Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I can reorder playlists in the Windows client. However, one must remember to first deactivate any kind of column sorting first. No idea if it synchronizes with my phone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

thathonkey posted:

On the OSX client you can so i assume so but it is annoying as hell that the ordering you choose there doesnt even save so on my phone all my playlists are in a different order than on my laptop

Yeah I can reorder on the desktop client for Windows as well.

I'm happy they brought back the 'click the album thumbnail and go to track' feature. The lack of that was driving me insane.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I got a free subscription to Google Play Music All Access with a chromebook that lasts until October, so I've been using that a lot coming from Spotify. Overall, I like it better as I seem to find more fleshed out discographies for certain older bands, but there are so many stupid things about it, thought I'd share my personal pros and cons versus Spotify premium.

Pros:
- noticeably better/larger library in my experience so far (~2 months vs 3-4 years w/ spotify)
- uploading local files is really easy and compatible between machines, plus the limit is like 50000 songs
- note: this is not the limit of your 'my library' thing, basically just the limit to the number of songs you want in 'my library' that you can't find through search
- the whole 'my library' thing is nice overall for browsing artists you know you want quick access to whenever you want with whatever device
- the radio stuff is weird, but it gives you different options all the time which really helps add variety at least to the interface. the 'i'm feeling lucky' radio is great when it plays the one kind of music that you're in the mood for at that time
- way fewer live versions of songs coming on when using radio functions, which is really really great because that always annoyed the poo poo out of me, and it feels like it grabs more songs from albums proper rather than from singles or compilations, but there's still a lot of that

Cons:
- the whole interface is so big and dumb and bright and poorly optimized for smaller windows or lower resolutions and wastes tons of space, gently caress

- 'my library' local tracks and tracks added through search/browser become duplicates on my phone (nexus 6) if I'd already stored those songs on my phone's physical storage, although I imagine this will be fixed at some point

- holy making GBS threads gently caress there is no order to the list of albums when you browse an artist's 'all albums' page. Sometimes they're sorted by year, sometimes the singles are last, but mostly there is no order to them whatsoever. I feel kind of insane when I look at an artist with a ton of albums and I have to ctrl+f to find what I'm looking for. It seriously doesn't make any sense and I cannot figure out how the list is populated. Looking at The Residents' 55 albums, for example, at first looks like it goes backwards chronologically except it doesn't do that for the whole list and things just start getting mixed up and by the end of it their second studio album is the very last album listed, and it's not the oldest dated album either. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and it's the only thing that I feel Spotify does hands down better than Google (sorting albums reverse chronologically, then completely separating singles, then listing compilations at the bottom). This is the worst thing in my opinion and I can only imagine it will get fixed at some point. You can't manually sort the all albums view any way, either.

- I miss hitting the play button in album view on Spotify and the client then playing the next several albums in reverse chronological order :(

- the 'I'm feeling lucky' radio was weirdly advertised. It just plays some artist's radio that you've already listened to, then only plays that kind of music. Makes sense for a 'radio' but it would be nice if it was more like a big shuffle button for things you've listened to, things you've thumbed up, etc like it sounded like it was going to do based on the description of its function. This radio is also not in the radio section, it's in the 'listen now' section only because that makes sense

- no discrete windows app yet

- no native last.fm support, but it's trivially easy to just get an extension to scrobble for you so that doesn't really matter

- "Google Play Music All Access" is such a stupid name when you want to google things about it to try to make it better

Overall, it's been underwhelming but still better than Spotify if only slightly and at the cost of some seriously dumb bullshit that might only bother me. If you're married to the starred playlist thing (I don't think I ever used it) and you don't care about Spotify's social whatever, then I'd recommend trying it I suppose, especially if you want to fill in some gaps with your own music that you can't find through search. I wish I could provide a glowing endorsement, but it's extremely frustrating that the two best (paid) services for this kind of thing are so fundamentally flawed, yet totally different, and neither one is clearly better than the other at just streaming some goddamn music with a not garbage interface. If nothing's changed for the better by either Google or Spotify by October, then I'll probably stick with Google because it is just ever so slightly better for my use.

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america
Apple's new thing is right around the corner and if it's basically iTunes + unlimited music for $10 it will be perfect.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm happy to have my 'click the album cover go to track in playlist' function working again, but many times now its been pointing to incorrect tracks in the playlist.

Other times it doesn't show an album cover at all, leaving zero indication of what is even playing.

GET YOUR loving poo poo TOGETHER, SPOTIFY. You have fierce competition out there. Act like it.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I've been checking out the new Muse album on Spotify and noticed that one track, the 10 minute "The Globalist", actually says "The Globalist - Premium Only". When did Spotify start offering songs only for premium customers? I thought offering the same library for free and premium customers was one of their prime principles?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DominoDancing posted:

I've been checking out the new Muse album on Spotify and noticed that one track, the 10 minute "The Globalist", actually says "The Globalist - Premium Only". When did Spotify start offering songs only for premium customers? I thought offering the same library for free and premium customers was one of their prime principles?

Is this a real thing now? :wtf:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bands that start with "the" are now in the 't' section, if you sort by band name.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PaganGoatPants posted:

Is this a real thing now? :wtf:

It sure looks like it. I've not set up an additional non-premium account to test it though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Free account.

So dumb. It's fine if you do it with bonus tracks, but not when it's a (ten minute!) song that is clearly an essential part of the album.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
It's often with long (10 min+) tracks that they are not even available on Spotify, so as a premium subscriber I welcome this new option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Bands that start with "the" are now in the 't' section, if you sort by band name.

This is so loving annoying.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

DominoDancing posted:

This has been a thing for a while - I think I only remember seeing it for like... some Pearl Jam live albums a few years ago, so I don't think it's actually been used by many artists, but maybe Spotify has been pushing it on the artists a bit more to get more revenue, so it's catching on.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A new challenger has appeared: APPLE MUSIC

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Maybe I've missed something, but is there anything that sets the apple thing apart from their competitors? (From a consumer perspective)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

cebrail posted:

Maybe I've missed something, but is there anything that sets the apple thing apart from their competitors? (From a consumer perspective)

Existing iPhone users.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

That's why I wrote "from a consumer perspective". I know that they could make a bunch of cash from Apple users, but I don't care about that.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

cebrail posted:

Access to entire Itunes music library and the family plan cost (if it works the way it sounds) is very cheap. I don't know much about the other features like Connect and how the radio will differ (also their recommendations Engine).

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

A new challenger has appeared: APPLE MUSIC
Is this US only? and would it include the entire apple library like the Beatles?

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
apple already has tons of itunes customers so they would have a huge leg up on someone like tidal trying to enter the market. also apple already owns beats streaming service.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
For me, switching to Apple Music (when it becomes available for Android) would pretty much depend on one thing: the library. If they ACTUALLY managed to get streaming rights for The Beatles, Peter Gabriel and a lot of the other Spotify holdouts, I might actually be swayed to switch, as much as I would hate to throw more money into Apple's mouth.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If it works and I can get rid of spotify.app I'm all over it.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cebrail posted:

Taylor.

(At least in Spotify's case.)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

PaganGoatPants posted:

Access to entire Itunes music library and the family plan cost (if it works the way it sounds) is very cheap. I don't know much about the other features like Connect and how the radio will differ (also their recommendations Engine).

Did they say the entire iTunes library is available for streaming? I missed that part.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

me your dad posted:

Did they say the entire iTunes library is available for streaming? I missed that part.

Yep, and you can cache for offline.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
Apple Music does not include the entire iTunes library. The Apple Music catalog is advertised as containing over 30 million songs and the iTunes store catalog as containing over 43 million. It probably won't be much different from Spotify/Rdio/Beats' catalogs, with the exception of whatever artist exclusives Apple has managed to lock down.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The rear end Stooge posted:

Apple Music does not include the entire iTunes library. The Apple Music catalog is advertised as containing over 30 million songs and the iTunes store catalog as containing over 43 million. It probably won't be much different from Spotify/Rdio/Beats' catalogs, with the exception of whatever artist exclusives Apple has managed to lock down.

Yes, this is correct. I THOUGHT they meant the entire library butttt there is double talk since they said "Apple Music Catalog".

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'll believe that it's really the whole library (including, say, The loving Beatles) when I see it with my own eyes on June 30. And if it's true, that would be pretty awesome.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Either way we get 3 months to explore, hopefully I can find applescript or something to import my playlists from spotify.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Not to detract from the music providers talk, but....

How in the hell are Spotify, and Apple able to get these enormous screen scaled videos to play in like no time in the background of their splash page. Is this some Pied Piper poo poo or just really well compressed gifvs? On the apple music main page there's this cute chick dancing as the background image, that's pretty impressive on my old rear end 2 core amd machine.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

down1nit posted:

there's this cute chick dancing as the background image

That's FKA twigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

they seem to have done a waaaaaaay better job picking artists considering last year they were handing out loving u2 albums. this could be pretty good. shame the itunes desktop app is amazingly even worse than the spotify desktop app though

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Unless Apple Music is a total abortion I'm going to try it and probably give serious consideration to switching. Spotify has served me well the last three years but there's competition now and, unlike Spotify, that competition doesn't seem complacent with "good enough."

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

down1nit posted:

Not to detract from the music providers talk, but....

How in the hell are Spotify, and Apple able to get these enormous screen scaled videos to play in like no time in the background of their splash page. Is this some Pied Piper poo poo or just really well compressed gifvs? On the apple music main page there's this cute chick dancing as the background image, that's pretty impressive on my old rear end 2 core amd machine.

It's a 15 second mp4 - http://images.apple.com/media/us/music/2015/758e7234_576d_4c94_8dc0_54994631d0fb/overview/hero.mp4

Modern browsers have native support for embedding formats like this one into web pages so they perform pretty well so long as your internet connection is decent.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

queertea posted:

that competition doesn't seem complacent with "good enough."

Tell that to Apple TV owners or folks who use the stock iOS Podcasts app.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

theradiostillsucks posted:

Apple TV is the very definition of "good enough," but to be fair they are on the cusp of a revamp. No one uses the iOS podcast app - does anyone use any native iOS app other than iMessage and Music?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

DominoDancing posted:

I'll believe that it's really the whole library (including, say, The loving Beatles) when I see it with my own eyes on June 30. And if it's true, that would be pretty awesome.

Sad trombone: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/8/8745963/the-beatles-apple-music

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

theradiostillsucks posted:

Push button, watch stuff. What exactly are you trying to tell me here?

Treemeister
Oct 15, 2006

HAY GUYS
I'm not so certain that we can say anything about whether Apple's offer won't settle for good enough. I'm definitely not interested if we're restricted to just a mobile app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Built 4 Cuban Linux
Jul 15, 2007

i own america

Treemeister posted:

I'm not so certain that we can say anything about whether Apple's offer won't settle for good enough. I'm definitely not interested if we're restricted to just a mobile app.

it will work in iTunes on desktop.

• Locked thread