Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

SunAndSpring posted:

Van Buren sounded pretty cool, from the design documents.

as do they all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hoodrich posted:

more interesting locations such as 90 subway tunnels

People really liked the design of Megaton, Rivet City, Tenpenny Tower and the historical landmarks in 3, even if they don't make any logical sense if you think about it for a few seconds. New Vegas was mostly desert, small industrial buildings and towns until you got to Freeside. It isn't as visually interesting to look at even though the world is consistent and makes logical sense.

Or to put it another way, a lot of people want the setting in their video games to be video gamey and memorable rather than realistic and mundane.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
So it looks like the main character will have voice-over work but am I the only one hoping for an option to turn it off? I quite enjoyed imagining my voice in lieu of a voice actor in the previous iterations of Fallout and while I appreciate works like Mass Effect and Witcher, I more enjoyed the vocally silent nature of Fallout's protagonist. Not a major thing for me, but one I will miss if not an option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah anyway on my newest replay I'm finding stuff I never found and exploring places I've never explored, like the H&H Tools factory where one of the workers went totally shithouse crazy and paranoid in the pre-war days and started making all kinds of weird demands on the workers and installed dangerous security measures...

...and also was probably Mr. House. I'm sure it's something that 90% of players already knew about from combing through the wikia or whatever, but I stumbled across it completely on my own and thought it was cool.

Have a more thorough explore in there, that place actually allows you to end the game incredibly quickly if I recall correctly.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Thunder Moose posted:

So it looks like the main character will have voice-over work but am I the only one hoping for an option to turn it off? I quite enjoyed imagining my voice in lieu of a voice actor in the previous iterations of Fallout and while I appreciate works like Mass Effect and Witcher, I more enjoyed the vocally silent nature of Fallout's protagonist. Not a major thing for me, but one I will miss if not an option.

I feel you. Sometimes I want a game where I am the hero and other times I want to play the hero that stars in a game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah the one place I couldn't get into was due to not having high enough science or lockpicking, can't recall which. I'll revisit it later, I've just reached New Vegas/House which everybody knows is when the game actually starts so I have plenty of time.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I'M SO loving READY FOR ANOTHER GAMEBRYO

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

New Vegas curtailed that problem somewhat by hiding the funniest poo poo in skill check failures.

Also I like that you lock yourself into having to kill Dean in Dead Money by passing a Barter check when you first meet him.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

GODDAMN IM SO HYPE FOR GOON TEARS

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah the one place I couldn't get into was due to not having high enough science or lockpicking, can't recall which. I'll revisit it later, I've just reached New Vegas/House which everybody knows is when the game actually starts so I have plenty of time.

Oh cool, going by the map I was starting to think New Vegas was way way shorter than 3.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i cant be the only one that thinks new vegas dlc was superlative to new vegas itself in every way

i mean what SERIES of dlc tells a more engaging story that the game proper while taking you to more engaging localities? its insane when you think about it

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Gamebryo isn't the problem. Plenty of other games used it and look and play great. It's Bethesda's lovely spaghetti code and failing grade animators in jobs they aren't suitable for that's the problem.

Though I will say Skyrim had better animations than previous Bethesda games. Still not great, but an improvement.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

i cant be the only one that thinks new vegas dlc was superlative to new vegas itself in every way

i mean what SERIES of dlc tells a more engaging story that the game proper while taking you to more engaging localities? its insane when you think about it
It's like New Vegas' core game was made by a bunch of people new to the engine and the DLCs were made after everyone had 1.5 years of experience working with it, whoaaaaaa

They were also structured like an expansion pack, which is actually a far less offensive way of presenting DLC. You remember Morrowind, right?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Blue Raider posted:

It pretty much was, story wise

It had some problems with enemies being bullet spongy or going a little overboard with the radios but ehhhh small problems really

I started nv over recently and am looking forward to the sierra madre

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Actually no the worst thing is that it took me a second playthrough to properly get and enjoy dead money. Thats sorta my own failing but at the same time i bet a bunch of people never gave it one to find out

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's like New Vegas' core game was made by a bunch of people new to the engine and the DLCs were made after everyone had 1.5 years of experience working with it, whoaaaaaa

They were also structured like an expansion pack, which is actually a far less offensive way of presenting DLC. You remember Morrowind, right?

I mostly liked how they all tied into each other to tell another story, and that bits and pieces of each character and a bit of their back story could be found in each. It also introduced some more comical elements like Saturnite and how dangerous everyday objects made out of it could be. As well as horrifying things like the Y-17 Trauma Override Harnesses which became even more horrifying when you started reading the notes of the people who developed them. And while I didn't really like the setting of Dead Money, I did find it's subplot rather tragic.

In short, when the inevitable DLC does come out I hope they tie it all together somehow instead of just adding in a mishmash of random stories and loot.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Shugojin posted:

Actually no the worst thing is that it took me a second playthrough to properly get and enjoy dead money. Thats sorta my own failing but at the same time i bet a bunch of people never gave it one to find out
Dead Money was a pain in the rear end overall and doesn't tell you you have free reign to explore everything after you kill or punk Elijah

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

When are they announcing the return of the Tunnel Snakes?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

PREPARE FOR DISAPPOINTMENT.

FO4 will use the Creation Engine, which was developed by Bethesda. Similar enough I can see why there'd be confusion but they wouldn't pay the cost to license another company's engine when they have their own they would use instead.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
i'm really laughing that they chose to set it in boston

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Poolparty posted:

When are they announcing the return of the Tunnel Snakes?
I really hope Butch Deloria made it further north and becomes a middle-aged grizzled motorcycle gang leader. TUNNEL SNAKES RULE

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Dead Money was a pain in the rear end overall and doesn't tell you you have free reign to explore everything after you kill or punk Elijah

Except how you exit with no objective beyond "Leave the Sierra Madre" with no physical incentive shoving you out the door and you're actually told before bailing that you can never return to explore it?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

But apparently the Witcher 3 is the Best Game Ever Made now or something.

I don't know if it's the best game ever but it definitely set a whole new standard for me. It feels like the game that Inquisition desperately wanted to be.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

chitoryu12 posted:

Except how you exit with no objective beyond "Leave the Sierra Madre" with no physical incentive shoving you out the door and you're actually told before bailing that you can never return to explore it?
Yeah, that's a deliberate dick move. Chris Avellone tried real hard to pull off the JRPG "lost forever" joke, but it didn't work on me :smug:

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Yeah, I'm happy that there is going to be a new Fallout game, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it being any good. I'm fully prepared for it to be worse then Fallout 3 in any number of ways (taking out VATS, mandatory voiced protagonist, somehow even worse writing, TES-style skill system, mandatory COD-Dog companion, mandatory Three Dog companion), and my base assumption is that the game is going to be as bad as vanilla Skyrim, if not worse. If I'm right I get to laugh at the people who got super hyped up for yet another Bethesda release, and on the off-chance I'm wrong then I get to enjoy an actually good Fallout game!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Yeah, I'm happy that there is going to be a new Fallout game, but I'm not getting my hopes up about it being any good. I'm fully prepared for it to be worse then Fallout 3 in any number of ways (taking out VATS, mandatory voiced protagonist, somehow even worse writing, TES-style skill system, mandatory COD-Dog companion, mandatory Three Dog companion), and my base assumption is that the game is going to be as bad as vanilla Skyrim, if not worse. If I'm right I get to laugh at the people who got super hyped up for yet another Bethesda release, and on the off-chance I'm wrong then I get to enjoy an actually good Fallout game!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

icantfindaname posted:

Depiction = endorsement

Agreed.

Thunder Moose posted:

Imagine cutscenes from Mass Effect but animated by Bethesda. I'd pay full price just to laugh at those for 50 hours.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I hope they get some decent voice actors for the companions and give them plenty of lines of dialog, ESPECIALLY between each other. I loved banter back and forth in Mass Effect games between my chosen troops and having my companions all more or less ignoring one another as they wander the Lucky 38 is.... jarring.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

khy posted:

I hope they get some decent voice actors for the companions and give them plenty of lines of dialog, ESPECIALLY between each other. I loved banter back and forth in Mass Effect games between my chosen troops and having my companions all more or less ignoring one another as they wander the Lucky 38 is.... jarring.

Yeah they even ignore it when NPCs say hi to them.

NCR Ranger: "Hey there"
Follower: :stare:

Then they just follow the NPC with their eyes until they walk past.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Guys I skipped the last five pages of this thread did i miss any super sick gamebryo burns

khy
Aug 15, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

It was even worse in Skyrim when you'd have a husband/wife and son/daughter that would never interact in the slightest way.

I always find the little things are what breathe real life into the games or yank you hard out of any immersion you might have had; little things like companions saying a line or two to one another back and forth would go SUCH a long way towards making them more interesting.

Like, imagine Veronica asking to borrow Arcade's plasma defender and pulling a prank on him.

Or raul trying to strike up a conversation with boone but when he fails he calls boone's conversational skills more decrepit than he is.

Or Cass trying to explain to Lily that she's NOT lily's granddaughter before giving up and walking away.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

2house2fly posted:

Imagine cutscenes from Mass Effect but animated by Bethesda. I'd pay full price just to laugh at those for 50 hours.

Still can't beat Two Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwSIOczNYtg

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

khy posted:

That was simply a tech demo, though. Horribly unpolished and meant to be a test of the new engine is how I understood it. OR did they eventually release more than the tech demo?

No, it was just a tech demo, but even then it's obvious it wouldn't have been an ideal Fallout 3 if you're talking about mainstream popularity and interest, which is what I quoted from you.

Tech demo and later released notes about Van Buren make it obvious we should all be thankful Bethesda made Fallout 3 instead, was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 9, 2015

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

MisterBibs posted:

No, it was just a tech demo, but even then it's obvious it wouldn't have been an ideal Fallout 3 if you're talking about mainstream popularity and interest, which is what I quoted from you.

Tech demo and later released notes about Van Buren make it obvious we should all be thankful Bethesda made Fallout 3 instead, was my point. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

you've made your point that you are a braindead idiot very clear many times in this thread and several others, do not worry about that

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

King Vidiot posted:

Although Boone will murder every Legionnaire you come across. If that's not a reaction I don't know what is. :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

ShadowMar posted:

you've made your point that you are a braindead idiot very clear many times in this thread and several others, do not worry about that
one thing is clear, it is nice that people make games that pander to the cognitively challenged like MisterBibs, we should all be ashamed of how ableist we are with our reading comprehension and analysis of basic game mechanics

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

khy posted:

I hope they get some decent voice actors for the companions and give them plenty of lines of dialog, ESPECIALLY between each other.

All of the companions will be dogs.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

People really liked the design of Megaton, Rivet City, Tenpenny Tower and the historical landmarks in 3, even if they don't make any logical sense if you think about it for a few seconds. New Vegas was mostly desert, small industrial buildings and towns until you got to Freeside. It isn't as visually interesting to look at even though the world is consistent and makes logical sense.

Or to put it another way, a lot of people want the setting in their video games to be video gamey and memorable rather than realistic and mundane.
One of favorite surprises in NV was finding out that there was a fairly extensive sewer system with people from around the slums of New Vegas living down there.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

In my FNV run I just barely picked up pyromaniac perk.

I figured the best thing to do was to grab an incinerator, run to the NCRCF, and murder everyone inside while listening to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYSVaVgFrCg

I loving loved it. Critical hits caused every single limb to explode and every bit of gore was on fire. Half the bodies in the administration building were blazing merrily as I took my leave.

Fallout 4 better have some goddamn amazing fire-based weapons.

khy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mr Cuddles posted:

I love fallout games. All of them. I loved 3 and also new vegas. I love VATS. VATS is great fun. I'm going to play the gently caress out of fallout 4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV95uWFGyo

I always thought you should be able to plant live explosives, but I never realized you actually could.

• Locked thread