Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CJacobs posted:

Yeah really, like what the hell.

Dude everything is a cycle that goes on forever was the story of Dark Souls 1. It's the story of pretty much every From game except for I guess Armored Core.

Armored Core lore is also pretty cyclic. Every other one starts with the corporations loving the world, forcing humanity underground and then threatening to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I want From Software to team up with Platinum games to release Dark Souls 3: Red Hot Wonder Stinger Kick.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sadly, the one cool move I cannot do in Dark Souls 2 but wish I could is a version of Dante's Stinger. I regret this terribly.

The closest I can pull is something like a running thrust where I press a button to teleport to the target. The problem is that I can't really make some sort of teleport graphic play, so it would look wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

pyromance posted:

The only cycle that went on forever in Metal Wolf Chaos is that Michael continually kicks all sorts of rear end, and I don't see him ever stopping.

The endless election cycle.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
lol people complaining about not wanting to play another souls game because of the story.

Contrecoup
Mar 30, 2015

dat one portagee posted:

lol people complaining about not wanting to play another souls game because of the story.

The leak video states there might actually be one this time. That's bad.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Contrecoup posted:

I like this post. It hasn't gotten enough attention.

Also, DS1's lore is overrated.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

When I first played dark souls 1 I kept seeing these 40-minute lore videos popping up in youtube's related videos, and having finished it multiple times I still have no idea what about the game's story could possibly need that many 40-minute videos to ramble about, or who would care about any of it. Like you could say endless things about the art direction of these games but there is not much to the story. There are some cool consistencies between some item descriptions if you read them, but it pretty much amounts to saying "oh these things are related that's cool" and then going back to hitting monsters.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's related to the "games are art" phenomenon. The lore-nuts want to justify their hobby as having artistic merit, by and large.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's a pretty cool backstory too.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tallgeese posted:

The lore-nuts want to justify their hobby as having artistic merit, by and large.

It does. Dark Souls' story is presented in a way that's at least a little bit unique in the era of half hour long expository cutscenes.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

It honestly looks like an early version of Bloodborne with a few DS elements added to them. They don't feel right.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CJacobs posted:

It does. Dark Souls' story is presented in a way that's at least a little bit unique in the era of half hour long expository cutscenes.

Whatever your opinion on the subject of games being art, it is still unfortunate to feel the unconscious need to justify it to others.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Tallgeese posted:

It's related to the "games are art" phenomenon. The lore-nuts want to justify their hobby as having artistic merit, by and large.

Or maybe they just like cool and interesting backstory.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kurtofan posted:

Maybe, but I think we filtered most of those out with the selection criteria of "makes 40 minute videos".

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Kurtofan posted:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
lol at these nerds enjoying video games at the something awful video game forums

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Preferably nonfiction.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Contrecoup posted:

The leak video was made by morons, who haven't played a lot of souls games imho. They talk about how you in dark souls 3 might be able to summon more than 1 helper, like in bloodborn. The way they say it, it sounds like they think you could only summon 1 helper in dark souls 1 and 2. And 10 playable classes, all available at the start of the game! unlike the other dark souls, where you had to unlock classes. When they mention 60min cut-scenes, they also say they are used to only having an intro cut scene, but again both dark souls games had several cut scenes, before bosses, when certain things unlock or when you get to certain important areas. One them even says he never got through dark souls 2, so I would take their conclusions with a grain of salt.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

fennesz posted:

It honestly looks like an early version of Bloodborne with a few DS elements added to them. They don't feel right.

That's the feeling I got too.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

haha look at him he likes a video game for a different reason than me

*puts on sunglasses*

*disappears into the floor while the bee gees stayin alive plays*

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dark Souls' lore was really thin on the ground but that's kind of why it works so well. The writers have bothered making so little very clear that the playerbase comes up with a hundred more infinitely interesting explanations for it. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Genocyber posted:

*puts on sunglasses*

I like video games

but all video games are bad

a conundrum

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

I'll admit that the majority of dark souls lore is just :tinfoil: cobbled together by fans that nobody actually thought about when writing it, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, sometimes it's just fun to make poo poo up based off of little shreds of evidence.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, the games are fantastically atmospheric but I wouldn't say they're well written as such. Deliberately vague and (intentional) half-truths in item descriptions and the like makes for a lot of intrigue, but I do think people are going slightly nuts by claiming the story is particularly deep.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I'm readin' this book and skipping every 2nd page because it's all just a bunch of words and the story makes no sense. There's some cool consistencies between the pages if you read them, but it pretty much amounts to saying "oh these words are related that's cool" and then getting back to skipping pages.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, the games are fantastically atmospheric but I wouldn't say they're well written as such. Deliberately vague and (intentional) half-truths in item descriptions and the like makes for a lot of intrigue, but I do think people are going slightly nuts by claiming the story is particularly deep.

Artorias' story in DS1 was a vague thing pre DLC, then it was come rely fleshed out and ended up amazing. I think you're selling FROM short by saying they don't think about or plan these things. You can always argue that nerd Youtubers take it too far, but you can't argue that the story is THERE.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Souls games don't really do story so much as they do history. The interesting stuff mostly happened a long time ago, you're exploring the ruins that are left behind and tying up a few loose ends.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Wait, leak video? I thought people just considered those screenshots as an elaborate fake or something by now?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
People who follow videogame rumors don't tend to be the most critical thinkers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Bloodborne leaked earlier than this. It was real then.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

While some of it looks reasonably convincing, I'm going to wait for an official announcement before I really believe any of it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Worldshatter posted:

While some of it looks reasonably convincing, I'm going to wait for an official announcement before I really believe any of it.

It's as convincing as the Project Beast leak so

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Worldshatter posted:

Well, that probably won't be too far away. We'll most likely know in less than two weeks, after E3.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

EC posted:

Artorias' story in DS1 was a vague thing pre DLC, then it was come rely fleshed out and ended up amazing. I think you're selling FROM short by saying they don't think about or plan these things. You can always argue that nerd Youtubers take it too far, but you can't argue that the story is THERE.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong I'm not saying they're bad writers or anything, just not quite on the level they're held up as! They found an excellent balance between telling and showing and ultimately I'm going to remember that far better than any sort of political bollocks that gets thrown into RPGs as some major statement.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

lets hang out posted:

Bloodborne leaked earlier than this. It was real then.

It also looked a lot more like a non-FROM title which is what people doubted. Those screens don't look right to me.

\/ Case in point.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 8, 2015

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
http://i.imgur.com/MV3SE0O.png
Looking forward to the boss of the Jewish cemetery.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Well, that is clearly a drawing and not a screenshot so

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm curious where people think the "in-game" shots would've gotten their assets from if they're fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocyber posted:

*puts on sunglasses*

Whether it's a cycle or you're a Dark Lord psycho
Vidja Games are art, Vidja Games are art
Gilligan's ladder breakin' The Fair Lady shakin'
Vidja Games are art, Vidja Games are art
Art, Art, Art, Art, Vidja Games are art, Vidja Games are art
Art, Art, Art, Art, Vidja Games are art, VIdja Games are aaaaa-aaaa-aahahaha-aaaart