Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That doesn't make him a fighter. He fights because he wants to fight, not because he enjoys fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Genocyber posted:

That doesn't make him a fighter. He fights because he wants to fight, not because he enjoys fighting.

Yes but the Cell fight wasn't for the sport of it. It was to stop Cell, save the world and avenge all the people he killed.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
That part, Piccolo is actually wrong though. Gohan himself is pretty certain he has the power Goku believes in but was afraid of giving in to his rage. Not that Goku was right either but it's not like Gohan wasn't ready to fight either, he just isn't going to relish it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

I also bought a shitload of Jojo manga which I had never read before (I had only played the rom for th arcade game) and it is an amazing punch mans and its art is hugely different from DBZ in every way. I might put up some comparisons of similar situations since the volumes I bought (Jotaro vs Dio) were published at the same time as later DBZ.

Hold off on this until at least Friday, possibly next Friday. The JoJo anime is at that part now, and some people might get a little mad about spoilers.

e: alternately, post it in the JoJo manga thread, I think everyone's familiar enough with DBZ that the comparisons would work there too.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Genocyber posted:

Goku and Vegeta live to fight, while Gohan fights to live. The thing is, he's seen that there's plenty of hosed up guys out there that are incredibly strong and have no compunction about using it, that they pop up regularly and that you need to be strong to fight them. And he's spent years prior to Cell training to fight them himself, Cell was just the culmination of that drive because it finally unveiled the hidden potential that the series had been talking about for so long. Everything is there that you could easily have him become someone who trains and fights despite not having the same innate passion for fighting as his father does, but because he wants to protect those around him and is willing to sacrifice a little personal happiness to do so. Toriyama went a different way, but if he'd had Gohan really run with the Great Siayaman thing and been the new main character there'd be no-one particularly shocked by it because all the ingredients are there - he just decided to go a different route instead.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Hold off on this until at least Friday, possibly next Friday. The JoJo anime is at that part now, and some people might get a little mad about spoilers.

e: alternately, post it in the JoJo manga thread, I think everyone's familiar enough with DBZ that the comparisons would work there too.

Thoughts:

1. How many Jojo animes are there?!
2. Spoilers: Dio says "the world" a lot, develops a bad scalp itch.
3. The English dub of the early 90s OVA is very accurate but hilariously literal and everyone should watch it for an example of how not to localize a script.
4. I'm scared to post in the Jojo manga thread, I don't know what they're like there :ohdear:
5. Yare yare daze

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Xibanya posted:

If you're personally worried about spoiling anyone, I think the current Jojo anime is going to pass that point in two weeks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Xibanya posted:

Thoughts:

There's the old 12 part OVA, and the current series, in its 4th season.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Isn't it two seasons of Jojos? Two seasons that had two breaks each?

Goku's perspective with Cell works, really. He's been fighting with Gohan for 4 years straight, he knows that when Gohan gets mad enough, he completely wrecks poo poo, and he senses Gohan and senses Cell and knows Gohan is way above Cell. He also knows Cell fights pretty much EXACTLY the same as Goku does (thanks Goku genes), so he figures that Cell will fight Gohan and bring out Gohan's potential just like his own dad did, and isn't worried about it, really. He probably thinks that will result in a Cell reform along the way, like with every other villain.

Unfortunately, he forgot about the Freeza genes...

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The pilaf genes are what drive cell

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Darko posted:

Isn't it two seasons of Jojos? Two seasons that had two breaks each?

As far as I understand it, seasons 1 and 2 cover parts 1 and 2 of JoJo, and then Part 3 gets seasons 3 and 4, since it's pretty much the longest part of the manga.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

jivjov posted:

As far as I understand it, seasons 1 and 2 cover parts 1 and 2 of JoJo, and then Part 3 gets seasons 3 and 4, since it's pretty much the longest part of the manga.

Season 1 covers Part 1 and 2. Part 1 is 9 Episodes and Part 2 is the rest.

Season 2 and 3 are covering Stardust Crusaders, and are pointedly titled Stardust Crusaders and Egypt Arc.

Right now the Anime is in DIO'S WORLD with Jotaro and Dio about to start their fight

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Onmi posted:

Season 1 covers Part 1 and 2. Part 1 is 9 Episodes and Part 2 is the rest.

Season 2 and 3 are covering Stardust Crusaders, and are pointedly titled Stardust Crusaders and Egypt Arc.

Right now the Anime is in DIO'S WORLD with Jotaro and Dio about to start their fight

I've been watching Stardust Crusaders. I just had the season divisions wrong.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Xibanya posted:

Thoughts:

3. The English dub of the early 90s OVA is very accurate but hilariously literal and everyone should watch it for an example of how not to localize a script.
4. I'm scared to post in the Jojo manga thread, I don't know what they're like there :ohdear:
5. Yare yare daze

1. There's two, there's an old OVA covering a good chunk of Part 3 and there's a new TV anime by David Production that started with Part 1 and is currently up to the Part 3 Dio fight. The latter got a lot of Anglophones into JoJo who couldn't give a poo poo beforehand.
2. That's... er, not what I was thinking of. Steamroller? Knives? Hidden copy of Weekly Shonen Jump? Etc?
3. The guys who play Dio and Joseph in that singlehandedly redeem it with their delivery.
4. It's pretty chill, just expect spoilers
5. Muda muda :colbert:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Road roller :colbert:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what I meant, but yeah, definitely hold off till Friday or next Friday if that's in the chunk you were gonna post.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Christ, all this talk about Jojo (in the DBZ thread of all places) has made me want to try reading it again.

The first story arc of that series blew chunks so I gave up after 5 chapters, but I hear they're broken up into different unrelated sections or something? What's the one that gets good, what chapter does it start at?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Watch the anime up until Stardust Crusaders ends week after next, then look up Part IV (Diamond is Unbreakable) on your manga site of choice.

Part 2, Battle Tendency, is where it "gets good" but the anime is seriously a perfect adaptation, there's no reason not to watch it instead of reading it unless you strongly prefer manga (and Phantom Blood is rough as hell in the manga, whereas it's pretty fun in the anime).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Parrotine posted:

Christ, all this talk about Jojo (in the DBZ thread of all places) has made me want to try reading it again.

The first story arc of that series blew chunks so I gave up after 5 chapters, but I hear they're broken up into different unrelated sections or something? What's the one that gets good, what chapter does it start at?

It follows a single family line from the late 19th century into modern day. The different story arcs are marked by the defeat of a primary antagonist and shift to a new main JoJo, but they aren't at all unrelated. Part 1 is ridiculously short so I'm sure you can power through it. It's 9 episode of the anime and 5 volumes of the manga. Part 2 is where things start to become properly "JoJo-esque" but if you don't read or watch Part 1 you'll be missing a fair bit of backstory for Parts 2 and 3. I would suggest watching the anime for Part 1 because it condenses stuff in a good way for the sake of pacing, though with Part 2 you can go either way, they're both fantastic.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Even the anime for part 1 becomes a slog after the first handful of episodes, but since this is the DBZ thread, I think you can handle some not-so-great episodes for a little while. The first three minutes of part 2 felt like an apology for having to watch it.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Parrotine posted:

Not entirely unrelated. I would probably tell you to just get back to reading.

Early (most of volume 1) Phantom Blood is just "Dio was a super dick as a child", but it just serves to set up Volume 2-5's "Dio is a super dick, also now he's trying to kill Jonathan, also the stone mask is bad news" I agree that part 1 is a fair bit rough though. Minor spoiler from volume 3 to whet your appetite Vampire Jack The Ripper shoots scalpels from his body by flexing

V Or watching, yeah.

Exercu fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jun 8, 2015

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
If you're going to experience JoJo, just watch the anime. It is good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Momomo posted:

Even the anime for part 1 becomes a slog after the first handful of episodes, but since this is the DBZ thread, I think you can handle some not-so-great episodes for a little while. The first three minutes of part 2 felt like an apology for having to watch it.

it's 8 episodes. it's too short to become a slog, frankly.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
You're telling me there are people who haven't played the arcade game?

Go play the arcade game people, it even has the manga covers in it! Warning: some spoilers may happen...

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's kinda amazing that that one JoJo meme is so old that there's people who don't know what'll happen in the DIO fight because of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Even when the meme was new, it's not like it said where it was from. Back when I was like 7 or 8 I knew about the steamroller and WRYYYYYYYYYY but had no clue it was from a manga or anime or anything other than a weird little stickman animation.

e: And the JoJo game has always been more of a cult classic than something terribly popular, it's not even on the same level as Super Turbo as far as its scene I'm pretty sure.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=67&v=yJ7ZgeKx8a8

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Does anyone have any footage/articles/whatever of the reactions to super saiyan goku from back when it actually happened in the manga? I'm curious since those of us who saw it later were kinda spoiled (didn't stop it being :krad:) but I wonder what it was like for someone who actually had no idea what it would be like. Kinda like how I wonder what the Darth Vader reveal was actually like when the film came out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

sharktamer posted:

Does anyone have any footage/articles/whatever of the reactions to super saiyan goku from back when it actually happened in the manga? I'm curious since those of us who saw it later were kinda spoiled (didn't stop it being :krad:) but I wonder what it was like for someone who actually had no idea what it would be like. Kinda like how I wonder what the Darth Vader reveal was actually like when the film came out.

I doubt much of that still exists. In those days people didn't have the resources to share information like we do now. It could have been leaked to the "media" or something, but that's about it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ChronoReverse posted:

That part, Piccolo is actually wrong though. Gohan himself is pretty certain he has the power Goku believes in but was afraid of giving in to his rage. Not that Goku was right either but it's not like Gohan wasn't ready to fight either, he just isn't going to relish it.

I've always figured it to be that Gohan isn't scared of Cell, he's just terrified of exactly what'll happen if he unleashes his full power. Like, just utterly terrified that if he does he'll destroy the planet.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I've always figured it to be that Gohan isn't scared of Cell, he's just terrified of exactly what'll happen if he unleashes his full power. Like, just utterly terrified that if he does he'll destroy the planet.

It's funny to me how early in the series they played the "my true power can destroy worlds" card- even with loving Nappa powering up causing earthquakes- and yet we have literal GODS facing off now and the planet seems to be doing just fine.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Clearly the Earth itself has been training! Now the land can resist several Nappas at once! :pseudo:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

New Leaf posted:

It's funny to me how early in the series they played the "my true power can destroy worlds" card- even with loving Nappa powering up causing earthquakes- and yet we have literal GODS facing off now and the planet seems to be doing just fine.

But the earth is fine because they are gods. Think about it, when you're mortal your power is unweildy, you do things like break glasses when you pick them up because you misjudged your control, but Goku and Beerus in BoG were not like mortals, there fight wasn't bombastic, someone actually complained to me that the fight looked very simple compared to other DB fights. The thing is it's like how Beerus is not muscled and SSG Goku was slimmer. In Toriyama's mind, becoming a God means overcoming the muscles to show power and the beam blasts that vaporizes cities. It's being able to throw a punch that can annihilate a suburb and just having it hit like regular.

When Beerus and Goku fought through the city, they didn't touch a single car, building or bridge even though they're both swinging around enough power to make super hero movies that end with orgasmic destruction sequences blush.

Being powerful means things blow up. Being God-Level means nothing has to blow up.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

New Leaf posted:

That never really stopped; the characters with that power made sure they didn't aim any explosive blasts downwards (and it was a HUGE deal if they did), and the villains wanted to keep the planet together to fight the heroes, for the most part. It's pathetically easy for them to blow up the planet now a beat up and weakened Freeza just puts his hand down on the planet and is like, "gently caress this poo poo" at the end of Revival of F, to blow it up.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Clearly the Earth has gotten several Zenkai boosts over the years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

That never really stopped; the characters with that power made sure they didn't aim any explosive blasts downwards (and it was a HUGE deal if they did), and the villains wanted to keep the planet together to fight the heroes, for the most part. It's pathetically easy for them to blow up the planet now a beat up and weakened Freeza just puts his hand down on the planet and is like, "gently caress this poo poo" at the end of Revival of F, to blow it up.

Yeah, doesn't Cell freak the gently caress out when Goku is charging his Kamehameha before he does the warp to get behind him?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, doesn't Cell freak the gently caress out when Goku is charging his Kamehameha before he does the warp to get behind him?

Yup. Both Cell and everyone think he's bluffing and get worried when it's clear he's not. Then he teleports before shooting.

Before that, while fighting the newly-Perfect Cell, Vegeta started charging a Final Flash aimed at the island Cell and the rest were on and that could destroy the planet too. It was the first show that Vegeta was changing, because he shot it then moved it a second before hitting, thus not destroying the Earth.

During the fight with Cell, not only does he charge a Kamehameha powerful enough to destroy the planet (stopped by SS2 Gohan's own Kamehameha), at the end of the fight he makes one strong enough to destroy the whole Solar System (named Solar Kamehameha in BT3, Perfect Kamehameha in Xenoverse).

In the Buu Saga, Dabura points out that with 200 or 300 kiri (the power level measure used by Babidi) you have enough power to destroy a couple of planets, and Goku has 3000 as a Super Saiyan. By that time a non-serious Goku could easily destroy ten planets.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
But are they powerful enough to blow up a star?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yup. Both Cell and everyone think he's bluffing and get worried when it's clear he's not. Then he teleports before shooting.

Before that, while fighting the newly-Perfect Cell, Vegeta started charging a Final Flash aimed at the island Cell and the rest were on and that could destroy the planet too. It was the first show that Vegeta was changing, because he shot it then moved it a second before hitting, thus not destroying the Earth.

During the fight with Cell, not only does he charge a Kamehameha powerful enough to destroy the planet (stopped by SS2 Gohan's own Kamehameha), at the end of the fight he makes one strong enough to destroy the whole Solar System (named Solar Kamehameha in BT3, Perfect Kamehameha in Xenoverse).

In the Buu Saga, Dabura points out that with 200 or 300 kiri (the power level measure used by Babidi) you have enough power to destroy a couple of planets, and Goku has 3000 as a Super Saiyan. By that time a non-serious Goku could easily destroy ten planets.

I blast Perfect Kamehamehas into the ground all the time in Xenoverse and all it does is create a small dent that fades away after a few seconds. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mraagvpeine posted:

But are they powerful enough to blow up a star?

Certainly not in Cooler's Revenge or Broly Returns, as they both got blasted into the sun by a Kamehemeha.

• Locked thread