Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Paul Zuvella posted:

I felt really awesome after talking her down, but I feel like if I had failed I would have thought it was super cheap and annoying. No real in between.

We'll see though, I'm playing through with my girlfriend and she blew through Kate's room in like 2 minutes so there is no way she is saving her.

I think the point of Kate is encouraging you, if you haven't already, to be observant, go through all the dialogue, etc. (And also it's a good idea to do that IRL if someone you know is showing these signs.) It's a reward for not blowing through the game. Similarly you can learn a lot in the diner sequence in part 3 or I'm guessing you can get away with some bare minimum.

I've started taking all the "sit down" prompts even though there is probably no direct payoff, just because they are great character moments.

I was a bit skeptical at first of this game and my ability to enjoy it as an old dude but it's surprisingly good.

Even if the puzzles are relatively easy, they all make a lot of sense both in the context of the story and how you solve them - something most adventure games struggle with. You may need to poke around and be more observant but that is how it should be.

I liked Remember Me too, but this is better and I hope Dontnod keeps making good games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm really looking forward to their vampire RPG.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I keep seeing people on the Internet asking if Remember Me is any good :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

woodenchicken posted:

Remember Me is very very pretty, but it's written like it has the first few pages of what was probably a really good script continued on by interns with crayon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

woodenchicken posted:

Because it's not very good as a game, but has an interesting premise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paladinus posted:

Because it's not very good as a game, but has an interesting premise.

My favourite bit is them trying set up customizable combo strikes a-la God Hand, then utterly obliterating that into dust with the need for a combo of straight healing strikes to deal with the electrified guards that turn up by the half-dozen in every encounter of the second half of the game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Actually I didn't need to use a ton of healing strikes at any point in the game, maybe you should just "get good" heh :smug:

Remember Me is gorgeous and genuinely quite fun. It suffers from mediocre/weird writing (drat French people) but it's a solid C+/B- type game that I would not hesitate to recommend if you can get it cheap (or free, it was free for PS+ on PS3, so some of you may already "own" it and forgot about it).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Remember Me really sounds like the first game of a fledgling studio that didn't really have a grasp of their strengths and weaknesses and what works and what doesn't yet.

It shows that they really learned alot from Remember Me when you compare it to Life is Strange.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I like Remember Me. It's flawed and the writing is off at times, but it's fun and innovative and gorgeous. Also has really really good music which seems to be something DontNod are good at.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The guy who did the Alone in the Dark remake and Obscure series soundtracks also did Remember Me's. He's really good and should do more games.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

Remember Me really sounds like the first game of a fledgling studio that didn't really have a grasp of their strengths and weaknesses and what works and what doesn't yet.

It shows that they really learned alot from Remember Me when you compare it to Life is Strange.

They took everyone's favorite mechanic from Remember Me (the memory rewrite sequences) and basically made a game around a modified version of it.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Just played through the game and so far the biggest mystery is this:

Who was building art academies in what is now Oregon in the 18th Century?

Edit: I'm hoping it was Max.

Georgia Peach fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 5, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SirSamVimes posted:

I like Remember Me. It's flawed and the writing is off at times, but it's fun and innovative and gorgeous. Also has really really good music which seems to be something DontNod are good at.

It also manages to be a better cyberpunk world than Shadowrun Dragonfall (though DF's is not bad).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

It also manages to be a better cyberpunk world than Shadowrun Dragonfall (though DF's is not bad).

If you want good cyberpunk, try Technobabylon. It's a fantastic adventure game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want good cyberpunk, try Technobabylon. It's a fantastic adventure game.

Didn't know the Blackwell team had a new game out, thanks. Looks good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

precision posted:

Didn't know the Blackwell team had a new game out, thanks. Looks good.

They're just producing this one but it's probably one of, if not the, best game they've put out thus far.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They're just producing this one but it's probably one of, if not the, best game they've put out thus far.

This one or Primordia's the best, but so far Technobabylon might win out.

They've done such a great job with the characters.

EDIT: \/ Dex is pretty good too, though it's got a more action bent to it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 6, 2015

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

I liked Dex.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Just finished Episode 3 and I gotta say, that was quite an unexpected turn of events. I wonder if the culmination of all five episodes will somehow be choosing between the alternate timeline Max created and the current one.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I bought and played through the game this weekend and man, it's stuck with me in a weird way. It's by no means an amazing game, and it has obvious rough spots but I'm thinking about it an awful lot. Can't wait for the next ep. And I sure hope the ending doesn't suck...

It's a shame there's no interviews about the game out there with the voice actors, I would've liked to see that. I keep wondering if some of the voices are recorded together because there's occasionally a more natural sounding back and forth than other games have, but that could just be in the direction.

Seems like there's a lot of Warren hate and a lot of Max/Chloe shippers out there. I have literally no idea what to do there if there even are choices about this, it's hard to figure out the line between Max as a written, fixed character and Max as a character shaped by my choices.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I feel that there are a lot of subtextual clues that I've been missing. The spirit animal connections, the Native American imagery and symbolism, all the little permutations in timelines you can get by rewinding a scene. I'm usually good at sniffing this stuff out but for some reason I can't see how it's all going to connect yet.

Anyway, "My So-Called Life Meets Twin Peaks" is such a perfect concept that I can't believe it took this long to make. I'd definitely watch the HBO TV adaptation of Life is Strange.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
"What antics are Maxine and Chloe up to this week?"

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
It reminds me of Sliders. I'm looking forward to Max and Chloe having to fight the Communist Scourge in the world where Max accidentally killed Hitler.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

woodenchicken posted:

"What antics are Maxine and Chloe up to this week?"

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Holy poo poo :lol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The fact that the person who made this goes by the name "HUGGYBEAR" is incredibly confusing to me.

e: both in reference to the character AND the band, either way

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Holy drat poo poo.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
So was giving this a quick replay over the weekend and I'd forgotten that Max never calls Chloe for the five years she's missing. It's never really explained why either, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they wouldn't Text or anything what with being best friends, but I'm not really sure how Max's powers could gently caress things up like that either.

Maybe it starts at a new branch of a previous timeline? Might explain why she just suddenly gets powers in the middle of class for no real reason, though not why she doesn't know about them. Also if there's a time Max would go back to "The time my best friend was killed" would be it.

Fans fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jun 15, 2015

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sometimes you just kind of abruptly lose touch with people, even when you're close to them. I moved away when I was a teenager, and even in the age of instant messenger and email it's hard to maintain relationships when you're sixteen and have no way of getting around. I think Max mentions that she also felt weird talking to Chloe after her father's death, and it seems she moved to Seattle not long thereafter. She may also feel guilt in allowing Chloe's dad to die, assuming the new alternate timeline consciousness thing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Sometimes time passes by and you left it so long, it's hard to pick up that phone. :smith:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe the people who wrote the game are old enough to remember a time when, if you moved to a new town while you were in school, you just stopped talking to your old friends. I moved around a lot before I got to high school and I never once kept in touch with all the "super best friends" I had made in each place.

The world before the Internet and cell phones was weird man.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My best friend moved away when we were 10. She promised to call and write but she never did. Then I ran into her again at college which was really random since we both ended up going to the same random liberal arts college and we became friends again. So basically yeah it does happen.

One might even say that life is... strange.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

would have been better in the alternate timeline imo

Rosalind posted:

:getout:

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

precision posted:

The world before the Internet and cell phones was weird man.

Yeah it was, but Max wasn't in a world before Internet and Cell Phones. She left town in 2008. Well into the time of cellphones and Facebook.

Rosalind posted:

:argh:

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
I've list touch with good friends I moved away from in 2011. poo poo happens and a real life friendship doesn't always move to internet that well. Or you just get busy and whoops too much time has gone. And her dad wasn't even freshly dead in my case :V

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'm terrible at keeping in touch when friends move away. If we can't hang out, everything just kinda ends and it sucks balls :(

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Fans posted:

So was giving this a quick replay over the weekend and I'd forgotten that Max never calls Chloe for the five years she's missing. It's never really explained why either, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they wouldn't Text or anything what with being best friends, but I'm not really sure how Max's powers could gently caress things up like that either.

It's because Max is self-involved and a bad human.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Life is Strange is currently on sale. Episode one is 50% off, the rest are 20% off.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
This is probably the best place to bring this up, DONTNOD released a teaser and more info about their next game, Vampyr, a vampire RPG set during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Release date is in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpT4LLxFv4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

This is probably the best place to bring this up, DONTNOD released a teaser and more info about their next game, Vampyr, a vampire RPG set during the Spanish Flu pandemic. Release date is in 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpT4LLxFv4

Kind of concerned that their publisher for this one is Focus, did they list their relationship with Square Enix?

• Locked thread