Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I almost forget that he's been doing this show for almost two decades until they do montages like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Rick Perry: Risk The Consequences

Rick Perry: Now With Glasses

"I'm kinda like Clark Kent, only when I take 'em off, my superpower is to make my state shittier!"

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Awwwwwww :3: the kid with the graduation speech sounded so nervous but he was so adorable.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'll keep laughing at jokes that are about

a) how The Nightly Show isn't called "The Minority Report".
b) how Larry isn't Stephen.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rick Perry: Now With Glasses

"I'm kinda like Clark Kent, only when I take 'em off, my superpower is to make my state shittier!"

What I love about this "change" is that you never see him without his glasses anymore, and they're always horn-rimmed--i.e. the most visible, "smart" glasses there are.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

What I love about this "change" is that you never see him without his glasses anymore, and they're always horn-rimmed--i.e. the most visible, "smart" glasses there are.

His wife picked them out, and they're $500 hipster frames. The only reason I know this is because I actually wanted to know if someone had determined whether or not there are actually prescription lenses in there, or if he's truly trying to Clark Kent his image with useless glasses.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

His wife picked them out, and they're $500 hipster frames. The only reason I know this is because I actually wanted to know if someone had determined whether or not there are actually prescription lenses in there, or if he's truly trying to Clark Kent his image with useless glasses.

So are they or not?

Not that it makes a difference as to his profound retardation.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

IRQ posted:

So are they or not?

Not that it makes a difference as to his profound retardation.

http://www.radioiowa.com/2014/02/27/rick-perry-says-new-glasses-a-medical-necessity-not-a-fashion-statement/

“An accident as a young man is manifesting itself in my vision finally,” Perry said.

They're probably just for show.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
Colbert can make press releases funny

http://colbertlateshow.com/news/1004318/-the-late-show-podcast-is-1-will-stay-that-way-forever-/

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Has anyone tried emailing communications director Alberto Rčalnamč?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So I just got caught up on last week's Daily Show episodes.

Rick Perry has a rap?!

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Astro Nut posted:

Rick Perry has a rap?!

Yeah, but it's one of those terrible country music style "raps" that are more like terrible rhyming in that terrible country music monotone.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Astro Nut posted:

Rick Perry has a rap?!

It's... something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt2AJPAF0n4

Not really sure who such a thing is meant to appeal to. Work for hire rappers seems like a small demographic now that rapping multiplications tables and don't talk to strangers videos isn't a thing anymore.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Farewell Col-beard?

http://t.co/27djOaYQM8

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

This is why I'm actually super interested in Late Show w/ Colbert.

Colbert is insane. If you haven't seen Strangers with Candy, you're missing out. Him being able to do whatever he wants without being stuck to the Colbert character from Daily Show and the Report is going to mean a lot of absurd humor. Really absurd. Like, reverse-Hitler absurd.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't think he will go as crazy as Stangers with Candy. He still needs to answer to CBS.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

GreenNight posted:

I don't think he will go as crazy as Stangers with Candy. He still needs to answer to CBS.

Oh I agree but he's gonna be lightyears ahead of Kimmel and Fallon's sense and style of humor.

It doesn't hurt that he can sing or dance too so he'll probably have a lot of fun in that sense too.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Boywhiz88 posted:

Oh I agree but he's gonna be lightyears ahead of Kimmel and Fallon's sense and style of humor.

It doesn't hurt that he can sing or dance too so he'll probably have a lot of fun in that sense too.
I wonder if he would ever do any crossover skits with Fallon with them both being in NY?
Unlike Leno, everyone seems friendly with each other and I remember them having the fun rivalry over the ice cream flavors.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I still hate Fallon and think he should have never been anointed as a late night host.

I'm sure Colbert will keep the friendly rivalry going because Stephen isn't a mean-spirited personality, but I rather live in my own bubble where I don't have to be reminded of Fallon's existence.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I do hope that they continue the rivalry. Sure, they buried the hatchet, but he can always write that off as Stephen Colbert the pundit settling things with Fallon. Stephen Colbert the late night talk show host still thinks that he is human garbage that must be destroyed!

Caedus
Sep 11, 2007

It's good to have a sense of scale.

I was out of town this week so I'm catching up on TDS tonight, and I was sort of half watching until the McCrystal interview. I watched that guy dodge so hard he was giving Jon an aneurism, and the next episode, Jon is so loving mad I'm actually excited to watch. I was suddenly hit by the fact that he's had to cover this middle east poo poo almost his entire tenure and he just can't do it anymore. He is letting loose so completely it's amazing, retreading the exact same stuff as when I started watching in 2002 and he's so mad that it all fell apart exactly as he figured it would.

The last episode will be twenty two minutes of screaming.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Boywhiz88 posted:

This is why I'm actually super interested in Late Show w/ Colbert.

Colbert is insane. If you haven't seen Strangers with Candy, you're missing out. Him being able to do whatever he wants without being stuck to the Colbert character from Daily Show and the Report is going to mean a lot of absurd humor. Really absurd. Like, reverse-Hitler absurd.

Half the show is still going to be a celebrity wankfest, though. That's probably my main concern as well as the monologue which is awful in literally every late night talk show ever. Colbert is very good at interviews, but the longer format just inevitably gets tiresome for me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Does anyone even watch talk shows for the interviews anymore? Unless it's someone really interesting or if it was a Craig Ferguson interview, I almost always skip them or switch the show off early. It's especially painful with that blubbering idiot that took over for Ferguson who tries to ape Graham Norton.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 8, 2015

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

Does anyone even watch talk shows for the interviews anymore? Unless it's someone really interesting or if it was a Craig Ferguson interview, I almost always skip them or switch the show off early. It's especially painful with that blubbering idiot that took over for Ferguson who tries to ape Graham Norton.

God, Ferguson was a fantastic interviewer. He would get these people who you might consider C-Grade celebrities and reality stars and you would look forward to them becoming regulars because they just hit it off.

EDIT: Ariel Tweto is still adorable.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ferguson came the closest to reinvigorating the late night talk show format.

Kinda crazy to see how influential Jimmy Fallon's "style" has become though. Corden is definitely closer to Fallon that I would have guessed.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Tonight's TNS panel will probably be terrible because Frank Luntz.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Echo Chamber posted:

So basically Larry is going to uncritically let Luntz get away with rhetorical murder.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Neeksy posted:

So basically Larry is going to uncritically let Luntz get away with rhetorical murder.

I was setting up my TDS recordings for this week and briefly thought, well, maybe TNS deserves another chance, saw that Frank Luntz was tonight's guest, and thought better of that. I know nobody would do Luntz as a guest to my satisfaction (:commissar:), but I could just see Willmore doing his obnoxious chuckle as Luntz openly flaunts what loving human garbage he is literally ruining this country for money.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Supercop doing that loving combat roll to bust some pool-going black teens never stops being hilarious. I've watched it like 100 times.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
At first I thought the cop was your typical racist bully, but apparently he's loving insane.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

raditts posted:

Supercop doing that loving combat roll to bust some pool-going black teens never stops being hilarious. I've watched it like 100 times.

It's like he's in a Dark Souls game.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I didn't see this video before, way to escalate things, Officer Barrel Roll.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neeksy posted:

It's like he's in a Dark Souls game.

I see what you did there.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

raditts posted:

It reminds me of Hot Fuzz, in that he thinks he's in an action movie.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Well that Luntz segment was dull, and it wasn't as painful because they barely interacted with the guy whenever possible.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Neeksy posted:

Well that Luntz segment was dull, and it wasn't as painful because they barely interacted with the guy whenever possible.

Which is really the best way to go if you absolutely have to have Luntz on your show.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
It really makes me wonder who's booking the guests. Like what are you hoping to accomplish by having Luntz on the show? Especially if you're not going to engage him or try and show him up.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Luntz was bearable because he wasn't forcing too much newspeak.

But yeah, what was the point? Did they just want a famous pollster? Nate Silver was busy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I suspect the Nightly Show is having to stretch and beg for guests, it may have turned itself around but it's not a late night power that can pull more serious names yet.

• Locked thread