Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm only on page 54 of this 200 plus thread but I have to ask...

Is his horse named Roach a reference to Roche? Like an insult towards Roche?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Naw, every horse he's owned has been named Roach. It's just a coincidence.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Ugh. Sucks that the quest "Novigrad, Closed City" is bugged and unable to be completed.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

thebardyspoon posted:

Anybody else get the thing where when you finish some quests you get the sort of, animated in a woodcut style thing with Garalt talking over it? I've only had two so far, one at the end of the Bloody Baron questline and then at the end of the haunted house sidequest in Novigrad. Trouble is both times the dialogue has been so quiet I can barely hear it (rest of the game is fine) and they pop up kinda without warning.

Those are the "ending" scenes - you get them when you finish a major questline, and at the end of the game. Can't help you with the volume aspect though, mine was fine.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
There is a 294 page thread over on the CDPR forums regarding the Yen/Triss dilemma so I guess it's good to know the few of us in here disappointed by it aren't alone.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/40694-The-Triss-content-and-the-inconsistency-of-our-romance-s-choice

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Where can I lay my hands on a troll mutagen? I want that decoction.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Verranicus posted:

There is a 294 page thread over on the CDPR forums regarding the Yen/Triss dilemma so I guess it's good to know the few of us in here disappointed by it aren't alone.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/40694-The-Triss-content-and-the-inconsistency-of-our-romance-s-choice

I haven't even gotten close to this in-game yet, but could see it coming. Frankly it seems a ridiculous choice. There is Triss, who you get to know over 3 games, and then Yen who (if you haven't read the books) who I know nearly nothing about.

So they build your relationship with Triss for two games, then completely ignore that relationship? And all the while trying to push you into a choice to be with a character the players, at least, hardly know?

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 8, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

The Lone Badger posted:

Where can I lay my hands on a troll mutagen? I want that decoction.

Kill a rock troll.

:getin:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ZombieLenin posted:

I haven't even gotten close to this in-game yet, but could see it coming. Frankly it seems a ridiculous choice. There is Triss, who you get to know over 3 games, and then Yen who (if you haven't read the books) who I know nearly nothing about.

Yeah. I chose Triss for the same reason, but after reading that the game is going to beat me over the head with what a wrong decision that was I'm seriously tempted to start over.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
Just beat the game: one of the best I've ever played. Overall, the settings are great, the sound fairly well done, the quests decent, the combat so-so, but the characters so well written and executed, from the dialogue to the facial expressions, that nothing else matters. I kind of wish the combat was a bit more involved-even on path of the damed, by level 10 everything is just dodge attack dodge. Still, the story was so well done that I didn't even really notice.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's a very human reaction and she drops it and never brings it up again after that

it's good writing

"That is well developed prose. I like you." I get that it's reasonable on her part to some degree. I'm not arguing that it's an improper reaction but when this and the dream of Kaer Mohen where she's equally endearing are all you get, the game is mostly force feeding you "YOU LOVE YEN" rather than letting you see it. They should have added a bit more to the beginning of Yen to let you see it. Especially when your romantic entanglement with Triss occurs when you're not quite 1/3 through the game. Triss is a way more attractive option (not in the physical sense) when it comes time to ask her to stay with you. Though the conversation feels like it's the game going "are you suuuuuuuuuure that's what you want? No, seriously, are you really sure?" I really feel odd now talking about the romantic story lines with my Skyrim-with-better-combat game. But I do find myself enjoying all of the story. The criticisms are all absolutely correct, though. The game basically railroads you at Yen for love of your life candidate.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 8, 2015

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

help can't decide which video game love interest gets the D

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

etalian posted:

:getout:

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

etalian posted:

No it's fine the game decides for you

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

There's already a threesome scene in the game, what more do you want?

One that I ended up with... :sigh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

ZombieLenin posted:

I've only ever played this Witcher game, I haven't played the others or read the books. The writing DOES kind of push you toward Yen a bit, but to me it seemed more like Geralt LIKED having his balls busted by Yen. She feels like a good counterpart to him, because he doesn't really take his poo poo. Yeah, she gets mad at the amnesia thing, but I feel like that's a pretty human response? It's not fair for her to be mad at him, but everything can't be fair all the time, and this game is constantly showing that. Triss is cool, and if the interactions between Yen and Geralt hadn't felt like such good chemistry between them, I would've gone with Triss cause she toughs out the torture scene. So it's all whether you feel like Yen and Geralt have better chemistry than Triss and Geralt, personally I feel like the writers did a pretty good job with it because there's such a debate about which is the better girl to pick.

Their decision to let you do Triss's thing way before you ever do Yen's makes no drat sense though. It really should've been one quest where you're forced to do a thing with Yen, forced to do a thing with Triss and then you have to decide as the last part of the quest. It's a really weird design choice. I had the foresight to ask in this thread if there's a whole Yen section to do before doing Triss' quest, but not everyone is gonna do that and they'll be stuck with the Triss answer hours before they do Yen's quests

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Macaluso posted:

I've only ever played this Witcher game, I haven't played the others or read the books. The writing DOES kind of push you toward Yen a bit, but to me it seemed more like Geralt LIKED having his balls busted by Yen. She feels like a good counterpart to him, because he doesn't really take his poo poo. Yeah, she gets mad at the amnesia thing, but I feel like that's a pretty human response? It's not fair for her to be mad at him, but everything can't be fair all the time, and this game is constantly showing that. Triss is cool, and if the interactions between Yen and Geralt hadn't felt like such good chemistry between them, I would've gone with Triss cause she toughs out the torture scene. So it's all whether you feel like Yen and Geralt have better chemistry than Triss and Geralt, personally I feel like the writers did a pretty good job with it because there's such a debate about which is the better girl to pick.

Their decision to let you do Triss's thing way before you ever do Yen's makes no drat sense though. It really should've been one quest where you're forced to do a thing with Yen, forced to do a thing with Triss and then you have to decide as the last part of the quest. It's a really weird design choice. I had the foresight to ask in this thread if there's a whole Yen section to do before doing Triss' quest, but not everyone is gonna do that and they'll be stuck with the Triss answer hours before they do Yen's quests

Again, I'm not even near the Triss part of the game, but it seems like this is a valid perspective. The problem is for those of us who have played 1 and 2 where Triss, and Geralt's relationship with her, are strongly developed.

I know Geralt is a cheating rear end, but to me as a player, not choosing Triss seems like a real betrayal.

And that really doubles down on the weird design choice of placing the "pick Triss now" quest so early in the game."

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 8, 2015

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Level 20 in full enhanced feline armor and swords, and I finally killed that shiteating archgriffon for the master armorer quest in Crow's Perch. The lovely Yoana crafted me a relic set of Witchers Armor with a 166 armor rating, and 30% resist to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning, with 10% resistance to damage from monsters and elementals. Only problem is I'm level 20 and can't use it for 7 more levels. What the gently caress CDPR? The quest suggested level is 24, the monster to complete it is 26, the reward is 27, and I'm level 20. Whoever wrote this quest is a loving rear end in a top hat. Is this armor even better than the master crafted Griffin or Feline sets? Should I even bother holding onto it for what will probably take weeks of grinding to get to level 27? I'm to meet Yennefer in the area that Ciri nuked, so I must be almost done with the game! I won't even get a chance to enjoy it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Level 20 in full enhanced feline armor and swords, and I finally killed that shiteating archgriffon for the master armorer quest in Crow's Perch. The lovely Yoana crafted me a relic set of Witchers Armor with a 166 armor rating, and 30% resist to slashing, piercing, and bludgeoning, with 10% resistance to damage from monsters and elementals. Only problem is I'm level 20 and can't use it for 7 more levels. What the gently caress CDPR? The quest suggested level is 24, the monster to complete it is 26, the reward is 27, and I'm level 20. Whoever wrote this quest is a loving rear end in a top hat. Is this armor even better than the master crafted Griffin or Feline sets? Should I even bother holding onto it for what will probably take weeks of grinding to get to level 27? I'm to meet Yennefer in the area that Ciri nuked, so I must be almost done with the game! I won't even get a chance to enjoy it.

You've hit on one of my main complaints having just finished this game, but you also have a TON of main quest to go.

The level progression is really weird. The game is genuinely challenging until level 10ish at which point you've learned the ropes, have some alchemy recipes and gear, and enough abilities to handle most anything within your level range. Hit level 20 and unless you're advancing the main quest your progression is extremely slow. Secondary quests don't give much XP so levels come slowly and don't do much other than grant a single ability point unless they unlock a Witcher gear upgrade which is important. Otherwise it doesn't feel like you're getting much reward from exploring and side questing.

However, like I said you have many hours of main quest to go after meeting Yen in the nuked Skellige forest. If you critical pathed it maybe... 10 hours? Probably much much more than that, depending on how much Skellige you've done. Doing main plot stuff will level you up very quickly, in particular once you start the point-of-no-return Isle of the Mists quest you'll get literally +4-5 levels in a couple hours mostly for dialogue. It's a weird progression "curve" to be sure, but it sounds like you've been doing a lot of side questing and collecting diagrams which is great but the way the game is balanced most of your levels will come from main quest.

Edit: basically, don't side quest for XP and level progression, it's super slow that way and other than unlocking Witcher set gear requirements levels aren't all that exciting. If you want levels, do main quest. What's that, you think you're nearing the end of the main quest? :smuggo: heh.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 8, 2015

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Stacking is fairly broken in this game. Feline armor + bear swords + fast attack/adrenaline skills let you tear through leshens and other high level poo poo in seconds. I had major trouble going in dry vs a katakan on skellige. All I had to do was go up 3 levels, and use the proper potions/spells. Turned out to be a literal ten second fight.

You're a witcher, efficiency is the name of the game. As Lambert said, 10 crowns/head is poo poo. You have to achieve maximum crowns/hours with what you got :colbert:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've gotten pretty deep into the game now and I've got to say that not only were the people out there saying Geralt is just a generic gruff vidyagame man wrong in previous Witcher games, they're wrong in this one too! Like every Witcher game has had that "complaint" and I just don't get it. I mean look at this face (taken from a random screenshot, it's just an example)

Does this look like the expression of a generic gruff vidyagame man? The facial expressions and general animation in this game are probably two of my favorite things about it. The devs have a very good idea of how to make Geralt look sad or somber without making it out of character:

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005
Patch 1.06 Change Log:

- Added option to dump Triss for Yennefer later in the game.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Hot Jam posted:

Patch 1.06 Change Log:

- Added option to dump Triss for Yennefer later in the game.

CDPR please.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

CJacobs posted:

I've gotten pretty deep into the game now and I've got to say that not only were the people out there saying Geralt is just a generic gruff vidyagame man wrong in previous Witcher games, they're wrong in this one too! Like every Witcher game has had that "complaint" and I just don't get it. I mean look at this face (taken from a random screenshot, it's just an example)

Does this look like the expression of a generic gruff vidyagame man? The facial expressions and general animation in this game are probably two of my favorite things about it. The devs have a very good idea of how to make Geralt look sad or somber without making it out of character:

He looks like a disappointed dad.

School Nickname posted:

Stacking is fairly broken in this game. Feline armor + bear swords + fast attack/adrenaline skills let you tear through leshens and other high level poo poo in seconds. I had major trouble going in dry vs a katakan on skellige. All I had to do was go up 3 levels, and use the proper potions/spells. Turned out to be a literal ten second fight.

You're a witcher, efficiency is the name of the game. As Lambert said, 10 crowns/head is poo poo. You have to achieve maximum crowns/hours with what you got :colbert:

I want to be a Jedi. I'm using Aard and Axii so I can mind push and control minds, and I'm using the deflect arrows skill.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

He looks like a disappointed dad.

Well I mean, he is, so it's fitting!

Although in the latter pic he isn't the only dad being disappointed in that situation

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

The most important thing to consider with all this Yen/Triss nonsense is that when you confess your "love" to bang Triss it's not even a GOOD sex scene; it's just the stock one but with red hair. I'm sure we can all agree that is unacceptable.

Personally I think that needs to be addressed way before this romance mumbojumbo everyone keeps going on about.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I fell through the floor into the basement of a house in novigrad. There is no exit and a bunch of stuff is see-through. Is there an "unstuck" command or do i just have to reload an earlier save?

Im also getting tons of missing textures since the latest patch, its quite a bummer

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 8, 2015

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

I fell through the floor into the basement of a house in novigrad. There is no exit and a bunch of stuff is see-through. Is there an "unstuck" command or do i just have to reload an earlier save?

You unlocked the secret level where you don't have to make a romantic decision you may later regret, Geralt lives out his days as a content hermit. Congrats you've reached your alternate ending.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Are decoctions one-time use only? Or are they refilled like all the other potions? I've been playing this game for pretty much days and I've never tried them.
Also, and huge spoilers maybe, but what questline do I need to start to ensure that Radovid loving dies? I was spoiled by a youtube video of a previous game's character doing him in, and I want to ensure that happens.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
So here's a question: can I do all the conversation stuff with just rank 1 delusion? I've respecced and realized that I took points out of delusion, so I had to revert to a previous save to get myself out of that sticky situation. Luckily, I'm swimming in gold by now and bought another one with 3k crowns to spare. This time, I left myself some extra points in case. I have 1 rank in delusion and 2 floater points for just in case. Are there some axii opportunities that will fail with just 1 point in it? Or all they all possible with just 1? I'd imagine I need all 3 for the later conversations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The conversation option tells you what rank of delusion you need. If you have rank 1 and it's rank 2 or up, you won't be able to select it.

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

vandalism posted:

So here's a question: can I do all the conversation stuff with just rank 1 delusion? I've respecced and realized that I took points out of delusion, so I had to revert to a previous save to get myself out of that sticky situation. Luckily, I'm swimming in gold by now and bought another one with 3k crowns to spare. This time, I left myself some extra points in case. I have 1 rank in delusion and 2 floater points for just in case. Are there some axii opportunities that will fail with just 1 point in it? Or all they all possible with just 1? I'd imagine I need all 3 for the later conversations.

I wasn't able to Axii through some conversations even in early Velen with only rank 1.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

Calaveron posted:

Are decoctions one-time use only? Or are they refilled like all the other potions? I've been playing this game for pretty much days and I've never tried them.
Also, and huge spoilers maybe, but what questline do I need to start to ensure that Radovid loving dies? I was spoiled by a youtube video of a previous game's character doing him in, and I want to ensure that happens.

You can't miss it after finishing up Triss. Just make sure you won't piss off the main architect...

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

GuyUpNorth posted:

You can't miss it after finishing up Triss. Just make sure you won't piss off the main architect...

Ah, so it is the quest with Dijkstra? I thought since there's another quest to find Philippa, and she seems to be the one to stab Radovid, I thought it would be that one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Spite posted:

Nah, I think she's pretty nasty. I mean, she insults everyone to their face, steals weird artifacts and uses them without regard for the cataclysm they may cause, defiles gardens, etc. It goes beyond snark - she really doesn't give a gently caress about anyone but herself, Ciri and Geralt. It's a pretty abusive relationship, really.

Yeah, who would date a woman who runs around stealing things, uses weird artifacts, carves her way through innocent(ish) bystanders, and makes a ton of world-changing decisions while chasing his her daughter around half the world with no regard for the consequences?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Ah, so it is the quest with Dijkstra? I thought since there's another quest to find Philippa, and she seems to be the one to stab Radovid, I thought it would be that one

You're correct, but Dijkstra's thing is required to get there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, who would date a woman who runs around stealing things, uses weird artifacts, carves her way through innocent(ish) bystanders, and makes a ton of world-changing decisions while chasing his her daughter around half the world with no regard for the consequences?

Geralt also doesn't care about anyone except Ciri, Yennefer, and Geralt, but that's because he's a Witcher and he literally can't feel anything toward people he's not close to because that's how Witchers are (pending some player interaction anyway), and also the entire world hates him because of circumstances that are beyond his control or doing (again, because he's a Witcher)

edit: Of course, I'm not saying he and Yennefer aren't a match made in heaven personality-wise, just that you can't really put the blame totally on Geralt for the kind of person he's shaped into over the years. At least, not as much as you can for "normal" humans or sorceresses like Yennefer or Triss.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 8, 2015

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

poptart_fairy posted:

Kill a rock troll.

:getin:

There's a rabid one in a monster den I think east of Lindenvale? It's a nekker den around level 18 with a troll in the middle of it. He hits like a loving comet, so, uh, don't get hit.

Edit: no idea if we're still spoiling non-plot gameplay stuff but I guess people like to explore things.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ugato posted:

"That is well developed prose. I like you." I get that it's reasonable on her part to some degree. I'm not arguing that it's an improper reaction but when this and the dream of Kaer Mohen where she's equally endearing are all you get, the game is mostly force feeding you "YOU LOVE YEN" rather than letting you see it. They should have added a bit more to the beginning of Yen to let you see it. Especially when your romantic entanglement with Triss occurs when you're not quite 1/3 through the game. Triss is a way more attractive option (not in the physical sense) when it comes time to ask her to stay with you. Though the conversation feels like it's the game going "are you suuuuuuuuuure that's what you want? No, seriously, are you really sure?" I really feel odd now talking about the romantic story lines with my Skyrim-with-better-combat game. But I do find myself enjoying all of the story. The criticisms are all absolutely correct, though. The game basically railroads you at Yen for love of your life candidate.

This is an interesting example of the PC and the player disagreeing on something, and you wouldn't see it in a Bioware or Bethesda game with a hollow protagonist. Geralt loves Yen. You can make the decision for Geralt, but he's an established character and the game doesn't really have any obligation to assure the player that he made the right choice for Geralt.

You might not like that you made the wrong dollies kiss, but the whole game is based on having a protagonist with a history and thoughts and motivations. None of it would work without Geralt; the only thing compelling about the story is his relationship with the other characters. Without that it becomes a mundane MacGuffin story. This is how the Witcher gets away with being much more linear than other open-world games without having to do any narrative papering-over of the linearity or doing a song and dance to make the player go after his/her daughter. In a game with a hollow protagonist, you'd have to develop Ciri extensively to make the player care enough to not try to wander off and forget about Ciri entirely. In Fallout or Skyrim you're allowed to ignore the main quest. In the Witcher 3 it's like no, Geralt is going to get his daughter back. Remember how the "your father is in another castle" plot was so weak in Fallout 3? The Witcher 3 has almost the same plot and it succeeds because the protagonist is his own guy. And he raised that kid with Yen. So yeah, you made your action figure man kiss the wrong dolly and you have got to DEAL WITH IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

But then why make it a choice at all? I think fewer people would be complaining as much if the game was "no you're deciding to reunitie with Yennifer or not at all" were the choices but Triss just fits in really awkwardly with the game as presented.