Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hi, my name is Rupert Buttermilk, and I was once just like you; running scared from Revenants and making GBS threads myself in fear. But with the help of dodging, weaving, and learning to get my steel all up in their business, I can proudly say that it is the Revenants who are now doing the making GBS threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I wasn't aware they had a digestive tract left to poo poo from.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
They poo poo rockets, complete with steamers.

COBRARocky
Jul 28, 2013

please help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCF5f0hSfKg

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE RATTLE

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Once you fight enough Vores from Quake 1, you realize that Revenants are complete chumps. In Q1's Nightmare mode, Vore bombs are impossible to shake off if they get close to you. Even in non-Nightmare difficulties, the only way to get a Vore bomb off of you is to take a very sharp and sudden turn; trying to get rid of them like they were Revenant missiles doesn't work.

I mean, there's a particular reason why there's a Quad Damage inside the Vore-filled final room in Q1's E4M7, and it's not because they wanted to make things easy; they wanted to give you a fighting chance.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Quake has probably the most challenging monster roster of all classic 3d shooter. Except soldiers, cyborgs and dogs, everything else may cause major trouble, if not dealt with properly. Double so because you rarely have full nailgun ammo, and shotguns are just to weak, and grenade/rocket launcher may kill you just as well.

Speaking of Quake, I got a small bonus at work, so I bought from an auction site PC Gamer Quake Guide with Deathmatch Maker and Quake 2 Special Issue. And seller threw in Malice as a bonus after a short chat about retro shooters :) can't wait to dig into those magazines, hopefully they will be full of kickin rad nostalgia.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Hey, Goons who have some spare time, eyeball this and give me your thoughts.

Demonsteele manual

Comments are enabled if you want to highlight anything that needs correcting. I mostly want to know if it helps!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Demonsteele manual

Comments are enabled if you want to highlight anything that needs correcting. I mostly want to know if it helps!

Did a first pass on spelling/grammar and a couple of comments suggesting phrasing changes. :v:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Thanks! But your recommendation of deleting all the extra u's is disheartening. :smith:

:ssh: I tried to stop myself, I really did.

E: Just to be clear, over-life tokens respect your chosen difficulty, so ramen doesn't always give 3!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED?!

Seriously though, is this just so people don't combine brutal and demonsteele?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Thyrork posted:

Thanks! But your recommendation of deleting all the extra u's is disheartening. :smith:

You kept alternating between armour and armor, so I just picked one and stuck with it.

Thyrork posted:

E: Just to be clear, over-life tokens respect your chosen difficulty, so ramen doesn't always give 3!

Fair enough.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 7, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

What have you done? WHAT HAVE YOU UNLEASHED?!

Seriously though, is this just so people don't combine brutal and demonsteele?
Basically. You can also see it without trying to mix chocolate and peanut butter by going to Options > DemonSteele Options and switching "OH gently caress! SKELETONS!" to On.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Chittering golden goblin skeletons is so so funny.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Thyrork posted:

Demonsteele manual

There's a section there about extra configs but I don't have any of those in Zandronum. Is that a Zdoom only thing?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It is, but all of them can be set with console commands. Custom option menus are still really new in Zdoom, so Zandro isn't getting them for another 3 years.

code:
dst_noshotgunlimiter 
dst_noshotgun  
dst_nochaingun      
dst_nospecials    
dst_infinitesouls     
dst_arrogantweapons 
dst_gunsouls        
dst_doomhealth      
dst_2brutal           
dst_backpackstart   
dst_omenstart       
dst_nodamagepenalty  
dst_runmod          

dst_cl_nomusic          
dst_cl_norecoil         
dst_cl_toasterzdoom  
dst_cl_toaster         
dst_cl_autoswitch       
dst_cl_nobeeping      
dst_cl_nopoints         
 dst_cl_noannouncer     

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Elliotw2 posted:

It is, but all of them can be set with console commands. Custom option menus are still really new in Zdoom, so Zandro isn't getting them for another 3 years.

Thanks a lot. I wanted to mess around with the iron maiden but I never had enough souls.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to disable the stupid swingy bits under guns in BD? They're so distracting and really poorly done.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Elliotw2 posted:

[code]

I should put that in the manual I guess!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thyrork posted:

Demonsteele manual

Put in a bunch of comments. Mostly I think formatting needs to be worked on, and IMO ideally the document should be made so that it can be exported easily to .pdf (so it can be included with future releases of Demonsteele).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Elliotw2 posted:

Betas of Zandro 3.0 are already available, though I have no idea how long it'll be before the official release. It's "Scheduled For Release 2016-02-01" but the date for 2.0 was passed over by several years, so who knows?
http://zandronum.com/tracker/roadmap_page.php

Bottom line is that you can already have a mostly working custom menu in Zanders, if you really want to.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Segmentation Fault posted:

Put in a bunch of comments. Mostly I think formatting needs to be worked on, and IMO ideally the document should be made so that it can be exported easily to .pdf (so it can be included with future releases of Demonsteele).

Thanks seg. Didn't agree with some of it and I just decided to cut the wad's out, felt funny to me before, like sidetracking from the manual at hand. The resizing of the specials looks much better and I uploaded the larger gifs just incase someone needs to see it big.

Also yes, that offending blank page at the end. :argh:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Betas of Zandro 3.0 are already available, though I have no idea how long it'll be before the official release. It's "Scheduled For Release 2016-02-01" but the date for 2.0 was passed over by several years, so who knows?
http://zandronum.com/tracker/roadmap_page.php

Bottom line is that you can already have a mostly working custom menu in Zanders, if you really want to.

Maybe that's one of those "joke" things people are raving about

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Thanks for the Demonsteele manual, goons. Glad to finally find out what's going on here.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I think we can all agree that shamblers are way cuter than cacos.

Shamblers are major weeaboos with their kamehameha charge, so that makes them kawaii desu by default.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Aright the manual's done. For now at least. Thanks tons for helping polish it!

uncleKitchener posted:

Thanks for the Demonsteele manual, goons. Glad to finally find out what's going on here.

Glad it helped. :unsmith:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Someone made Quake II sourceport for MS-DOS, just because. It's a three-part article, and in the final part there are links to binaries and to an utility, which makes a bootable MS-DOS USB stick, so you can have Q2 whenever the need strikes.

Also, I'm going tomorrow to print shop to make me a snazzy physical Demonsteele reference card. Great work!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How does city1 manage to eat 192MB of RAM? Most computers of Quake II's time had what, 32MB?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

laserghost posted:

Quake has probably the most challenging monster roster of all classic 3d shooter. Except soldiers, cyborgs and dogs, everything else may cause major trouble, if not dealt with properly. Double so because you rarely have full nailgun ammo, and shotguns are just to weak, and grenade/rocket launcher may kill you just as well.

The Quake enemies can be very deadly if used right. Ogres can be simple trash fodder or enemies that give the player a lot less room to maneuver around, depending on where they're placed. A single Knight is easy to defeat, but put a few Knights with a Shambler in a medium-sized room and things get a lot more difficult as the player has to defeat the Knights while breaking the Shambler's LOS. A Vore placed somewhat far away from the player can really ruin their day.

On the other hand, the Quake enemies' projectiles makes it easys to start in-fighting. :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Woolie Wool posted:

How does city1 manage to eat 192MB of RAM? Most computers of Quake II's time had what, 32MB?

It's eating up that much on what system?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

poptart_fairy posted:

Is there a way to disable the stupid swingy bits under guns in BD? They're so distracting and really poorly done.

Probably not without replacing the sprites. Which may not be very difficult--if the sprite set is similar enough between V19 and V20, you may be able to just replace V20's with those from V19 and not even have to mess with repositioning them or anything.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Any Doom wads that focus on kickass magic powers? I'm bummed that Hellraid got cancelled and I can decimate demons with dope thaumaturgy.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Any Doom wads that focus on kickass magic powers? I'm bummed that Hellraid got cancelled and I can decimate demons with dope thaumaturgy.

Maybe Guncaster? That's magical powers + overpowered guns.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

You should play Heretic.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nintendo Kid posted:

You should play Heretic.

I definitely should have added that I have played and do not really enjoy Heretic.

SavageMessiah posted:

Maybe Guncaster? That's magical powers + overpowered guns.

I'll check it out.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Psychic?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Psychic http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21681

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Oh poo poo I totally forgot that existed. Only ever gave it a whirl for 20 minutes back when it came out. Thank you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Someone went spelunking through the trademark database and discovered that Devolver Digital appears to have bought Shadow Warrior from 3D Realms on or around April 1st, of all the goddamn dates.

Devolver published the Shadow Warrior re-release and reboot, the social media channels for which recently hinted at further entries in the series. I guess we'll hear something come E3, then...

Blzut3
Jun 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

I usually randomly change the date whenever someone mentions it just to troll, but this time instead I'll just point out that I only set them in order to maintain chronological order in the database. We have no target date until about the week we're going to release (and even that sometimes slips if Torr ends up not having time or whatever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

So, as teased, BDv20 is fully compatible with Freedoom, but the surprising thing is how well the Freedoom maps fit the mod. The slightly more complicated architecture than classic Doom, the denser enemy placement, the teleport-in ambushes all seem to gel pretty well with the new balance.

Will be interesting to see if the official map-pack will fare better.

Still, very cool that you can just switch to a nearly-cosmetic variant of the mod by changing options. Might well replace Smooth Doom as my mod of choice for playing vanilla-ish.