Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, those look like the Prometheus suits. Wouldn't be the first time a big sci-fi movie had its props reused, lots of Starship Troopers stuff shows up in Firefly iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, oooorrrrr...

It's a prequel to a prequel! :haw:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Yeah, those look like the Prometheus suits. Wouldn't be the first time a big sci-fi movie had its props reused, lots of Starship Troopers stuff shows up in Firefly iirc.

I mean most of that suit is obviously new. The chest plate and pads and overall silhouette are similar but obviously not the same pieces, and the jumpsuit itself is completely different. The helmet itself could have used to the glass from the Prometheus helmets with modifications though. Be surprised that wasn't the case, since as I recall they were slightly expensive to manufacture.

Aside from the glass though, I think it's just a case of Ridley and his production designer liking the aesthetic and sticking to it for the new props.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It looks like they just repainted the Prometheus suits and added greebles to me.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

LORD OF BUTT posted:

It looks like they just repainted the Prometheus suits and added greebles to me.

Look at the shape of the pads and chestpiece, as well as the fit and material of the jumpsuit. They're definitely new constructions, though conceptually an iteration on the Prometheus suit. That helmet has got to be the same prop with some doodads stuck inside and some lights outside though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Yeah, oooorrrrr...

It's a prequel to a prequel! :haw:

It could be a shared universe with Prometheus so that the suits are from the same manufacturer, just a different model. Idk, but it looks pretty good, recycled costuming or not.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 8, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Here's the trailer for Matt Damon: Martian Maroon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4PCI0NamI

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Will Mad Max trailer music supersede Inception horn?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Haha, beaten by MERE seconds! you beautiful filthy goon, you

The MSJ posted:

Is that some Junkie XL for the trailer music? Is the reign of Zimmer behind us?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Knowing nothing about the book I hope that trailer didn't spoil anything for me.

Looks pretty good. I like a good space movie.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Indolent Bastard posted:

Knowing nothing about the book I hope that trailer didn't spoil anything for me.

The book was alright. From the look of the trailer, though, it feels like there's going to be a higher concentration of scenes from the Earth-NASA side than were actually present in the book (there weren't a lot). Which is a shame, because those scenes were atrocious compared to the parts told from Watney's perspective.

That cast though, holy poo poo

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So Matt Damon is basically playing the good version of his character from Interstellar?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MeinPanzer posted:

So Matt Damon is basically playing the good version of his character from Interstellar?

The character in the book is a nerdy manchild which I admit would be fun to see Damon play. As for the book itself it's not particularly well written but entertaining enough especially for the more scientific/engineering aspects. Chiwetel Eijiofor is playing an Indian character for some reason though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Chiwetel Eijiofor wants to play a character in our movie but that character is the wrong race so we're going to have to tell him no, said nobody ever.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

I really enjoyed "The Martian" so am looking forward to the movie. The trailer did not disappoint, looks great. I also don't think it spoiled a whole lot. Him being stranded on Mars is the whole point of the story.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Trailer didn't have nearly enough Disco.

EDIT: Actually going to spoiler tag that. I really hope they don't reveal anything about that whole plot point.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 8, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rougey posted:

Trailer didn't have nearly enough Disco.

EDIT: Actually going to spoiler tag that. I really hope they don't reveal anything about that whole plot point.

The meet the crew video mentioned that so its still in there.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The meet the crew video mentioned that so its still in there.
Yep, giggle a little at it - if they didn't have it I'd be very disappointed.

Best line in the book.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pierogi posted:

Will Mad Max trailer music supersede Inception horn?
Probably. Still dope it finally exists.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QPH4B6Qszw

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How about more than Clint Mansell Lux Aeterna?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Harminoff posted:

How about more than Clint Mansell Lux Aeterna?

Please no?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Harminoff posted:

Not a trailer but a clip for Final Girls. What a cast, though I don't really understand what this movie is about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVd_0IfUbqQ

This looks really good. Self-aware but not so self-aware that it become a parody of itself.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbd_s-486vQ

Mockingjay Part 2

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

This series has the largest disparity between the film and book since Forrest Gump.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

This series has the largest disparity between the film and book since Forrest Gump.

Was there really fake looking CGI water in the books?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sorry, I should've said quality disparity.

Also I don't really see the issue with the water, assuming you mean at the dam.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Sorry, I should've said quality disparity.

Also I don't really see the issue with the water, assuming you mean at the dam.

Director: "OK in this scene you are running away from a tidal wave of water, so act accordingly."
Actors: *Trot away at a medium pace while looking bored.*

The water looks fakey and the fact that the actors are reacting to nothing really shows.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Never trust the CGI in a trailer to be indicative of what the final film will have. Almost always it is finished for the trailer before everything else and can often change for the better.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

kiimo posted:

Never trust the CGI in a trailer to be indicative of what the final film will have. Almost always it is finished for the trailer before everything else and can often change for the better.

Now they just need to CGI some terror on their faces :geno:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Yeah, it's not the CG that's a problem, it's the people trotting away with the urgency of a morning stroll.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Indolent Bastard posted:

yes, it was a weird killer liquidy tar thing

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Trailer for Regression starring Ethan Hawke and Emma Watson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATTjUtqdJfU

Seems like a pretty standard thriller, but maybe it goes completely off the rails in its 2nd or 3rd act. Ethan Hawke makes for a pretty solid detective who is in over his head.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wendell posted:

Yeah, it's not the CG that's a problem, it's the people trotting away with the urgency of a morning stroll.

Yeah, they probably should have a wall of greenscreened extras with mattress shields rushing them to get a "oh gently caress, get away get away" reaction as a fill in for the effect. Also, some that fast and large has a hell of an air displacement.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Seems like a pretty standard thriller, but maybe it goes completely off the rails in its 2nd or 3rd act. Ethan Hawke makes for a pretty solid detective who is in over his head.

David Thewlis is the best, even when uncredited.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

GrandpaPants posted:

they are going to summon cthulhu

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

second-hand smegma posted:

David Thewlis is the best, even when uncredited.
He'll always be the Butcher of Mayfair for me. :smugdog:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

He used to be a werewolf, but he's all right noOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Lance Armstrong Movie

THE PROGRAM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMTPvXtvkZU

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

The MSJ posted:

Thanks for spoilering the whole loving movie, trailer guys.

Also, "science the gently caress out of this"? This looks like a recast of Interstellar with a retard for director.

Kawabata fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Kawabata posted:

Thanks for spoilering the whole loving movies, trailer guys.

Also, "science the gently caress out of this"? This looks like a recast of Interstellar with a retard for director.

Having just started the book... that's how he talks in the book (which is told journal style).

• Locked thread