Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

seizure later posted:

Dunno why you wouldn't have been rooting for Littlefinger from the beginning. He's the only person who has earned his station rather than been given it by birthright

Because when he gets into power he will just go back on all of his promises because King's Landing is in too much debt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Red posted:

Did you need Dany to yell to Daario: "Create a perimeter around the survivors!"?

It looked chaotic, because it was.

The scene with Dany climbing on to the dragon looked bad and came off a little campy, but part of that was just weak special effects for that scene, and part of it was that I don't think there was a way to make that look not-silly.

The fight choreography by the Mereen/Dorne crew is noticeably worse than the northern crew.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Jon needs to marry Dany and throw a backbone into her

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Red posted:

Did you need Dany to yell to Daario: "Create a perimeter around the survivors!"?

It looked chaotic, because it was.
I suppose I didn't portray well enough that I thought the scene was okay from a dramatic standpoint, and I was able to look past fight choreography.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

seizure later posted:

Dunno why you wouldn't have been rooting for Littlefinger from the beginning. He's the only person who has earned his station rather than been given it by birthright

He murdered Ros. Fucker must burn.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Aristobulus posted:

Hizdar - that's the guy Dany married right, the high noble? And then he died.

What was his purpose in the story. Since he just got offed like that.

Just because the harpies stabbed him does not mean he wasn't in on it. If they had managed to kill the queen, also killing him deflects blame from whatever noble houses he vouched for.

But I always read WAY too much subtlety into these scenes, so when he was, "Making sure everything was set up properly" he was probably just taking a dump and was completely innocent.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never liked Shireen anyways. YEAH I SAID IT.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

When they pull back from the camp as it starts to ignite there is literally no one around so there is some type of some delayed start incisively device (that all happen to go at the same time) I don't think there is definite proof that Ramsey did poo poo. I think we find out next episode that he rolls up with his crew and sees the already half destroyed army with their King burning his own daughter alive and goes "alright" then high tails it back to his castle.

It's really not out of the realm of possibility that Melisandra choreographed all of this. Granted she looks surprised initially so maybe it was done by the Lord of Light or whatever?

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

He murdered Ros. Fucker must burn.

She was a bad investment.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Funky See Funky Do posted:

He's trading Shireen for his army. He can't take out another loan. If he loses this army he loses everything. Winterfell is just the most immediate strategic goal.

I thought he could still march back to Castle Black? Then he could just hop on the ships and do whatever, like a nice attack on KL. Nobody will give a poo poo if he "ran" if he can take an actual war goal, which Winterfell is not.

(Also then he if really needed King's Blood, Jon Snow had already pissed off the Night's Watch by being nice to the Wildlings; Stannis could have just offered to burn Snow and they would probably have said OK especially with Alliser around who knows his poo poo. But whatever.)

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Well he appears to be a pedophile for one thing.

How old is Sansa now? The actress is 18, coming on to her as an older guy may be creepy but it's not pedophilia.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

teagone posted:

I never liked Shireen anyways. YEAH I SAID IT.

she was the Walt Jr of Westeros

what's wrong with you

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I thought he could still march back to Castle Black? Then he could just hop on the ships and do whatever, like a nice attack on KL. Nobody will give a poo poo if he "ran" if he can take an actual war goal, which Winterfell is not.

(Also then he if really needed King's Blood, Jon Snow had already pissed off the Night's Watch by being nice to the Wildlings; Stannis could have just offered to burn Snow and they would probably have said OK especially with Alliser around who knows his poo poo. But whatever.)

Davos says that they don't have the food supplies to be able to march back, I'm sure?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

I had a guy wander up to me in a pub the other day. He knew my name. He recognized me from Kindergarden. I'm 30.

Meryn Trant saw this kid basically every day for a couple of months, running around training with her cat chasing and water dancing. He then hosed up capturing her and the entire kingdom had standing orders to find her asap. If he can't remember Arya he must have some sort of disability.

Not everyone responds the same way, hell Aya's schtick has frequently involved hoping someone from her past doesn't recognize her, with varying degrees of success; Littlefinger in Season...2? I think, when Aya was Tywin's servant girl, you got the impression like he sort-of recognized her but not reliably enough to do anything about it (and he never got a good look at her but you got the feeling like he felt something was off about her but he couldn't put his finger on why). In a similar situation, the Hound of all people recognized her immediately after barely a glance; you'd think their positions would be reversed.

The deal here is interesting since there's ambiguity; is he leering at Aya because he recognizes her from her past, or is he leering at her because she's 12?

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

seizure later posted:

Davos says that they don't have the food supplies to be able to march back, I'm sure?

He does.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Meh, Stannis is still supposed to be this brilliant military mind and yet he decides to march in the snow and basically pull a Napoleon.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

YANSEE posted:

When they pull back from the camp as it starts to ignite there is literally no one around so there is some type of some delayed start incisively device (that all happen to go at the same time) I don't think there is definite proof that Ramsey did poo poo. I think we find out next episode that he rolls up with his crew and sees the already half destroyed army with their King burning his own daughter alive and goes "alright" then high tails it back to his castle.

It's really not out of the realm of possibility that Melisandra choreographed all of this. Granted she looks surprised initially so maybe it was done by the Lord of Light or whatever?

I actually really like this development.

One explanation for all those massive fires going off so amazingly simultaneously would be the goddamn GOD OF FIRE setting them off

A scene where Ramsay just goes "WELP THAT WENT WAY BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD" would be pretty awesome.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Meh, Stannis is still supposed to be this brilliant military mind and yet he decides to march in the snow and basically pull a Napoleon.

This is not an invention of the show.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
Ramsay set the fires. They didn't have time to explain it further. Ramsay can also scare hardened armored warriors into fleeing by showing them dogs. This is a thing the show does with Ramsay. There's no need to overthink it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Chonchon posted:

A scene where Ramsay just goes "WELP THAT WENT WAY BETTER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD" would be pretty awesome.

I genuinely want this. Ramsay just laughing his rear end off "Seriously? No one spotted us. Didn't even have to kill anyone. I'm actually kinda bothered by that last part"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh, here you go Professor Booty.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

How old is Sansa now? The actress is 18, coming on to her as an older guy may be creepy but it's not pedophilia.

14 at the end of Season 3. She spent maybe a few months being married to Tyrion, and then he takes her to the vale and is kissing her in Season 4.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah Melissandre seemed awfully surprised about that raid, I can't imagine that's an act

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Well he fixed it by having a monsterface BBQ to keep everyone warm.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Ramsay is like the characters in Teen Beach Movie where he is aware of the fact he is on a TV show and just picks the things to do that will move the story along and to his advantage such as boasting about being able to destroy an army with 20 good men who are apparently fire ninjas so the telegraphed burning of king's blood could continue.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

she was the Walt Jr of Westeros

what's wrong with you

She's not really

For one, Walt would have done literally anything to protect junior

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

zoux posted:

Oh, here you go Professor Booty.

Thanks! You're just super :)

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Walt was a cooler guy at the end of Breaking Bad than Stannis was when he was introduced

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Do you mean noted military genius Napoleon? It was a gamble he calculated he had to take and so far it's not working out.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
That masked men uprising scene was so bad from start to finish. Crowd running in circles in the stadium for no reason, attacking one by one when they got dany and co encircled, the total lack of sense of danger or urgency at any point in time, and the final dragon ex machina that somehow perfectly goes after only masked bad guys in a crowded stadium, and also dany getting some quality petting time without being attacked.

I interpret tyrion's face in the end as "why did they move me from king's landing where they got decent actors and things happening that make sense, to this shitshow"

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Stannis attacking Winterfell isn't dumb, they have covered the reasoning multiple times. If he doesn't attack now, a very long winter will set in and prevent any major troop movements for many years. By the time the summer comes again, his claim will have lost all momentum and someone else will be happily perched on the throne. It's not that he thinks a long siege in heavy snow is a good idea, it's that it's basically his only option and this is essentially his hail mary play.

Chonchon
Dec 16, 2013

tekz posted:

the total lack of sense of danger or urgency at any point in time, and the final dragon ex machina that somehow perfectly goes after only masked bad guys in a crowded stadium, and also dany getting some quality petting time without being attacked.

Drogon burns an unsullied in the second group of people he attacks.

But yeah that scene was pretty dumb in general.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

This episode proved that Stannis is the best king possible for Westeros at this point. We know that he will do whatever it takes for the good of the realm, no matter the personal cost to himself. He is a true leader and a hero. I love you Stannis Baratheon.

This but unironically.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

I said come in! posted:

Not this thread specifically, but i'm seeing a lot of people else where on the internet that want to believe very strongly that George R.R. Martin has nothing to do with the new HBO content that isn't in the books. Stuff like Shireen's sacrifice though was his idea. It's just interesting to see some of the reactions else where on the internet. They tend to be different from this thread but not by much.

While it's very likely GRRM has Shireen's death planned at some future point that hasn't been published yet, the circumstances surrounding her death are going to be very different for obvious reasons (if you've read the books you'll know what I mean). Shireen's death actually didn't bother me, I found it to be a very moving and sad scene, but the writers handled it well, despite the fact that it seemed a bit rushed, as was everything else this season. I know people hate how slow paced the books are, but a lot of people don't realize that that's what makes the world and characters so compellingly real. You get a much deeper understanding as to why characters are doing the things they're doing and the circumstances as to why things are happening when you actually take the time to tell a story and build a world. Everything in the book is explained in such greater depth, and there is a lot less "well that just seemed like a convenient coincidence for the plot" than there is in the show.

In trying to condense two books into this one season a lot of the nuance and depth was lost this season which is why a lot of the events seemed so ridiculous and nonsensical. I know it's fantasy, but in the books, it just felt more real. I still like show, and I admit if they spread the books out over the course of multiple seasons it would have been too slow for most show watchers who just want to see big things happening every episode. The show is the fast paced / simpler and stripped down version of the books and works for what it is. Still, I can't help but feel it's the dumbed down version of the books. It's a shame because they got the first three seasons so right, for the most part.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gianthogweed posted:

While it's very likely GRRM has Shireen's death planned at some future point that hasn't been published yet, the circumstances surrounding her death are going to be very different for obvious reasons (if you've read the books you'll know what I mean), and that's why a lot of people are upset. I know people hate how slow paced the books are, but a lot of people don't realize that that's what makes the world and characters so compellingly real. You get a much deeper understanding for why they're doing the things they're doing and circumstances as to why things are happening things are explained in such greater depth. In trying to condense two books into this one season a lot of the nuance and depth was lost this season which is why a lot of the events seemed so ridiculous and nonsensical. I know it's fantasy, but in the books, it just felt more real. I still like show, and I admit if they spread the books out over the course of multiple seasons it would have been too slow for most show watchers who just want to see action big changes every episode. The is the fast paced / simpler and stripped down version of the books and works for what it is. Still, I can't help but feel it's the dumbed down version of the books. It's a shame because they got the first three seasons so right.

People have no idea what's going to happen with Shireen in the books and trying to fanfic out the future of the series is what got people so upset about Stannis this episode.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

tekz posted:

and the final dragon ex machina that somehow perfectly goes after only masked bad guys in a crowded stadium, and also dany getting some quality petting time without being attacked.

I interpret tyrion's face in the end as "why did they move me from king's landing where they got decent actors and things happening that make sense, to this shitshow"
The scene had some dumb parts but it's pretty clear the dragons recognize Dany as mom, the show has explicitly shown this more than once, and it's pretty well hinted that there's some sort of greater connection between her and Drogo. It's plausible the dragon would show up when she's in trouble and would attack the people threatening her, and while the face-to-face moment was a little convenient, it's not totally unreasonable that people would be momentarily stunned by HOLY poo poo A DRAGON.

The attack ending as soon as she flies away so everyone could stare at her did seem more than a little lazy though.

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 8, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cheers to Stannis, it takes a real strong character to take a decision like that!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EccoRaven posted:

This but unironically.

Same.

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed

ErIog posted:

Yeah, that's how characterization works. Relying on "well she's a mother!" isn't sufficient as a characterization and comes really close to being a really lazy :biotruths: explanation. Selyse has been shown to believe that Shireen is cursed, sinful, and the living embodiment of her failure to give Stannis a son. Selyse has been shown in the past wanting to physically abuse Shireen. She has been emotionally abusive to Shireen. She has been shown to be a devout believer in Melisandre's teachings, and has been willing to go quite far in the name of following those teachings. These are core parts of her character. These are things they have shown us.

Considering all the crazy poo poo that happens in the real world, I would have had no trouble believing that Selyse, a religious fanatic, would be willing to sacrifice her child in pursuit of her faith. I'm not going to accept, "she's a mother!" as an explanation because the show hasn't demonstrated that her being mother is a thing that would matter to her. In fact it has spent the entire series demonstrating quite the opposite and reinforcing what a religious fanatic she is.

So yeah, in that moment, she acts like a completely different character without the show ever leading us to that moment. You're saying that I'm being "beep boop" about this when I could just as well characterize your answer as "beep boop she's a mother she must break down when her child dies no matter the context boop beep."

Did you hear those screams though?

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

ErIog posted:

I thought Shireen being sacrificed was well-justified within the plot, and could see it coming from miles away. I knew the second he was sending Davos off what was going to happen, and Davos giving Shireen that gift was the thing that loving sealed it. There was no reason for that scene to have a sense of foreboding like that since for all Davos knew he was running an errand to the wall. So they tipped their hand on it pretty early.

The one thing I was pissed about is that Selyse was always a very interesting character because in that relationship she was the super-religious hardliner. She trusted Melisandre more than Stannis did, and made it known she didn't think much of her daughter.

So I was kind of pissed when they show Stannis all loving stoney-faced while Selyse loses her poo poo. That's the complete opposite of everything those 2 characters have been up to this point. I would have much preferred the reverse situation where Stannis begins to object, and then the guards prevent him from intervening. It would have been much more interesting from a political standpoint too since it's been pretty clear for a long time that Melisandre is running the show, but this act would have made it explicit.

Melisandre could have even spit out some evil-sounding line that's similar to what he said to Shireen in their last conversation like, "It is your destiny to become king, and this is the sacrifice that is demanded." So I thought the idea of it was fine, but that the um.. execution.. was kind of poor.

Arya is the worst loving spy and whoever wrote those scenes is a loving idiot. In the span of an episode she's gone from using her training to be a stone cold badass to being a bumbling loving idiot that's lucky she wasn't loving murdered for her pocket change(or worse) for trespassing in that brothel.

That misses the point that Stannis is not being swept up in a cult. He is and always has been in charge. He chose this, in so many ways. I have no idea why people think that's stupid. Now he's a man so consumed by his code and his thirst for the throne, he has sacrificed the only thing that really ever mattered to him besides that.

The writers probably remembered that Arya is a godamn child, and having her be masterful at subterfuge makes no sense. It's way different to go scope out some weirdo you don't know who's always in the same spot than to stumble upon one of the people you hate the most and have to scramble to track him.

Blazing Ownager posted:

Since I saw this in a crowded room with some interruptions, I do have one question: Were they clearly showing both masters AND slaves were now sons of the harpy?

Has Dany successfully united them.. in being sick of her? Because if so, that's hilarious.

The Sons are poor people being paid by rich people, not just rich people

People have crisis of faith all the time. She got her faith tested and discovered it wasn't as strong as she thought it was. Resenting your child and being abusive towards them isn't the same as not loving them. If that's not enough for you then ok but that's the explanation and it makes sense.

Yeah, she's obviously a damaged lady (I mean, she keeps her 'sons' in jars and whatnot. Shireen was a reminder of that shame and sadness, so she resented her, but, like, a lot of lovely parents still love their kids

Elephanthead posted:

All you Stannis complainers are blind to the fact that a supernatural army of the undead is marching south to extinct the human race save a few for breeding new baby white walkers. You act like Stannis is out to be king and live the high life. He is about stopping and apocalyptic extinction event. The stakes don't get higher than that. It is Sophie's choice but instead of between two kids it is between his kid and the human race, of which his kid would die anyway. Really about as much as a choice as the kitchin girl had. Hey girl you want to make a copper coin to buy some food? Come with me.

He's really not all about that at all. He is about making himself king. Amusingly, Melisandre is the one who is all about fighting the 'good' fight. If Stannis was bought into her poo poo, he wouldn't have hesitated to sacrifice Shireen when Mel first asked. He's quite obviously been using her as a means to an end; that's why he's often willing to disregard her or leave her behind. The more her magic works, the more likely he is to actually fully buy in, though.

seizure later posted:

Just because he's doing a tiny bit of class struggle hardly makes him worth rootin for. He's actually still a noble, anyway, plus there's the general "enormous gently caress off war" he started for his own amusement and profit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Can we just pause for a moment and appreciate how great Mace Tyrell singing was? Like, the Iron Bank official had no qualms at all dealing with Stannis, but was utterly at a loss on how to deal with someone like Mace. He seems like a cool dude and it's going to be great when he gets back to King's Landing and Cersei sees that he's not dead.

• Locked thread