Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, gas is back up to $1.10 for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Because they can?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yup. No need for a refinery here. The price of gas is only ten cents below what it was when oil was $40/barrel higher.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Yup. No need for a refinery here. The price of gas is only ten cents below what it was when oil was $40/barrel higher.

That's communist talk, son. The free market has decided. It just so happens to overwhelmingly decide to gently caress over the common man as much as necessary all of the time.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Trade you. We were $1.10 back 2 months ago here in NE Ontario. I think its $1.20 right now, if not $1.24.
I love it, really.
I enjoy getting loving shafted.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, we know your're cunts, don't have to remind us.

I've never seen the costco gas station without a line, let alone unused pumps, and they're 10 cents a liter cheaper than everywhere else. They jumped 13 cents overnight too.

I measured out the powerstroke and lincoln a little more carefully an it looks like it would all fit perfect. from turbo to fan, the powerstroke is shorter than the 460. valvecover to valve cover it's about 4" wider, and would almost be touching the a/c evaporator and brake master cylinder. At he front of the engine, the power steering pump would sit where the 460s huge a/c unit is. I'm just not sure if it would sit low enough in the car for the turbo to tuck in under the cowl.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 4, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So am I better strategically running the van till the tank is empty then switching to the VW which has 2/3rds of a full tank in hopes of strategically waiting this out? Or should I just bite the bullet before it gets higher.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's supposed to be "temporary", but temporary could mean october. by the time the 4 refineries in the midwest get back up, the gulf refineries will be getting murdered by hurricanes.

After i filled up everything at 60 cents, i ran everything empty waiting for it to go back down but it never did :smith:

This time i might just siphen gas out of the lincoln. i've got 85 liters in there, and that's 500km in the lincoln or 1100 in the BMW

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And I was going to try diluting the Kart's fuel mixture this weekend too. I'm not syphoning the premium out of the VW's garbage gas tank for that though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

I've never seen the costco gas station without a line, let alone unused pumps, and they're 10 cents a liter cheaper than everywhere else. They jumped 13 cents overnight too.

Yeah, if you go anywhere from mid-day on it's a lineup. And then you get that inbred jackass that pulls up to the first of 2 pumps and just stops and can't understand why the attendant/person behind asks him to move up.

Costco in Medicine Hat always has open pumps though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

So am I better strategically running the van till the tank is empty then switching to the VW which has 2/3rds of a full tank in hopes of strategically waiting this out? Or should I just bite the bullet before it gets higher.

Convert both vehicles to nitromethane-fuelled V8s, and hire an out-of-work newfie to ride on your hood and burp Screech into the intake scoop for extra MPGs.

slidebite posted:

Yeah, if you go anywhere from mid-day on it's a lineup. And then you get that inbred jackass that pulls up to the first of 2 pumps and just stops and can't understand why the attendant/person behind asks him to move up.

Costco in Medicine Hat always has open pumps though.
I have gone to get Costco gas exactly once in my life and my blood pressure raised so far after spending 15 minutes waiting in line for gas while watching everyone in front of me apparently learn for the first time how to fuel a vehicle that my health simply cannot afford to save the money on their gas.

Superstore has almost the same price but their gas blows through my cars like air.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 5, 2015

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Shell, Costco and Superstore are three readily available stations where premium has no ethanol in it. Costco is always cheaper than Shell, but Superstore has location dependent discounts of 6-10 cents (tied to PC financial cards) that make the price quite reasonable.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Powershift posted:

I measured out the powerstroke and lincoln a little more carefully an it looks like it would all fit perfect. from turbo to fan, the powerstroke is shorter than the 460. valvecover to valve cover it's about 4" wider, and would almost be touching the a/c evaporator and brake master cylinder. At he front of the engine, the power steering pump would sit where the 460s huge a/c unit is. I'm just not sure if it would sit low enough in the car for the turbo to tuck in under the cowl.

Why are you hiding in the bushes? :colbert:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Convert both vehicles to nitromethane-fuelled V8s, and hire an out-of-work newfie to ride on your hood and burp Screech into the intake scoop for extra MPGs.

So would Notley be Tina Turner's character? There's no way she can replace Charlize Theron.

iv46vi posted:

Shell, Costco and Superstore are three readily available stations where premium has no ethanol in it. Costco is always cheaper than Shell, but Superstore has location dependent discounts of 6-10 cents (tied to PC financial cards) that make the price quite reasonable.

Last I heard Costco bought their gas from the lowest bidder. There's so many rumors about this stuff its impossible to keep track. I know Co-op gets their gas from shell though and their premium is ethanol free.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

1500quidporsche posted:

Last I heard Costco bought their gas from the lowest bidder. There's so many rumors about this stuff its impossible to keep track. I know Co-op gets their gas from shell though and their premium is ethanol free.

I thought all premium gas (with the exception if Husky and some of Petro-Canada's) was ethanol-free in Canada?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

Why are you hiding in the bushes? :colbert:

I got banned from the costco because of "the incident" with the mini forklift they left the keys in. The way i see it, if the keys are in it, it's there for anybody to run time trials in the produce section with.

Also, those are the trees they put between the princess auto parking lot and the costco parking lot. I didn't need a pallet of mayo, i needed a led worklight and a whole bunch of other poo poo i didn't know i needed, but they were between the door and the work lights.

I got this thing http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/32-led-work-light/A-p8473647e and it really is unbelievable how poorly made it is. It is too bright to look at, but after 2 hours of use i had to pull it apart and rebuild it, the innards are basically made of razor thin play dough.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

MrChips posted:

I thought all premium gas (with the exception if Husky and some of Petro-Canada's) was ethanol-free in Canada?

Who knows, it could be true. Shell is the only place I've heard where everyone agrees their premium is ethanol free. I basically worked backwards from there anandd figured out they supplied Coop as well.

I don't get get why everybody gets so crazy about it. Unless you're storing the car for a long time or like me and have a 30 year old fuel system you're trying to get another year or two out of before a rebuild there's no harm in using gas with ethanol in it.

Powershift posted:

I got this thing http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/32-led-work-light/A-p8473647e and it really is unbelievable how poorly made it is. It is too bright to look at, but after 2 hours of use i had to pull it apart and rebuild it, the innards are basically made of razor thin play dough.

Princess Auto's electric stuff is pretty suspect. I got some aux headlights for the VW from them and spent more time taking them apart and waterproofing them then I did installing.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

1500quidporsche posted:

Princess Auto's electric stuff is pretty suspect. I got some aux headlights for the VW from them and spent more time taking them apart and waterproofing them then I did installing.

Fixed that for you. I love Princess Auto, but man, their stuff is almost always crap. Not that its not worth buying for the odd-job tool here and there. Or stuff you are likely to lose (or someone else is). My dad/brother stock all the tractor toolboxes with Princess Auto stuff since its the most likely to get lost/go missing/etc.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

For some reason the SC really likes ethanol. Like, it's an 80-100 km difference per tank between Husky E10 and Shell pure gas. Just started tracking it on fuelly to get real numbers.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm scouting for the next hour. The Toyota is all bondo and I poked a hole in the frame with my finger.

They have 2 5 speed ttop z cars though

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

I'm scouting for the next hour. The Toyota is all bondo and I poked a hole in the frame with my finger.

They have 2 5 speed ttop z cars though

Anything in the 70s era that looks runnable?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Good Lord your new av man :stare:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Good Lord your new av man :stare:

14 did a bang up job on this one.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

nope. there's a z31 and 2 z32s, all 5 speed with t-tops.

Trip report:

-That blue toyota is rusty crusty turn to dusty.
-the SRT-4 is missing the turbo, but has "50 trim" stickers on the doorsills which is some special aftermarket parts package. it has an external wastegate, boost controller, blitz blow off valve, perrin fuel rail and aftermarket injectors(and i'm guessing fuel pump). if i had to guess, it could have been 350-450whp, and most of the rods probably look like pretzels.
-There's a manual 4x4 isuzu trooper with big beefy nearly new tires going near the end that might go for the value of the tires.
-The mazda 6 with no keys doesn't look too ragged out. the infiniti does.
-It seems bedliner is the new in thing. on the pickup they did it right over bolt on fender flares and bug deflector. seems to have been done recently too, which is a lot to spend on a truck with 500k on it.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
What the gently caress is the deal with coating a bumper, or an entire truck, with bedliner? :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Mooseykins posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with coating a bumper, or an entire truck, with bedliner? :stare:

The bumper makes sense. Everything but however......

Trican dumped a bunch of basically new gas 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab 2015 f250s here, they started at 30k and they're dropping. Sticker on them is probably north of 50k.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

The bumper makes sense. Everything but however......

Trican dumped a bunch of basically new gas 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab 2015 f250s here, they started at 30k and they're dropping. Sticker on them is probably north of 50k.

Don't buy those. They're clean, but they idle 24/7 for days and days, never get oil changes and the supervisors bag on them for fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

There was a dude in a JDM-something with a massive fart-pipe driving (terribly) around the central north 'burbs today; I hope to god it wasn't one of you lot.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

jonathan posted:

Don't buy those. They're clean, but they idle 24/7 for days and days, never get oil changes and the supervisors bag on them for fun.

Would probably make a good winter truck. They're gonna rot away from the salt some not gonna be a huge issue if the engine doesn't last forever.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

I'm talking new new. 2015, 74 kms(not 74k)

Everything went pretty high other than the high end trucks. there were a fuckton of people there. You could have picked any 10 cars out of the last sale and dumped them here for $1k profit. A ragged out rebuilt title 01 focus went for $1600, just nuts.

i ducked out mid day to check out ritchie bros so missed most of the trucks. Saw this tank at ritchie bros, they remove the sticker, so i couldn't tell what company it came from.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I'm talking new new. 2015, 74 kms(not 74k)

Everything went pretty high other than the high end trucks. there were a fuckton of people there. You could have picked any 10 cars out of the last sale and dumped them here for $1k profit. A ragged out rebuilt title 01 focus went for $1600, just nuts.

i ducked out mid day to check out ritchie bros so missed most of the trucks. Saw this tank at ritchie bros, they remove the sticker, so i couldn't tell what company it came from.

Haha holy poo poo that's an old tank. I used to pull 2270 which was a cement air can. Build date was 1979, the company started in 96... So many plate patches on the frame to fix cracks. It had no abs and the brakes were way too tight. I bitched about it in here before. If you stopped too hard the trailer would end up in the other lane. Sketchy as gently caress, always. I complained about it every week during the winter. Wrote up pretrips etc.

Finally one day I had enough I said gently caress it I'm not going out tonight until that trailer is fixed or condemned. They got all pissy, that night they had some supervisor who barely drove a truck ever take it out for a run. He turned around within 20 minutes after almost sideswiping a cop car, brought it back and the next day it was parked with an OOS sign.

That company made me racist towards Newfies.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 7, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Both the results and original auction listings are up for the auction yesterday, you can match em up to see what poo poo is worth. just select period> 2015-jun on the right hand side.

http://market.maauctions.com/automarketreport.aspx

Also, it's perfectly ok to talk poo poo about newfies, because the people most racist towards newfies are other newfies. Until you talk poo poo about newfoundland itself, at which point they all band together as if they're blood brothers.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I drove from Saskatoon to Ft. McMurray today, and I have to say I'm surprised by how normal Ft. Mac. appears. I'm far enough north that sunset is happening now (almost 11pm) but other than that, it's a fairly normal western Canadian mid-sized city. I was honestly expecting to see Ferraris and Lambos and other exotics, but all I saw on highway 63 was a Mercedes wagon-thing that probably costs as much as a house in Edmonton, and a riced-up Mitsubishi with a stupid spoiler. Obviously, the oil-price fall and associated economic downturn are the driving factors, but I kind of regret not seeing as many ludicrous Italian cars as a typical Top Gear episode. And highway 63 was nowhere near as intimidating as I had been led to believe. For one thing, the twinning is happening at a cracking pace, and the construction zones - which are frequent but mostly short - are fairly well-behaved.

I did find myself at the front of a train, so I pulled over for a break at the next "safety rest stop". I was doing about 105 in an undivided part with a posted limit of 100, which I know is on the slow side, but the reason (besides basic road courtesy) I pulled over was the increasing aggression from the assholes on the road. I'd rather be just generally aware of the assholes, rather than be able to identify them as individuals; when the second dickhead decided to pass the ENTIRE LINE of vehicles (8-10 pickups, occassional non-pickup-cars are around, but uncommon) right at the "NO PASSING" sign as we entered another construction-zone-slowdown (100 -> 80 -> 50, fines are doubled and workers were present) I thought *not* pushing buttons on some coked-up oilsands grunt was the wiser choice. The fleet vehicles were almost entirely very politely driven, which I expected. That "gently caress EVERYONE" driver was doubly stupid, they fell back to - you guessed it - about 105 after getting in front. Some people can't seem to handle the presence of other vehicles on the road, and never look in their rearviews. I was quite aware of the train behind me, I assure you, but safe places to get out of the way are around 10-20 km apart on most of 63.

I took Highway 55 to 63, up from just west of Lloydminster and most of those roads look like they'd be great fun in something sporty. I miss my BMW, but my Ranger is doing very well. It's just NOT "sporty".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I drove from Saskatoon to Ft. McMurray today, and I have to say I'm surprised by how normal Ft. Mac. appears. I'm far enough north that sunset is happening now (almost 11pm) but other than that, it's a fairly normal western Canadian mid-sized city. I was honestly expecting to see Ferraris and Lambos and other exotics, but all I saw on highway 63 was a Mercedes wagon-thing that probably costs as much as a house in Edmonton, and a riced-up Mitsubishi with a stupid spoiler. Obviously, the oil-price fall and associated economic downturn are the driving factors, but I kind of regret not seeing as many ludicrous Italian cars as a typical Top Gear episode. And highway 63 was nowhere near as intimidating as I had been led to believe. For one thing, the twinning is happening at a cracking pace, and the construction zones - which are frequent but mostly short - are fairly well-behaved.

Lifted trucks man, it's all stupid lifted trucks.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Oh, trust me, I saw plenty of those. The combination of big stupid lift and murdered-out black-on-black-on-black (headlights? what are headlights?) is very common. As I was typing the above, a white-with-black-racing-stripes Camaro peeled away from the traffic lights outside my hotel window (I'm on the ground floor), followed by a much more sedate Subaru that might or might not have been an actual WRX STi (or a lesser model wearing a body kit).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Isn't that Ranger super great? What a calm little truck those are.

It's too bad they stopped making them as part of their pursuit to make trucks as wide and tall as possible to carry loads that only worksite guys and guys who spend a lot of time backing up in the parking lot of Burnco use.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

What do you mean you only want a truck big enough to meet your needs and not the biggest truck you can HELOC your house to get? What are you gay or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Powershift posted:

Both the results and original auction listings are up for the auction yesterday, you can match em up to see what poo poo is worth. just select period> 2015-jun on the right hand side.

http://market.maauctions.com/automarketreport.aspx

Also, it's perfectly ok to talk poo poo about newfies, because the people most racist towards newfies are other newfies. Until you talk poo poo about newfoundland itself, at which point they all band together as if they're blood brothers.
Some of those went surprisingly high, especially considering (I assume?) there is a buyers premium on top of that.

In Reno right now. Probably saw half dozen AB plated Harleys* in my hotel parkade.

*4 are on trailers

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Watching the ritchie bros auction right now too. I bought the mack for $17,500 in 2011, beat the piss out of it, and a truck identical to it just went for $20k
oilfield stuff is going low which makes sense. Multi-use stuff is going high which makes none.

You can buy a vac truck for the same as a bare truck, and sell the $100k vac unit for scrap and come out ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Isn't that Ranger super great? What a calm little truck those are.

It's too bad they stopped making them as part of their pursuit to make trucks as wide and tall as possible to carry loads that only worksite guys and guys who spend a lot of time backing up in the parking lot of Burnco use.

What's the deal with newer pickups having such short beds? What the gently caress do you do with a bed barely larger than a kitchen stove?

I don't know poo poo about pickup trucks so I'm genuinely curious.