Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm drilling through the rules for Dominant Species and holy dogballs this game is far denser than I somehow expected it to be. I can't wait to try it.

Also not really related to anything but I realized I really can't explain why I like Terra Mystica. I know I like it, yet even I think it looks dry and unexciting. Probably it has more to do with who I'm playing with. With the wrong players it certainly would be a hell of a lot duller.

I'm still finding it fun to try things and see if i can make them work. I also know I like games where making a plan & adjusting to unforseen changes on the fly is a thing. Maybe that's a big part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think Terra Mystica is super exciting and a big part stems from how technical it is. There's zero hidden information, everything is laid out in front of you so the only thing you have to worry about are the other players. But the asymmetric powers is just enough to keep the game from being flat out boring. It kind of reminds me of an old school play-by-email computer game and I'm pretty disappointed there isn't a digital version of it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Are there any light war games that basically play like Advance Wars on the ds?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Bottom Liner posted:

Are there any light war games that basically play like Advance Wars on the ds?

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40455/skirmish-wars-advance-tactics ?

I haven't played them myself, but aren't the Command and Colors games (Memoir 44, Battlelore, etc.) basically medium-light war games?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

al-azad posted:

and you can't do anything about it because you're a pilot or engineer and none of your cards apply to throwing someone in the brig. And there are 4 tracks that don't go down quick enough so it reaches a point where I'm just like "gently caress it, throw it in the towel." There's nothing satisfying about that.

Literally every character draws at least 2 cards per turn in colors that can be used to send people to the brig, including pilots and engineers. If none of your cards are in the right colors anymore, it's because you chose to spend them elsewhere.

al-azad posted:

Is the increased difficulty with fewer players not enough that the cylon can also cancel out another player completely?

Human players draw 5 cards per turn and can contribute any number of them to each skill check. Revealed cylon players draw 2 cards per turn and can only contribute at most one of them to each skill check. If a single revealed Cylon can completely nullify a human player's contribution to every skill check, you're doing something wrong.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I think the Cylons in question aren't formally revealed, just actually revealed. So you have a person not doing useful things and putting many terrible cards into checks, and often also getting to make bad choices on Crisis cards. But they aren't getting to move the fleets or draw Super Crisis cards etc.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

rchandra posted:

I think the Cylons in question aren't formally revealed, just actually revealed. So you have a person not doing useful things and putting many terrible cards into checks, and often also getting to make bad choices on Crisis cards. But they aren't getting to move the fleets or draw Super Crisis cards etc.

In context it's specifically about Cylons who have been formally revealed, complaining that they're still allowed to play the game play into skill checks at all:

al-azad posted:

And again, the nature of skill checks ensures that political/tactical Cylons stay in power and even when they are ousted as cylons they can still contribute to skill checks. Why? Is the increased difficulty with fewer players not enough that the cylon can also cancel out another player completely?

I'm also not sure how being a "political/tactical Cylon" helps one stay in power. I'm not even sure what a "political/tactical" Cylon is, since every character draws at least two cards from politics/tactics and at least two cards from outside of politics/tactics, so everyone is about as political/tactical as everyone else.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Played some games this weekend:

Dominion Adventures: really great. The game seems pretty polished, even though all of the extra tokens and mats seems like at first that they author was reaching for more things to do moving away from the elegance of the original game. But in that complexity seems to come fun. The duration cards were weird though, as they didn't go on the tavern and it seemed like the tavern was mostly unused for the intro card set we picked. It would seem more logical that all duration cards go on that mat. Anyhow, I enjoyed it especially since I started amassing a huge deck via Treasure Horde (the one with +3g +1c every time played). By the end of the game my friends and I felt like we had huge deck engines running without even meaning/planning to. Success!

Friday: this is a solo game I picked up since I knew I would be having some time to myself this weekend, and I like deckbuilding games. I spent about 2 hours on it, and man-- I still haven't even beaten the level 1 / easiest mode, like not even close. Either I really suck at it or I am not getting the rules right. I do like it though, the theme is fun (get this gold drat putz putz Robinson Crusoe off your beloved island), and while the art seemed a little repetitive at first, I like how corny it is.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

It took me like 6 tries to beat Friday on easy mode... And I drew some of the easier pirates...

Managing your hitpoints is sooooo important. I try to loose all of my negative Cards in the green stage of the danger cards and I worked out pretty well.

Also try to tackle the Cards like wild animals and cannibals in the green stage if possible. Helped me a lot in my games.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I know I'm late to the party on this one but I finally played Machi Koro today and holy poo poo is that an aggressively bad game. How did it generate any amount of hype at all?

jeeves posted:

Friday: this is a solo game I picked up since I knew I would be having some time to myself this weekend, and I like deckbuilding games. I spent about 2 hours on it, and man-- I still haven't even beaten the level 1 / easiest mode, like not even close. Either I really suck at it or I am not getting the rules right. I do like it though, the theme is fun (get this gold drat putz putz Robinson Crusoe off your beloved island), and while the art seemed a little repetitive at first, I like how corny it is.

I'm surprised you struggled with Friday if you have Dominion experience, I found it to be pretty solvable and beat the hardest difficulty on I think my 3rd game. The 'destroy' effect cards are totally broken but the game would be impossible without them, it really needs a redesign to be interesting.

al-azad posted:

I think Terra Mystica is super exciting and a big part stems from how technical it is. There's zero hidden information, everything is laid out in front of you so the only thing you have to worry about are the other players. But the asymmetric powers is just enough to keep the game from being flat out boring. It kind of reminds me of an old school play-by-email computer game and I'm pretty disappointed there isn't a digital version of it.

I assume you mean an official version since terra.snellman.net exists.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In context it's specifically about Cylons who have been formally revealed, complaining that they're still allowed to play the game play into skill checks at all:

I'm also not sure how being a "political/tactical Cylon" helps one stay in power. I'm not even sure what a "political/tactical" Cylon is, since every character draws at least two cards from politics/tactics and at least two cards from outside of politics/tactics, so everyone is about as political/tactical as everyone else.

No, the context is definitely a result of two cylons: one is revealed, one is not but doesn't have to reveal themselves because it's impossible to brig them.

Every single time I've played the game it's with 5 players. Every single time there are 2 cylons (strangely I have never been a cylon, I've played the game at least 6+ times). In the only game I've won the cylon ended up being Starbuck and Helo. My sympathy if you're a Starbuck cylon, you're completely useless. In every game I've lost the cylon was a military leader AND political leader and that's because your card draws are specific towards the most important chunk of the game. In the scenario from the last game I played it started with Laura as a cylon. She didn't do anything suspicious except intentionally choose crises that didn't have jumps if she could. Midway through the game Adama became a cylon. I immediately suspected him when we were at 6 jumps and he pulled a 1 planet out of his two choices. Went to the admiral's quarters to vote but I was playing Starbuck and only had 2 purple to throw in. One guy was Gaius who was brigged earlier by the president and had nothing, Laura suspected he was a cylon because my accusation was sound so she threw in poo poo cards, and the other guy was Chief who also has two cards to throw in. Even if the cylon didn't pitch in, none of us were equipped to brig Adama by a country mile.

So he revealed himself. Gaius continued to flounder in the brig. Laura's turn and she brigged Chief. So here I am as Starbuck, vainly collecting political cards to unbrig the other two players. For whatever reason brigged players don't draw crises so there's just nothing happening while one cylon player pounds on us while another intentionally throws the game and there's poo poo I can do about it. So crises are blowing up the ship and I try in vain to get someone out of the brig but between the unrevealed Laura and the revealed Adama I can't. The ship is surrounded but we were doing so well up to this point that the dials are taking forever to wind down. So I just call it game because seriously gently caress this, it isn't fun.

Next time I play, if I ever play, I'm going to see how the game is different if nobody plays a pilot. We were attacked once outside of the initial setup and no centurions ever boarded the ship. If we need to blow up ships there's the command and weapons control, I don't understand the need for having this extra miniatures combat dice rolling nonsense and characters devoted to something that's the least important aspect of the game.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

jeeves posted:

Played some games this weekend:

Dominion Adventures: really great. The game seems pretty polished, even though all of the extra tokens and mats seems like at first that they author was reaching for more things to do moving away from the elegance of the original game. But in that complexity seems to come fun. The duration cards were weird though, as they didn't go on the tavern and it seemed like the tavern was mostly unused for the intro card set we picked. It would seem more logical that all duration cards go on that mat. Anyhow, I enjoyed it especially since I started amassing a huge deck via Treasure Horde (the one with +3g +1c every time played). By the end of the game my friends and I felt like we had huge deck engines running without even meaning/planning to. Success!

Duration cards were in Seaside, so the mechanic for them is old, technically speaking, and they don't make use of 'calling' like tavern mat cards do which are only in Adventures

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It sounds like the mistake was going for a check you had little chance to succeed on, throwing your resources away failing to achieve it, and then having nothing left afterwards to defend against what the cylons tried.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It sounds like that Roslin just run you around in circles. If a Roslin consistently pulls no jump prep, you should be raising a lot of suspicion about her. If she's brigging people on top without a drat good reason (why was Gaius brigged?), then you should be ousting her or brigging her in turn before the sleeper phase. If you've hit sleeper phase and no-one's revealed you should be well aware that there are two Cylons around and that a brig action will a) probably fail because they'll hit it with everything they've got and b) it'll drain your cards too heavily to deal with crisis situations.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 8, 2015

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004
You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake.
I am hosting a board game night in a few weeks and looking for suggestions for some 6 player games that are introductory to light weight. I have 7 wonders and Coup and am thinking about maybe picking up Libertalia or The Resistance: Avalon but would also like some other suggestions.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Arnm616 posted:

I am hosting a board game night in a few weeks and looking for suggestions for some 6 player games that are introductory to light weight. I have 7 wonders and Coup and am thinking about maybe picking up Libertalia or The Resistance: Avalon but would also like some other suggestions.

Skull and One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Skull is super easy to teach and everyone loves it, ONUW is also very easy to teach because of the amazing free app, which in itself makes it a better experience than The Resistance imo.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Arnm616 posted:

Cash & Guns, Samurai Sword, or Dixit?

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004

snuff posted:

Skull and One Night Ultimate Werewolf. Skull is super easy to teach and everyone loves it, ONUW is also very easy to teach because of the amazing free app, which in itself makes it a better experience than The Resistance imo.

Thanks, I will look into those!

Foehammer posted:

Cash & Guns, Samurai Sword, or Dixit?

I looked at Cash & Guns but I thought I remember reading that the second edition kind of ruined the game, is that true or was that overblown? I will also look into Dixit and Samurai Sword.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Arnm616 posted:

Heres the thing about 6 player games, it really isn't a good sweet spot. Many good games either don't support that many players, or become incredibly unwieldy and long at that player count. Also a good portion of games are 2-5 player games, so the common advice for a board game night is to split into 2 groups and play 2 different games. There is a host of good light weight games out there in that space.
Quantum, Splendor (YMMV), Ticket to Ride, Al Hambra.

If you are insistent that ALL 6 of you play the same game at the same time, you really already have most of the good ones outside of those Foehammer listed (Assuming he meant Cash and Guns First Edition). oh AND Click Clack Lumberjack. That is a surprisingly good game.

Comedy Option-Argent with the Mancers of the University Expansion Pack DOES support 6 players.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 8, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Arnm616 posted:

I looked at Cash & Guns but I thought I remember reading that the second edition kind of ruined the game, is that true or was that overblown? I will also look into Dixit and Samurai Sword.
The rules imo for the first edition are better along with the art, but the game still isn't bad for 2nd edition.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

What are some games you guys would recommend for 7-9 year olds? My two little cousins are coming to visit for a week this summer and I want to have a few games for them. So far I'm thinking Love Letter, Splendor, Click Clack Lumberjack, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Machi Koro. They play stuff like Pokemon on the 3ds, so they should be able to handle all of the above as far as mechanics.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 8, 2015

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bottom Liner posted:

What are some games you guys would recommend for 7-9 year olds? My two little cousins are coming to visit for a week this summer and I want to have a few games for them. So far I'm thinking Splendor, Click Clack Lumberjack, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Machi Koro. They play stuff like Pokemon on the 3ds, so they should be able to handle all of the above as far as mechanics.

Teach them chess. ;)

(I learned by that age, so can they!)

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Arnm616 posted:

It may also be worth considering finding a sold 3 player game and have 3 teams of 2 players. You would just need to figure out what games are conducive to team play.

Arnm616
Dec 4, 2004

Madmarker posted:

Heres the thing about 6 player games, it really isn't a good sweet spot. Many good games either don't support that many players, or become incredibly unwieldy and long at that player count. Also a good portion of games are 2-5 player games, so the common advice for a board game night is to split into 2 groups and play 2 different games. There is a host of good light weight games out there in that space.
Quantum, Splendor (YMMV), Ticket to Ride, Al Hambra.

If you are insistent that ALL 6 of you play the same game at the same time, you really already have most of the good ones outside of those Foehammer listed (Assuming he meant Cash and Guns First Edition). oh AND Click Clack Lumberjack. That is a surprisingly good game.

Comedy Option-Argent with the Mancers of the University Expansion Pack DOES support 6 players.

Yea I know it would be better to split the group but this is a couples night thing and so I don't think the wife would be ok with that.

Tekopo posted:

The rules imo for the first edition are better along with the art, but the game still isn't bad for 2nd edition.

Good to hear, thanks!

Indolent Bastard posted:

It may also be worth considering finding a sold 3 player game and have 3 teams of 2 players. You would just need to figure out what games are conducive to team play.

I suggested team Galaxy Trucker but my wife gave me a dirty look and insisted she needed her own ship but that may still be on the table.

Diskhotep
Jan 4, 2008

Arnm616 posted:

With 6 players/3 couples, Ladies and Gentlemen might be a good choice.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm drilling through the rules for Dominant Species and holy dogballs this game is far denser than I somehow expected it to be. I can't wait to try it.

For such a complex game, it's pretty straightforward in flow, it's quite Euro-ish in that way, and the manual is clearer than most Eurogames out there. The only part that could have been better in the manual is the difference between dominating a hex (ie having the highest product of elements and adaptations for a given hex) and having the most species on a hex, which are both important for the Dominance action. Also, keep in mind that the single biggest source of points is going to be the end-game scoring, between the ice age dominance card, the last Survival scoring, and the final phase where each hex is scored separately.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Ladies and Gentlemen seems like it would be a great couple's night game.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Arnm616 posted:

But Pictomania, you won't regret it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Bottom Liner posted:

What are some games you guys would recommend for 7-9 year olds? My two little cousins are coming to visit for a week this summer and I want to have a few games for them. So far I'm thinking Love Letter, Splendor, Click Clack Lumberjack, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Machi Koro. They play stuff like Pokemon on the 3ds, so they should be able to handle all of the above as far as mechanics.

Ticket To Ride is good for this age group. It's pretty easy and kids love trains.

Takenoko is easy to learn, and everyone loves pandas. The game is bright and colorful in addition to being pretty fun.

Galaxy Trucker will probably work as long as you give them a few untimed build rounds to learn the rules.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Lord Frisk posted:

But Pictomania, you won't regret it

Seconding this.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Bottom Liner posted:

They sound like perfect candidates for Toc Toc Woodman, aka Korean Ultra Jenga.

As a side note, I also reckon this one is a winner at parties. Every time I've bought it out people have engaged with it and started enjoying it right away. Bonus points, super easy to turn into a drinking game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

Also, what about King of New York? Never played it myself (or Tokyo), so no idea if it's too much for kids, but I know they'd like the theme.

Toc Toc Woodman is a different edition Click Clack Lumberjack from what I gather.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Bottom Liner posted:

Is Toc Toc Woodman not Click Clack Lumberjack?

They are the same game

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DumbparameciuM posted:

They sound like perfect candidates for Toc Toc Woodman, aka Korean Ultra Jenga.

Click Clack Lumberjack is Tic Toc 2nd edition or something.

Edit: welp

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Nothing is ever as nail-bitingly tense as watching someone attempt to delicately chop down a plastic tree.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

al-azad posted:

Next time I play, if I ever play, I'm going to see how the game is different if nobody plays a pilot. We were attacked once outside of the initial setup and no centurions ever boarded the ship. If we need to blow up ships there's the command and weapons control, I don't understand the need for having this extra miniatures combat dice rolling nonsense and characters devoted to something that's the least important aspect of the game.
I wouldn't house rule the game to avoid pilots too quickly. Having red cards can be good, after all, to prevent Cylons from making themselves president or brigging humans.

It does seem like your group needs to be more cognizant of the need for hand management. Throw some bluff cards in the check, make Laura waste her good cards for nothing, then go take the presidency away. If you really had that much time, your team's superior card draw should eventually come to bear.

Also, if you think the miniature game chrome is superfluous nonsense, you might just prefer a simpler traitor game like The Resistance or One Night Ultimate Werewolf.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Zveroboy posted:

Nothing is ever as nail-bitingly tense as watching someone attempt to delicately chop down a plastic tree.

I will say I find it somewhat boring with six players. You only get a couple turns so it's mostly just watching.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zveroboy posted:

Except, perhaps, staring at the board of Napoleon's Triumph, praying your opponent doesn't test that particular corp because your line will absolutely collapse at the slightest push oh god why didn't I move that infantry over last turn.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Except, perhaps, staring at the board of Napoleon's Triumph, praying your opponent doesn't test that particular corp because your line will absolutely collapse at the slightest push oh god why didn't I move that infantry over last turn.

Man, I really gotta play my copy at least once someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

taser rates posted:

For such a complex game, it's pretty straightforward in flow, it's quite Euro-ish in that way, and the manual is clearer than most Eurogames out there. The only part that could have been better in the manual is the difference between dominating a hex (ie having the highest product of elements and adaptations for a given hex) and having the most species on a hex, which are both important for the Dominance action. Also, keep in mind that the single biggest source of points is going to be the end-game scoring, between the ice age dominance card, the last Survival scoring, and the final phase where each hex is scored separately.

with regard to this Dominant Species is pretty much at the top of the list of games I need to play, along with Mage Knight.