Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. Fuckin' good on Midnighter for not messing about.
A positive gay sexuality relationship in mainstream comics is pretty exciting :D

E: As long as every issue doesn't just have him describing how rad he is to the people he's beating up.

A Midnighter that doesn't explain at length how he's fought this fight a million times in his head is no Midnighter I want to read about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Bizarro was a lot of fun and I like the comedy in the book.
I haven't read the rest of the titles I got yet, but paging through them and gently caress me if that half page advert isn't distracting as gently caress.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HitTheTargets posted:

A Midnighter that doesn't explain at length how he's fought this fight a million times in his head is no Midnighter I want to read about.

I really liked how King wrote Midnighter on Grayson but I got somewhat irritated at his constant banter here. The odd thing is that Midnighter was equally as chatty on both series. Having said that, I really liked Midnighter.

I've always found Midnighter as an interesting character back on the N52 and the story with the garden is a very interesting premise.

Bat-Mite was fun but some of the humour fell flat at times. Bat-Mite no making constant use of his reality-warping powers was also a bit distracting. Here's hoping it gets better on the second issue.

I wasn't totally sold on Bizarro but as soon they introduced Collin it won me over. Really fun issue with some great art.

Batman Beyond was different but is an interesting premise and it got me curious to see where everything's going. I guess it helps I don't have any strong feeling for the animated series :shrug:

Green Lantern was surprisingly decent, but I've been burned out by Venditti too many times already so, I'm wary.

Lobo is more of the same so if you didn't liked before, you won't be changing your mind. I liked it.

Got bored with Omega Men, great art but the writing didn't caught me.

Justice League was a good story but I'm sick of the League being punked by every major foe they face. Grail looking more and more as a mary sue character doesn't help either.

Action Comics was good but I'm sick of shady organizations turning the system against the heroes, the fact we don't know yet the exact circumstances behind Clark's outing as Superman made me feel like I caught a movie on its middle point.

The Wonder Woman Annual was decent if unremarkable. And it would seem that they solved the Donna plot too fast.

Green Arrow was fantastic and it perfectly follows Lemire's run.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Don't let D_T's recommendation scare you away, Midnighter owns hard.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I need to beef up my DC pulls so I'm going to be interested in any of these new series or resumptions of old series that might be good points to jump in.

This week, I'm looking at Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Midnighter. Any reason I shouldn't start on those? I've read 2 trade collections of Lemire's run on Arrow (I think Vols. 4 and 5) but that's it, and nothing from the other two.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dunbar posted:

I need to beef up my DC pulls so I'm going to be interested in any of these new series or resumptions of old series that might be good points to jump in.

This week, I'm looking at Green Arrow, Green Lantern and Midnighter. Any reason I shouldn't start on those? I've read 2 trade collections of Lemire's run on Arrow (I think Vols. 4 and 5) but that's it, and nothing from the other two.

Green Arrow is awesome

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Just about everything should be a decent jumping on point. This week, from what I've read, it's only Justice League that has a lot of baggage.
Check out the Sneak Peeks. Link's in the OP.
Those've been pretty indicative of the new issues, except for Omega Men and Action Comics. The Peek for Action makes it look like the comic will be a bummer, but #41 is actually really sweet and upbeat.

e: Oh, duh. Batman Beyond has the whole of Future's End. THAT's baggage.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 3, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Action was excellent in every way. Midnighter was great, Omega Men was good, Bizarro also good, forgot to read Bat-mite. GL and Lobo were poo poo.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Lobo is Archer without the self-awareness/humour.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The impression I got from the preview was that Midnighter is a crazy person. Is that accurate? That was my first exposure to the character. He kinda feels like a less-goonlord version of Judge Dredd.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Bizarro didn't completely grab me, but I'm willing to hang on for this first arc. They almost got me with the issue title's number.

I'm just waiting to get to Prez, and more importantly, Section Eight. :unsmigghh:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Travis343 posted:

The impression I got from the preview was that Midnighter is a crazy person. Is that accurate? That was my first exposure to the character. He kinda feels like a less-goonlord version of Judge Dredd.

He's not really crazy, just extremely unapologetic about being a man with a computer in his head who wears black leather and beats up people for a living, and has sex with men on his spare time.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Dunbar posted:

Green Arrow is great. It might be worth reading Lemire's final trade before reading #41 since it ends with a new supporting cast member who becomes a major character in Percy's run but for the most part it should be easy to just jump on to #41.

You definitely don't need to read the terrible Kreisberg filler arc between Lemire's and Percy's runs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't wrap my head around what they were thinking with New Lobo.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Green Arrow is awesome

Every hero should have a dog.

I'm also chiming into say that Green Arrow is very good. Percy immediately won me over by tossing out all of the Arrow poo poo from the previous writers and bringing back Lemire's fantastic work back to the forefront. I'm also really happy about how dense this book is, Percy talked about True Detective as a primary influence and it definitely shows in the pulpy narration. It's also surprisingly ballsy. It's bringing back the left-wing slant hard with some serious commentary on the racial realities of being black in America right out of the gate.

It's noble, but I'm really pulling hard that they don't gently caress it up.

Semper Fudge fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 4, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ImpAtom posted:

The dog will love Strombolis.

You think all dogs have to like italian food? That's speciest.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The All-Star line is resurrected for Section Eight :D

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wednesday can't get here soon enough :allears:

Is surprising what a decent colorist can do, Roy looks way better here than he did on the sneak peek (it helps that Medri's pencills also look better).

I'm also really pleased with the series picking off where RHATO ended, is gonna be a really fun ride.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Rhyno posted:

You think all dogs have to like italian food? That's speciest.

Yeah and to prove it's devotion to fighting speciesism Green Arrow is going to debut Cat CopsTM in the book. You don't have to be top dog to be the top cop.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

decent colorist

Eh. The gradients are kinda yuck.

e: MAN is Gotham Academy's new artist great.

That's much too adorable.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jun 5, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

Eh. The gradients are kinda yuck.

I'm just happy with Roy having the correct color scheme, hopefully Jason is the same.

Speaking of Roy, I don't know if just the stubble but he looks older than he ever did on RHATO or the Sneak Peek. I like it.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gotham Academy is replacing its artist? That blows.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Karl Kerschl is still the regular artist, Mingjue Helen Chen is just filling in for 2 issues.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUP_9BB6zWo

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Gotham Academy preview

Art is gorgeous and I was thinking of picking up due Damian but let's see if he has a decent showing here.

Also

"Red Hood Arsenal is a romcom with some action elements"

:haw:

Lobdell posted:

Palette is an international terrorist who is only interested in whatever cause will pay him the most money.

Battleworth is a Washington power broker who sees a lot of potential in Arsenal and Red Hood and makes the mistake of hiring them more than once — she's not a "threat," but she is a catalyst who gets Roy and Jason thinking there is a future in this.

Les Mimes is a heartbroken sod who winds up using his awe-inspiring self-duplicating powers for something as mundane as stalking his ex.

Underbelly is a thought who is also a crime lord that exists in every major city in America and parts of Europe.

Sera Fina is a superheroine in her own eyes and a super villain as far as the rest of the world is concerned — who wants to take Roy's new business model and take it global.

And finally, the all-new Batman is a city-sanctioned crime fighter who looks at Red Hood and Arsenal and only sees a rap sheet and not their best intentions.

And that is only the first five issues. So tighten that seat belt!

I'm so on board with this series :allears:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jun 5, 2015

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

The All-Star line is resurrected for Section Eight :D

Does this take place on 90s DC Earth or All-Star Earth with the God drat Batman?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
This was an above average week for DC comics. I'm really glad that Midnighter is back and his book looks good. Got a little teary when he started pining on Apollo. The good ol' days (wildstorm days, that is). Hopefully the rest of the month is just as strong.

Also Fabok is great. It was nice to see someone draw a Flash costume that I actually enjoyed looking at. It's going to be a shame when Johns, oddly, inevitably writes Barry off at the beginning of the arc like he has the past like 5 arcs.

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Finally getting around to reading my books, I can't say there was a dud among them. Green Arrow is amazing. Action was fantastic and so far the new status quo is living up to it's potential. Bizarro was everything I hoped it'd be, and I hope it gets more than the 6 issues.

Justice League was really on point too, though I'm trying to reconcile Mr Miracle with what he did over in Earth 2, since this is written like nobody has ever seen him before or established him as a character. There's wiggle room, and I'm sure it'll make sense, but it doesn't immediately fit.

I didn't get Omega Men and I'm kinda regretting it, I might have to grab it digitally and try it out. Or maybe I'll swing by my shop again when I'm out buying Twix. I can't stop thinking about Twix lately for some reason.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Honestly E2 was such a mess that it's probably for the best that Johns acts like it never even happened as far as Mister Miracle and Darkseid go.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Read JL #41 and Action #41 and thought both were terrific, but what do I need to read to get familiar with all this New Genesis/Apokolips stuff in JL? I've read the entire New 52 run of JL and I don't recall running into these people anywhere before.

Probably going to stop by the shop today and pick up Arrow and Lantern since I wasn't sure about them on Wednesday.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Rhyno posted:

It's not even the real Tim Drake! It's a future copy of him from 5 years from now.

Honestly they should have done it with the present Tim Drake which would have finally solved the problem of too many Robins.

Also why did they dispower Superman this time, I wasn't paying attention.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Dunbar posted:

Read JL #41 and Action #41 and thought both were terrific, but what do I need to read to get familiar with all this New Genesis/Apokolips stuff in JL? I've read the entire New 52 run of JL and I don't recall running into these people anywhere before.

Probably going to stop by the shop today and pick up Arrow and Lantern since I wasn't sure about them on Wednesday.

IIRC most if not all is new. I don't immediately remember any references to these characters, but if you're itching for more New Genesis/Apokolips in general, the Godhead event pits Lanterns against New Gods and the Robin Rises books saw ol' Bruce taking a leisurely trip to Apokolips.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

sbaldrick posted:

Honestly they should have done it with the present Tim Drake which would have finally solved the problem of too many Robins.

Also why did they dispower Superman this time, I wasn't paying attention.

Hasn't been revealed yet because DC hosed up their release schedule. Probably related to his new superpower, the Super-Flare, where he basically blasts all his stored solar energy like a nuke. He's used it a couple times and each time it's depowered him for 24 hours.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 6, 2015

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Action #41 made it sound like the backstory behind the de-powering and everything else would be revealed in Superman #41, out the last Weds of the month.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm fine with Action starting in medias res. I've watched Tarantino movies. According to Pak, the Truth books are largely telling their own stories with the shared status quo.

For NG, Godhead, Forever People and the E2 stuff were okay, but just get the Kirby omnibuses :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 6, 2015

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

New Gods were only really explored in three books. E2 for Mister Miracle, Barda and Apokolips. Wonder Woman for Orion and New Genesis. Green Lantern with God Head. The Orion focus with WW was fantastic in particular. He also appeared in a couple Superman issues but Lobdell wrote them so I wouldn't recommend it.

World's End had a lot of New God focus but it's incredibly hit and miss, especially because they had this stupid idea to make Barda defect back to Darkseid and not explain why she's suddenly going with Scott's side in Future's End, which WE directly leads into.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Finished reading the latest issue of Green Arrow and that poo poo is tight. I haven't read the title since Lemire left but this felt like a great continuation of Lemires stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If nothing else, Earth 2: Society'll be a looker.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/earth-2-society-1-dc-comics-2015

I didn't figure it'd keep the 'one year later' of the Sneak Peek going.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That Batman suit. :allears: that's Dick in the suit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Travis343 posted:

That Batman suit. :allears: that's Dick in the suit right?

Indeed, wonder if they will acknowledge the bit about being crippled on Convergence.

• Locked thread