Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
if they hotpatched tonight and made it so i didn't have to pray to the computer that my steering wheel will work i'd be a tad less mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

if they hotpatched tonight and made it so i didn't have to pray to the computer that my steering wheel will work i'd be a tad less mad.

have you tried posting this on their forums? might help

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
they're aware of it

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Which wheel are you using?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
fanatec porsche gt2

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That's good to know. I've been thinking of getting one since they are xbox 360 compatible and I miss blasting around a few of my favorite Forza tracks with a wheel, and I've already got Fanatec pedals.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I get that same bug on a bone controller

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My CSR has worked flawlessly, but I bought the Forza one.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So apparently, they got different things for night races. Day races, you get the guy with the weird pallet thing waving you in. But night races, you get this:

Might be more annoying to be honest.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

That's good to know. I've been thinking of getting one since they are xbox 360 compatible and I miss blasting around a few of my favorite Forza tracks with a wheel, and I've already got Fanatec pedals.

it'll be perfect for you, if you want a shifter you'll need the fanatec one, i also have a th8a shifter that i can't make register with the wheel and put it all on one usb device, so spintires is dead to me :sigh:

but for the 360 you'll need it all to be on one usb i'd figure, i'm not too sure i dont have a 360 (shouldn't have bought the gt2 but damnit the gt3 one is orange and that's apparently worth the price difference :v:)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just picked this up for ps4. I'm pretty awful at this game and keep spinning out but am totally loving it.

PSN is dog_nougat

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

dog nougat posted:

Just picked this up for ps4. I'm pretty awful at this game and keep spinning out but am totally loving it.

PSN is dog_nougat

Fix the controls. It'll be better.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
How so? I'm away from home currently, so I can't look at the options. What should I be looking to change exactly? I'm currently using the triggers for brake and throttle.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Try adjusting your steering sensitivity and deadzone. I played a bit with a controller and had the dead zone set at the next step up from zero, and then adjust your sensitivity down a bit until it's not so twitchy.

Do all this while you wait for your wheel to ship.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I got this last night and started messing around, it's a lot of fun. The karts are really crazy. I got 3rd on the first event, and 1st on the second, so I was pretty happy with that. My arms were really tired from the forcefeedback of my g27 after those races set at 50% time (5 laps each). Man those things are twitchy. They felt like they had a huge deadzone in the middle of steering, too. Up to ~90 degrees felt fine, and after ~180 felt fine, but there was a huge gap in between where nothing happened. Anyone know what's up with that?

I drove the Clio around to prep for today's race and man it feels ... weird. It feels a lot heavier than I thought a Clio should weigh. It's also rather slippery. Are you guys drifting it around corners? I managed a 1:45 around the nurburg sprint track which seemed decent enough compared to the leaderboards. I haven't messed with any of the setups, just going pure stock.

I am not good at these games but I do enjoy them. Mind if I get in on the goon races today? I'll try and stay in the back out of everyone's way.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

I drove the Clio around to prep for today's race and man it feels ... weird. It feels a lot heavier than I thought a Clio should weigh. It's also rather slippery. Are you guys drifting it around corners? I managed a 1:45 around the nurburg sprint track which seemed decent enough compared to the leaderboards. I haven't messed with any of the setups, just going pure stock.

I am not good at these games but I do enjoy them. Mind if I get in on the goon races today? I'll try and stay in the back out of everyone's way.

the clio is fwd so that might be what's confusing you

also the races are open to everybody all the time, just join the steam group and check group chat for activity/watch out for announcements/setupraceswithpeopleandmorepeoplewilljoin
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonracingclub

also make sure you get on mumble so you can talk to us
mumble.goonrathi.com 64738 password mellon

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Nostratic posted:

Try adjusting your steering sensitivity and deadzone. I played a bit with a controller and had the dead zone set at the next step up from zero, and then adjust your sensitivity down a bit until it's not so twitchy.

Do all this while you wait for your wheel to ship.

Word. That definitely helps a lot. I'd like to get a wheel, but can't really justify spending that much to be slightly better at video games.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

dog nougat posted:

Word. That definitely helps a lot. I'd like to get a wheel, but can't really justify spending that much to be slightly better at video games.

I win plenty of races and I use a controller. Goonracing is more about not crashing than being as fast as possible, really.

e: well I did when I was actually online for races because my sleep schedule was hosed up.

And by plenty I mean "the occasional race", to be clear. Not crashing is hard.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'll put up a lobby in a little bit and then start the Clio event at 5

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

dog nougat posted:

How so? I'm away from home currently, so I can't look at the options. What should I be looking to change exactly? I'm currently using the triggers for brake and throttle.

steering sensitivity - 35 or 40
deadzone - 5
gas and brake deadzone - 0
speed sensitivity - 70
control filtering - 60

controller mode 3

Works really well for me.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I should probably ask this. Whenever I do a decent length track in a fast vehicle, I wind up losing wheels when I crash. Is there an easier way to go back to the pit other than risk a blown engine? Or do I have to just watch the revs?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

steering sensitivity - 35 or 40
deadzone - 5
gas and brake deadzone - 0
speed sensitivity - 70
control filtering - 60

controller mode 3

Works really well for me.

Yeah This is magical.

edit: might be a bit too simple...i kinda want a bit of wheelspin.

edit 2: The bug where I can't choose "drive" during an in progress session is so aggravating

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 7, 2015

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Clio cup racing was good fun tonight - need to do a few more laps of Sakito to figure out why the gently caress I just couldn't drive the track :(

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Clio Cup results

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
gently caress you Osh.

Good races everyone :3:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Races were fun, save for me getting work phone calls! Sorry for sitting at the start line, that call was an emergency. Luckily at the race at Donnington I was able to get off the track to take the call.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I can't loving drive. (short yeast coast)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

AnimalChin posted:

I can't loving drive. (short yeast coast)

It's okay. I blow my engines at least every other race so.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Remember kids, if you are consistently mediocre, you always finish 4th. Good races all. Sorry, ethanol! If I hadn't clipped you race two, you'd have two more points and could have had 5th overall!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Finally got my controls dialed in. I can def see how a wheel would help. Learning the cars and the tracks is my biggest hurdle right now. Really loving this though.

The old Formula cars are prob my fav, except the turbo Renault. gently caress that thing. Once I figured out the throttle control it's awesome to drift them through corners.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I now know the struggle of the F1 driver.

In the Nurburgring race, my race engineer would talk to me at the end of the second sector, which happened to be in the braking zone for the chicane, which put me off a few times.

Also, he demanded that I come in for fuel, and the "PIT IN NOW" window was stuck up on my HUD and I couldn't get rid of it.

Wish I didn't agree to work monday, otherwise I would have raced for longer :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Falken posted:

I now know the struggle of the F1 driver.

In the Nurburgring race, my race engineer would talk to me at the end of the second sector, which happened to be in the braking zone for the chicane, which put me off a few times.

Also, he demanded that I come in for fuel, and the "PIT IN NOW" window was stuck up on my HUD and I couldn't get rid of it.

Wish I didn't agree to work monday, otherwise I would have raced for longer :(

I have spun out and run wide on corners multiple times because my engineer wouldn't shut the gently caress up.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
:qq: :qq: :qq:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr8znaA5QbY

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hamilton said something similar in Monaco after that hosed up pit that lost him the race. It was a sulky "please stop talking" if I remember right.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's not just a Hamilton thing, almost every driver gets pissy about the radio coming on during a corner.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm pretty sure the race engineer in Project CARS is someones drunk uncle.

VVVVVVVVV too-shay

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 8, 2015

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AnimalChin posted:

I'm pretty sure the race engineer in Project CARS is someones drunk uncle.

No in my experience drunk uncles are usually fun.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

njsykora posted:

No in my experience drunk uncles are usually fun.

"Hey guys, watch this... <on the radio> TURN LEFT HERE"

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So am I just not getting the proper line at all or has the AI three times the grip on the last chicane in Silverstone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GhostDog posted:

So am I just not getting the proper line at all or has the AI three times the grip on the last chicane in Silverstone?

The AI more than likely has some traction fuckery going on. It's more obvious when they go off track or when it's pouring rain and they're dropping times as if they were on slicks in the sun.

• Locked thread