Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DropShadow posted:

I got a foam gun.

I have no idea what I'm doing.

I think you know exactly what you were doing. :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That foam gun looks amazing. How exactly do you use it?

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

Bovril Delight posted:

That foam gun looks amazing. How exactly do you use it?

I'm still learning. A buddy gave it to me a year ago and this is my attempt at using it. Connects to my power washer. I need to find a manual or tutorial or something.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I installed a seat lowering kit. It was a pain in the rear end but I can sit comfortably in the car while wearing a helmet. Racing the car while hunched over was kind of annoying.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DropShadow posted:

I'm still learning. A buddy gave it to me a year ago and this is my attempt at using it. Connects to my power washer. I need to find a manual or tutorial or something.

You're doing fine.

Let it sit, then rinse it off. The idea of the foam gun is to do exactly what you did, so the soap and water sits on the car long enough to hydrate and float away the dirt (most of it at least) rather than you dragging it out and across more paint and making scratches with it using a sponge or cloth.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I put a new to me ignition coilpack and plug wires on it thanks to a friend and now it doesn't buck and stall and misfire horribly. Has a lot more power, too, amazing how that works...

Also went junkyarding and got an el camino drivers window for Noeland, a 4.0L 0331 TUPY head for a non goon friend, and a set of dana 44 hub lockouts for NoiseComplaint.

Now to figure out how to ship the glass without it arriving in a trillion pieces.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I added some stripes to the Abarth. Can't have too many scorpions on this stupid car.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Drive this thing around for the second day. Every time it starts I just giggle from the noises it makes. It's also not as big as it looks on the photos, which makes it surprisingly practical and the trunk is massive. On the negative side, I still got 300 miles left on the 500 mile break in period. During this time it redlines at around 4k RPM. Which I guess is a good thing since it prevents me from doing stupid poo poo right out of the gate.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

shodanjr_gr posted:

On the negative side, I still got 300 miles left on the 500 mile break in period. During this time it redlines at around 4k RPM. Which I guess is a good thing since it prevents me from doing stupid poo poo right out of the gate.

The ECU self-limits the RPMs it will rev to based on miles? That's pretty sweet. Some might whine about factory-enforced break-in period but that seems ultimately awesome.

Not mileage based, I have just noticed our X5M's tach will limit RPMs when cold - there's a yellow ring that starts at around 5k or 5500rpm and slowly creeps up as the engine gets some heat in it to 6500 or so. Out of mechanical sympathy I haven't tested whether it actually limits RPMs or not but it's a first in a car for me.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Tremek posted:

The ECU self-limits the RPMs it will rev to based on miles? That's pretty sweet. Some might whine about factory-enforced break-in period but that seems ultimately awesome.

It sure feels like it. Plus the tach actually displays a second redline around the main one which starts at 4k rpm and supposedly goes away after 500 miles:

(Note the line above the hockey stick)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tremek posted:

Not mileage based, I have just noticed our X5M's tach will limit RPMs when cold - there's a yellow ring that starts at around 5k or 5500rpm and slowly creeps up as the engine gets some heat in it to 6500 or so. Out of mechanical sympathy I haven't tested whether it actually limits RPMs or not but it's a first in a car for me.

Sounds like the Z4 M models, that was just a guideline.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shodanjr_gr posted:

It sure feels like it. Plus the tach actually displays a second redline around the main one which starts at 4k rpm and supposedly goes away after 500 miles:

Straight outta 1992. Jesus.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

eyebeem posted:

That's the C5(?) throw back dash mode. There's more traditional ones in there too.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
E: double post

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

eyebeem posted:

I hope by "Jesus" you mean "loving awesome." :colbert:

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

eyebeem posted:

Except this time it's an LCD being driven by an actual computer, not a panel with a bunch of bulbs behind it, or some kind of electroluminescent thing.

Not the same.

Digital dashes rule. :colbert:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

shodanjr_gr posted:

That's the C5(?) throw back dash mode. There's more traditional ones in there too.

You can change the dashboard to look like various retro Corvettes? You gotta post the rest.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You can change the dashboard to look like various retro Corvettes? You gotta post the rest.

I think that's the only one that's retro inspired. The rest are circular tachometers with various customizable displays and gauges.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

shodanjr_gr posted:

I think that's the only one that's retro inspired. The rest are circular tachometers with various customizable displays and gauges.

That's so cool...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Problem: pulley bearing squealing

Company's only replacement options from right to left:

Ford: $129 tensioner
Napa: $65 pulley
Industrial supply: $5.29 bearing.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Here are the other two modes:

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Bought a large amount of Dremel metal cutting discs and a blow torch. Half the bolts and nuts on the front end of Project Miata are made of rust =/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You're wasting your time and money using a Dremel, get either a 2-3 inch cutoff tool or a 4.5" angle grinder. The wheels not only cost half as much (seriously, fiber reinforced dremel wheels 1" diameter cost $1... fiber reinforced angle grinder wheels 4.5" diameter cost $0.56 on heleta.com), the grinder has far more cutting power and the wheels have roughly 30 times as much usable material in them.

Sometimes you'll still need the dremel for getting into real tight spaces, but save it for those circumstances.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

kastein posted:

You're wasting your time and money using a Dremel, get either a 2-3 inch cutoff tool or a 4.5" angle grinder. The wheels not only cost half as much (seriously, fiber reinforced dremel wheels 1" diameter cost $1... fiber reinforced angle grinder wheels 4.5" diameter cost $0.56 on heleta.com), the grinder has far more cutting power and the wheels have roughly 30 times as much usable material in them.

Sometimes you'll still need the dremel for getting into real tight spaces, but save it for those circumstances.

Its for the tight spots. Kill me now.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's a Miata. All spots are tight spots.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Success. This fender had a decent sized hole in it. The frame underneath seems fine though. Needed the blow torch for the bolts running along the radiator support. They came out suprisingly easy after heat. I can't believe I haven't had a blow torch until now.
The dremel to cut off a tiny bolt in the wheel well.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

eyebeem posted:

It's a Miata. All spots are tight spots.

Like the back seat of a Volkswagen? :downs:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Like the back seat of a Volkswagen? :downs:

This is an uncomfortable place you've put us all in.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

shodanjr_gr posted:

Anyone else thinking of KITT?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Charged my AC this morning, been holding off for a few miserable weeks. After immediately sweating from entering my car and swearing as I touched anything, I decided it was time to get the AC working past "a slightly less than room temperature breeze."

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

kastein posted:

I started with a dremel as my cutting tool and got tired of replacing discs that shattered when you looked at them funny. I think it took me 4 discs to cut through a tiny bit of 2mm ish steel.

The dremel shines for shaping things though, I got some carbide bits and have used it for lots of things.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Recharged the refrigerant in the zx2. It wen't from blowing 50 degree air to <-25. That's the lowest I could measure before my IR thermometer started throwing an error.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

The 100+ degree days have officially started, so, i've finally decided to get the AC fixed after 4 years of procrastinating. The compressor was disconnected when I bought the car, the lines had no pressure, and the condenser looks pretty shot, so, I ordered a new compressor, condenser, drier can, and tracked down dodgy Craigslist guy for some old R12 cans. Spend 6 hours removing the old compressor and putting the new one in, only to then discover the pulley the new compressor came with was for the other engine that came in this car and wont align with the other pulley :shepicide:

All the local rent-a-tool places lacked the appropriate 1" size fitting to take the clutch off, so, I finally had an excuse to buy that comically large 1" wide 1/2' long bolt from Ace which got it off without much effort.

If all goes well I'll finally own a car with working AC by the weekend, assuming the lines aren't shot too. It's fun owning a special snowflake car with a special snowflake 1 year only engine.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
gently caress YOU FORD :argh:

Took the brake master cylinder out of my Focus tonight, and found that despite 100% of the other fasteners on the car being metric and it was designed in Europe the brake line fittings at the MC are SAE. 1/2 inch on the front lines, 7/16 coming out of the proportioning valves for the rear (and the hex pattern on the proportioning valves are 7/8".) And yes, this is the factory setup.

Chewed up one of the front fittings pretty badly with a 13mm wrench but there's enough flat left that I can wrench on it to get it back in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Whole lotta ac posts in a row there.

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Recharged the refrigerant in the zx2. It wen't from blowing 50 degree air to <-25. That's the lowest I could measure before my IR thermometer started throwing an error.

I'm assuming those temps are in Celsius? If so, you should get a vent thermometer to measure the actual airstream, which ought to be 5-10 degrees; IR thermometers read surface temperatures, which is great for engine diag, but basically useless when you're concerned with the temperature of the air flowing over it.

If that's in Fahrenheit then you're overcharged and gonna have major icing issues unless you live in the Sahara.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

AC posts!

That's about 5 minutes after parking the car, holding the throttle around 1200 RPM. The compressor starts short cycling if it's idling unless I park in the shade. :shepicide: (it never cycles otherwise, not sure if it's because it's a variable displacement compressor or if it's just that low on refrigerant).

I was going to rent a set of gauges and recharge it in the morning (Wednesday), but I don't have the cash for even a single can of R-134a, much less the deposit for the gauges. It's tempting to do the terrible car owner thing and grab one of those "recharge in a bottle" things, but I want to do it right.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

some texas redneck posted:

AC posts!

That's about 5 minutes after parking the car, holding the throttle around 1200 RPM. The compressor starts short cycling if it's idling unless I park in the shade. :shepicide: (it never cycles otherwise, not sure if it's because it's a variable displacement compressor or if it's just that low on refrigerant).

I was going to rent a set of gauges and recharge it in the morning (Wednesday), but I don't have the cash for even a single can of R-134a, much less the deposit for the gauges. It's tempting to do the terrible car owner thing and grab one of those "recharge in a bottle" things, but I want to do it right.

I've been trying to get my girlfriends civic blowing nice and cold. I've refilled it twice now using a scale to try to make sure I'm putting the right charge in after vacuuming the whole thing down. It works awesome when the car is first turned on but after running for a while it's more of a mildly cool breeze than cold.

1. I think I would advise being careful with AC work. Seems hard to get right to me right now.

2. If any one has ideas about my problem I'm all ears.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Whole lotta ac posts in a row there.

I'm assuming those temps are in Celsius? If so, you should get a vent thermometer to measure the actual airstream, which ought to be 5-10 degrees; IR thermometers read surface temperatures, which is great for engine diag, but basically useless when you're concerned with the temperature of the air flowing over it.

If that's in Fahrenheit then you're overcharged and gonna have major icing issues unless you live in the Sahara.

It's still a bit undercharged based on the chart

It was 95 outiside and the pressures were at the spot for 85 on the chart when the refrigerant can emptied. I'm probably going to leave it like that so I don't have to store a partially filled can of refrigerant if I went and bought another to fill that last bit.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I got my symptoms mixed up, under charged is what I meant.

Point stands, it'll ice over if you keep running it like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Sadi posted:

I've been trying to get my girlfriends civic blowing nice and cold. I've refilled it twice now using a scale to try to make sure I'm putting the right charge in after vacuuming the whole thing down. It works awesome when the car is first turned on but after running for a while it's more of a mildly cool breeze than cold.

1. I think I would advise being careful with AC work. Seems hard to get right to me right now.

2. If any one has ideas about my problem I'm all ears.

Hit the AC thread.

Is you rad fan coming on? if the fan isn't coming on, its dissipating the heat its drawing out of the cabin.