.

Am I leveling an alt? Am I just doing a LLDR and got 3 people blitzing the dungeon for their atma? Generally I don't bother with a skip unless the group wants to, especially in LLDR since if I'm running that it's to level a class and xp is xp. I'm one of those weird people who play a game to have fun and not OH GOD MAXIMIZE PLAYTIME EFFIENCY though.

I'm not sure what my favorite dungeon would even be however if I'm running it to help someone get a clear and the party just wants to burn through it sure I'm fine with skipping stuff.

I actually completely misread that post, so since we basically agree that demanding speedrun frameskip clears of dungeons of 3 low level players who want to full clear is lovely, let's just talk about our actual favorite dungeons instead

I think mine is brayflox hard because when my friends told me about it I thought the goblin illuminati was just a joke term for another group of goblins, and then I found out it wasn't and it was amazing

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 7, 2015

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I still love Haukke normal. That whole aesthetic in the dungeon is pretty fun, even if it basically took me on a nostalgia trip back through Unrest trains.

I'm really looking forward to the new Library dungeon, the music alone.. :3:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
From the leveling dungeons, my favourite is Flox, just because I absolutely adore the aesthetic design there. For 50s, it's Lost City (which is pretty much perfect in every way, in my eyes), closely followed by Pharos and Keeper. Toss out an honorary mention to Hardflox and Spookycroft too, I guess. I'm just a sucker for aesthetics, really.

Interested in the HW library too, as well as that first set of Allagan ruins (although I admit, that one's mostly because I love that music.) That mountain range looked cool, too.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

also my honorable mention goes to wanderer's palace normal because giant terrifying tonberries that just shank you dead you are completely my jam. having them be untargetable is a nice touch.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

Counterpoint, keep cleric stance and don't stop believing that your tank knows how to use CDs :smithicide: Selene can solo heal!

Really the only reason you need to go out of cleric stance as a scholar in leveling dungeons is on (some) boss fights or with a really lovely tank that doesn't understand how to use cooldowns. With proper gear / tank, you can even let her heal all the current exdr content.

What proper tank pulls 3 mobs at a time in a exdr when you can pull multiple packs?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

What proper tank pulls 3 mobs at a time in a exdr when you can pull multiple packs?

You jumped to the incorrect conclusion.

e: to avoid this being a bait post, did an exdr with the very pretty Gokai Pink the other day. Landed in WP and he pulled as all proper tanks pull. Didn't have to heal him outside of the pre-pull Adlo. Every time I do KoTL it's the same thing. Good tanks seriously trivialize the amount of effort Scholars put into healing dungeon content.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 7, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

onesixtwo posted:

You jumped to the incorrect conclusion.

e: to avoid this being a bait post, did an exdr with the very pretty Gokai Pink the other day. Landed in WP and he pulled as all proper tanks pull. Didn't have to heal him outside of the pre-pull Adlo. Every time I do KoTL it's the same thing. Good tanks seriously trivialize the amount of effort Scholars put into healing dungeon content.

Do you consider super pulls not a proper tank pull?

Unsmart
Oct 6, 2006

WP and KoTL have pretty tame big pulls just because of the way the two dungeons are structured. I'm pretty sure he's overlooking the extremely large pull before the second boss in WP though or it was cut in half. Ed: Or he doesn't consider Lustrate healing.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
so your options are either pull small packs and have the fairy heal while you do lovely damage or pull giant packs and help the fairy heal while the guys who are supposed to make things blow up make things blow up

hmm

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The proper answer is have the tank pull big packs, out DPS the rest of your group on SCH, rouse your fairy and occasionally bust out Lustrate when the fairy can't keep up with healing the tank.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

No, you big dummy. I'm saying I let Selene auto-heal the entire WP hard dungeon while a Good Tank pulled the dungeon as much as was available, e: with exception to the giant pull possible before the second boss. That would take lustrates yes, but splitting it in two was the method used.

e:

Megaflare posted:

WP and KoTL have pretty tame big pulls just because of the way the two dungeons are structured. I'm pretty sure he's overlooking the extremely large pull before the second boss in WP though or it was cut in half. Ed: Or he doesn't consider Lustrate healing.

The pre-second boss pull was split, thats right, thank you. Otherwise it was everything possible pulled and no lustrates needed.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 7, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if selene can autoheal an exdr you're not pulling big enough packs

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
He probably didn't pull the entire hallway before the boss with the buff totems. However I have never seen that pull end well doing it that way.

But I'm still going with your selene won't solo heal someone pulling the entire mob pack after the first plant in AK hm.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
alternatively you can just accept that maybe you don't need to be one missed heal away from wiping on a mob pull

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Holyshoot posted:

He probably didn't pull the entire hallway before the boss with the buff totems. However I have never seen that pull end well doing it that way.

Yeah, honestly any tank that pulls the full hallway is making a bad decision. I've managed to heal through it on both WHM and SCH but holy gently caress is it too uncomfortably close to instant wipe the entire duration. If you are double BLM with a PLD then gently caress it, PLD have the cooldowns to give flare enough time to do what it needs.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
So now that I've done Praetorium, how do I start unlocking high level stuff? Just keep doing story missions? Are any of the raids unlocking even going to be relevant in a few weeks?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

more like dICK posted:

So now that I've done Praetorium, how do I start unlocking high level stuff? Just keep doing story missions? Are any of the raids unlocking even going to be relevant in a few weeks?

do quests with the flame border until there aren't any more

if you need more gear go do all of the hard mode dungeons once and buy enough gear to get into crystal tower and ride the syrcus tower train to ilvl 100 to finish the story

take every level 50 quest you see, especially in mor dhona and the waking sands, and chances are it'll be a quest for a hard mode dungeon

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

Yea, so gently caress Nabriales.

Looks to basically be a gear check with a couple minor mechanics tossed on top.

Ugh, back to grinding gear. Thought I was free.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

"here, you need your dps stance right off the bat right?"

"uh, not at all, I'd like more threat actuall-"

"All right, cool, we'll just toss this shield oath crap in at 40, it's not important right?

I like to think that the reason for this is to teach new tanks that they don't need to be in tanking stance literally all the time, but somehow that lesson never seems to come through.

And it could be worse. Warriors get their tank stance at 30, but they get none of the damaging abilities that work off of it until way later.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cyclomatic posted:

Yea, so gently caress Nabriales.

Looks to basically be a gear check with a couple minor mechanics tossed on top.

Ugh, back to grinding gear. Thought I was free.

What part were you having problems with? You basically just need one geared tank and one geared healer, and the rest is gravy. Hell, you could probably get away with an i90 Warrior or Paladin that knew what they were doing and were able to manage their cooldowns correctly.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

group I was in simply couldn't kill the rift in time. melee limit break 3 used, all cooldowns used during red swirls.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Tell the DPS to push buttons then because the melee LB should do like 50% and then it's a laughably easy dps check.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

guess I'll DF again and see if it works with a different group.

Assumed it was a gear check since at 99 ilevel some of theAoEs would drop me to like 10 or 15% hp, so enough to survive, but barely.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

do quests with the flame border until there aren't any more

if you need more gear go do all of the hard mode dungeons once and buy enough gear to get into crystal tower and ride the syrcus tower train to ilvl 100 to finish the story

take every level 50 quest you see, especially in mor dhona and the waking sands, and chances are it'll be a quest for a hard mode dungeon

Perfect, thanks.

Are the hard mode dungeons the ones that are gear synced (weird icon in the duty finder)? Is it worth getting my relic?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

more like dICK posted:

Perfect, thanks.

Are the hard mode dungeons the ones that are gear synced (weird icon in the duty finder)? Is it worth getting my relic?

The hard mode dungeons are any level 50 dungeons. They come in increasing order of difficulty/rewards as they were released with the patches:

2.0 dungeons: Wanderer's Palace, Amdapor Keep (no ilvl requirement, drops i55 gear, 20 soldiery, 5 poetics)
2.1 dungeons: Copperbell HM, Haukke HM, Pharos Sirius (requires i48, drops i60 gear, 30 soldiery, 10 poetics)
2.2 dungeons: Brayflox HM, Halatali HM, Lost City (requires i55, drops i70 gear, 40 soldiery, 15 poetics)
2.3 dungeons: Stone Vigil HM, Tam-tara HM, Hullbreaker (requires i70, drops i80 gear, 50 soldiery, 20 poetics)
2.4 dungeons: Sunken Temple HM, Sastasha HM, Snowcloak (requires i80, drops i90 gear, 70 soldiery, 30 poetics)
2.5 dungeons: Wanderer's Palace HM, Amdapor Keep HM, Keeper of the Lake (requires i90, drops i100 gear, 100 soldiery, 40 poetics)

Basically try to run through them once each - any direct gear drops you happen to get, plus the soldiery and poetics they cough up (including the bonus-for-first-timer soldiery you yourself will be providing), should reasonably keep your ilvl high enough to get into the next batch. You might have to do a few repeats but it won't be too bad.

"Expert roulette" is whatever the latest batch is (so the 2.5 dungeons, at the moment); "high level roulette" is all the other level 50 4-player dungeons (2.0 through 2.4 dungeons). Story quests will both unlock and require completion of Snowcloak and Keeper of the Lake. All the others are unlocked through sidequests that you can do as soon as you finish Praetorium (and in the cases of HM dungeons, have also completed their normal version).

As for relic: getting it is worthwhile - it's an easy quest chain that rewards an i80 weapon that's trivially upgraded to i90. Great for starting with. Continuing to upgrade it after that is a major time sink and is not recommended. For weapon upgrades beyond initial relic, focus on the CT raids for that. In particular, Syrcus Tower (plus some soldiery) can get you a i100 weapon upgradeable to i110 with another Syrcus Tower drop, and World of Darkness will do the same with i120 and i130 except it uses poetics instead.

(e: Okay, technically the WoD weapon stuff isn't tied to WoD per se, but you still have to be able to beat it to get those.)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Vil posted:

As for relic: getting it is worthwhile - it's an easy quest chain that rewards an i80 weapon that's trivially upgraded to i90. Great for starting with. Continuing to upgrade it after that is a major time sink and is not recommended.

It also gets you an achievement and a title for each class you get a relic on, if that's your thing.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It also gets you an achievement and a title for each class you get a relic on, if that's your thing.

The real end game is achievement point collecting.

I wish I could go back in time and slap past-Chyea for wasting hundreds of levequests.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It's also probably not worth doing your relic two weeks before HW drops. There's going to be a catch up quest that will probably bring it to i135+ in 3.1, if not in 3.0.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Yeah I just hit a step that requires me to do materia, which I guess means I have to level crafters. So no relic for me.

Guess I'll work my way through the story and level 50 dungeons, thanks.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

more like dICK posted:

Yeah I just hit a step that requires me to do materia, which I guess means I have to level crafters. So no relic for me.

Other people can bind materia for you. There's no reason, even right now, to not do the relic quest. It takes like, 2 hours.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

more like dICK posted:

look for the weapon on the market board, chances are someone is selling it with the correct materia premelded so you can just hand it over to gerolt

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

look for the weapon on the market board, chances are someone is selling it with the correct materia premelded so you can just hand it over to gerolt

Or if you don't want to get hosed by literally 500% profit costs, ask a friendly crafter in whatever FC you're in to make one and meld the materia (it literally takes 2 minutes to make one)

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Cabinet posted:

It's also probably not worth doing your relic two weeks before HW drops. There's going to be a catch up quest that will probably bring it to i135+ in 3.1, if not in 3.0.

Uhh no. It's a brand new relic quest line in 3.0. You don't need to have done the other relic quest line.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Uhh no. It's a brand new relic quest line in 3.0. You don't need to have done the other relic quest line.

Yeah? Which means there's no point doing the old relic because it'll be basically worthless. Best case you get your i135 and skip a bit of the 3.0 relic quest.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Holyshoot posted:

Although people who have completed the entire zeta line are getting something when the next relic chain is added in 3.1. They haven't said what yet though, and of course they could always decide not to do anything.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The most appreciable thing that a crafter can do for themselves that they can't do for other people, is repair gear.

Anything materia-related, you just need a crafter to be involved - you do not need to personally be the crafter.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Cabinet posted:

Yeah? Which means there's no point doing the old relic because it'll be basically worthless. Best case you get your i135 and skip a bit of the 3.0 relic quest.

2.0 relics make for some fancy glamours though.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Can't disagree with that, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

kafziel posted:

2.0 relics make for some fancy glamours though.

If it wasn't for the gilsink of materia and getting kicked off a cliff by the RNG during the atma stage I'd totally go farther in the relic quest just to have the lilith rod as a glamour.

• Locked thread