Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I don't understand what they are gonna do with Winterfell in the last episode.

Sansa and Theon will probably escape?
They will show Stannis charging the walls as his last scene this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was the least bad of a lot of bad choices. Also the rightful king.

I didn't vote for him!

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
The weird thing about all this is that if Stannis burns Shireen in the books like he probably will, none of the people here complaining about D&D will call GRRM a hack for it

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

4outof5 posted:

There is a line between dick, and burning your young daughter alive. I think people accepted him as a dick but not THAT kind of dick.

This is the same dude that already allowed Mel to burn other people's sons and fathers for R'hllor. Why stop with your own family?

Plus he hosed Mel so that she could give birth to a shadow baby to kill his own brother. Why are people shocked?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Abner Assington posted:

Lol his rationale for the scene is literally the same bullshit The Joker espouses to Harvey Dent in the hospital in The Dark Knight.

"Oh you don't care when we show a bunch of unnamed, never seen before, people get slaughtered but you do care when a child who's had nothing but sweet scenes with her father forming an organic relationship as he balances his ambitions with his family gets burned alive?"

Like...yea dude. Did he just figure out how narratives work or something?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

hemophilia posted:

This show has left me really loving mad. I feel like I need to finish the season to round it out and just see what happens, but I think I'm done. All the badness of this episode would have been fine but burning shireen was a step too far. If that's telegraphed to happen in the books too, whatever. After next week I'm going to just pick up where I left on the books and wait for Winds of Winter. I don't think I need a show that has the main goal of one-upping itself in hosed up poo poo it wants to air to the backdrop of some pretty cool fantasy.

the books are just as bad or worse to people and worse things will happen in them.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Reading the other thread now, this is my favorite post so far

lelandjs posted:

Whelp this is not a great episode to be a young girl

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

gently caress Stannis a hundred times over, and not in an enjoyable way.
Daeny and Drogon 2016.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
can someone please make me an avatar of Stannis' face with the fire in the background out of focus

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

KamikazePotato posted:

The weird thing about all this is that if Stannis burns Shireen in the books like he probably will, none of the people here complaining about D&D will call GRRM a hack for it

Well it seems like Stannis won't be there for it, he'll just see the fruits (if there are any)

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Stealing this poo poo:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

RCarr posted:

Stannis will fail miserably despite the apparent momentary thaw, utterly fail at the siege, and be mortally wounded in the process. Melisandre will stand over him in her ~serpentine~ way, lean down to 'kiss' him, and slit his throat, holding a goblet up to the wound to collect as much "King's Blood" as she can, and the last words he'll hear are, "the flames lied...you are not Azor Ahai."

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I no longer understand Stannis' character. I thought the point of this series was to have subtle nuanced characters who fell into a moral grey area. They pretty much just turned Stannis fully evil. If they wanted to sell that as a tough decision they needed to make it much more obvious how bad the conditions were for Stannis' men. Like they probably need to start showing people dropping dead from the cold, and deserting by the hundreds 2-3 episodes ago to be able to gain the credibility to validate that scene. It totally didn't work for me as it stood there, and just ruined Stannis' character completely.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Darko posted:

the books are just as bad or worse to people and worse things will happen in them.

I've read through most of A Storm Of Swords. I didn't stop for any particular reason, but I've been thinking about picking them back up before now anyway. I'm aware of how lovely things happen in the books I just don't feel like it's on the same level as here. Maybe AFFC and ADWD will change my mind! I don't know! I just know I'm soured on the show right now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

RCarr posted:

I think it will be Cersei's walk, Jon trying to figure out to help Stannis, and stabbed, and snow melts, they march, Winterfell siege, Ramsay dies via Theon/Sansa, and Winterfell looks taken due to Stannis/Littlefinger as their last scene. With next season starting with whatever new situation there is in Winterfell in the books.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

BubbleGoose posted:

That meltdown thread is great.
Link? (Or is it just the official GOT thread?)

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I mean it is heavily foreshadowed in the books that Stannis is liable to do some seriously hosed up poo poo ("he'll break before he bends") , but it did seem a bit too easy. Dunno, maybe I'm just a bit grumpy because even when the show does poo poo that's not in the books I can see it coming from a mile away. Also it's kind of dumb that the one time show Stannis ever really garnered any sympathy was in a scene that only existed to set up him burning his daughter.

Still think that Dorne/Dany are the two worst parts of this episode, though. All around bad one, I think. Shame too because last week's episode was one of the best ever.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

hemophilia posted:

I've read through most of A Storm Of Swords. I didn't stop for any particular reason, but I've been thinking about picking them back up before now anyway. I'm aware of how lovely things happen in the books I just don't feel like it's on the same level as here. Maybe AFFC and ADWD will change my mind! I don't know! I just know I'm soured on the show right now.

Storm is the best book. The next book focuses on how bad things are for the townsfolk and average people due to the war, and the book after is a lot of the stuff happening in the show right now, just less streamlined.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

a cop posted:

Well it seems like Stannis won't be there for it, he'll just see the fruits (if there are any)

I think this episode might be a warning to anyone who's too married to their speculation about where characters are going to tread lightly. There's plenty of space for Stannis to reunite with Melisandre and his family and need to burn Shireen for one reason or another.

Regardless, both Stannis burning Shireen only to find out he isn't the destined hero or Melisandre figuring out he isn't the destined hero and burning Shireen behind his back both achieve the desired result of getting Stannis to feel betrayed and willing to turn against the whole world, I just think the first is stronger and has better parallels with Azor Ahai. The show isn't incoherent for taking Stannis on a slightly different route to the same place.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

The best part of Mel's character isn't even that the flames are lying to her, they're outright showing her the truth, she's just too loving stupid to realize it

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

zVxTeflon posted:

Our siege weapons were burned.

We begin the siege at dawn!

I picture it being like king Arthur and hisnknights hacking at the castle with the French dudes in it

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

I no longer understand Stannis' character. I thought the point of this series was to have subtle nuanced characters who fell into a moral grey area. They pretty much just turned Stannis fully evil. If they wanted to sell that as a tough decision they needed to make it much more obvious how bad the conditions were for Stannis' men. Like they probably need to start showing people dropping dead from the cold, and deserting by the hundreds 2-3 episodes ago to be able to gain the credibility to validate that scene. It totally didn't work for me as it stood there, and just ruined Stannis' character completely.

They had Davos saying all those things.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol tell me again how Anonymous is a threat to Seal Team 6.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

RCarr posted:

Ramsay tells his father of his success, the army marches out of winterfell to hit stannis, stannis's army attacks the nearly defenseless winterfell, sansa and theon escapes during the confusion, breinne kills stannis in the confusion or dies trying

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Dolash posted:

I think this episode might be a warning to anyone who's too married to their speculation about where characters are going to tread lightly. There's plenty of space for Stannis to reunite with Melisandre and his family and need to burn Shireen for one reason or another.

Regardless, both Stannis burning Shireen only to find out he isn't the destined hero or Melisandre figuring out he isn't the destined hero and burning Shireen behind his back both achieve the desired result of getting Stannis to feel betrayed and willing to turn against the whole world, I just think the first is stronger and has better parallels with Azor Ahai. The show isn't incoherent for taking Stannis on a slightly different route to the same place.

Yeah overall I agree. I just wish the show would have presented more proof of burning Shireen doing anything of tangible effect. After-all the leaches only had a 66% success rate.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

KamikazePotato posted:

I will.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Adun posted:

Show don't tell. I mean that is if you want to actually make a good movie/tv show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Adun posted:

Again, pretty sure that scroll Davos is carrying has one thing written on it, if Stannis is smart:

"Kill the man who delivered this scroll."

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I am trying to parse out TV!Doran's logic in sending Trystane to King's Landing. A gambit where Dorne not rising up is dependent on Jamie keeping him alive? Seems a bit harsh, and really doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless they completely dropped Doran secretly supporting Aegon Dany. Also, the whole part where he's his son and all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Megasabin posted:

The only evil characters are Ramsay and mayyybe Jofferey as they're sociopaths. The others are typically making decisions based on the options presented to them in the moral time period that they live in, some for bad, some for worse. And showing you the results. Stannis sacrificing his daughter, which is the worst thing ever from our POV, but actually saved thousands of his men's lives, possibly, while Ned is MR HONOR or Robb is TRUE LOVE and they both get thousands and thousands killed. It's weighing pragmatism and morality constantly.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Megasabin posted:

Showing a few more scenes of everyone being cold and hungry isn't the turning point for whether this works or not, they'd already had warnings at Castle Black and again on the march that their army wouldn't make it, plus Roose laughing at his odds and Ramsay deciding to make them even worse. It's clearly and cleanly established that Stannis's choice was gamble on a miracle by burning Shireen (as he'd been tempted by Melisandre to burn others for power before) or give up on his ambitions of the throne, which he can't do without possibly dooming the entire world.

If you think he's just pointlessly evil because he burned a child I don't know how you got this far in the series.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

KamikazePotato posted:

Do you really believe that, the same thread who constantly shits on GRRM?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Lol if you thought the guys who brought us sandtits and the legend of gin alley would approach this scene from any perspective other than "this will really shock our parents." HBO's Game of Thrones is essentially Saw with rape.

When the show failed to reveal the true glory of Ser Pounce, I knew it was all over.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megasabin posted:

Show don't tell. I mean that is if you want to actually make a good movie/tv show.

Hahaha good advice from the guy that totally misread Stannis.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

KamikazePotato posted:

But WHY would book Stannis burn Shireen when he has Theon? Doesn't he explicitly say he's going to sacrifice him?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

For being a traitor I believe not for having king's blood.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Rename thread to "dolash and darko defend poo poo TV itt"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

For being a traitor I believe not for having king's blood.

Why not both? Does it not count or something?

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Ah yes because seeing some generic dudes in armor looking really hungry/cold/dead in the snow is really a lot more effective than Davos talking about it in making us understand why Stannis would burn his own daughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I hope Stannis downs an entire skin of wine while stabbing Sansa to death for being the sister of the usurper Robb Stark, then belches loudly.

• Locked thread