Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Ryuushika Ryuushika, there's a new chapter out!

Finally, the exciting conclusion to the thrilling UFO arc! Oh man, Yuuho was right all along! I knew it!

Also, anyone who's read Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru (the one with all the surreal stuff going on in a coastal town) should check out Ringo Chimoguri and the Fishbowl Headed Man. It's a surreal mystery where a man in a suit with a fishbowl for a head has been going around killing people by drinking their blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Ryuushika Ryuushika, there's a new chapter out!

Finally, the exciting conclusion to the thrilling UFO arc! Oh man, Yuuho was right all along! I knew it!

Also, anyone who's read Daidai wa, Hantoumei ni Nidonesuru (the one with all the surreal stuff going on in a coastal town) should check out Ringo Chimoguri and the Fishbowl Headed Man. It's a surreal mystery where a man in a suit with a fishbowl for a head has been going around killing people by drinking their blood.

Love it. I think Centaur's Life is throwing me off, though, as I fully expected the cliffhanger from last chapter to not be addressed at all.

I read several chapters of Fishbowl a while back and recall enjoying it. Apparently it's finished, so I'll definitely be rereading and finishing it. Thanks for the reminder!

coathat
May 21, 2007

It's not really finished. The magazine it was in shut down but it started up in another one a little while ago. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shin-chimoguri-ringo-to-kingyobachi-otoko-r13842

Also it's time for more Hana to Alice
http://bato.to/read/_/322889/hana-to-alice-douman-seiman_v1_ch6_by_seiai

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its not finished. it got cancelled because the magazine it is in shutdown. it however got a currently running followup in another magazine

edit: loving hell coathat, at least im the guy who found the followup!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Oh, cool. Well, then I'll just reread and catch up.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

coathat posted:

It's not really finished. The magazine it was in shut down but it started up in another one a little while ago. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/shin-chimoguri-ringo-to-kingyobachi-otoko-r13842

Also it's time for more Hana to Alice
http://bato.to/read/_/322889/hana-to-alice-douman-seiman_v1_ch6_by_seiai

Im glad we can rely on Douman to shine a light on the real struggles of half-humans.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Oh there was a dowman oneshot too. http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/worlds-end-sabotage-r15447

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Dowman Sayman is one weird motherfucker. He's great.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Just a quick tidbit on that title, "World's End Sabotage" (that's the actual title, too, not a translation): the Japanese verb for "to cut class/slack off" is actually a loan word version of the French/English word "sabotage".

That may shed a little light on why he named it that, for anyone who was curious.

In unrelated news, chapter 2 is out for Sekitsui House/Spine House, in which the second of the three shopkeepers ("shopkeepers") is introduced.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

In unrelated news, chapter 2 is out for Sekitsui House/Spine House, in which the second of the three shopkeepers ("shopkeepers") is introduced.

Hey! We can't post about that manga, remember?? Coathat said it was bad!

Hahaha! "Wooden Laser: A Laser made of wood". I love the humor style, it's so random.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 26, 2015

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

z0glin Warchief posted:

This is the most bizarre thing :psyduck:

coathat
May 21, 2007

Good news! More Donyatsu is coming Monday courtesy of Crunchyroll. http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/05/29/crunchyroll-manga-adds-four-new-square-enix-titles

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Desperation Crosspost, because the last season thread is about to be sent to the glue factory:

Jostiband posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know whether there are any plans to publish Ryushika Ryushika for baka gaijin?
It's a really pretty comic and I'd kind of like to be able to browse through it. :(

Edit: And by that, I mean in english.
If there's nothing coming out, I'll probably break down and get my hands on the french stuff instead.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing the other day. Unfortunately, I know of no plans for Ryuushika to get an English release. Unfortunate, since it's lovely and in color. Also -- fantastic news about Donyatsu getting officially licensed by Crunchyroll. I've admittedly lost track of the story at this point, but I think that scanlators dropped it.

The latest chapter of Girls Group No. 7 is about recycling.... I think. :stare:

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

I just found out that series (No. 7) is at 8 volumes and counting (with translations on volume 3). For some reason I thought it was already over! What a time to be alive.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

z0glin Warchief posted:

I just found out that series (No. 7) is at 8 volumes and counting (with translations on volume 3). For some reason I thought it was already over! What a time to be alive.

Ohh! What a day! What a lovely day!!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Ohh! What a day! What a lovely day!!

:perfect:

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

z0glin Warchief posted:

Indeed, indeed :allears: No. 7 is really one of the most gourgeuos embodiments of this thread's topic (rivaled only by Douman Seiman). Also, I personally have the impression that it parodies the old friendship-above-everything trope in an extremely interesting manner, with its concept of an officially-assigned BFF and the protagonists' close, but sometimes not really particularly heartfelt relationship. Now to hope that the translators will pick up the pace a bit.

By the way, will there be a new Top 5 vote any time soon? There's certainly enough candidates.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

By the way, will there be a new Top 5 vote any time soon? There's certainly enough candidates.

Hey, sure! In fact, why don't we make a new thread once we do? This one's gone for something like 3 years now, and it's a bit long in the tooth! So let's vote our new Top 5's and I'll put descriptions and images in the new thread!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

The latest chapter of Girls Group No. 7 is about recycling.... I think. :stare:

What a good moral.... I think. :catstare:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Perhaps for the next thread, a selection of ongoing and completed SDL manga might be a good idea? I like the idea of giving new folk a few series to binge on and also an idea of what the cool kids are still reading. Perhaps 3 of each?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

In that case, make it two separate posts for easier upkeep imho.

Not sure three's going to cut it though. There was enough nail biting and hair tearing to jam the current list into the OP and that was after a few thread favourites spread their beautiful surreal wings and got their own threads. The Seyman megathread lasted a few months before dying of a tragic case of slow releases and now all his stuff is back up for voting in this thread for example. At least the Hinamatsuri one got saved from the archives by some timely application of The Curse of Hitomi, so that's good at least v:shobon:v

The Surreal Comicbook Industrial Complex hasn't exactly been sitting on its rear end the past few years either and there's a lot of good stuff coming out. Pretty sure the first few pages will be filled with goons loudly shouting about everything that didn't make it into the OP anyway, so might as well get some more of the usual suspects out of the way for reference purposes. :v:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Having 5 completed and 5 ongoing seems like a great idea. My concern, however, is that the "completed" list will be quite a bit shorter than the "ongoing" one, since SDL manga seem to be the "obscure but good" type that tends to get dropped easily.

My personal list:

Ongoing
  • Girls' Group No. 7 (Ongoing)
  • My Neighbor Seki-kun (Ongoing - sporadic??)
  • Ryuushika-Ryuushika (Ongoing)
  • Centaur's Worries (Ongoing - Licensed!)
  • Zai X 10 (ongoing)

Completed
  • Sumire-16 Sai!
  • The Legend of an Angel (Angel Densetsu)
  • Voynich Hotel
  • Ringo Chimoguri and the Fishbowl Headed Man.
  • Ketchup Ninja

Oh guys, I looked back a couple pages and saw something Capt. Invictus posted but had been glossed over a bit. It's Undying Happiness and it's about a girl who goes out to the country to visit her boyfriend, who has a strange power...

:yohoho:

It's a webcomic that originally was written in Japanese but whose creator has also made available on English, so you should check it out!

EDIT: Oh, we'll also need a new thread title as well!!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Oh guys, I looked back a couple pages and saw something Capt. Invictus posted but had been glossed over a bit. It's Undying Happiness and it's about a girl who goes out to the country to visit her boyfriend, who has a strange power...

This is great. I'd seen the one-shot somewhere before, but I didn't know that there was a new continuation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrSunshine posted:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Undying Happiness is amazing so far. Holy crap.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Kumamiko! :3:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cooking is hard when you do not have opposable thumbs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I kept waiting for him to use his claws to slice the daikon! Stupid Natsu, why don't you use your bear claws??!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

My Pet Demon King!

If there aren't any votes for the OP's top manga, I'll just put in whatever fits my whims! Same for the title!

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Well, if you'll accept votes from a forum lurker like me...

1. Sumire 16-sai!!
2. My Neighbour Seki (Tonari no Seki-kun)
3. Teasing Master Takagi-san (Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san)
4. Kuro
5. Ryuushika Ryuushika

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I'm really bad at remembering names, so my list is delayed while I try to google stuff like "that one manga with the talking bear and then stuff happens and there's these things you know". :downs:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I'll put together my list in a bit, but you generally have good taste, Doc, so I'm also OK with you being the Surreal Despot.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

My Pet Demon King!

If there aren't any votes for the OP's top manga, I'll just put in whatever fits my whims! Same for the title!

For the ongoing ones, I mostly agree with the list you posted earlier, but would replace Zai X 10 with Asano's Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction. I haven't read enough to make a list for completed ones, but as long as a Douman Seiman manga is included, everything is fine.

Concerning the title:
Waiter, there's a centaur in my slice of life! Surreal Daily Life Mangas

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Carpator Diei posted:

Waiter, there's a centaur in my slice of life! Surreal Daily Life Mangas

Oh my god... this is excellent.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Having just read it, I feel like the reason Centaur Worries is so surreal is that it opens with a centaur girl worrying about her centaur vagina so her and her non centaur friends compare vaginas together all because some random guy just confessed to her like an hour ago and they might end up having sex one day. It was one of the more wtf is happening things I've read from this thread.

And then it turns into a mostly normal manga.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What kind of manga have you been reading that the rest of Centaur's Worries is 'mostly normal'?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Pretty much everything in this thread.

edit: Except for the medieval arc, it's pretty much just kids going to school and poo poo, they just happen to be mythological creatures.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Please put Takagi-san in the new op, just so everyone can read it and then lament the lack of recent updates

• Locked thread