Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Does Test still get the benefits of All-Access automatically? Does that include AA auto-grant? Is the only thing different these days is that you don't get the current expansion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yes yes and yes.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
They sure did put up a new server after all that nerd rage. How empty is it?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

joshtothemaxx posted:

They sure did put up a new server after all that nerd rage. How empty is it?

Packed now. In 3 months, one of them will be a wasteland.

There has been more developer interaction with the TLP servers in the past week than Live has had in six months.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I decided to try a box squad on a live server rather than Test, since the bazaar seemed a lot emptier than I remembered for filling in equipment while I'm leveling.

Is there a regular live server that has 1 or 2 active goons on it right now? It's not a commitment to PL or stick around for me, but in case I stick around until the endgame it'd be nice to be on a server that has a chance at a goon.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Devor posted:

I decided to try a box squad on a live server rather than Test, since the bazaar seemed a lot emptier than I remembered for filling in equipment while I'm leveling.

Is there a regular live server that has 1 or 2 active goons on it right now? It's not a commitment to PL or stick around for me, but in case I stick around until the endgame it'd be nice to be on a server that has a chance at a goon.

In defence of Test, people could have hooked you up with a king's ransom in copied gear, and that's not even mentioning the trivial cost of a raid copy. I don't blame you for wanting to play on a server with more life in it, though.

On another note, still giggling about the fact that you can by Resurrection Tokens on Live and /testcopy those. I knew that they were No-Drop, but I did not realise that they were Heirloom (tradable on the same account only) until it was pointed out to me. This might not seem like a big deal, but my main was made and levelled entirely on Test, but the Heirloom thing allowed me to make an alt on Live, by a bunch of tokens to copy, and then hand them off to my main on Test. That made me happy.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JustJeff88 posted:

In defence of Test, people could have hooked you up with a king's ransom in copied gear, and that's not even mentioning the trivial cost of a raid copy. I don't blame you for wanting to play on a server with more life in it, though.

Yeah, I enjoy the hunt of finding stuff on the bazaar. Also the theorycrafting of my group makeup.

As far as creating a boxed group, I'm waffling a bit on how I want to address tanking of group content. I assume Mage pets can still tank group stuff pretty well? Which would mean the monk can't apply melee DPS when the mage pet is tanking, due to the way pet aggro works. But I really want to have a monk as my leader for flopping around. I didn't enjoy the SK feign with cast time nearly as much as when I was feigning instantly with a button-press.

Or can tank mercs do well enough for group content?

So my first thought was:

Monk - leader / puller, dps
Magician - damage / pet tank for group stuff if necessary
Wizard - ports, damage
Shaman - haste/slow/buffs
Cleric merc
Tank merc / dps merc depending on if tank is good enough to handle things.

Any faulty assumptions in there? Can I rely on the tank merc to let my monk get work in? Or do I need to rely on the mage pet in this group, and maybe commit harder to the 'ranged dps'?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Tank mercs are alright until 75-80 and then their limitations start to show. SKs are probably the better tank as far as small group content goes, and generally recommended (which is why everyone has one).

Your group seems solid, but you'll probably want a real tank if you plan to go past 85 or so.

e: if you plan to do that you should probably drop the wizard for a wiz merc (not sure if dropping the magician is a better idea).

suuma fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 30, 2015

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I personally really like paladins for group content but SKs are well, SKs. If I was gonna 3-box from scratch again I'd probably do Pal/Wiz/Brd with 1-2 cleric mercs and a wizard merc(s) to fill the rest.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Stanos posted:

I personally really like paladins for group content but SKs are well, SKs. If I was gonna 3-box from scratch again I'd probably do Pal/Wiz/Brd with 1-2 cleric mercs and a wizard merc(s) to fill the rest.

What's the cool thing about paladins? I've done an SK up to 85, and they certainly have a lot of fun procs and aggro options.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
SKs have more utility than paladins, and are also better at tanking multiple mobs, which makes them more popular for group content. I would argue, though, that unless one is off-tanking trash in some type of encounter, paladins are better for raids (splash heals are very useful) while warriors are still the kings of tanking the Big Bad Boss mobs. SK 2.0, even after a nerf, is still fantastic. Paladin 2.0 is very good (boost heals), but a pain in the behind to get.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I guess I can get on board with bringing my SK back in. Having a real tank would let me go melee with my other dudes, which is more fun.

Someone suggested swapping out a wizard player for a wizard merc - any reason for that? Boxed wizard seemed pretty easy to use. Also gotta have those ports from that or a druid.

So right now I'm looking at:

Shadowknight - tank/leader
Shaman - haste/slows/sow
Bard - more buffs
Monk - fun melee
Wizard - ports and nukes
Merc Cleric

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Devor posted:

I guess I can get on board with bringing my SK back in. Having a real tank would let me go melee with my other dudes, which is more fun.

Someone suggested swapping out a wizard player for a wizard merc - any reason for that? Boxed wizard seemed pretty easy to use. Also gotta have those ports from that or a druid.

Shaman - haste/slows/sow
Bard - more buffs
Monk - fun melee
Wizard - ports and nukes
Merc Cleric

Wizard does more dps than wizard merc and sit stand sit isn't that bad, I only said it because your tank merc "slot" would be you playing a tank and wasn't sure how many boxes you really wanted to play.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I just started up on the new progression server lockjaw and wanted to try and do tradeskills this time around. I am currently working on tailoring so I can make backpacks to sell. What other tradeskills are good to work on for profit?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Clinton1011 posted:

I just started up on the new progression server lockjaw and wanted to try and do tradeskills this time around. I am currently working on tailoring so I can make backpacks to sell. What other tradeskills are good to work on for profit?

Black smithing if you can get up to banded real quick.

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Oh cool launcher wont work, Ill check website, website wont work, Ill check twitter

oh, maintenance. hey whats this DGC? ill click it

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I, for one, approve of this new marketing strategy.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Clinton1011 posted:

Jewelry is always the most profit-generating, but because of this there are going to be hundreds of people doing it. Go baking/brewing and sell people food. The player-made food gets exponentially better with each expansion.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Slim Killington posted:

Jewelry is always the most profit-generating, but because of this there are going to be hundreds of people doing it. Go baking/brewing and sell people food. The player-made food gets exponentially better with each expansion.

You'll be on to the profitable expansions in 1 or 2 years, tops!

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I mean, if you're concerned with making a load of money on this progression server, you're setting yourself up for disappointment. You're not going to get it through tradeskilling because supply is already way over demand this early on. And you're not going to get it from rare drops, because there are numerous instances of every camp.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I started doing spell research after some guy tried to buy raw supple hides off me for 2pp each and I told him to eat a dick. Got my skill to 92 over the course of a few hours and started selling Kronos worth of spells all night. The thirst is real.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I kinda wish I bought a krono instead of all those gems for the mage pet focus items but oh well. I wonder where they'll be a month from now.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

Shaman - haste/slows/sow
Bard - more buffs
Monk - fun melee
Wizard - ports and nukes
Merc Cleric
I've run the following team for a few years now:

Monk - main char, puller, DPS, secondary tank and just favorite my class
Shaman - buffer, debuffer, secondary healer, utility
Wizard - nukes, teleports
Ranger - bow DPS, buffs, tracking
Cleric merc - main healer
Tank merc - main tank

It has served me very well. A tank merc can very well tank past 85+, you just need to outlevel the content a little bit, i.e. you can't waltz into House of Thule content at level 85 and cruise through; you might want to start at 5 levels above what the content is intended for, but that's alright with me. :)

My Monk can tank fine in a pinch, I just need to be much more active and use my shaman's heals as backup, potentially use defensive discs against nasty named and time my Mend well, but that's also part of the fun challenge. The tank merc allows for fairly lazy playing, unless you push yourself and pull a shitload of mobs, which is also fun now and then. You just buff the tank and you can literally AFK against single mobs as the tank and cleric merc do the work. But as said, if you want a challenge, either dismiss one or both mercs and/or pull multiple mobs. I enjoy being able to focus on DPS on the Monk, and my Monk has by far the best DPS of my group, and it is virtually aggro free as I can always FD away from it.

The shaman buffs are awesome and his utility is awesome. Shaman heals are great, particularly the fast-casting emergency group heals, and they can add more than 10k HP temporarily to a player via a buff. They can cast Spirit of Cheetah with an AA, so you can run around quickly, and also add a lot of DPS with Puma, Focus and epic 2.0. You could replace the shaman with a druid who can also port along with the buffs and heals, but I've just had my shaman for so long, and druid does lack the very imporant haste my monk needs.

The wizard is literally just nukes and ports. He can pump out some nice DPS, although it requires some button pressing if you really want to exploit the DPS, along with juggling aggro reducing spells. The ports are almost worth it alone though, being able to zap around the world as you please is amazing, particularly for someone like me who likes to completely silly anniversary quests, old epics and achievements. Even though we have PoK stones and lots of clickies, it isn't close to what a real porter can do. Evacuate is also amazing for travelling around zones and of course to evac in a pinch.

An alternative to a shaman and wizard could be druid and enchanter - this would cover haste/slow, ports and some nice buffs.

The ranger is completely optional. Bow DPS is not amazing, but not bad either and requires just one button press per mob (arrow nuke spells and /autofire). I like shooting arrows for some reason. He has some nice melee boosting buffs, and tracking is just amazing, even though druids and bards now also have advanced track sorting options (they didn't when I created the ranger). A good alternative would be a bard; also great buffs via songs, and tracking.

I would strongly recommend against having an SK as your main, active tank and then also add a monk. You will simply not have time nor find it fun to have to position him on each mob and press buttons on the monk. A level 85+ monk has a button to press every 2 seconds on average, and just autoattacking will not do much. You will need to switch to him at the very least every 10 seconds to get some reasonable DPS out of him, and the SK can pull almost as well anyway. Add a caster instead, perhaps a magician or something. I think it would be fun to play a "real" main tank instead of a tank merc as the tank merc does make the game rather ez-mode, but it will require a lot of focus and nervousness as your health yo-yos up and down, and you will need to out-gear and/or out-level the content you're playing quite a bit if you rely on a cleric merc to heal you. The tank merc is, against not-too-hard content, a mob magnet that just takes a beating with minimal effort.

Edit: One final thing to add if you want to create a box army is that it's important to choose a main you enjoy playing; then build the team around that. Whether you want to tank on your main or let a merc do it, you should have a main class that you dps, pull and/or tank with that you enjoy, else it's all going to suck. Having a pull-capable class is "best" in my opinion, since it allows you to play that char at all times; both when pulling and fighting.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 3, 2015

Vag Assault Weapon
Aug 12, 2014

Looks like they suspended a poo poo load of mq users on new servers

RIP darkhand

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pilsner posted:

Edit: One final thing to add if you want to create a box army is that it's important to choose a main you enjoy playing; then build the team around that. Whether you want to tank on your main or let a merc do it, you should have a main class that you dps, pull and/or tank with that you enjoy, else it's all going to suck. Having a pull-capable class is "best" in my opinion, since it allows you to play that char at all times; both when pulling and fighting.

Thanks for all these words. Makes me feel better about dropping the SK and sticking with 4 boxes. Monk/Shaman/Bard/Wiz/Merc/Merc.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I have a request for you goony goons and fellow EQ nerds. I'm thinking about developing an MMO oral history project in the coming months. I want to focus on EQ and EQ2 for now, then maybe branch out. I've been playing a ton on Ragefire lately, and even though I knew it would be nostalgic as hell, I'm surprised about how many of my own stories I'm remembering from 10+ years ago that I had totally forgotten. Right now, I'm asking people to tell me stories through this lame Google form.

I'm not making money off this. I'm not selling anything. I'm not being an rear end in a top hat here. As I gather stories, I plan on putting them on a wikia page for public display, and if the project really takes off then I'll make a zazzy website.

Anyways, here's the link: http://goo.gl/forms/xzwQp9HlVX

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Having a lot of fun on Lockjaw. I have been playing Druid, Mage, Mage with the goal of farming some gear to level a real team later.

In a week or two I'll probably start a SK, Cleric, Enchanter. If anyone would like to play with me when I do it would be a good time to start.

Irrational Man
Aug 10, 2004
I'd be down, right now I'm solo leveling a mage with the same idea of using him to get ahead. Name is Francis. Probably start boxing later too, but I wanted to get the lay of the land first. I'm a pretty big poopsocker right now, so I bet we'd get along great. Send me a tell in game or post your charname. Same goes for anyone else who'd like to work together.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Went to lguk around 9 pm tonight and frenzy was open. There was a group at am hand lord which was the camp we wanted for xp and loot. They said they would let us know when they left and we settled into frenzy for about two hours. The other group was trying to get a smr for one of their casters and had been camping it about 18 hours by that point with all pants. They give up and leave and we move to the safe corner inside magus room and settle in for the next 8 hours because one of the group members bought two 25% group xp potions. Magus spawned five or six times and everyone got pants I ended up with three serpentine rings darkmail gauntlets and a lord helm to put on my level one paladin. After being camped for over 24 hours by our groups combined no smr. We never got a yak either.

r0rb
Oct 14, 2012
SMR is pretty rare but yaks always seem to drop like candy. Anyways I used sola for my cash cow, from leveling my 3-box crew from 22-32 I've fully outfitted my warrior with crafted and 2 yaks, and heavily geared my enchanter and Druid. I have 2k in cash and 10 Kronos leftover from the profits. That zone is just so good for cash as even most of the common drops sell very quickly in the 200 range, and some of the rares can go for 1500+ (I traded a pair of imp skin gloves for 2 Kronos)

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Irrational and I have started playing our new group. We are doing SK/Clr/Rog/Enc/Mage. We hit level 20 today.

If anyone is on Lockjaw and would like to group at some point just talk to Marsh, Francis, Philip, or Miller in game.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Guk is mega ridiculous cesspool. People /pick and snipe nameds right in front of you, train, camp stuff for 18hours straight. It's insane. The exp is still really good, so it's hard to not want to get into groups doing it, but drat. It's weird that people would camp guk nameds for 10 hours and get jack poo poo instead of farming the hole or seafury cyclopses and make like 3x more consistent plat.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm not sure I want to keep playing on lockjaw. It is a terrible experience. I'm pretty sick of getting trained and kill stealed by mage armies including tulkas himself just now. The fact that the guy is macro questing to get all the loot on the server to sell for us dollars and DBG is just letting it happen is incredibly lovely and is going to drive tons of players away from the server.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm not sure I want to keep playing on lockjaw. It is a terrible experience. I'm pretty sick of getting trained and kill stealed by mage armies including tulkas himself just now. The fact that the guy is macro questing to get all the loot on the server to sell for us dollars and DBG is just letting it happen is incredibly lovely and is going to drive tons of players away from the server.

I think once they add instanced raids, and they will, the server will be good. Once that hits he won't be able to pay his rent playing here anymore.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah I have zero intentions of even considering playing until at least instanced raid content. No part of the clusterfuck that was PoP flagging sounds fun to me at my age.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
College me very much wants PoP zones and flagging and Vex Thal keying back, just to weed out like half the population of the server.

Grown up me with responsibilities and poo poo, not so sure.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Slim Killington posted:

College me very much wants PoP zones and flagging and Vex Thal keying back, just to weed out like half the population of the server.

Grown up me with responsibilities and poo poo, not so sure.

Just remember the Maiden's Eye shard camp for Vex Thal key, or lazy shits not camping their Emperor Key parts because Ssra exp blows and crying for years because they didn't get one of the first power sources and let the rage fill you.

For PoP, Saryrn tower keying or getting a non-retard mage who can bypass the door and you tolerating summoning a bunch of morons who can't, or dipshits blowing the lower Crypt of Decay flags for others because you already have it and hail the dude repeatedly, who only gives out 18 every time you do the carprin cycle.

I'll be very amused if I hear Emperor is still bugged and only spawns once per server reset / zone crash.

Fartpopper
Feb 16, 2010

Hoohah posted:

Just remember the Maiden's Eye shard camp for Vex Thal key, or lazy shits not camping their Emperor Key parts because Ssra exp blows and crying for years because they didn't get one of the first power sources and let the rage fill you.

For PoP, Saryrn tower keying or getting a non-retard mage who can bypass the door and you tolerating summoning a bunch of morons who can't, or dipshits blowing the lower Crypt of Decay flags for others because you already have it and hail the dude repeatedly, who only gives out 18 every time you do the carprin cycle.

I'll be very amused if I hear Emperor is still bugged and only spawns once per server reset / zone crash.

I remember all of these and still shudder. Only thing possibly worse is when GoD first came out and combined impossible mobs with retarded flagging.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I missed all that, everyone I played with (including myself) quit at the release of that expansion. Our entire server-first guild folded basically because of GoD. The people who didn't leave because of PoP and LDoN, that is. GoD was the death knell of EQ for classic-era players, and we tolerated a lot up to that point so that should tell you how bad that expansion was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Fartpopper posted:

I remember all of these and still shudder. Only thing possibly worse is when GoD first came out and combined impossible mobs with retarded flagging.

I'm still in the nuts category that really enjoyed ultra difficult GoD. Maybe its because I was maining a healer at the time, and this was the first thing where it wasn't about timing complete heal to land but instead having to swap to other spells constantly. It made me feel like a god drat hero every time I took a group through Tipt or the group Ikkinz trials.

Then again, the Ikkinz raids were also hilariously bugged in our favor (several things present now weren't originally) so I had a ton of fun on those as well while still getting some progression. It was only Uqua doing twice the damage it does now that stopped people while they finished the downscaling changes and for their one good developer to complete the scripts and events for Inktu'ta.

I know people rag like hell on the 'space aliens' thing but I really, really like the lore of GoD. Honestly I wish they had changed it up a bit so that the Muramites were less the focus until Omens of War and the story had you fighting the Trusik until Txevu / Tacvi, but the whole Nihil / Trusik war, blowing up the portal in Qvic, and the frankly tense dive into Inktu'ta made up for any Muramite weirdness.

GoD was only the end of classic because people didn't want ridiculous challenges (yes I'm aware Uqua was literally unbeatable in its first state) and SoE did nothing to say 'hey guys, we made a whoops and are fixing it but its going to take a little time' right as WoW's beta was coming around. Instead the devs just sorta shrugged and wanted to see how far Fires of Heaven, Afterlife, Triton, TR, etc could get before it was impossible, with hopes that it would shut them up about difficulty curves being too easy.