Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rarity posted:

Dude we knew this years ago

IRQ :3::hf::3:

e: 3rd Rock From The Sun got added to Netflix so I'm giving it a rewatch. It's still SO GOOD!

I think it's better than you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

I think it's better than you think it is.

Dude there's no way cause I think it's the tits come at me bro

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Is it good enough to bring back like TV's Coach?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Well, considering that Sally's a degenerate alcoholic, JGL is a big shot movie star and Wayne Knight is dead, I wouldn't expect a reunion season anytime soon.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Wayne Knight isn't dead.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Another show that did a rape plot without it being capital-S lovely: Banshee. In episode 3 of the first season, The rapist then gets tortured to death offscreen by the big bad's right hand man.

That's not actually what happens though, it's the manager who gets tortured to death by the right hand man, for not giving them back the money they fronted for the fight. The rapist is presumably still in the hospital/jail

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

Dudes beating up rapists isn't terribly progressive or a terribly "good" handling of a rape story. In my opinion anyway, this is such a fraught topic, that's why I'm agin' rape.

Yeah, to be more specific, the problem is that such plots carry an inherent implication that only men can avenge women who are raped or otherwise assaulted by other men. And that wouldn't be so bad if this stuff wasn't ALL OVER the first season of Banshee; it's not just those two episodes. Just about every criminal that Lucas Hood takes on in the first season is guilty of some form of sexual assault. Drug dealer in episode 2? Molests Carrie's 13-yo daughter, and is eaten by a dog sicced on him by Kai Proctor. We covered episode 3. A member of the biker gang in episode 5 tries to rape Carrie -- a female officer, Siobhan, steps in and kills him. But when that gang burns down Siobhan's home in retaliation, it's Lucas who ambushes them in the middle of the night and drags them all back to a city where they have outstanding warrants. But the best was in episode 7, where two men rob a convenience store, kill its clerk, leads an officer through a dangerous car chase that ends at the high school, and take a group of kids serving Saturday detention hostage. And because apparently that wasn't bad enough, one of the kidnappers gropes the teacher supervising detention. Of course Lucas is the one that shoots his rear end dead. And on top of all that, when The Albino tries to rape Lucas in episode six, he bites the guy's dick off and ultimately beats him to death. I don't want to sound like I'm crusading against the show -- I loving love it, it's one of my favorites on the air and I can't wait for the 4th season in January. You don't watch Banshee for a good feminism polemic, you watch it because it's the 21st century successor to Road House and it kicks a wide assortment of rear end. But if you're gonna look at it in a fair light, it's what the word "problematic" was created for: The stories of that first season subtly reinforce the unfortunate social myth that women are dependent on men for protection.

And in fairness, without any pressure from social media or the press, I think the writers came to realize this was an issue too: That lady cop, Siobhan? Early in the second season, her abusive ex-husband shows up. There's an incident, and Hood asks her where the prick is staying so he can teach him some manners. Siobhan reluctantly gives him an address, and you think you're about to see Hood disfigure yet another rat-gently caress woman beater...except he opens the door to an empty hotel room, and the next scene is Siobhan walking into her ex's room, triggering a legit hand-to-hand slugfest that could stand with the other amazing fights that are on the show. Some might argue that there are still issues here (see: that terrible J. Lo movie Enough), and a handful of others might suggest that Banshee still has issues going forward. But from that point on, rape/revenge was never a factor in any Banshee story.

As far as the larger conversation, as a writer I can't operate under the mindset that some topics are off limits. I have to believe that anything can make for a good, interesting story as long as you approach it at a good angle. But I agree that when you're dealing with subjects as loaded as sexual assault, you either come correct or don't come at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I"m watching Shameless for the first time and I'm of the opinion Carl is the best and this Debbie discovering boys story is giving me anxiety. Those girls are a bad influence on you Debbie!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

I"m watching Shameless for the first time and I'm of the opinion Carl is the best and this Debbie discovering boys story is giving me anxiety. Those girls are a bad influence on you Debbie!

You're starting from Season 4?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DivisionPost posted:

You're starting from Season 4?

No, that's just how far I am.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Party Plane Jones posted:

That's not actually what happens though, it's the manager who gets tortured to death by the right hand man, for not giving them back the money they fronted for the fight. The rapist is presumably still in the hospital/jail

poo poo, I misunderstood the scene then, my bad. Yeah, that actually makes it a little worse, since it is just Hood avenging it instead of pretty much the universe as a whole just deciding "gently caress this guy."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

zoux posted:

No, that's just how far I am.

That's about where I fell off but not by any fault of the show. I will get back on at some point, but for now I'm just gonna say that my celebrity crush on Emmy Rossum rivals even Kyle Chandler.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
In other news Amazon put up the next three episodes of Unreal and Jesus Christ the second episode is BRUTAL.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Dude we knew this years ago

IRQ :3::hf::3:

That guy clearly reg'd after I had a pony avatar for like 2 years. :v:

Although I am not and have never identified as one of those people.

An Ounce of Gold posted:

No, because that shouldn't be getting brought back either. Nor should Full House. I'd be ok if they brought back Family Matters though. After it got insane and Urkel could travel through time and poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay wait, in Banshee with the Albino he uses the razor blade to castrate him. Where did you get biting from?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

zoux posted:

Carl is pretty funny but Lip is the best.

And poor Debbie. She's a product of her environment, and that environment is poo poo.

Shameless is so good.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

Okay wait, in Banshee with the Albino he uses the razor blade to castrate him. Where did you get biting from?

poo poo, you're right! I think I need to see a therapist or something, but good memory.

Guys, seriously, Unreal is intense. However tired the "Reality TV is bullshit" angle might sound to you, the characters are complex individuals, and the situation they've built in four episodes is impressively hosed. You have to check this out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hcreight posted:

Want to see an alternate universe vampire Batman take on an even more deranged than usual Harley Quinn? Who am I kidding, of course you do.

Made by Bruce Timm, no less. :nws:, it's pretty gory.

This is bad and you should be ashamed for spreading it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aphrodite posted:

It's just been a while and I forgot the mechanics of how he got dick-snipped.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

hcreight posted:

Want to see an alternate universe vampire Batman take on an even more deranged than usual Harley Quinn? Who am I kidding, of course you do.

Reminder that Bruce Timm said that his last cartoon show failed because it was too popular with girls.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
To be fair it's not like poo poo getting cancelled for being popular in the "wrong demographic" is an unheard of phenomenon.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Deadpool posted:

This is bad and you should be ashamed for spreading it.

And yet I'm not.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

Reminder that Bruce Timm said that his last cartoon show failed because it was too popular with girls.

No he didn't.

In fact he hasn't even had a show since JLU.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's been doing those DTV movies with DC characters, which also haven't really been that great.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Comics are for children.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Deadpool posted:

I don't deal with any Game of Thrones stuff. That's the other guy.

There's another guy who gets all the poo poo jobs? Anime, Dr. Who, GoT, Under the Dome, Star Trek.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

hcreight posted:

Wow, that's pretty hosed up. Is that just a clip from whatever is coming out in July?
And as is the custom with youtube comments, they somehow segued into nerd tears about the popularity of Teen Titans Go.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

Wow, that's pretty hosed up. Is that just a clip from whatever is coming out in July?
And as is the custom with youtube comments, they somehow segued into nerd tears about the popularity of Teen Titans Go.

It's just some short series where Bruce Timm does whatever he wants I guess.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

3rd Rock from the Sun is a good show, but I rewatched it a couple years ago when Netflix had it the first time :smugdog:

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

DivisionPost posted:

Guys, seriously, Unreal is intense. However tired the "Reality TV is bullshit" angle might sound to you, the characters are complex individuals, and the situation they've built in four episodes is impressively hosed. You have to check this out.

Seconding this. I was surprised by this show, I really like it. The producers are doing horrible poo poo to get their storyline, it's pretty dark.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

There's like a dozen people here saying Hemlock Grove is bad, but not a single person saying why its bad.

The storyline for the first season Hemlock Grove doesn't make any sense, and it has a bunch of teenage actors trying to tread through an execrable plot. It is kind of pretty though, I'll give it that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thrakkorzog posted:

The storyline for the first season Hemlock Grove doesn't make any sense, and it has a bunch of teenage actors trying to tread through an execrable plot. It is kind of pretty though, I'll give it that.

Also El Milf Supremo...Famke Janssen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Rocksicles posted:

Also El Milf Supremo...Famke Janssen.

Who is sporting a terrible English accent, while primarily sharing scenes with Englishman Dougray Scott as he puts on a terrible American accent.

Of course, they resolve Famke's accent problem in the second season.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Famke Janssen seemingly gets sexier and sexier as she gets older.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Duke posted:

3rd Rock from the Sun is a good show, but I rewatched it a couple years ago when Netflix had it the first time :smugdog:

I can't think of a single multi-season 90s comedy that really holds up.

- Seinfeld
- Friends
- Fraiser
- Full House
- Home Improvement
- Family Matters
- Fresh Prince
- Married with Children (almost in a different category, but it stumbles more then it excels)

Going from this list
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000208241/

The only ones on the list that I'd really re-watch would be Simpsons, Larry Sanders, and NewsRadio.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seinfeld and Friends both hold up absolutely fine, which is why their syndication rights cost the earth and Hulu just paid through the rear end for all of Seinfeld.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Shows like Full House and Family Matters are targeted at children so of course they can't hold up. They aired on Friday nights.

Oh they also cranked out like 25 episodes a year so 99% of it was garbage back then too.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 9, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

Comics are for children.
Children think comics are stupid.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh they also cranked out like 25 episodes a year so 99% of it was garbage back then too.

What a dumb thing to say. Today's most popular sitcoms still churn out 22-25 episodes a year.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Seinfeld and Friends both hold up absolutely fine, which is why their syndication rights cost the earth and Hulu just paid through the rear end for all of Seinfeld.

Seinfeld suffers a bit when they try to push 90s boundaries that no longer exist, but yeah, the meat of the show still holds up spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Children think comics are stupid.

I don't know who comics are for, then. Maybe they're for no one.

• Locked thread