Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone know if it's alright to go from Lamy black to Blue (cartridges) without flushing my pen? I've got an exam in the morning, just discovered my pen is nearly empty and I only have blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

chippy posted:

Does anyone know if it's alright to go from Lamy black to Blue (cartridges) without flushing my pen? I've got an exam in the morning, just discovered my pen is nearly empty and I only have blue.

Yeah, it won't kill the pen. It'll just be writing in a darker blue than usual for a while.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Nice one, thanks for that.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Holy poo poo, I just got a pre-owned Aurora Optima Auroloide in blue from nibs.com, and not only does it look awesome, it writes like a loving dream. Even better than my Parker Premier, which I also got from them and which writes very well. I think I'm in love. Next up: Omas Paragon Arco, maybe after I've saved up for a year or so :D Italian pens, man...

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
My girlfriend has been getting into a bit of a nib pen obsession lately. She picked up a cheap fountain pen from Staples and loves it, so her next step is gonna be a pilot metro. She's also wanting to get into dip pens, though, which leads into my question. Can you use the same ink for dip pens as fountain pens? Like if she got one of the inks recommended here, could she use it for both a dip pen and filling a fountain pen?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
You can but it's a bit thinner than typical dip pen inks so you'll have to re-dip more often.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Funddevi posted:

My girlfriend has been getting into a bit of a nib pen obsession lately. She picked up a cheap fountain pen from Staples and loves it, so her next step is gonna be a pilot metro. She's also wanting to get into dip pens, though, which leads into my question. Can you use the same ink for dip pens as fountain pens? Like if she got one of the inks recommended here, could she use it for both a dip pen and filling a fountain pen?

Yeah, you can use fountain pen ink in a dip pen, but it won't cling to the nib as well. You can not use India ink in a fountain pen, unless you don't mind throwing the pen away when the feed turns into a solid mass of dried ink pigment. The Desiderata Pen Company makes fountain pens that use dip nibs and they work wonderfully. Worth checking out, I love mine.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
So, I haven't bought a pen since getting an Ahab in 2011. How are the new TWSIBI Vac 700 with the special ink well? I have an old 540 that I really don't use anymore. I most likely will put noodler's ink in it but if there is something else I should use let me know.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sonatinas posted:

So, I haven't bought a pen since getting an Ahab in 2011. How are the new TWSIBI Vac 700 with the special ink well? I have an old 540 that I really don't use anymore. I most likely will put noodler's ink in it but if there is something else I should use let me know.

It's one of my favorite pens. I have a blue one, and a stuck one of the gold plated goulet nibs in it and it looks great.

As far as ink is concerned, Noodlers is just fine.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Noodler's only seems to cause problems with vintage pens that have rubber sacs, and the baystate series will stain just about anything. Those inkwells look neat, but I don't have any problems filling my Vac700 from normal ink bottles so I don't know how necessary they are. I suppose it's a bit of tight fit in the Diamine 30ml bottles, but I've only got like one of those so I don't really think about it.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Solkanar512 posted:

It's one of my favorite pens. I have a blue one, and a stuck one of the gold plated goulet nibs in it and it looks great.

As far as ink is concerned, Noodlers is just fine.

I have the blue as well (a surprising and very awesome gift from the local pen posse last year) and I got it modified by a tinkering dude to use a Wahl Eversharp nib. Had to shave the feed channel in order to get the appropriate ink flow, but once it's properly going it can write for years. I have Stormy Grey inked up on it right now, fantastic!

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Three days to clear Canadian customs for my latest package from Goulet

come onnnnnnnnn customs you're killing me here I just want to play with my new Monteverde Invincia and try the pretty colours

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Tochiazuma posted:

Three days to clear Canadian customs for my latest package from Goulet

come onnnnnnnnn customs you're killing me here I just want to play with my new Monteverde Invincia and try the pretty colours

Well they wanna play with it as well :saddowns:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

"We borrowed your foontain pen for a tick. Soary."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ive had stuff take a month to get through customs and to the door.. this is why I stopped shipping to canada with ebay items.

I got 100ml of blue ink and a jinhao x450 to stick it in that will be here at around noon (not a bad deal for $16). I'll totally be running home to grab that on lunch..

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Man, I've had pens and pen parts shipped to me in the US from the UK, France, and India, and never had them get stuck in customs. Sorry about your bad luck. :(

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

NeurosisHead posted:

Man, I've had pens and pen parts shipped to me in the US from the UK, France, and India, and never had them get stuck in customs. Sorry about your bad luck. :(

Stuff arrived today, in the 3 days they had it customs didn't open the package but they did charge me $10 for 'handling' it plus another $30 GST. Sheesh.

Next time the stuff is going through Parcel Donkey and we'll just nip over the border to pick it up.

The pen is pretty sexy, though!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

NeurosisHead posted:

Here in Italy it's about equal parts customs and loving incompetent postal service. The horror stories I could tell you... :arghfist::(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Tochiazuma posted:

Stuff arrived today, in the 3 days they had it customs didn't open the package but they did charge me $10 for 'handling' it plus another $30 GST. Sheesh.

Next time the stuff is going through Parcel Donkey and we'll just nip over the border to pick it up.

The pen is pretty sexy, though!

Ontario hu?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Ontario hu?

Yup, St. Catharines. Trying to save a few bucks and a border crossing, I wound up paying even more. I've learned my lesson for next time.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

There's a man in the middle mailbox place near the outlet mall in nia falls.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

tater_salad posted:

There's a man in the middle mailbox place near the outlet mall in nia falls.

Thanks, my wife likes the excuse to do a little cross-border shopping in any case.

The Invincia Deluxe was worth the wait! So smoooooooth. So pretty.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Some interesting things and findings!

Cheapo Office Max fountain pens. 4 for 30 pesos, which is around 2 dollars now.
I will check if I can remove the branding and use them as gift pens, replacing my usual Hero 616s and whatnot, these are EVEN CHEAPER! And not half bad for that price.

Hand written:
Due to horrible handwriting, will transcribe.

Zebra Fuente Disposable Fountain Pen

In Blue. The blue ink seems to flow rather well. Strange, since the feed is NOT flush with the nib itself.

It is as smooth as the Pilot Varsity, but in my opinion, slightly prettier. And considerably cheaper (Half the varsity's price here)

It has an ink window, useful to gauge how much ink is left.

Cap seems VERY similar to the Platinum Preppy's. Could be used as a replacement cap?

I hope that it is as easy to refill as the varsity. I will attempt to do so after emptying it of its original load.

For 26 MXN, one can do far worse. But the nib not sitting against the feed is slightly worrysome.

Pelikan Twist
My first Pelikan!
It is certainly an eye catcher. Very unconventional! Extremely comfortable!

Nib is not the smoothest I have, but it seems like it would make for a very comfortable workhorse.
Ink level is not easily visible. Using one of the included cartridges.

Feasible to turn it into an eyedropper filler?

I have no complaints. Particularly for the price I got it for (30 MXN, down from 175 MXN). It would be well worth the original price.
Main issue is that it lacks a clip.

Fountain Pen Revolution Triveni JR in Red Ebonite

Filled with Waterman Mysterious Blue. I love the texture of ebonite. I also like the smell. Have not licked it to try the flavor, though.

Equipped with a FPR blanded Flex Steel Nib. It works well, but the plastic feed cannot keep up with it.

It railroads much more than both my FPR Gurus that have ebonite feeds.

Using it in Eyedropper mode. Massive ink capacity! Included converter seemed a bit flimsy.

Eventually I will get the Acrylic version. Other than the feed, I am very happy with this piece. Very fun, but not as striking as the acrylic versions.

(I really like the mysterious blue)

Ink level is not readily apparent, can be messy.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

sonatinas posted:

I might be using it wrong but the inkwell has been pretty useless. After a couple fills the ink level is too low to cover the nib and feed. Pen is great though.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I've ever had trouble filling from mine (by screwing the pen into the dedicated thingy), but it does leak a whole bunch. It isn't cracked or anything; the seal between the main cap and the bottle is imperfect.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I feel like such a badass, I picked up an extra-fine, red-black Pelikan M800 on eBay, because it's a gorgeous color and it was cheap. When I first got the pen I was crushed because it did not write well at all, very scratchy. Took a look at the nib under magnification, and one of the tines was ever so slightly out of whack. After just a bit of fiddling everything is much closer to being in alignment, and it writes so much better, which is a huge relief. Now to buy a bunch of red ink samples so this can be my primary editing pen.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

breathstealer posted:

I might be using it wrong but the inkwell has been pretty useless. After a couple fills the ink level is too low to cover the nib and feed. Pen is great though.

You're supposed to invert it before filling so the little plastic cone insert gets filled up, and then you ink up from the cone.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

404notfound posted:

You're supposed to invert it before filling so the little plastic cone insert gets filled up, and then you ink up from the cone.

We are talking about filling the Vac 700 from it's special little inkwell, right? You're supposed to screw the pen into the inkwell and then invert everything and work the plunger, letting gravity help the vacuum fill get as much ink as possible into the pen.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I took the plunge a few months ago and I was hooked almost instantly.

Started with a Pilot Metropolitan and holy poo poo was this a lot of fun to write with. Soon grabbed a Lamy Safari to go with it, and picked up a cheap Sheaffer Viewpoint just today to practice calligraphy with.

Swapped out the medium nib in the Lamy for an extra fine; it's a little scratchy at times but I prefer really fine where I can. Still using the standard nib in the Pilot and a broad nib in the Sheaffer.

I even found a nice box at a thrift store to store them all in! Also pictured: a bottle of Diamine Tyrian Purple and Lamy's Blue-Black. I've got my eye on the Diamine Oxblood for after my next paycheck.

Got two quick questions: will the Sheaffer Cartridge Converter fit my Viewpoint? And does anybody have any good resources for teaching/practicing calligraphy?

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Captain_Person posted:

Got two quick questions: will the Sheaffer Cartridge Converter fit my Viewpoint? And does anybody have any good resources for teaching/practicing calligraphy?

As for the first one, yes it will. You do see part of the silver trim through the ink window, if that bothers you refilling the cartridge might be better.

No idea on the calligraphy.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
whoops

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Captain_Person posted:

I took the plunge a few months ago and I was hooked almost instantly.

Started with a Pilot Metropolitan and holy poo poo was this a lot of fun to write with. Soon grabbed a Lamy Safari to go with it, and picked up a cheap Sheaffer Viewpoint just today to practice calligraphy with.

Swapped out the medium nib in the Lamy for an extra fine; it's a little scratchy at times but I prefer really fine where I can. Still using the standard nib in the Pilot and a broad nib in the Sheaffer.

I even found a nice box at a thrift store to store them all in! Also pictured: a bottle of Diamine Tyrian Purple and Lamy's Blue-Black. I've got my eye on the Diamine Oxblood for after my next paycheck.

For Spencerian Calligraphy, I bought this and got a lot of mileage out of it (plenty of practice on your own needed too of course):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088062096X?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

For Gothic this website is a really good starting point:

http://www.calligraphy-skills.com/gothic-alphabet.html

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NeurosisHead posted:

For Spencerian Calligraphy, I bought this and got a lot of mileage out of it (plenty of practice on your own needed too of course):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/088062096X?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

For Gothic this website is a really good starting point:

http://www.calligraphy-skills.com/gothic-alphabet.html

The book is nice, however I'd recommend using larger printouts from e.g. the IAMPETH site to practice arm movement rather than hand movement.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Personally I like The Art of Calligraphy the best. Helps that it's a free ebook. Not sure how good it is for pointed scripts, since I don't do those.

man in the eyeball hat
Dec 23, 2006

Capture the opening of the portal that connects this earth of 3D to one earth of 4D or 5D. Going to the 5D.

There's a Massdrop right now that's a Lamy Safari and the mechanical pencil for $36 (assuming it hits the goal). Isn't using the body of the pencil on the pen the typical method for making a Safari into an eyedropper? Seems like it could be a good opportunity for that.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Please send help.. i cant stay away from jinhao pens. I just ordered a 599 demonstrator and got an x450 or 750 last week.. I habe an amazon wishlist with a hooded nib one and an insane dragon one and 2 normal ones.. all costing a total around $50

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

tater_salad posted:

Please send help.. i cant stay away from jinhao pens. I just ordered a 599 demonstrator and got an x450 or 750 last week.. I habe an amazon wishlist with a hooded nib one and an insane dragon one and 2 normal ones.. all costing a total around $50

They're 50% of the quality of what they're knocking off, but they're usually about 10% of the cost. I've bought a couple of Jinhao pens for things like J. Herbin 1670 inks or iron gall inks, even if they hadn't worked out well enough I wouldn't have felt bad about being out <$10.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I just ordered a 599 demonstrator and its $6 to my door.. the other was a net cost of $1 because it made my ink order free shipping and xfountainpens.com sent me a new cap bec5suse it had a dent when I got it.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
How long can I expect an ink to last in a bottle? I have too many inks for as infrequently as I write. I have a bottle of Waterman's blue, Monte Verde purple, and a bottle of DeAtramentis black that is rose scented. I use my fountain pen at work as much as at home, so I like my Noodlers Aurora Borealis black or Catfish Blue for that. I'd rather not throw away perfectly full jars of ink, but I don't see myself using them before they either rot or go bad in whatever way inks go bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

atholbrose posted:

We are talking about filling the Vac 700 from it's special little inkwell, right? You're supposed to screw the pen into the inkwell and then invert everything and work the plunger, letting gravity help the vacuum fill get as much ink as possible into the pen.

And it works really well. I keep mine in my desk at work, and it's great to be able to refill without risking a mess. Well worth the money. Doesn't leak either as someone said upthread. Maybe they got a defective one.