Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
reminder that the studies all say there's a precipitous drop in accidents when 30% or more cars on the road are automated, and say nothing about what happens leading up to that 30%

i assume they include in that lead-up all the fatalities caused because someone didn't wrap their goto statement in curly braces or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
how many more people does google need to kill for this program to finally stop?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Beast of Bourbon posted:

how many more people does google need to kill for this program to finally stop?

i'm going to guess "one" would be a good lower bound

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dessert Rose posted:

gently caress families, all hail the technocracy
families are a bourgeoisie construct meant to deflect and distract individuals from embracing true juche

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Condiv posted:

i'm curious if they're even testing these things in anything but the best circumstances (good sunny weather, no rain, wind, or ice, clean streets, etc.). i remember them having trouble with construction zones and locking up because of them

afaik they haven't moved substantially beyond millimeter-level mapping of roads and the assumption that nothing unexpected ever happens while driving ever

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

afaik they haven't moved substantially beyond millimeter-level mapping of roads and the assumption that nothing unexpected ever happens while driving ever

We will never have self-driving cars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

We will never have self-driving cars.

tori's actually very correct here.

Anyways we have virtually self-driving cars but they only need 1 driver per 50 people. its called the T. take it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
self driving cars will be like in iRobot where will smith is in the tunnel working on the case while the car drives itself and then he has to take manual control cause of the goddamn robots.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

self driving cars will be like in iRobot where will smith is in the tunnel working on the case while the car drives itself and then he has to take manual control cause of the goddamn robots.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

trains should all be turned to scrap imo

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

tori's actually very correct here.

Anyways we have virtually self-driving cars but they only need 1 driver per 50 people. its called the T. take it

The problem is that most of what you do while driving is done automatically because you've been doing it long enough. you don't think about it. Driving seems simple enough to anyone who's had a license for a while, but it is probably the most complicated activity any given person will probably do in their lifetime.

so yeah, you can't just look at something like that and "disrupt" it, not without a lot more work than you think and probably better technology than we have.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
and thats the glory of transit. You are able to use one person's reaction time and braking skills and coordination to move fifty people.

self driving cars can't even come close to it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Citizen Tayne posted:

so yeah, you can't just look at something like that and "disrupt" it, not without a lot more work than you think and probably better technology than we have.
Sure you can, there's a slave labor pool lining up to take you places for under a dollar a mile right now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait until a google "engineer" accidentally flips the transit mode on the hidden internal Google Maps app to Transit and one of those cute little cars squishes someone into paste trying to get down the escalator to use BART.

lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dessert Rose posted:

cannot wait for the day when it is illegal for a human to operate a multi ton machine capable of moving fast enough to kill other humans instantly

but what about getting a chance to drive a train?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

I can't wait until a google "engineer" accidentally flips the transit mode on the hidden internal Google Maps app to Transit and one of those cute little cars squishes someone into paste trying to get down the escalator to use BART.

stands to reason any AI developed by Google would also appreciate trains

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Sure you can, there's a slave labor pool lining up to take you places for under a dollar a mile right now

why not just crowdsource remote driving and use natural instead of artificial intelligence

an app that connects your car with an independent contractor anywhere in the world to drive it for you for only pennies per mile plus a $1/trip safe rides fee

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shakespearean Beef posted:

The article herein clearly states that none of the accidents are the fault of the google car. These accidents would have occurred regardless of whether it was an Autonomous Vehicle or a regular drivered one. I hardly see how this is an 'epic fail' for Google.

what about the one where a goog car saw somebody running a stop sign and automatically braked...presumably while it was in the middle of the intersection, because the test driver hit the manual override as soon as he realized the car was trying to stop, but wasn't able to evade in time to avoid being tboned

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

eschaton posted:

why not just crowdsource remote driving and use natural instead of artificial intelligence

an app that connects your car with an independent contractor anywhere in the world to drive it for you for only pennies per mile plus a $1/trip safe rides fee

this, but also mount the camera on a pole above and behind the vehicle so they can drive from a third-person perspective

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

and thats the glory of transit. You are able to use one person's reaction time and braking skills and coordination to move fifty people.

self driving cars can't even come close to it

no, but an errant self driving car could "move" about a dozen people, which isn't too bad.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

no, but an errant self driving car could "move" about a dozen people, which isn't too bad.

Breaking: Google car footage

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what happened to the leap bus

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Wild EEPROM posted:

what happened to the leap bus

http://m.sfgate.com/business/article/Leap-Transit-shut-down-by-the-state-for-operating-6276298.php

dammit that article's missing their really funny spin, let me see if I can find it

e:

quote:

The company, which identifies itself on Facebook as a "Computers/Technology" service, posted last night that it would suspend its buses as permitting has been "held up due to various clerical issues.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

if their behavior involves following the rules of the road to the letter without any deviation then yeah that'd be pretty unexpected out on the actual road and I could see how that'd cause accidents

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in traffic engineering we call them crashes b/c "accident" implies that the collision was an unavoidable act of god instead of a human yakking on their phone and turning a child into muck

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

i wish that mentality could catch on in society.

would also like to see less use of the term 'fighting cancer', so we stop pretending there's nothing to do about it until you have it, and can instead start focusing on reducing its prevalence

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

also cancer 'survivor' - there's a reason they say it's 'in remission' and not 'cured'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in traffic engineering we call them crashes b/c "accident" implies that the collision was an unavoidable act of god instead of a human yakking on their phone and turning a child into muck

eh there are still actual accidents tho they're prolly vastly outnumbered by exactly what you're describing

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

there was a big truck route not far from here where something insane like 20 trucks tipped over in 18 months
because part of the turn wasn't designed right and the trucks would fall to the outside

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i suspect its police lingo - calling them accidents means they can file their official reports without assigning blame one way or the other

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

always blame police imo

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

FMguru posted:

i suspect its police lingo - calling them accidents means they can file their official reports without assigning blame one way or the other

traffic incident

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
remember, it's always "a" dildo found in the luggage, not "their" dildo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

in the event of a dildo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
indefinite dildo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Clockwerk posted:

would also like to see less use of the term 'fighting cancer', so we stop pretending there's nothing to do about it until you have it, and can instead start focusing on reducing its prevalence

easier said than done pal

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bhodi posted:

this would concern me, actually. i'd be all, 'wait, a dildo? not my dildo? who the gently caress has been monkeying with my dildo?"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Clockwerk posted:

Munkeymon posted:

also cancer 'survivor' - there's a reason they say it's 'in remission' and not 'cured'

eh there are still actual accidents tho they're prolly vastly outnumbered by exactly what you're describing

it's all victim blaming b/c the idea of just being randomly, uncontrollably struck down by cancer is p uncomfortable for many folks

so instead you can obliquely blame the cancer victim's lifestyle or actions or "lack of will to live" or other things that you yourself could maybe control

but yea it's crazy annoying and i have absolutely no problem correcting people on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

syscall girl posted:

indefinite dildo

brb, setting up my new band's site

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in the event of a dildo

like theres any other possible situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
lmao all this dude's kickstarters are just for existing products on alibaba, including the same cheerson cx-10 clone 3 times

• Locked thread