Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Looking for some new PC games in the same vain as the following games:

Dishonored
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Alpha Protocol

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

I'm in the mood for mechs! I didn't have a PC when Mechwarrior was big but I loved Mechassault on Xbox, even if it was more arcadey. What mech games should I check out? Bonus points if modern or work on W7 64bit. I know about Hawken and Mechwarrior Online but I heard they're terrible examples of the F2P model.

Havoc904 posted:

Dishonored
Alpha Protocol

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic has even more flexibility in combat than Dishonored, and I haven't played Arx Fatalis, but both these games are cult classics by the same developer.

There's also (obviously) the first Deus Ex, but I enjoyed Deus Ex Invisible War and think it's worth a playthrough even if it's not nearly as good. There's also Project Snowblind, which was meant to be multiplayer Deus Ex til it got re-named and devolpment changed direction. I haven't played it since it was new, but I remember it being cool and pretty fun.

Alpha Protocol might be Obsidian's best game in my opinion, but anything by them has fantastic writing if that's what you're looking for. Just expect bugs and half baked action.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsidian_Entertainment#Games_developed

I'd also recommend The Chronicles of Riddick if you're looking for something similar to Dishonored. It's the best first person stealth game and the best movie game ever made. It's cheap as gently caress and the PC version not only runs fantastic, but it comes with two full games. All these games are on PC and cheap.

http://i.minus.com/ib0lUGmSzXT5El.gif

rizuhbull fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 6, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries works well on modern equipment but can be a touch hard to find now that the free release is down. I can't think of any other good ones on PC off the top of my head. Especially not ones that aren't 15-20 years old and a bitch to get running.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Havoc904 posted:

Dishonored
Alpha Protocol

Vampire: the Masquerade?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

rizuhbull posted:

I'm in the mood for mechs! I didn't have a PC when Mechwarrior was big but I loved Mechassault on Xbox, even if it was more arcadey. What mech games should I check out? Bonus points if modern or work on W7 64bit. I know about Hawken and Mechwarrior Online but I heard they're terrible examples of the F2P model.

dis astranagant posted:

Mechwarrior 4: Mercenaries works well on modern equipment but can be a touch hard to find now that the free release is down. I can't think of any other good ones on PC off the top of my head. Especially not ones that aren't 15-20 years old and a bitch to get running.

If you look for it you can still find copies of the free release that people have rehosted. I'm not 100% sure if it's :filez: or not so I'm hesitant to post a link but it's fairly easy to find.

Onato
Dec 29, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS

Hello mate, we should be friends because we like the same kind of games. Try Dominions 4 if you want to experience what true addiction feels like.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Havoc904 posted:

Dishonored
Alpha Protocol

I recommend Splinter Cell Blacklist, it's a great stealth game. I haven't played Splinter Cell Chaos Theory yet, though people seem to like that one even better.

EDIT: System Shock 2 is also nice, if a bit janky.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

Any recommendations for a good turn-based game? rpg/4x/tactical combat/roguelike or any combination of the above.

I'm waiting for the upcoming updates to Divinity:Original Sin and Wasteland 2 before I finish them, and am at a bit of a loss as to what to try next.

Stuff I have played and enjoyed:
Age of Wonders 3
Endless Legend
X-COM
Jagged Alliance 1.13
Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
TOME
DCSS

Silent Storm is the closest thing to a good Jagged Alliance 2 sequel around, and also has fantastic destructible environments with a huge impact on the gameplay. It is also on sale on GOG right now!!!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Recommend me a good metroidvania on PC? Preferably one with the desolation/exploration feeling of Metroid (loved Axiom Verge).

Stuff I've already played/beaten: Aquaria, Axiom Verge, La Mulana, Dust: the Elysian Tail, Cave Story, Guacamelee, Unepic.

VVV: Forgot about that, beat that too.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 6, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Pierzak posted:

Recommend me a good metroidvania on PC? Preferably one with the desolation/exploration feeling of Metroid (loved Axiom Verge).

Stuff I've already played/beaten: Aquaria, Axiom Verge, La Mulana, Dust: the Elysian Tail, Cave Story, Guacamelee, Unepic.
Waking Mars.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Are there any cool FPS for PC anymore besides CS:GO? I like the Battlefield series a lot but played the hell out of BF4 already and read that Hardline sucks

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

crunk dork posted:

Are there any cool FPS for PC anymore besides CS:GO? I like the Battlefield series a lot but played the hell out of BF4 already and read that Hardline sucks

HAWKEN Is pretty great for balanced team vs team, Planetside2 is great for Battlefield-esque massive chaos battles (though is pretty hard on newbies)

E: Both are free without pay2win

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Killing Floor 2 and Payday 2 are both fun games to play with friends.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I'll look up Hawken tonight. Got Black Ops II for like 12 dollars earlier and haven't played it before so I guess that will be cool too. Seems like the amount of high quality FPS for PC has really dropped in recent years. I was out of the PC gaming loop for a long time.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

crunk dork posted:

I'll look up Hawken tonight. Got Black Ops II for like 12 dollars earlier and haven't played it before so I guess that will be cool too. Seems like the amount of high quality FPS for PC has really dropped in recent years. I was out of the PC gaming loop for a long time.

:(:respek::( The Call of Duty and Battlefield games have starved out all the competition, even good games just don't have population. CSGO is pretty much the only high-pop game left in town, and most of the rest of the playing field doesn't know what makes FPS fun.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Pierzak posted:

VVV: Forgot about that, beat that too.

Iji is a freeware metroidvania that looks like trash in still screenshots but is actually one of the polished greats, up there with Cave Story. It distinctively has a lot of Deus Ex-ish elements like a focus on finding routes or secrets that may only be accessible to your character having been built a certain way, story consequences for your actions, and the ability to play through the game as a stealthy pacifist.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm trying to find some easy breezy games for my mom. She just got on Steam and so far all I've found for her is some of the old Humongous games.

She's used to Facebook games, Animal Crossing, and Hoyles Card Games. She has a lot of trouble with twitch-based games but if the game is easy/forgiving enough, she might be able to play it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm trying to find some easy breezy games for my mom. She just got on Steam and so far all I've found for her is some of the old Humongous games.

She's used to Facebook games, Animal Crossing, and Hoyles Card Games. She has a lot of trouble with twitch-based games but if the game is easy/forgiving enough, she might be able to play it.
If she likes the Humungous games than they are a good bunch of recent adventure game that aren't twitchy, i.e. the Blackwell series, Gone Home, The Dream Machine, Kentucky Route Zero, and Life is Strange.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Is there any decent Terraria like games on Steam?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

DoubleCakes posted:

How about any of the Pop Cap games? They're all pretty easy. Peggle is my usual recommendation.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

DoubleCakes posted:

Hatred

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Go Go Nippon.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've recently started playing on my iPhone 6 and I'd like some good suggestions. Preferably games that aren't typical App Store crap. I purchased the port for XCOM which is pretty great.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

I've recently started playing on my iPhone 6 and I'd like some good suggestions. Preferably games that aren't typical App Store crap. I purchased the port for XCOM which is pretty great.

King of Dragon Pass: A port of a great PC game that's wholly unique. You run a stone age tribe in a fantasy decision, making both Civ style decisions about how to manage war and economy and expansion and RPG style decisions on how to deal with problems and scenarios as they come up.

Sorcery/80 days: Extremely well made and well written choose your own adventure games made by the same company.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

80 days was so much fun to play on an airplane.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Yaws posted:

Is there any decent Terraria like games on Steam?

God no. It spawned a huge slew of clones and they all blow rear end. The closest game is Starbound, but it's a frustrating unbalanced first quarter of a game.

Fortunately 1.3 is coming "soon" and is said to double again its content; that's what I'm waiting for.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Windforge is fairly decent and actually gives you a reason to build poo poo.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
A couple of friends and I are looking for something to play in the evenings after work, hopefully for an hour or two at a time. Can anyone suggest some less well known four player co-op games? Assume I already know about Paday 2, any of the Borderlands, Far Cry, etc.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Keeshhound posted:

A couple of friends and I are looking for something to play in the evenings after work, hopefully for an hour or two at a time. Can anyone suggest some less well known four player co-op games? Assume I already know about Paday 2, any of the Borderlands, Far Cry, etc.

AI War is a pretty good RTS/Tower Defense Title that has co-op. Sacred 2 or Torchlight 2 if you're into ARPG's. And while not less well known, the Heists in GTA online are some of the most fun co-op experiences I've had in a while.
Of course, if you can be bothered to get the multiplayer working, the Paradox grand strategy games, such as Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4 are supposed to be pretty good. I guess there's also the ARMA games, but YMMV depending on if you're in a clan or not.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A team of 4 is enough to have a blast playing against pubbies in Natural Selection 2.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Keeshhound posted:

What's the Alien Swarm remake called? It might fit the bill. And if it's the wrong platform or something, the old one is still a blast if a bit :xcom:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Pierzak posted:

What's the Alien Swarm remake called? It might fit the bill. And if it's the wrong platform or something, the old one is still a blast if a bit :xcom:

Thanks for reminding me of that one; we'll have to give that a try.

Probottt posted:

AI War is a pretty good RTS/Tower Defense Title that has co-op. Sacred 2 or Torchlight 2 if you're into ARPG's. And while not less well known, the Heists in GTA online are some of the most fun co-op experiences I've had in a while.
Of course, if you can be bothered to get the multiplayer working, the Paradox grand strategy games, such as Crusader Kings 2 or Europa Universalis 4 are supposed to be pretty good. I guess there's also the ARMA games, but YMMV depending on if you're in a clan or not.

I kind of need for it to be realtime, because whenever I play Civ with these guys they wind up building an enormous army and then taking 2-5 minutes each turn.

To narrow things down a little, I think an ideal game would be almost like Monster Hunter where we could play for an hour or two each night, ideally getting a little stronger each time, but play sessions can be consumed in chunks, with fairly clear breakpoints.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 8, 2015

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Keeshhound posted:

I kind of need for it to be realtime, because whenever I play Civ with these guys they wind up building an enormous army and then taking 2-5 minutes each turn.

To narrow things down a little, I think an ideal game would be almost like Monster Hunter where we could play for an hour or two each night, ideally getting a little stronger each time, but play sessions can be consumed in chunks, with fairly clear breakpoints.

Sounds like you are looking for an MMO. World of Warcraft is still the big name there. Secret World is pretty cool and The Old Republic MMO is tolerable (better if you're in the mood for Star Wars).

If you aren't looking for an MMO give Don't Starve a try.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Keeshhound posted:

Surprisingly: This is how I play The Witcher 3 more or less. Do a couple of quests. Takes about an hour, maybe two. For such a huge game it works really well in small chunks. It's kinda like an MMO only the quests are actually... You know... Good and have good plots, great characters and then there's the main plot that I haven't actually played in a week...

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

LLSix posted:

Sounds like you are looking for an MMO. World of Warcraft is still the big name there. Secret World is pretty cool and The Old Republic MMO is tolerable (better if you're in the mood for Star Wars).

If you aren't looking for an MMO give Don't Starve a try.

I'd be more inclined towards an MMO if there were any with really solid action gameplay. There's a couple of potential future releases that have caught my eye, but nothing available right now really seems like it'd really fit. We've tried more traditional ones (WoW, SWTOR,) but I've always wound up being unable to get invested enough to keep playing. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Is Don't Starve Together four player? I always assumed it was two player only.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Keeshhound posted:

Have you tried Mass Effect 3's multiplayer? It's a four player co-op horde mode kinda thing. One match typically takes something like 15-20 minutes, and with the credits earned from the matches you get to buy equipment packs that contain random goodies like new, better guns, new character classes etc.
It's a bit janky technically, but just oodles of fun.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm looking something with RPG elements with a bunch of interlocking systems, nothing grognardy necessarily, but something I can tackle in chunks and zone out to while listening to podcasts. System and strict genre doesn't matter.

I know that's really vague, but basically I'm looking for Dark Cloud 2. But I've played that game to death. Diablo 3 on consoles also fit the bill for a while.

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

DoubleCakes posted:

I'd suggest Triple Town and Kingdom Rush.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Keeshhound posted:

I'd be more inclined towards an MMO if there were any with really solid action gameplay. There's a couple of potential future releases that have caught my eye, but nothing available right now really seems like it'd really fit. We've tried more traditional ones (WoW, SWTOR,) but I've always wound up being unable to get invested enough to keep playing. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Is Don't Starve Together four player? I always assumed it was two player only.

It is 4 player! Last time I checked it supported 6 and I think it can support more now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Keeshhound posted:

Take :catdrugs: and play campaign coop EYE Divine Cybermancy.