Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Itzena posted:

Archive linking without :siren: should be a probatable offence. :colbert:
i was able to pull myself away this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I mean someone doesn't necessarily have to figure out that Anthony's using some nasty magic on Annie based on evidence from that chapter. I've been told the foreshadowing future events is a common writing thing.

But hey if Zimmy and Gamma want to kick down the Donlan's door and j'accuse Anthony of being a bone sorcerer right in the middle of dinner I won't protest. Might make some interest plot happen right now.

Yeah it would be really interesting and not at all a cliche for all of Annie's friends to team up to beat the badguy.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Anyone saying they know exactly what happened in Divine is a lying liar and/or a foolish fool.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I suspect Divine's purpose was to inform the audience rather than inform Zimmy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

No matter how you look at it, it's hard to divine the exact purpose of that chapter.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Tonybot's social interaction subroutine continues to be barely adequate.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God drat, Anja is trying so hard to ignore her better instincts here, its incredible.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Pistol_Pete posted:

*everyone sits down at the dinner table*

*awkward silence*

Anthony speaks up: "I must thank you for inviting us over tonight. It gives Antimony an opportunity to apologise in person to you for the appalling way on which she took advantage of your daughter's trusting nature."

*Antimony stares at her plate, willing death to come quickly*

*Awkward silence becomes exponential*

:golfclap:

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

Love how Anja and Donny have immediately retreated to the other side of the room while Tony stands at the doorway like a goddamn vampire.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Okay, so, this page convinced me that Anthony isn't actively malicious: he's just a loving idiot who has no business raising a child.

At this point I think someone needs to flat out explain to Tony that he's a lovely parent. He's not going to be able to figure it out on his own. He can't, his brain just doesn't work that way. Donnie needs to sit him down and say "I know you're trying your best to be a good father, but your best is awful. Please stop. Stop everything you're doing immediately. Seriously, you're doing way more harm than good."

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

We have to analyse the scene from how it's portrayed as well. Annie is standing with the Donlans while Tony is standing alone in the doorway. He's an outsider with no true understanding of the situation. He's severely autistic and suffers a serious social handicap and I think it stems from Surma's death, he allowed himself to be vulnerable and truly loved her and he had no way to process her death in a healthy manner. Ysengrin was right, Annie didn't take Surma's life, she gave it to Annie as part of a cycle but Tony is hell bent on breaking that cycle because it represents his loss and his pain and he has internalized that pain as his love for Annie.

Annie is a disappointment only because she has broken the social contract but Tony's autistic rules lawyering takes that to an extreme and now it represents his failure as a father and he's trying to fix her. The Donlans are Annie's true family and Tony used to be part of their life, but now he's a black sheep.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Daius posted:

Love how Anja and Donny have immediately retreated to the other side of the room while Tony stands at the doorway like a goddamn vampire.
Anthony is a space wizard who unconsciously enlarges any room he stands in. That's why he has such a hard time being friendly; his powers literally push people away.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Anthony is a space wizard who unconsciously enlarges any room he stands in. That's why he has such a hard time being friendly; his powers literally push people away.

Tony is an Untouchable

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I wonder what's for dinner.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anja noticed that his face is hosed up.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

RZApublican posted:

:golfclap:

Yeah, that about sums it up.

Ahahahahaha, I loving KNEW he'd bring the cheating up!

Also, I believe this is the first page in the comic where Anja's actually opened her eyes?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Darth TNT posted:

I wonder what's for dinner.

Anthony: "I believe it is customary for dinner party guests to bring a small contribution to the meal"

*Slaps Reynard's roasted corpse down on the table*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Tony continues to be down with the dickness.

OO WAH AH AH AH

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Silly Anja. Shaking hands is how guys say hello.

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=389

Major faux pas.

Edit: I really want to see everybody recoil in disgust the moment they see Tony's face now.

Clam Chowdown fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 8, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Nonbaka posted:

Edit: I really want to see everybody recoil in disgust the moment they see Tony's face now.

Eglamore just laughs and laughs, but yeah, more recoiling less acting like he's not a drat robot.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bongo Bill posted:

Donald saw them coming through the peephole and steeled himself.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FronzelNeekburm posted:

As an autistic vampire he has to be invited into every room individually. Antimony has forgotten to do so and will shortly be rightfully chastised.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I take it they're more angry at Anthony for being a shitlord than they are at Annie for cheating off their daughter. I love it how everybody just realizes how bad her dad is and sympathizes with her.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Line Feed posted:

I take it they're more angry at Anthony for being a shitlord than they are at Annie for cheating off their daughter. I love it how everybody just realizes how bad her dad is and sympathizes with her.

Yeah it didn't seem like they were retreating from Anthony as much as they were just trying to get Annie the gently caress away from him.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

This is what happens when Anthonybot is not programmed with the proper subroutines:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1011
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1013

also when he is near a girl

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

This is what happens when Anthonybot is not programmed with the proper subroutines:
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1011
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1013

also when he is near a girl

Do you think that he clenched his fist so hard it fell off?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I read the entire series nonstop last year in a day or two. Decided it was too good to read week by week and stopped reading until now when I reread it fully over the weekend. No way I can wait a nother whole year now that Anthony has shown up. Why is this series the greatest?

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Anthony wants the Donlans to admit they knew Annie was cheating, and that they didn't care. If they own it, he has administrative ammunition to use against them; if they pretend to be surprised, Annie gets pulled further under the bus.

He's in cahoots with the Headmaster in trying to rein in Annie and her little circle of troublemakers.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

She's one to talk, she's got tiny soulless voids where her eyes should be.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think Anthony is just going to be simply 'bad' and robotic the entire time. The flashbacks of him kneeling beside Surma at the hospital and Donny's memories of him paint a very different picture. Then again the time Annie collapsed and Zimmy punched him makes it really hard to tell.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Take that Anthony, you thought you were the clear winner in the small eye competition but Anja is the smalleye champion.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I like how faded and bleached Annie's silhouette looks in the first panel without an outline.

Also how Anja is Olive Oyl when she opens her eyes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think Anthony is just going to be simply 'bad' and robotic the entire time. The flashbacks of him kneeling beside Surma at the hospital and Donny's memories of him paint a very different picture
That part of him died with Surma.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Jackard posted:

That part of him died with Surma.

Maybe. He did look at Annie with such venom when she walked into the hospital room. I'm still hoping for more to him than Jerk™. Him being in cahoots with the headmaster does make sense considering the Donlans didn't know he had been hired. Curious to see what an annoyed Coyote will be like. I hope he doesn't make Ysengren do something bad :smith:

I do think Anthony is right to make Annie repeat though. Cheaters shouldn't prosper!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

I do think Anthony is right to make Annie repeat though. Cheaters shouldn't prosper!
Maybe they shouldn't have styled the school rules after Hogwarts then

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe. He did look at Annie with such venom when she walked into the hospital room. I'm still hoping for more to him than Jerk™. Him being in cahoots with the headmaster does make sense considering the Donlans didn't know he had been hired. Curious to see what an annoyed Coyote will be like. I hope he doesn't make Ysengren do something bad :smith:

Repeating is an ultimately ineffective way of solving the problem that can do more harm than good for the child. It's a form of public shaming that's liable to turn the child into a pariah, not psychologically healthy or beneficial to anyone in the long run. Or the short run.

It's why schools don't do that when cheating is discovered.

Edit: Much less do that year(s) after the fact, having known about it the whole time. The Court forfeited any sort of moral high ground by not confronting Annie about it upon discovery, as opposed to letting her dig her hole deeper for, I don't know, shits and giggles?

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 8, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think Anthony is just going to be simply 'bad' and robotic the entire time. The flashbacks of him kneeling beside Surma at the hospital and Donny's memories of him paint a very different picture. Then again the time Annie collapsed and Zimmy punched him makes it really hard to tell.

I've become more convinced this wasn't etheric surgery so much as a metaphor for how he is keeping Annie from achieving her true potential. She wears the mask to please him.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's not so much the court making her repeat the year as it is Anthony. The shaming I'm obviously not down with but the idea of someone having to redo work they didn't do themselves makes sense to me. Also I want to believe Anthony will actually turn out to be a good guy! I hope he didn't manipulate or force Surma into choosing him over Eglamore.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think she should be shamed, even publicly, for what she did. Not just from an academic perspective, but for the massive breech of trust between friends. I guess it's OK with Kat because they're kids and school sucks, but imagine if Annie had lied to her about something big, or stolen something of hers.

But she might feel bad about doing something bad :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Expel Harry Potter