Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Swan Curry posted:

Havok and Arn Anderson got me thinking, what notable wrestler is the biggest racist? Were there any wrestlers in the Klan, what with wrestling being so popular in the South?

That would be Incredibly Strange Wrestling's Harley Racist and the Ku Klux Klowns.

Besides the Harris Bros., don't forget Tony Halme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Here's a question: It's been established that Hiro Matsuda broke Hogan's leg when Hogan first trained....does Hogan talk about it in his book at all?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Here's a question: It's been established that Hiro Matsuda broke Hogan's leg when Hogan first trained....does Hogan talk about it in his book at all?

I believe it happened between his Pride fights.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Here's a question: It's been established that Hiro Matsuda broke Hogan's leg when Hogan first trained

It has? By whom?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hulk hogan

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fatherdog posted:

It has? By whom?

Mike Graham, and Hogan himself apparently (I know Hogan's not exactly a reliable source). But here's the passage. Answers my question.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ct...s%20leg&f=false

Regarding Hogan being a liar though, it's not like it was uncommon to beat the poo poo out of greenhorns back then. Bill Watts once told a story Gorilla Monsoon beating the hell out of him in the ring because Gorilla overheard Watts talk about blood capsules because Watts earnestly believed that's how people got color in the ring. And Matsuda did have a rep as being a hard-rear end trainer (he also trained Dick Slater and Pual Orndorff).

I've e-mailed Dave to ask because I'm genuinely curious if this is a rare instance of Hogan NOT being full of poo poo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

Dick Murdoch was apparenty a Klansman:

As far as more recent guys, the Harris bros are well known for their Nazi ink and love of SS t-shirts. One of them even wore a SS logo T onscreen on an early TNA weekly PPV.

When working ECW, the Harris' decided it would be a good idea to show their SS ink off to Paul Heyman, who's mother just happened to survive a little thing called the Holocaust.

Heyman apparently cursed them the biggest blue streak this side of New Jack and immediately fired them. This would be the end of the Harris Twihahaha no it wasn't Vince hired them like the next day.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Good friends with noted trash Vince Russo, coincidently

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Going back and watching some five-star matches involving Asian wrestlers in the U.S. for a paper, and I have to ask: why is it that some people on the internet still call Ricky Steamboat "the greatest face of all time"? I have no reason to think it's a crazy claim, but it's hard to find coverage and especially video of his early WWF and NWA promos, so I don't have a really clear sense of his mic skills or what kind of face he was supposed to be.

Also, was his dragon gimmick ever really used in the late '80s and early '90s? It feels like he didn't actually do much with it outside of wearing a karate gi to the ring and striking some vaguely martial arts-y poses.

Edit for clarity: The Steamboat/Savage match and Steamboat/Flair trilogy are obviously amazing, his in-ring work isn't what I'm asking about. I just want to know about how fans felt about him at the time, basically.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Jun 7, 2015

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Why did Heyman fire them when he could have booked them in a match with the Gangstas? Seems shortsighted IMO

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Valentin posted:

Going back and watching some five-star matches involving Asian wrestlers in the U.S. for a paper, and I have to ask: why is it that some people on the internet still call Ricky Steamboat "the greatest face of all time"? I have no reason to think it's a crazy claim, but it's hard to find coverage and especially video of his early WWF and NWA promos, so I don't have a really clear sense of his mic skills or what kind of face he was supposed to be.

Also, was his dragon gimmick ever really used in the late '80s and early '90s? It feels like he didn't actually do much with it outside of wearing a karate gi to the ring and striking some vaguely martial arts-y poses.

Edit for clarity: The Steamboat/Savage match and Steamboat/Flair trilogy are obviously amazing, his in-ring work isn't what I'm asking about. I just want to know about how fans felt about him at the time, basically.

After leaving the NWA in the late 90's, he returned to the WWF, billed simply as "The Dragon", where he'd come to the ring and breathe fire.

But he was considered a great face because he had a incredible look, and could easily gain the crowds sympathy through his mannerisms in the ring. He was just so likable. He stressed to Pat Patterson that he'd once like to take a run as a heel, and Patterson told him "We could have you go out there and cut someone up with a chainsaw, and you'd still get cheered."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Davros1 posted:

But he was considered a great face because he had a incredible look, and could easily gain the crowds sympathy through his mannerisms in the ring. He was just so likable. He stressed to Pat Patterson that he'd once like to take a run as a heel, and Patterson told him "We could have you go out there and cut someone up with a chainsaw, and you'd still get cheered."

Steamboat ran into trouble with that during his late-80s feud with Flair, who was way cooler and more fun and made Steamboat look like a total dork by comparison. You can hear the crowd cheering/booing against type in some of their angles.

Swan Curry posted:

Havok and Arn Anderson got me thinking, what notable wrestler is the biggest racist? Were there any wrestlers in the Klan, what with wrestling being so popular in the South?

Killer Karl Kox was definitely in the KKK, and apparently David Schultz was a racist rear end in a top hat too. Dusty Rhodes and Michael Hayes come up whenever racism is discussed on MLW Radio.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Davros1 posted:

After leaving the NWA in the late 90's, he returned to the WWF, billed simply as "The Dragon", where he'd come to the ring and breathe fire.

Yeah, let's see you not get behind this poo poo:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LvK posted:

Yeah, let's see you not get behind this poo poo:

Holy poo poo.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*
Ricky Steamboat was just godawful on the mic. Like, his promo skills were inversely proportional to his ring skills.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

electric funeral posted:

Ricky Steamboat was just godawful on the mic. Like, his promo skills were inversely proportional to his ring skills.
Yeah, I always thought it was more that he absolutely could not be a heel, more than him being an amazing face. (That is, beyond how he conveyed it through his ring work, which shouldn't be overlooked. He and Flair had peerless psychology.)

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

electric funeral posted:

This is true.

I love Ricky Steamboat, he reminds me of Daniel Bryan in the sense that I can watch his matches with no build and still be invested in them. He's a real good storyteller in the ring.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Did HBK and Undertaker ever face each other in the early 90's? Google just brings up the streak matches.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MisterGBH posted:

Did HBK and Undertaker ever face each other in the early 90's? Google just brings up the streak matches.

Nope - http://www.cagematch.net/?id=91&nr=153&page=2

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

MisterGBH posted:

they were in the first Hell in a Cell match (where Kane debuted) among other matches

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I knew about HITC. Just interesting that they were in the same company for all that time and never had a singles match until much later.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

MisterGBH posted:

per the cagematch.net database prior to things popping off in 1997 their only singles match was at a house show
http://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=761&page=4&search=shawn+michaels

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Steamboat was just holding the title until Sami Zayn came along

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

electric funeral posted:

It was fun when he feuded with Jericho though. It was like when they do Old School Raw and guys like Cowboy Bob Orton were never great promos but come across as real talkers because most of the current talent is so scripted and flat.

Flair has a great opinion on Steamboat, that he's the greatest face but not the greatest wrestler because he never worked heel too.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It still cracks me up that a dude legit named "Rick Blood" never worked heel.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Or that a guy legit named "Dick Blood" never worked in ECW.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
Anyone have a list of chair riots that have happened?

My Googling has only brought up the ECW one with Funk/Cactus vs Public Enemy, one in CZW, and the Ring of Homicide one. I know there has been more, and, more importantly, I was pretty sure I was at one in ROH. Though I could just be remembering THINKING there was one about to start.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Magneto Rex posted:

My Googling has only brought up the ECW one with Funk/Cactus vs Public Enemy, one in CZW, and the Ring of Homicide one. I know there has been more, and, more importantly, I was pretty sure I was at one in ROH. Though I could just be remembering THINKING there was one about to start.

I think Terry Funk actually tried to get fans to throw chairs during a bunch of matches at ECW Arena in early 1994, but the fans never really bought into it until the Public Enemy match at Hardcore Heaven in August:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5yG56iOtOg

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Can someone please link me to that clip of the Mexican Ninja Turtles match where the guy is hiptossing everyone who enters the ring, including his three teammates who all lie there pedalling their feet because they can't get off their backs?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

Can someone please link me to that clip of the Mexican Ninja Turtles match where the guy is hiptossing everyone who enters the ring, including his three teammates who all lie there pedalling their feet because they can't get off their backs?

I made a gif

http://giant.gfycat.com/TiredSatisfiedEsok.gif

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Probably gets asked a lot but the Ambrose fake out has me wondering. Who was the last person in WWE who got their first world title off something other than a MitB cash in?

Christian

oh wait nvm Mark Henry won his first later that year. I just wanted to point out that everyone rightly forgot about Christian's WHC reign

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

lmao

Dr. rear end posted:

Christian

oh wait nvm Mark Henry won his first later that year. I just wanted to point out that everyone rightly forgot about Christian's WHC reign

Is that the one that went from the PPV to the Smackdown taping 2 days later?

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

bradzilla posted:

lmao

Is that the one that went from the PPV to the Smackdown taping 2 days later?

yup, Edge retired and left the title vacant, Christian beat ADR for the title at the next PPV, then dropped it to Orton on SD that week

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
And then got the belt back because Orton kicked him in the balls.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sticklefifer posted:

And then got the belt back because Orton kicked him in the balls.

That entire series was some fantastic in ring storytelling. Every match, both guys seemed prepared with new counters for signature moves and it culminated in Christian playing on Randy's longstanding character trait to get a genius win.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
So since Batista at WM21, all first-time world championship wins have been either:

1.) Via Money in the Bank
2.) For the Smackdown title
3.) A tables match with a banana peel finish

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

does Ditch have a WOHOF vote

Dr. Ass
Apr 21, 2008

Web Jew.0 posted:

So since Batista at WM21, all first-time world championship wins have been either:

1.) Via Money in the Bank
2.) For the Smackdown title
3.) A tables match with a banana peel finish

well no, what about when Edge-- oh uh when Rob Van D-- uhhhh how about Rey Mys-- hey Booker T got his first WWE world title when he was King B-- okay how about the Great Kha-- maybe when Jeff H-- fuuuuuuuck

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Magneto Rex posted:

There was a one at Better Than Our Best during Cabana-Homicide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

Dr. rear end posted:

well no, what about when Edge-- oh uh when Rob Van D-- uhhhh how about Rey Mys-- hey Booker T got his first WWE world title when he was King B-- okay how about the Great Kha-- maybe when Jeff H-- fuuuuuuuck

Jeff Hardy won the WWE Championship in a triple threat against HHH and Edge at Armageddon in 2008.