Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I will not be at WWDC but work a few blocks from Moscone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
The goonmeet at last year's WWDC was one of my favorite events from it. Makes me sad not to be going this year (even though money + kids makes it pretty much impossible).

One thing I'm a little curious about, though. So we developers have an incomplete list of sessions through the WWDC client, since so many of them are redacted. I'm guessing the real schedule is set somewhere, but I'm kind of curious if the employees giving the presentations even know when their presentations are going to be. Or is it just "You're going to be doing the newXYZ presentation, and you'll find out when it is once everyone gets the full list!"?

But, as in all things Apple, I'm not expecting a response.

Anyways, here's my predictions for WWDC:
- iOS 9
- OS X 10.11 place-in-California
- Xcode 7 (I'm really hoping Refactor->Rename now will work in Swift)
- Swift 2.0, mostly because round version number (or at least, a new, big Swift version), along with a lot of updates to libraries to be more Swift-like (I'm really really hoping for some UIKit overhaul here)
- Native Watch SDK
- Native Apple TV SDK
- The thinnest something ever

Not ambitious predictions, but I really end up not wanting ambitious things to happen. I just want good, solid improvements in Apple's software and dev tools. I would be fine with another "no new features" release, for both OS X and iOS.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There are sometimes last-minute schedule changes, but no, mostly we know exactly when and where we'll be speaking.

I'd be happy to get together for lunch or dinner sometime this week; any time but Tuesday lunch or Wednesday night works for me. Just PM me.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Also at WWDC.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Axiem posted:

- Native Apple TV SDK

Would definitely be interesting. I've kinda suspected that the MFi game controller support introduced in iOS 6/7/whenever was a precursor to Apple TV apps. I just hope that if they do release a new Apple TV with a native apps SDK that they've found a better interaction model than the "d-pad + hardware buttons" model found on regular TV remotes and console game controllers.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I won't be at WWDC but I'll be around if anyone wants to meet up.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice
OK, lunch on Thursday Wednesday lunch somewhere closer to Moscone is the plan.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 8, 2015

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Ender.uNF posted:

OK, lunch on Thursday is the plan. Depending on how many people want to come we have options. I know of several in the mission (KenKen Japanese curry or Mission Chinese) or we can just do something close to Moscone. Who's in?

Alas, Thursday I have lunch plans, so I'll only be there in spirit.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

Alas, Thursday I have lunch plans, so I'll only be there in spirit.

The earlier in the week the better for me, as I need to book a flight for Wednesday or Thursday.

How about Tuesday dinner or Wednesday lunch?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

The earlier in the week the better for me, as I need to book a flight for Wednesday or Thursday.

How about Tuesday dinner or Wednesday lunch?

Either will work for me!

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Anything but Tuesday lunch should work for me.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Yeah, our rep at Apple wants me to do a thing Thursday. Voting for near the Center Lunchish.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
Ok ok, checking on Tuesday / Wednesday for lunch.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just found a fun new way to break Xcode. I think it was because I called exit(0) while a debugger was attached (don't ask.) It was the last thing I did when this started happening.

This app will no longer stop at breakpoints, neither on device nor simulator. Other projects still work fine. The debugger is attached; I can pause and see the fully symbolicated call stacks. I can use the UI debugger mode.

I did fuxcode, cleared simulator content and settings (even though this happens on iOS devices too,) and checked for anything odd that changed in the project settings.

It looks like I just no longer get breakpoints for this one Xcode project. Ooooooook.

edit: After one more fuxcode and a second reboot, the breakpoints now work on the same iOS device but not the simulator. Xcode is out of its mind preparing for the keynote.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 8, 2015

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Dev center is down for wwdc, so any of us planning testflight builds or a release today can apparently go gently caress ourselves

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

UIApplication posted:

Dev center is down for wwdc, so any of us planning testflight builds or a release today can apparently go gently caress ourselves

I think this is the second year in a row I should be getting an app approved today or tomorrow w00t for me.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
OK, the new plan is Wednesday for lunch. Who's in?

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Works for me

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Same.

---

Looks like Yosemite has its Snow Leopard. About drat time.

Also, Metal for OS X. Nice.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Open source swift. drat.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
OBJECTIVE-C GENERICS

https://twitter.com/simjp/status/607974485744943105

:D

Also, what's this about nullability in Objective-C?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The nullability annotations have been public for a while, I think, if you knew where to look (i.e. the clang commits list). The primary impact is to change how APIs are imported into Swift.

Objective-C generics still have erasure semantics, of course, but yes, you can now write NSArray<NSString*> and so on. (And it's covariant, at least for NSArray.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Erasure semantics means that they don't need an iOS9 runtime or anything, right? That's a feature.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Erasure semantics means that they don't need an iOS9 runtime or anything, right? That's a feature.

Yeah. It's a pure compiler play, like Java generics, and for basically the same reasons.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Does that mean that the obj-c runtime won't know anything about the generic types specified? That'd make me sad.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I guess adding it to the property attribute string wouldn't require any new runtime functionality and would be enough to be able to to do overly clever things.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The old developer forums have been archived and replaced with new forums.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

I guess adding it to the property attribute string wouldn't require any new runtime functionality and would be enough to be able to to do overly clever things.

But it's not done at the moment :(

Obj-c generics also appear not to result in Swift generics, which is a bit odd.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
As somebody who's developing an OS X game but doesn't have a Mac Developer account, I'm glad to see that they've unified the separate iOS/Mac developer programs into one, and now I can sign my game and distribute outside the Mac App Store without having to pay another $99/year or having customers see the "This program is from an unidentified developer" error/warning.

Plus: :rock: Metal for OS X :rock:. It'll be interesting to see how they handled the fact that Metal for iOS was very clearly designed for systems with unified CPU/GPU memory.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Doc Block posted:

Plus: :rock: Metal for OS X :rock:. It'll be interesting to see how they handled the fact that Metal for iOS was very clearly designed for systems with unified CPU/GPU memory.

Yeah this is a big question I have too (and :rock: for OS X was my favorite announcement today). Surely it can't only be for Macs with integrated graphics, right?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Plorkyeran posted:

Obj-c generics also appear not to result in Swift generics, which is a bit odd.

They can't if they're done with type erasure, right? There's no runtime artifact.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Hooray for live streamed sessions, too. Platform State of the Union about to start.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

lord funk posted:

Hooray for live streamed sessions, too. Platform State of the Union about to start.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/

poo poo. Everyone can laugh at my goofy butt in the front row.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"Our presentation will begin shortly..." :dance:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Also, do people actually give a poo poo about radio in 2015? Especially with that demo and the radio voice + radio attention grabber sounds, how is this supposed to be better than vanilla terrestrial FM radio?

And no mention of making it easier for unsigned artists to actually get their music in there beyond the Connect thing.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol my company is so hosed, like 90% of our ipad implementation doesn't use autolayout

Multitask mode gonna break so hard

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

They can't if they're done with type erasure, right? There's no runtime artifact.
The marked type just needs to be preserved for the compile-time swift bridging stuff, not any runtime stuff.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Once again, the iPhone compatibility mode on iPad still emulates a 3.5" screen :mad:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

The marked type just needs to be preserved for the compile-time swift bridging stuff, not any runtime stuff.

We haven't conclusively decided not to import generic ObjC types as generic Swift types; it's just that it introduces some interesting language and implementation hurdles. For one, @objc extension methods on generic ObjC types would not be able to refer to their type parameters in the full range of ways that non-@objc extension methods can. That's a pretty weird restriction, and we didn't really design Swift around being able to diagnose it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

The number of women presenters this year is a nice change. One day, it won't be such a novelty.