Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

So there's a new Unearthed Arcana out, this time, covering variant rules:

I liked this story more when it was the plot to the movie Major League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Judgement posted:

Is there a way to make a ranger that is anything approaching decent at all, then? I had assumed they were simply Uninteresting rather than being Actually Bad. One of the other players in my game chose a dual wielding ranger, and he's brand new to D&D in general so now I feel kind of bad for him if he managed to stumble his way into something that isn't going to be any fun to play.

I already had to gently nudge a few of the other players with advice like "Hey maybe you actually want more than a 14 in your Primary Attribute." On the one hand I sometimes feel a bit guilty for focusing so hard on builds and number crunching rather than letting them just roleplay what they want, but on the other this is very much a game where the math, broken as it may be, is a Really Big Deal despite whatever claims are made to the contrary.

No, not really. The only real thing that Rangers are contributing to 5e as a whole right now is a spell that bards can steal to become better archers. Everything else they bring to the table can be done better by fighters, paladins, or druids. And the animal companion rules suck because they haven't figured out how to balance "an extra body on the table" with the action economy.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
^^ Just give them an animal up to something reasonable and give it full actions. Casters will be summoning all sorts of bullshit by about level 5 anyway.

A lazy, broken attempt at a diceless DM conversion. loving awful health recalculation bullshit. Babby's first introduction to "strict alignments are dumb"

They pay someone to write this?

goatface fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 8, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

A lazy, broken attempt at a diceless DM conversion.

If only they took the 5 minutes to check their math, they would have just been lazy for copying over the Players Roll All the Dice rule from 3.5's Unearthed Arcana

Instead, they're also incompetent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

goatface posted:

Probably not much, and I don't think they pay anyone at all to edit it, let alone actually playtest it. Hell, at this point I'd be surprised if any of these rules have even seen a table before.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

goatface posted:

That guy's on Jury Duty.

Pulsedragon
Aug 5, 2013
So what happens if you have a negative con mod and your GM uses vitality? Do you just slowly die every night and then slip into an irreversible coma, or what?

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Pulsedragon posted:

So what happens if you have a negative con mod and your GM uses vitality? Do you just slowly die every night and then slip into an irreversible coma, or what?

Con mod doesn't factor into Vitality, you just use Vitality instead of your Con score to determine your Con mod as it affects your max hp.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pulsedragon posted:

Only the halest and heartiest babies make it 4 days past childbirth because of the hefty penalty being a child inflicts on your con score.

Generic Octopus posted:

Con mod doesn't factor into Vitality, you just use Vitality instead of your Con score to determine your Con mod as it affects your max hp.

Each long rest you restore 1+Con Mod vitality. If you have a negative con mod you can never regain vitality. if you have a sufficiently negative con mod you should start losing it.

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Generic Octopus posted:

Unearthed Arcana posted:

Completing a long rest increases a character’s
vitality by 1 + the character’s Constitution
modifier, up to the character’s maximum vitality.
Effects that restore hit points have no effect on
vitality. However, a character with maximum hit
points who receives healing instead restores 1
vitality for every 10 points of healing.

Now, if we exert a bit of critical thinking we can manually insert "(minimum of 0)" after "character's Constitution modifier" but the way that it is written means that a character with a -1 restores [1 + -1 =] 0 Vitality every long rest, and a character with a -2 restores [1 + -2 =] -1 vitality every long rest, and thus every night slowly wastes away a little more, unless healing magic is pumped into them.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Each long rest you restore 1+Con Mod vitality. If you have a negative con mod you can never regain vitality. if you have a sufficiently negative con mod you should start losing it.

It doesn't change your Con mod outright, though. It's explicitly for the purpose of (re)calculating max hp.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Generic Octopus posted:

It doesn't change your Con mod outright, though. It's explicitly for the purpose of (re)calculating max hp.

OK, but what if you have 8 CON to begin with?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Prism posted:

OK, but what if you have 8 CON to begin with?

Or 6 or 7 because you had to roll stats.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And even if we account for that. all it means is that now it takes [damage mage has taken]/10 days to get the part back up into fighting shape, as opposed to 2 days no matter what.

I guess it makes wizards nice and squishy but it sounds like all it does is make 5e Rocket Tag combat even more grindy in the long term. "Well we had our one combat for the day, time to go to sleep because I'm within 'can be killed by a stiff breeze" territory now."

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

djw175 posted:

Or 6 or 7 because you had to roll stats.

Little steps.

I was actually going to say 'what if your CON got drained to like 6' but I couldn't remember if 5E had stat damage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any creatures with a con below 8? Or are they already extinct?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Also, once you got above level 10, any damage you take would decrease your maximum hit points faster than your actual hit point total. a 13th level character who takes 20 damage would lose 26 MHP.

In what farcical world is this better than using hit points by themselves?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Prism posted:

Little steps.

I was actually going to say 'what if your CON got drained to like 6' but I couldn't remember if 5E had stat damage.

I think only to STR and INT so far? Definitely those two at least.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

goatface posted:

All the monsters in Castle Wobegon are above average.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

goatface posted:

I was really hoping the intellect devourer was for jokes but it turns out it only has a strength below 10. Disappointing.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Maybe the vitality rules are written so at the party's first long rest after a grueling set of encounters, a dm can look at the guy who dumped Con and go:

:smug: "Heh, scrub."

LFK
Jan 5, 2013

Kurieg posted:

Also, once you got above level 10, any damage you take would decrease your maximum hit points faster than your actual hit point total. a 13th level character who takes 20 damage would lose 26 MHP.

In what farcical world is this better than using hit points by themselves?

Literally the only function it serves is that spending all day taking 6 damage from Kobolds won't cause Vitality drain.

But their example:

Mike Mearls (probably) posted:

A fighter
can survive a fireball, a troll’s rending claws, and
a one‐hundred‐foot fall, only to crumple in a
heap due to a kobold’s dagger slash.
Isn't actually impacted by this rule at all. A fighter with 2 HP and 18 vitality is still going to drop and start making death saves after that Kobold shank. Literally the only change is that the Fighter is more likely to die before they even get to the Kobold, so the rule doesn't even fix the problem that the rule invented in order to fix.

Though even then it's not clear if the problem is "Fighters can survive 100' falls" or "high level characters can take 100' falls but are still vulnerable to minor, un-cinematic threats."

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

LFK posted:

Literally the only function it serves is that spending all day taking 6 damage from Kobolds won't cause Vitality drain.

But their example:

Isn't actually impacted by this rule at all. A fighter with 2 HP and 18 vitality is still going to drop and start making death saves after that Kobold shank. Literally the only change is that the Fighter is more likely to die before they even get to the Kobold, so the rule doesn't even fix the problem that the rule invented in order to fix.

Though even then it's not clear if the problem is "Fighters can survive 100' falls" or "high level characters can take 100' falls but are still vulnerable to minor, un-cinematic threats."

I find it funny that they made a system with bounded accuracy and are now complaining about the thing that bounded accuracy does.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
I think this has done it. I think this is the worst Unearthed Arcana they have put out yet. Didn't find any use in the mass combat rules, but I assume some might. But this seems to be actively worse at what it is supposed to do than what is already there.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Ryuujin posted:

I think this has done it. I think this is the worst Unearthed Arcana they have put out yet. Didn't find any use in the mass combat rules, but I assume some might. But this seems to be actively worse at what it is supposed to do than what is already there.

There's always more.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
So yeah on another matter I once more looked at the Yakk talent Fighter. Sadly doesn't seem to have been updated this year, and no idea if there is more of it anywhere. But now I am curious what this thread could come up with for the other sections of it.

code:
Talents Known

Code:
         0    1    2    3    4    5    6
  1      1
  2      2
  3      3    
  4      2    1
  5      2    2
  6      2    3
  7      2    2    1
  8      2    2    2
  9      2    2    3
 10      2    2    2    1
 11      2    2    2    2
 12      2    2    2    3
 13      2    2    2    2    1
 14      2    2    2    2    2
 15      2    2    2    2    3
 16      2    2    2    2    2    1
 17      2    2    2    2    2    2
 18      2    2    2    2    2    3
 19      2    2    2    2    2    2    1
 20      2    2    2    2    2    2    2

quote:

At each level you either learn a new Talent, or upgrade a low level one. When you reach level 3, 6, 9, 12, 15 or 18, you pick a talent of your highest level, and learn it at the next level up.

Sample Talent ideas:
Leap: You can jump 2/3/5/10/20/50/100 times farther than normal. If you spend an action to jump, this can exceed your normal speed. You can melee attack after using an action to jump as a bonus action, dealing an extra (ability leveld12) damage if the attack hits.

Strength: You have advantage on Strength checks to lift, push or pull, or to resist same. You can carry (ability level+character level/2, round up)*2 times more weight than normal. If you fail a Strength saving throw and have your second wind available, you can reroll the save. If the reroll fails, you lose your second wind and the save succeeds. Your current and maximum strength increases by (ability level*2).

Leadership: A follower is any ally who acknowledges you as their leader. Once per round as a reaction you can add d3/d4/d6/d8/d10/d12/d20 to a failed check or save a follower who can see or hear you makes: if the check still fails, you regain your reaction. Your followers have advantage on all saves against fear or effects (such as charm) that would promote disloyalty to you. Others can feel your leadership, and may want to follow you.

I really like this idea, sadly Yakk never revealed what any of the other talents would do in this thread, and I couldn't find any other references to what the other talents would do.

quote:

Because I think pure combat attributes are a bad idea -- we should instead grant the character awesome abilities that can be used in combat, which would grant both combat utility *and* non-combat utility -- here is an attempt at a list:

Lifting, Jumping, Leadership, Deciept, Impenetrability, Senses, Reflexes, Grip, Throwing Arm, Endurance, Running, Swinging/Tumbling, Tactics, Strategy, Morale, Grit, Gusto, Practice, Analyze, Stubbornness, Luck...

These are taken from the mythic (non-spellcaster) heros I'm aware of. Can you think of others?

Adding "extra damage" is easy.

So there is a list of possible other talents, I am curious what the thread would come up for those talents, using the three fleshed out ones above as examples.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Judgement posted:

Is there a way to make a ranger that is anything approaching decent at all, then? I had assumed they were simply Uninteresting rather than being Actually Bad. One of the other players in my game chose a dual wielding ranger, and he's brand new to D&D in general so now I feel kind of bad for him if he managed to stumble his way into something that isn't going to be any fun to play.

I already had to gently nudge a few of the other players with advice like "Hey maybe you actually want more than a 14 in your Primary Attribute." On the one hand I sometimes feel a bit guilty for focusing so hard on builds and number crunching rather than letting them just roleplay what they want, but on the other this is very much a game where the math, broken as it may be, is a Really Big Deal despite whatever claims are made to the contrary.

I'd appreciate advice people might have on this score. I am DMing for the first time, and one of my inexperienced players made a Ranger. I have a few ideas for how to avert any potential problems, if anyone has better suggestions, the options I'm considering are:

1) Let her just take both archetypes. This feels like the worst option, since the real issue is that the beast will still suck.
2) Let her take any beast up to Large and CR 1, not 1/4. Scale its HP up more as it levels to stay in line with player characters.
3) Make up a magical mind-link or something, so on her turn she controls the beast and herself, she does not have to choose whether to command it or take an action.

Right now I'm leaning towards 2 and 3. Thoughts?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Keshik posted:

I'd appreciate advice people might have on this score. I am DMing for the first time, and one of my inexperienced players made a Ranger. I have a few ideas for how to avert any potential problems, if anyone has better suggestions, the options I'm considering are:

1) Let her just take both archetypes. This feels like the worst option, since the real issue is that the beast will still suck.
2) Let her take any beast up to Large and CR 1, not 1/4. Scale its HP up more as it levels to stay in line with player characters.
3) Make up a magical mind-link or something, so on her turn she controls the beast and herself, she does not have to choose whether to command it or take an action.

Right now I'm leaning towards 2 and 3. Thoughts?

I'd say if you had a beast that was like, I don't know, 3-4 levels behind the party or something that can't really die and consumes a bonus action to command you might be on to something.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Ryuujin posted:

One of our DM's put us through a mass combat scenario. It was the absolute worst.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
I don't think Beastmaster is that bad, at least no more so than other martial classes. At level 11 you effectively have three attacks, like a Fighter, you just have to use the companion for two of them. The low defenses on the companion are garbage though. There are ways to work around it, but someone shouldn't be able to quickly knock all of your class features unconscious.

Animal companions definitely need a new HP formula. You could just let them keep their normal hit dice size, but give them a number equal to Ranger level. Then determine max HP the same way a player would. Barding can already fix up AC. It'd be a pretty quick fix to add the ranger's proficiency bonus to all of the companion's saving throws, as well as the DC of all of the companions abilities. A character that makes three attacks per attack action, two of which have Pack Tactics and induce a DC 13-17 Strength save to avoid going prone (Wolf), seems alright.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...

DarkHorse posted:

if the wolf pups are a problem for you, why not tell your players and ask them how you as a group should solve it? Quit thinking of the game as a way to arbitrate problems, it's only there to resolve "this is possible to do but this [DC] difficult, can they do it?" questions, not questions of whether it should be done.

Raising dire wolf pups over several levels to make an animal companion at the appropriate level sounds cool, I'd be annoyed as a player if the DM took them away with bullshit stealing gnomes rather than just saying "I didn't expect you guys to try to raise them and keeping them messes up my plans. Would you mind if we didn't do that?" just because nerds can't people.

No, that's our solution as a group, me killing the pups when nobodys looking. We're all friends who grew up together and all our games usually end up spending way more time sidetracked with stupid poo poo like this than the main campaign. But my main point there was we tend mostly to play RAW and handle animal doesn't help with handling wild animals. We also play with no coup-de-grace/auto-hitting bound and unconscious targets because it's not explicitly in the rules, so there have been many hilarious blundered executions.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
I started thinking after our last session--as a Fighter/Wizard, Shield is a fuckin' baller-rear end spell that's saved me from dying in probably more than half the fights we've been in.

Which makes me wonder: how in the hell do non-Eldritch Knight/non-multiclass Fighters even survive without it? They have pretty much gently caress-all for damage mitigation or avoidance on their own, other than a Fighting Style (+1 whole AC) that several other classes can also use, and a maneuver that only works for Dex Fighters and might not even help all that much anyway if you roll lovely.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
There's the Defensive Duelist feat, I guess..?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

When people say that fighters are better at taking damage than casters, they don't actually mean resisting or withstanding it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The idea is that they've got the best armor and health. Wizards aren't going to get that much magical protection due to concentration anyway, although they can be further away from the action.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Solid Jake posted:

I started thinking after our last session--as a Fighter/Wizard, Shield is a fuckin' baller-rear end spell that's saved me from dying in probably more than half the fights we've been in.

Which makes me wonder: how in the hell do non-Eldritch Knight/non-multiclass Fighters even survive without it? They have pretty much gently caress-all for damage mitigation or avoidance on their own, other than a Fighting Style (+1 whole AC) that several other classes can also use, and a maneuver that only works for Dex Fighters and might not even help all that much anyway if you roll lovely.

You're not really that much better at not getting hit - it's just that you can afford to be hit more often than the Wizard can.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's that heavily armoured feat that gives you DR3 against bludgeoning and slashing, and piercing if you're like me and really can't be arsed to keep track.

One of my players took it, it's pretty good for wading into mooks at low levels. I'm thinking of making it scale. 1+proficiency? Keeps you no-selling the scrubs for a bit longer.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Solid Jake posted:

In one of the games I played, the answer was "your frontliners all took the protection fighting style and cover each other".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Really Pants posted:

When people say that fighters are better at taking damage than casters, they don't actually mean resisting or withstanding it.

Unless you have multiple people in melee soaking up hits, the fighter will go down just as fast as anyone else. They can stack their ac to the sky, but bounded accuracy and monster multi attack progression means it doesn't really matter.

That was how I died more times than not, my paladin rushed nobly into battle followed by precisely zero of the additional melee. Six attacks later I was on the ground sucking dirt while the casters kited the monster around in a circle, or continued the nova round my cooling corpse allowed them to set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Wizards and such get the Shield spell because they're supposed to have generally low AC, with Shield bringing them up to the standard in emergencies at the cost of a (cheap) resource and a reaction. This isn't always the case though, as a Wizard can multiclass into a single level of Fighter and gain the ability to cast spells without penalty while wearing half-plate armor and a shield, as well as getting the Protection fighting style, giving them a base AC of 20 before magic items come into consideration. With Shield up, they'd have 25 AC (same as the Tarrasque has) as early as level 2.