Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

idonotlikepeas posted:

I do agree that the Long War air game kind of is bullshit, incidentally. You use two interceptors to down one small UFO and they're both out of commission for two weeks afterward. You're basically guaranteed to lose in the air for ages.

This is kinda by design, though. You're not supposed to start out winning in the air. The aliens are going to take a few countries and shoot down a few satellites before eventually your research lets you bounce back and start taking the fight to them. Once you have control of the air, you're denying the aliens of so much that you've won the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wouldn't you collect skulls if you happened across some just lying around

My dad found a skull when he was a kid, they lit a bunch of candles around it on a tree stump at night and it looked totally awesome. Then the cops took it away because apparently that kind of thing is illegal. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Beagle, nearly a year and a half ago during a TNX stream, you said "Obama seems to me like an anime fan, I just get that feeling from him."

How does it feel to predict the future?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I could totally see a rogue-XCOM, cut off from funding and support, hiring a few disillusioned EXALT. I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens ruthlessly crushed their ancient fraternal order because they were being annoying dicks, and XCOM picked up a few stragglers.

Alternatively, I could totally see beat up snazzy pinstripe suits and flak armor being a costume choice, at least for tier 0 stuff.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

I could totally see a rogue-XCOM, cut off from funding and support, hiring a few disillusioned EXALT. I wouldn't be surprised if the aliens ruthlessly crushed their ancient fraternal order because they were being annoying dicks, and XCOM picked up a few stragglers.

Alternatively, I could totally see beat up snazzy pinstripe suits and flak armor being a costume choice, at least for tier 0 stuff.

Plausible, especially if EXALT splintered after X-COM raided their HQ and stole all their neat stuff. Their leadership apparently bugged out before X-COM arrived, so some of them might have defected to X-COM and others joined ADVENT.

Alternatively, Bradford was one of EXALT's leaders all along.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

"EXALT had some good ideas, really"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not have the elite EXALT troopers wear fedoras.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not have the elite EXALT troopers wear fedoras.

Well, they already dress exactly like the agents from The Bureau.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Just started playing EW Classic, Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential after years. Love me some XCOM.

I really hope they completely overhaul the enemy squad activation to something more dynamic i.e the enemies patrol the streets and won't just aggro instantly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dandywalken posted:

"Hey, we busted up their headquarters. Let's call it a day on these guys."

"But we don't know what they were after, and those chucklefucks we drowned in plasma sure weren't their leaders."

"Don't worry about it."

"But-"

"Case file on EXALT is closed, and we're shutting down the entire covert division."

"I don't think that's a good-"

"Poof! Done! All our data on EXALT deleted so we can focus on the aliens. Have a nice day, Commander."

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Not necessarily, it was never explained what their motives were in attacking XCOM in the first place and they got attacked by alien forces on multiple occasions. They might of had a good reason to be opposed to a secret project overseen by a secret council. Most likely just power hungry assholes though.

Think about it. You play as an all powerful secret, MULTINATIONAL organization run by a secret council of faceless men with deep and menacing voices.
Meanwhile Exalt is run and composed of lily white FREEDOM Fighters who are run by proper god fearing Captains of Industry. They are the GI Joe who want to put freedom up your multiethnic Cobra Command. :colbert:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Dandywalken posted:

"Like the autobahn!"

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

WaltherFeng posted:

Just started playing EW Classic, Not Created Equal and Hidden Potential after years. Love me some XCOM.

I really hope they completely overhaul the enemy squad activation to something more dynamic i.e the enemies patrol the streets and won't just aggro instantly.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/02/xcom-2-welcoming-our-new-alien-overlords

In XCOM 2, the idea is that you have the jump on the aliens. They’re already there, and they’re not hiding.” That means we’ll have the element of surprise: our small squads (still in the four to six range) will arrive unseen in enemy-controlled territory, at which point we’ll be able to scout out the alien positions and move our troops around the battlefield for as long as we’re able to stay out of hostile units’ detection radius and behind cover. Thanks to a new concealment system and waypoints that’ll allow you to precisely guide your troops’ movement within their two-move radius, setting up the battle will be a big part of what Firaxis intends XCOM 2 to be about. “You have a lot of control over when the engagement starts,” Solomon explained. “Of course, a lot of times you’ll blunder or do something wrong, like come around the corner and get revealed. We give the player the ability to jump the enemy first, and that feels very resistance-y, very guerilla tactics.”

Once you take a shot, the aliens might scamper or they might not. At least that is what they have said. It would be really nice to be able to engage a pod of enemies and not worry too much about activating another pod if you play aggressively. Still some risk of unintended activation, but maybe reduced? That would be sweet.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 7, 2015

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
EXALT did nothing wrong

Night10194 posted:

:tinfoil:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
With this and MGSV I'll be set for life.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Night10194 posted:

I think Firaxis said they were unrelated to The Bureau but it just makes so much sense.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dr. Stab posted:

This is kinda by design, though. You're not supposed to start out winning in the air. The aliens are going to take a few countries and shoot down a few satellites before eventually your research lets you bounce back and start taking the fight to them. Once you have control of the air, you're denying the aliens of so much that you've won the game.

Sure, and I actually appreciate the intent of the design. I think they just carried it a bit too far. Like, at the beginning with the setup in Long War being what it is, I'm already losing in half a dozen countries just on the basis of not being able to field any aircraft there at all. And I was totally okay with seeing a medium or large UFO and having to pass up on attacking it because my interceptors were woefully underpowered. But a big part of the game is shooting down UFOs to storm them, and in LW at the beginning you can't even do that more than once a month or so, even with the tiniest, crappiest alien scouts.

The air game should mirror the ground game, basically. At the beginning you can pick off the weakest alien units, and as things go on you start getting the ability to take on bigger and bigger ones. The air game in LW is more like if you started a ground mission and had to sacrifice four of your squad to take out a single pod of sectoids.

idonotlikepeas fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 8, 2015

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WaltherFeng posted:

Then someone is going to make a MGSV mod for XCOM 2

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

The Iron Rose posted:

Infantry and Gunners make great officers. Snipers are okay I guess if only because they don't make very good psis so you may as well.

Oh and in the DefaultGameCore.ini file, look at the exalt troopers and reduce their health by 2-3 points each to make them a bit less bullshit.

Is this a good way to turn the extraction missions into something doable instead of a bunch of gamey bullshit where you hope your sprinter scout can daisy chain the transmitters?

idonotlikepeas posted:

Sure, and I actually appreciate the intent of the design. I think they just carried it a bit too far. Like, at the beginning with the setup in Long War being what it is, I'm already losing in half a dozen countries just on the basis of not being able to field any aircraft there at all. And I was totally okay with seeing a medium or large UFO and having to pass up on attacking it because my interceptors were woefully underpowered. But a big part of the game is shooting down UFOs to storm them, and in LW at the beginning you can't even do that more than once a month or so, even with the tiniest, crappiest alien scouts.

The air game should mirror the ground game, basically. At the beginning you can pick off the weakest alien units, and as things go on you start getting the ability to take on bigger and bigger ones. The air game in LW is more like if you started a ground mission and had to sacrifice four of your squad to take out a single pod of sectoids.

The problem with the air game is that you really can't use any serious tactics to win it. It's mostly RNG and some preparation.

In LW they wanted to make it a sacrifice - you're supposed to forgo tactical tech in favor of air poo poo. This doesn't really work because if your tactical game suffers you'll just get raped. Every started running into Mechtoids without chem grenades and stuff yet? Its not fun.

The air game should basically be about preparation and that's it. Currently it's just a bunch of bullshit.

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 8, 2015

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Haha, started a mission with Exalt already inside the transmitter zone...I was desperately yellow moving toward them thinking even then I wouldn't be able to make it, but then Exalt(unactivated) left the transmitter zone by themselves :allears: I love their sportsmanship. They refuse to hack if I'm not there.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

oswald ownenstein posted:

Is this a good way to turn the extraction missions into something doable instead of a bunch of gamey bullshit where you hope your sprinter scout can daisy chain the transmitters?

To an extent. It'll turn EXALT into glass cannons rather than just, uh, cannons.

You'll usually take them down in one or at most two shots, but there's usually several dozen of them and they still have all their offensive capabilities intact.

Reducing their HP makes them manageable, but still dangerous.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

WaltherFeng posted:

The question is: Which game has the sexier snake?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

wouldn't you collect skulls if you happened across some just lying around

You know talking about EXALT's skull led me to thinking of something.

"A day after the catastrophic fire rocked their downtown high rise the high cabal of EXALT, led by Overlord 50 cent, arrives to inspect the damage. 50 begins looking, but can't find the one object he truly seeks. He screams to the high heavens, 'Bitch took my skull!'"

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
there is a lot of viper fanart now

gj firaxis

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

oswald ownenstein posted:

Yes, and I find it provides a really fun change of pace. EXALT swarms in huge numbers and they're still dangerous offensively until mid-late game, but now it's a shooting gallery. Not having to shoot an exalt 4 loving times to kill him early on makes them feel less obnoxious, and more like the unarmored humans they actually are.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Liquid Penguins posted:

gj firaxis

maybe whole snake tits thing was just social experiment on the sexually warped nature of the gaming community?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I wonder if we'll get any bonuses if we have a single nationality team.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Liquid Penguins posted:

gj firaxis

same, but unironically

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

My dad found a skull when he was a kid, they lit a bunch of candles around it on a tree stump at night and it looked totally awesome. Then the cops took it away because apparently that kind of thing is illegal. :(

I dunno that sounds more like the SCP Foundation than the cops.

Clarste posted:

Logically, EXALT in XCOM2 would just be another group of freedom fighters, except evil.

Ugh you're probably right, EXALT will be the ones committing acts of outright terrorism and you go in to stop them, otherwise the ADVENT can propagandize the whole shebang as heartless terrorists who blow up hospitals for sick kids or some poo poo.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

FoolyCharged posted:

You know talking about EXALT's skull led me to thinking of something.

"A day after the catastrophic fire rocked their downtown high rise the high cabal of EXALT, led by Overlord 50 cent, arrives to inspect the damage. 50 begins looking, but can't find the one object he truly seeks. He screams to the high heavens, 'Bitch took my skull!'"

Can't have happened, or all of X-COM would be a smoking crater. 50 is unkillable when he searches for his skull.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

maybe whole snake tits thing was just social experiment on the sexually warped nature of the gaming community?

Not a social experiment, just good business sense. Snake tits sell.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I gotta say, I can't wait to see what procedurally generated hellscapes are possible to explore by running a bunch of weird mods together. :allears:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Liquid Penguins posted:

Not a social experiment, just good business sense. Snake tits sell.

I will not be surprised if Firaxis adds a Viper as a cheat code hero like X-COM 2012 has at this point. I don't think they were expecting such a virulent nerd reaction to boobs intruding on their grognardy game series.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I will not be surprised if Firaxis adds a Viper as a cheat code hero like X-COM 2012 has at this point. I don't think they were expecting such a virulent nerd reaction to boobs intruding on their grognardy game series.

If not the mod community will let me live my dream of an all snake tit squad.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
dunk when

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Can't have happened, or all of X-COM would be a smoking crater. 50 is unkillable when he searches for his skull.

Yes, but if we can trust the documentary evidence of Blood on the Sand (and why wouldn't we) he's also very, very stupid.

XCOM probably convinced him the aliens took the skull. The final mission was secretly to use the Temple ship to hide the skull on the alien homeworld, solving two problems at once.

Alternate answer: Why do you think XCOM lost the war?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yes, but if we can trust the documentary evidence of Blood on the Sand (and why wouldn't we) he's also very, very stupid.

XCOM probably convinced him the aliens took the skull. The final mission was secretly to use the Temple ship to hide the skull on the alien homeworld, solving two problems at once.

Alternate answer: Why do you think XCOM lost the war?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRd20xaoChM

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I like EXALT mechanically, but they annoyed me narratively. It was just inane and distracting that they weren't linked to the aliens in some way. They were just a distraction you had to fight on the side. As though an alien invasion wasn't strong enough to carry the story on its own. EXALT should have been human cultists/alien sympathizers/fifth column, and maybe even had occasional mixed missions, where EXALT was backed up by some alien muscle.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
EXALT are alien sympathizers IIRC. In Long War they get some aliens sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Segmentation Fault posted:

EXALT are alien sympathizers IIRC. In Long War they get some aliens sometimes.

Exalt specifically attacked aliens in order to try to get psychics from them, what they intend to do with said psychics is never explained and once again Bradford was in charge of that investigation...

• Locked thread