Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terrible Robot posted:

Astute readers will note that it is not, in fact, baseboard trim. It is door casing. :negative:

That's the pre-primed Home Depot special cheapest of the cheap moulding that I put in my barn.

Eh.....it's better than flat and way better than nothing.

(but that installation........that is something special)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Terrible Robot posted:

This fuckin' thread...

Here's another lovely baseboard trim picture from my contractor buddy, done by the same idiot building owner as last time.

Astute readers will note that it is not, in fact, baseboard trim. It is door casing. :negative:

In a lot of situations, contractors use the same 2 1/4" e.(or 3 1/4") molding for base and case. Other times the base will be the same pattern, only 1" wider. But that is really some lovely work, and I've seen lovely work.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
I'm in a rental house now, it's an older home but I'm not sure of the age. There's lots of crappy construction in it (charm, I think they call it), but I'm most concerned about electrical. There's not a single GFCI in the place, including the outlet above the sink. Is this typically something that the leasing company will fix if I request it? I'm getting mixed answers from Google. Texas code, if that helps.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Laminator posted:

I'm in a rental house now, it's an older home but I'm not sure of the age. There's lots of crappy construction in it (charm, I think they call it), but I'm most concerned about electrical. There's not a single GFCI in the place, including the outlet above the sink. Is this typically something that the leasing company will fix if I request it? I'm getting mixed answers from Google. Texas code, if that helps.

Oh god the triplex I live in is exactly like this. The only outlet in the bathroom is above the sink built into the light fixture.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Laminator posted:

Probably not, no. If they start loving with upgrading the electrics, code will probably make them replace large swaths of it, and that gets expensive.

Landlords are cheap. Do the math.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Laminator posted:

In most places changes in electrical code don't mean everyone has to rewire their houses immediately. If an older home has what *was* up to code when it was built it likely remains perfectly legal so long as nobody fucks with it in any significant way, but once work is performed the law likely requires it to be brought up to current code. So, the rental company is going to ask "is anything actually broken?" and when you say "no" they'll say "tough titty" and hang up.

This doesn't mean you cant install your own GFI outlets where you think you need them. Turning off a breaker, checking to make sure the power is really, truly dead and replacing an outlet is trivial.

Liquid Communism posted:

Landlords are cheap. Do the math.

Yes. This.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

ductonius posted:

In most places changes in electrical code don't mean everyone has to rewire their houses immediately. If an older home has what *was* up to code when it was built it likely remains perfectly legal so long as nobody fucks with it in any significant way, but once work is performed the law likely requires it to be brought up to current code. So, the rental company is going to ask "is anything actually broken?" and when you say "no" they'll say "tough titty" and hang up.

This doesn't mean you cant install your own GFI outlets where you think you need them. Turning off a breaker, checking to make sure the power is really, truly dead and replacing an outlet is trivial.

That's what I figured, and wasn't 100% since GFCIs are kinda important. I'm just going to install them myself, would have been nice if they would have done it for me.

It's tough going from homeowner to renter again.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
So I just found out yesterday that the coils on the stove in my apartment are energized even when turned off. Gonna make the property manager take a look at it...

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
While building codes aren't retroactive, it's not uncommon for municipalities to place additional requirements on rentals that need to be met upon tenant changes, and in at least some cases that does include bathroom & kitchen GFCI. A local tenant's advice organization may be able to tell you if that's the case for you.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)
Not a crappy construction tale (yet!) but I know this is the audience to ask.

A friend of ours bought a ton of land, and we plan to visit regularly. I'm fairly handy and would like to build a small cabin there. Anyone know of a resource of small wooden house plans that an intermediate handyman could follow and build without tons of equipment? (thinking those pre made concrete plugs for the foundation, all timber construction, using pre made windows, etc)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

poopinmymouth posted:

A friend of ours bought a ton of land, and we plan to visit regularly. I'm fairly handy and would like to build a small cabin there. Anyone know of a resource of small wooden house plans that an intermediate handyman could follow and build without tons of equipment? (thinking those pre made concrete plugs for the foundation, all timber construction, using pre made windows, etc)

I'm building a workshop right now with a basic "stick-built" style. I made the plans myself, but they're a pretty basic version of what the California building code allows. And while it's on a slab foundation, I believe the only things you'd really need to change for a concrete pier foundation would be the addition of floor joists and a floor. The power tools I've used are a miter saw, circular saw, air compressor / nailer (for the myriad nails needed for sheathing) / palm nailer (for inconveniently-placed framing nails), and an oscillating tool for cutting some odd bits like rafter notches -- though that could also be done with a circular saw and a chisel, say.

I'd get in contact with your local building office and see what resources they have. You may just want to come up with your own plans yourself. You'll need to learn the building code anyway; might as well put that knowledge to use. Make the plans in SketchUp, say.

Do realize that this is a big project, though. I've been working one day per week since February and have only recently started on framing the roof of a ~400-square-foot (16x24') structure.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I knew there was a bow in the floor near the bathroom, but the inspector said it was just the foundation settling and probably wouldn't get any worse. I have an alternate theory.

Dear previous homeowner who did this: Would you please go gently caress yourself.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

Crawlspace or basement? I had some similar multigeneration gently caress ups, it was shocking that the floor was still in place given that it was directly under the bathtub.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

poopinmymouth posted:

How small is small? Here's one for 160 square feet: http://www.smallshelters.com/freedwnload.html

That likely has enough information to get you going. I got it from this site: http://www.todaysplans.com/free-home-plans.html#Cabins which is basically just links to other sites with free small cabin plans.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Laminator posted:

Crawlspace or basement? I had some similar multigeneration gently caress ups, it was shocking that the floor was still in place given that it was directly under the bathtub.

Basement. I'm down there quite a bit, too. Can't believe I didn't notice until today. :doh:

And yes, that is directly under the bathtub. "Hmm, this joist is in the way of the plumbing for a container designed to hold a half a ton or more of water on a daily basis. I'll just get rid of it." :downs:

Edit: Obviously there are no baths in my future until I get this fixed (luckily I have another bathroom with a shower), but how important is it that I get this taken care of RIGHT NOW? I don't really have the money to do anything with it, and it's been that way for years, but it's very obviously causing the floor to bow.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 8, 2015

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

KillHour posted:

Basement. I'm down there quite a bit, too. Can't believe I didn't notice until today. :doh:

And yes, that is directly under the bathtub. "Hmm, this joist is in the way of the plumbing for a container designed to hold a half a ton or more of water on a daily basis. I'll just get rid of it." :downs:

Edit: Obviously there are no baths in my future until I get this fixed (luckily I have another bathroom with a shower), but how important is it that I get this taken care of RIGHT NOW? I don't really have the money to do anything with it, and it's been that way for years, but it's very obviously causing the floor to bow.

A plumber did the same thing in my bathroom before I started really DIY'ing. He left less than an inch and a half a joist right under the tub. The floor had a bit of bounce before I repaired/reinforced it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KillHour posted:

I'm not any kind of expert on the matter, but you'll probably be fine; the load should be distributed to the adjacent joists. But yeah, no baths.

Assuming you have access, you should be able to just jack the floor up and slide a new joist in, once you clear out the offending plumbing. No need to remove the old one; just put the new one next to it. You might also be able to get away with just putting in new boards on either side of the cut to "bridge the gap" so to speak; that'd be cheaper and easier than putting a full-length joist in. They'd need to be securely attached to the old joist though, of course. And I don't know what the code requirements are to form such a bridge.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not any kind of expert on the matter, but you'll probably be fine; the load should be distributed to the adjacent joists. But yeah, no baths.

Assuming you have access, you should be able to just jack the floor up and slide a new joist in, once you clear out the offending plumbing. No need to remove the old one; just put the new one next to it. You might also be able to get away with just putting in new boards on either side of the cut to "bridge the gap" so to speak; that'd be cheaper and easier than putting a full-length joist in. They'd need to be securely attached to the old joist though, of course. And I don't know what the code requirements are to form such a bridge.

Since that joist is already heavily bowed and the ones directly next to it are moderately bowed as well, I'll probably end up replacing all 3. Is there a rule for what kind of joist to use? Is something like this okay?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-2-in-x-8-in-x-16-ft-Premium-2-Better-Douglas-Fir-Lumber-91556/204667903?N=5yc1vZ1z0ywxxZc3tc

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

That would be fine assuming that your original joist is a 2x8, though using some PT lumber wouldn't be a bad idea, especially given that it's under the bathroom and may get water exposure. Douglas fir is a stronger wood than Southern Pine or whatever pine species is used for PT lumber, I'm sure someone knows way better than I do on the benefits of each. Typically the procedure is jack the sagging area, lay a bead of construction adhesive along the joist, then hammer or jack the sister in place. You can mechanically fasten it with screws or nails, or use bolts (I held the joist in place with structural screws and then added 1/2" hex bolts, personally).

Be sure to not put a screw or nail into a pipe (or you may have to run out of your basement and frantically shut off the water supply and shamefully call a plumber, but I wouldn't know anything about that).

Laminator fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 8, 2015

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Antifreeze Head posted:

How small is small? Here's one for 160 square feet: http://www.smallshelters.com/freedwnload.html

That likely has enough information to get you going. I got it from this site: http://www.todaysplans.com/free-home-plans.html#Cabins which is basically just links to other sites with free small cabin plans.

Thanks so much, this is exactly what I wanted.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Good morning thread. See if you can spot the problem in this kitchen!

(courtesy imgur)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ashcans posted:

See if you can spot the problem in this kitchen!

The bare lightbulb.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The coupon on the fridge is expired.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
No wall outlets above the cabinets. No wonder they haven't been properly secured to the wall.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Was the party a bit wild last night? It seems to have barfed all over the floor.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Looks like a knife in the tub on the left :stonk:
Are the others buried in someone's chest?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I don't see the problem, just some nice ADA-compliant "kneeling" cabinets is all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They didn't paint the entire wall. :colbert:

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Those cabinet handles clearly. Ugly as sin

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

it took me a few seconds, but i think i found it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SneakyFrog posted:

Sneaky realtor, hiding up there

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Bad Munki posted:

Sneaky realtor, hiding up there

obviously the precariously perched bottle of oil is the straw that broke the cupboards back.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Litterbox beside the oven, classy.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

SneakyFrog posted:

Very nice

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Splizwarf posted:

Litterbox beside the oven, classy.

Maybe it was in the cabinet and just ended up there when it fell.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ashcans posted:

Maybe it was in the cabinet and just ended up there when it fell.

Judging from the 6 white buckets in that tiny kitchen, I'm guessing they live like slobs anyway

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

SneakyFrog posted:

You're in Goontown, Eddie.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

... ok I'm not by any means even competent with constructing/installing anything, and even I couldn't manage this.. this has to be on purpose for a swanky boudoir or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
I'm ashamed of how long I looked at that gif without understanding what the problem was, but not ashamed enough to not announce my shame here.