Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I've only seen the anime, actually. The only scene that's really stayed with me is the refreshing woodcutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Trip Report:

Hunter X Hunter continues to be the raddest Boy Love series I've watched

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I hate Honey-senpai.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
It's funny and sweet. Dunno how novel it is compared against its ilk though.

I can't speak for anyone else, but Ouran High School Host Club was the first anime I ever watched that was decidedly outside my comfort zone. Up till that point I'd mostly been into action-y stuff, so a romantic comedy was definitely a step into unfamiliar territory.

Haruhi muh waifu.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I hate Honey-senpai.
We are enemies now, you and I.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Everyone whose all, "Wow! All this shoujochat makes me want to be a preteen girl, too!"

this was me basically after Girl Friends

they all seem to be having so much fun together about things they have no clue about

my perennial favorite is 'if boys touch my chest it gets bigger' lolwhat

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Bad Seafood posted:

We are enemies now, you and I.

This will be a short and brutal war, because you are my friend, and I will not work against you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This will be a short and brutal war, because you are my friend, and I will not work against you.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

the couple in midori days get together in the first chapter haha
Gotta hand it to you, that made me laugh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Paracelsus posted:

Gotta hand it to you, that made me laugh.

groan

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Puns should be probatable.

People should still make them, but they should be punished for it.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If puns were probatable I would have the longest rap sheet in SA history.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The weird part is that I can't place Host Club's familiar aspects other than just some amalgam of having read/seen Marmalade Boy, Fushigi Yugi, and Fruits Basket as the prime examples of what shoujo was like when I was younger.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The first half of the Fruits Basket anime definitely as a similar feel to Ouran. It loses that pretty quick, though, especially as the manga continues way beyond the anime end.

The Fruits Basket manga is probably my favorite shoujo. It makes me feel things.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Yay shoujochat.

Read Taiyou no Ie, my favorite shoujo manga. If all those panels posted in the last bunch of pages can't convince you then you are dead inside.

Ouran High School Host Club is good and funny. The anime is a lot better.

Say I Love You is good manga but runs into the "shoujo who doesn't know when to end" thing. Same with Kimi ni Todoke. Say I Love You anime is boring as hell, which is silly considering its adapting the same things as the manga, but does it so much more halfheartedly.

Kare Kano is good. Watch the anime if you want a romcom where the leads get together really early on. Most people dislike the manga, I enjoyed it all the way through but it's already been established that I like bad things, and the anime is still better.

I actually read Marmalade Boy about once every two years, it's not super great but I find it enjoyable.

These are my opinions, but they are probably bad. Embrace the bad, it is fun.

Also speaking of bad but getting away from shoujochat, if you guys are looking for something so over the top it becomes amazing, watch this season's Grisaia. This latest episode was nothing short of incredible.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Please don't get away from shoujo chat! It's v. informative and i like it.

*scribbles down shoujo notes on a piece of pink paper

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Jostiband posted:

Please don't get away from shoujo chat! It's v. informative and i like it.

*scribbles down shoujo notes on a piece of pink paper

Writes down Paradise Kiss for you.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Wife and Wife technically isn't shoujo but it's good and you should read it if you want a romantic comedy with zero will-they-won't-they dithering

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I'm known as the dude who reads more Shoujo manga than a preteen girl, what the hell is with these recs that aren't including Bonnouji.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Twiddy posted:

I'm known as the dude who reads more Shoujo manga than a preteen girl, what the hell is with these recs that aren't including Bonnouji.

Not shoujo.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
OK, I have finished my reread of House of the Sun. You are all freed from my posting of good panels from it until they finally release whatever extra chapters.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Worst Girl posted:

Trip Report:

Hunter X Hunter continues to be the raddest Boy Love series I've watched

Well I get the impression all the cute girls around Gons age are killed off what other choice does he have?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The original request was for shoujo with actual English releases.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I'll be damned, I usually associate seinen with poo poo that's much more exploitative. Never got a hang of these Japanese genre things. It's a goddamn romance story.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 9, 2015

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

a kitten posted:

Writes down Paradise Kiss for you.

Way ahead of you. Really good though!
Been feeling kind of down lately, so I'm looking for something a bit more carefree, brainless and adorable. No drama need apply unless it's Douman style adorable drama that ends on a high note.
Maybe I'll make a custom playlist that's just the Lovely Complex OP looped for twenty hours or something.

Twiddy posted:

Probably because it's not shoujo. It's very amazing though! :)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Twiddy posted:

Are you, tho?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Well I get the impression all the cute girls around Gons age are killed off what other choice does he have?
Gon is like twelve years old, so I wouldn't exactly consider Ponzu within his age range.

No don't post the cougar panel.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Namtab posted:

Are you, tho?
Among people who know me and my anime habits IRL, I'll be damned if I actually have an online reputation.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I'm cool with shoujo chat even though I don't really read manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Skip Beat was what got me back into shoujo. Shame it's kind of stagnated lately, and there are no consistent scanlations. Taiyou no Ie was what solidified itself as my favorite.

Other random shoujo I've read somewhat recently that I liked include NG Life which is from the same author of Akatsuki no Yona. It basically revolves around reincarnation since basically the main character remembers his past life as a gladiator in Pompeii as well as those of his friends. The twist being that his former wife has reincarnated into a dude.

Basara stars a girl who is the twin sister of the chosen hero destined to free the land of its tyrannical lords. Her brother and village get slaughtered in the first chapter, and so she takes up her brother's identity to continue the fight.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Twiddy posted:

Among people who know me and my anime habits IRL, I'll be damned if I actually have an online reputation.

what if you've been reading seinen all along and you've never even read a single shoujo manga? makes u think....

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

Jostiband posted:

what if you've been reading seinen all along and you've never even read a single shoujo manga? makes u think....
My entire identity has been a lie this whole time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Wife and Wife technically isn't shoujo but it's good and you should read it if you want a romantic comedy with zero will-they-won't-they dithering

Wife and Wife is possibly the fluffiest thing I have ever read.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Don't worry Genre Identity is a very complicated subject!

e: ohshi! I'm sorry Cantaloupe! :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thuryl posted:

That's actually a really good yuri manga and I always forget it exists for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Allarion posted:

Skip Beat was what got me back into shoujo. Shame it's kind of stagnated lately, and there are no consistent scanlations.

I feel that Skip Beat has some of the most consistent scanlations for shoujo. I mean, it's not always good scanlations, but it comes out a lot more regularly than most series. Also it's gotten back to an actual interesting plot line over the last couple of chapters.

Some of the series I follow I feel lucky if I get 4 chapters a year. God drat Glass Mask got 3 chapters in 2013, 1 chapter in 2014, and 4 chapters so far this year. I don't know if I'm going to die before that series ends, but I am determined to finish that god drat manga.

• Locked thread