Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Depressio111117 posted:

My main criticism of this episode is almost nobody at Castle Black was wearing gloves. Gangrene's gonna get 'em before the White Walkers do.

Gangrene? Maybe you mean frostbite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Tristane and Myrcella are the embodiment of precious, naive teenage love. They'll be OK, right? :ohdear:

Lol they are so dead

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Maarak posted:

If a show consistently depicts a character as being bad at something, maybe it means they're not good at it. See also: fandom being confused by the Sand Snakes.

I'll admit that I was confused as to how competent the Sand Snakes were supposed to be. They were introduced as some sort of real threat, in that (hideously staged) scene on the beach. But every subsequent appearance has been pretty consistent with the idea they're terrible, and that their ring leader is a moron.

Mostly, the Dorne scenes have fallen flat for me because the whole plot feels like a sitcom happening in the Game of Thrones universe. It's built on layers of misunderstanding, Doran is this exasperated patriarch who's tired of this poo poo, Trystane is an awkward teenager playing (unconvincingly) at being a heartthrob. The Sand Snakes have this Brady Bunch / Modern Family-esque sibling rivalry (Tyene is the flirt! Obara is a tomboy! Nymeria's the middle child..."why's it always Tyene Tyene Tyene! Mom!!!")

The cap on the entire plot is literally a joke; "ho ho! I thought they were going to kill Bronn but they just punched him in the face!" It's tonally jarring, when the lead-in to that plot was Oberyn getting his head crushed after he tried and failed to avenge his dead sister.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Who could have predicted the writers could be so stupid? Bobo didn't even see Stannis wanting to make Jon the lord of Winterfell and leaving the wildings in the hands of Jon as good actions. I give him no points. They clearly were trying to show Stannis in a good light this season for the purposes of trolling the audience. I mean, he even marched out to a heroic sounding theme.

It's the same thing they did at the end of last season with Sansa. They purposefully make you think a character is going in one direction, then laugh, and say hah we fooled you.

Hey, I'll admit that I thought he was wrong and that he just had some crazy thing against stannis, but the reality is the signs for stannis were there all along and I, and obviously you, didn't see them. Just because we wanted stannis to be a good and choose to save his daughter over taking the crown doesn't mean that's what character wanted; stannis is obsessed with becoming king and he will even sacrifice his own daughter to achieve what he believes is his destiny.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Neptr posted:

Lol they are so dead

Probably raped first and then dead :ohdear:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Who could have predicted the writers could be so stupid? Bobo didn't even see Stannis wanting to make Jon the lord of Winterfell and leaving the wildings in the hands of Jon as good actions. I give him no points. They clearly were trying to show Stannis in a good light this season for the purposes of trolling the audience. I mean, he even marched out to a heroic sounding theme.

It's the same thing they did at the end of last season with Sansa. They purposefully make you think a character is going in one direction, then laugh, and say hah we fooled you.

Sorry I didn't see the murderous, self serving rear end in a top hat trying to bribe a young man away from his sworn duty for his own personal gain as good, I guess. Never mind that in doing so, he disinherits Sansa, leaves Castle Black in turmoil in a desperate times, and fundamentally goes against the wishes of Ned, who easily could have had Robert legitimize Jon whenever he wanted but wouldn't because Jon is (probably) not his drat son

Sorry, dude. Stannis was evil the whole godamn time

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 8, 2015

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Tristane and Myrcella are the embodiment of precious, naive teenage love. They'll be OK, right? :ohdear:

<

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Maarek posted:

In the show Stannis says that since winters can last a decade in the setting, he can't afford to stop his campaign and wait for spring. He doesn't really have anywhere to go even if he wanted to, he was driven out of his lands and Jon Snow tells him straight up that the wall doesn't have enough food to house his army for much longer, much less the whole winter. Attacking Winterfell is a crazy gamble, but what are the non-crazy options? Give up and go into exile like Viserys?

Hop back on his boats and attack a useful target, or at least siege a target that actually can be sieged as opposed to one that is already stocked for a long time while he will have no supply lines?

It's not like Stannis has had great military luck so far in the show, as opposed to Robert E. Lee or Napoleon or someone. What he is doing is just plain stupid. Especially when the North isn't even a great campaign goal considering it's now snowed in, has had it's troops depleted due to Robb's war and the Red Wedding, and can't act as a supply base which Stannis desperately needs.

I guess this is like the personal guard and advisor of Dany deciding to get involved in a street fight.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 8, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

Hop back on his boats and attack a useful target, or at least siege a target that actually can be sieged as opposed to one that is already stocked for a long time while he will have no supply lines?

It's not like Stannis has had great military luck so far in the show, as opposed to Robert E. Lee or Napoleon or someone. What he is doing is just plain stupid. Especially when the North isn't even a great campaign goal considering it's now snowed in, has had it's troops depleted due to Robb's war and the Red Wedding, and can't act as a supply base which Stannis desperately needs.

Pretend that Robert E Lee or Napoleon bought 100% into the religious teachings of a woman who had predicted absolutely correctly everything that had happened up until then and had shown them unexplainable visions of their future victories in magic fire and then was telling them to do the thing that seems bad but God will help them overcome.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

zoux posted:

Pretend that Robert E Lee or Napoleon bought 100% into the religious teachings of a woman who had predicted absolutely correctly everything that had happened up until then and had shown them unexplainable visions of their future victories in magic fire and then was telling them to do the thing that seems bad but God will help them overcome.

And remember his great defeat came the one time he explicitly ignored her and left her at home

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Guys wait I think we're speculating too much on futile characters who will have no true impact when the impending doom crosses The Wall.

When Dany shows up to Westros Jon Snow tells her about the incoming Nights King and the White Walkers weakness towards Valaryian steel so she takes a look at the Iron Throne (which the Targ's crafted from all the Valaryian swords of conquered kings) and promptly had it melted down into a Final Fantasy like super sword which effectively breaks the Wheel. In the meantime Jon Snow realizes his Targ blood allows him to ride dragons and Tyrion convinces Dany to give the sword to Snow which ushers in the final battle scene showing Snow wielding said sword on his new dragon while butcher-roasting the undead army with Bran somehow mind controlling the other two cause why not. Dany is hot for John and they get married and restructure the empire to let the remaining leaders rule their respected areas in peace (strict no slaves rule though) then as a single flower emerges from the soil letting us know that springtime has arrived The End.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bobo the Red posted:

And remember his great defeat came the one time he explicitly ignored her and left her at home

Seriously, I feel like people are misunderstanding just how bought in to Melisandrism Stannis is.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

YANSEE posted:

Guys wait I think we're speculating too much on futile characters who will have no true impact when the impending doom crosses The Wall.

When Dany shows up to Westros Jon Snow tells her about the incoming Nights King and the White Walkers weakness towards Valaryian steel so she takes a look at the Iron Throne (which the Targ's crafted from all the Valaryian swords of conquered kings) and promptly had it melted down into a Final Fantasy like super sword which effectively breaks the Wheel. In the meantime Jon Snow realizes his Targ blood allows him to ride dragons and Tyrion convinces Dany to give the sword to Snow which ushers in the final battle scene showing Snow wielding said sword on his new dragon while butcher-roasting the undead army with Bran somehow mind controlling the other two cause why not. Dany is hot for John and they get married and restructure the empire to let the remaining leaders rule their respected areas in peace (strict no slaves rule though) then as a single flower emerges from the soil letting us know that springtime has arrived The End.

Lol no she is going to go mad fom greyscale and hes's gonna get stabbed in his bed by potato kid

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about Westeros, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about Stannis Baratheon, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about Westeros' future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Stannis Baratheon. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----
Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. He killed his child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Stannis Baratheon. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about the Lord of Light and the bastards worshipping him, you could always count Stannis Baratheon as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could count to be a true professional who honored the kingdom he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to Westeros without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he saw war as a means to an end. He was in it for the throne. He was dedicated to being the best king he could be, and it showed.

I wanted to be a king since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in Flea Bottom when I finally admitted to myself that coming to King's Landing to be a knight had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not strong or wise enough to be a king was one of the worst moments of my life. The war glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Stannis Baratheon in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be King of Westeros. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a first line heir. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest kings in history. By 50 years-old.

Stannis Baratheon was only fifty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the kingdom could end his child's life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Robb, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their place in the kingdom, and that that same man could burn his child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Selyse, and not for their child.

Stannis Baratheon owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Sunday nights are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And I don't know how to accept that.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

hiddenmovement posted:

Lol no she is going to go mad fom greyscale and hes's gonna get stabbed in his bed by potato kid

Who will nod in approval?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah, that's how it would end if Game of Thrones wasn't Everything Is Terrible Forever: The Show

e:

paperchaseguy posted:

I was trying to go to sleep a few minutes ago and for some reason the enormity of these events finally hit me and I couldn't stop crying. I have no real life friends who give a poo poo about Westeros, so this is basically the only place I have to express these feelings, but I really feel the need to express them.

I would like this thread to be about our personal feelings about Stannis Baratheon, and how it has personally affected us. Just TV-IVing about the details as they come in, or wondering about Westeros' future, and all of that bullshit has no place here. I need to write about my feelings about Stannis Baratheon. Obviously these posts will be mocked elsewhere on the forums, but gently caress em. If you feel the need to say anything, say it.

-----
Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. He killed his child. We will probably never know exactly what he was thinking. Obviously I did not know Stannis Baratheon. I never saw him in person and never spoke to him. But he represented something very special to me. In such a cut-throat, dirty, dark, often disgusting, business he was one of the good ones. When people talked poo poo about the Lord of Light and the bastards worshipping him, you could always count Stannis Baratheon as the exception to the rule. He was the one you could count to be a true professional who honored the kingdom he loved, who was passionate about it, who proved that you could dedicate your life to Westeros without being insane or scum or a monster. He was the ace in the hole. He was the one who wasn't in it for the pussy or because he was a failed jock or because he wanted to get rich quick or because he saw war as a means to an end. He was in it for the throne. He was dedicated to being the best king he could be, and it showed.

I wanted to be a king since I was a little kid, and one of the very worst moments of my life was a cold night in Flea Bottom when I finally admitted to myself that coming to King's Landing to be a knight had been a mistake. Coming to grips that I was simply not strong or wise enough to be a king was one of the worst moments of my life. The war glorifies the boyhood dreams that come true. My boyhood dream wasn't going to come true, and it was an upsetting, soul-crushing revelation that upsets and discourages me to this day.

Since then I lived vicariously through Stannis Baratheon in a lot of ways. He wasn't a man who was destined to be King of Westeros. He couldn't talk. He wasn't charismatic in the usual way. He was quiet. He was short. The only thing he had going for him was his work ethic. He wasn't a first line heir. He wasn't physically gifted. He wasn't someone who had words come easy to him. But through sheer effort he was able to become one of the greatest kings in history. By 50 years-old.

Stannis Baratheon was only fifty, and he was already a legend on the verge of myth. That's how talented he was, and how respected.

I cannot reconcile in my mind that the man who unnecessarily gave back so much to the kingdom could end his child's life the way he did. I can't understand how a man could spend weeks and months trying to give back to younger guys like Robb, putting forth the care and effort to help them find their place in the kingdom, and that that same man could burn his child only weeks later. It doesn't make sense. It shouldn't have happened this way. Not for him, not for Selyse, and not for their child.

Stannis Baratheon owed me nothing. But I still feel the loss. I selfishly lived through many of his accomplishments and now feel lost. I can only speak for myself, but I feel that for a lot of us Sunday nights are rocks of stability in a storm of stress and uncertainty. Every week the show goes on. Every week the show is from somewhere new, somewhere in the world, but every week it comes into our homes.

And that will continue. But Stannis Baratheon is a murderer. And whether it be insanity, drugs, or just the actions of a clear-eyed monster, what is done is done. And one of the pillars for the guys backstage and one of the pillars for fans is gone. And everything that pillar held up is tainted and dripping with blood.

:stare:

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 8, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

But they're going to the safest place in the world, King's Landing!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

paperchaseguy posted:

-----

Where's this from.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

paperchaseguy posted:

I googled some of this, hoping you were copy/pasting it

You should have seen this poo poo coming, Stannis has been an evil bastard since forever

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

paperchaseguy posted:

-----

Yeah but he can still pull of a piledriver like it ain't no thing.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Source your quotes

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Xealot posted:

I'll admit that I was confused as to how competent the Sand Snakes were supposed to be. They were introduced as some sort of real threat, in that (hideously staged) scene on the beach. But every subsequent appearance has been pretty consistent with the idea they're terrible, and that their ring leader is a moron.

The beach scene is about how dangerous they are. As in: to themselves and everyone around them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

paperchaseguy posted:

:perfect:

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

zoux posted:

Seriously, I feel like people are misunderstanding just how bought in to Melisandrism Stannis is.

I actually think he's been conflicted for a long time: he knows, and has known, that Melisandre's poo poo works. But he hates it; it makes him violate his ethics over and over. He can resist her when he's in positions of strength: right before the Blackwater (where he had a good chance of winning) and right after he got his new troops and cleaned up the wildlings easily. But when poo poo gets desperate, he gives in, because he needs to win. Just completely and absolutely needs to win.

That's why he gave in and killed Renly. That's why he was willing to burn Gendry. That's why he killed Shireen. He has no choice but to do what must be done. Because he belongs on the Iron Throne, and everything else be damned

Now, will the snows will melt and the North will be his, and the angels have been cast from his shoulders. Now he has nothing left to lose by going for Mel whole hog

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 8, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

This is the greatest post in the history of the forums.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Maarak posted:

The beach scene is about how dangerous they are. As in: to themselves and everyone around them.

I just want Bronn to hook up with that one chick for a while so we can see ~dem titties~ a few more times

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
I believe someone posted that about a wrassler who murdered his wife and son before killing himself some years back.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Who the hell is taking care of the Stormlands now that Renley is dead and Stannis is using his children as a heat source?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
Guy sacrifices his daughter for the good of the realm and you guys think he's evil? Wtf, she even said she wanted to help.

Do you guys hate God for sacrificing his only son, Jesus Christ?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Hexel posted:

Probably raped first and then dead :ohdear:

Then turned into zombies and raped again.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

ProfessorBooty posted:

Who the hell is taking care of the Stormlands now that Renley is dead and Stannis is using his children as a heat source?

I think after his defeat at Blackwater, most of the Stotmlands likely wound up in Joffrey's control. Which makes sense, since he was the actual Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. At this point, Myrcella would probably be the one who gets them (the king usually passes off his lesser titles)

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WastedJoker posted:

I agree with you a little but would like to add that I thought that scene showed us that, for all of Selsye's devout faith in the One God, her will/faith wasn't strong enough to stomach something that needed to be done

Well there is a difference between knowing how to win, and deciding that winning is not worth the cost.

Not worth the cost to mom. Worth it to dad. gently caress you, dad.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!

paperchaseguy posted:

-----

:golfclap:

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Pander posted:

Gangrene? Maybe you mean frostbite?

Left untreated, frostbite leads to gangrene. I was skipping a step.

Either way, gently caress Westeros, I hope they all loving freeze.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I hope Myrcella's found out and slaughtered, potentially by her own boyfriend.

She hasn't really done anything yet, but still.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Shireen's sacrifice is going to put too much fire god mojo in the northern air, and accidentally melt a hole in The Wall.

Maarek posted:

I believe someone posted that about a wrassler who murdered his wife and son before killing himself some years back.
Stannis was Chris Benoit all along.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

"I called for every Maester and healer in the realm, I am at this point a seasoned military veteran who was instrumental in Robert's Rebellion and won some of the hardest, certain-defeat battles in that entire war. With no help from any Red Priestess, entirely through my own grit, determination and skill. I still loved you so much a traveling huckster I immediately recognized as such was selling a snake oil doll in an emotionally manipulative manner which I 'OF COURSE' bought and didn't have the guy killed."

A few episodes later -

"This woman who has done literally nothing miraculous except create a demon spawn with my life essence in order for me to murder my last surviving brother and be a kinslayer and who has never demonstrated any other ability except vague prophecies that have only marginally come true through a want-to-believe filter told me burning my only child who is probably the only thing I ACTUALLY care about in the entire world on an emotional non-duty, non-power, non-sexual level has given me the most mind-bogglingly convincing speech of all time that we won't even hint at because the writers couldn't possibly pen it plausibly is the only way to magically replenish my exceptionally critical food stores and also reconstruct hundreds of tons of wooden siege equipment. LETS DO THIS poo poo, SORRY HONEY ITS FOR THE GOOD OF THE REALM. I will also send Davos away despite knowing I'm going to lose him one way or another with this decision because he has only presented me with logically sound arguments every time he has ever convinced me of anything in the entire time we've known each other."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Justin Credible posted:

"I called for every Maester and healer in the realm, I am at this point a seasoned military veteran who was instrumental in Robert's Rebellion and won some of the hardest, certain-defeat battles in that entire war. With no help from any Red Priestess, entirely through my own grit, determination and skill. I still loved you so much a traveling huckster I immediately recognized as such was selling a snake oil doll in an emotionally manipulative manner which I 'OF COURSE' bought and didn't have the guy killed."

A few episodes later -

"This woman who has done literally nothing miraculous except create a demon spawn with my life essence in order for me to murder my last surviving brother and be a kinslayer and who has never demonstrated any other ability except vague prophecies that have only marginally come true through a want-to-believe filter told me burning my only child who is probably the only thing I ACTUALLY care about in the entire world on an emotional non-duty, non-power, non-sexual level has given me the most mind-bogglingly convincing speech of all time that we won't even hint at because the writers couldn't possibly pen it plausibly is the only way to magically replenish my exceptionally critical food stores and also reconstruct hundreds of tons of wooden siege equipment. LETS DO THIS poo poo, SORRY HONEY ITS FOR THE GOOD OF THE REALM. I will also send Davos away despite knowing I'm going to lose him one way or another with this decision because he has only presented me with logically sound arguments every time he has ever convinced me of anything in the entire time we've known each other."

You want me to post that youtube at you in here too?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Bobo the Red posted:

I think after his defeat at Blackwater, most of the Stotmlands likely wound up in Joffrey's control. Which makes sense, since he was the actual Lord Paramount of the Stormlands. At this point, Myrcella would probably be the one who gets them (the king usually passes off his lesser titles)

That makes sense. I'm not a pro at Westeros geography, but it seems like he would have been better off taking advantage of the Stormlands at some point. But from a writing standpoint and a TV narrative standpoint if he would end up in the same place it would probably be better just to pretend the place doesn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Justin Credible posted:

A few episodes later -

"It will ALL be worth it." -- Melisandre

:getin:

• Locked thread