Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Arglebargle III posted:

The first thing there is the opposite of true, the animations are dependent on how far you are from the enemy. The only way you won't connect is if you're too far for a big twirly jumping attack to connect.
They can also dodge, most smaller monsters will use dodging to avoid being hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I get the feeling that smaller and more agile enemies like to backhop because your default moveset will fling you forward contextually. So it's like an arms race of hoppy bastards trying to stab/claw each other.

Speaking of Dark Souls being overrated. Rolly dodgy bastards is exactly why I dislike PvP in that game.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Just like every open world game, it seems that I've out-leveled the main questline. I've got "The Final Trial" in my queue and I'm almost level 23. The side quests are just so drat tempting.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The first thing there is the opposite of true, the animations are dependent on how far you are from the enemy. The only way you won't connect is if you're too far for a big twirly jumping attack to connect.

And that's precisely the problem and you've just reiterated what I wrote - Geralt has canned animations for his attacks, but he does not close the distance, he simply uses the longer ones when an enemy is farther away and hopefully it'll hit. The animations are not changed depending on the distance, I can't choose one and I don't have a ruler on the screen in order to know if I've broken the threshold - game like Shadow of Mordor or the Batman Arkham series just let your attacks close the distance by the way of jumping (sometimes almost teleporting) to the enemy and then attacking. This system does not do that.

quote:

The second thing is a problem, but I hope you know that you can control which direction Geralt attack with the movement controls. Yes, the soft-lock can be a real pain in the rear end, but if you tap the move control Geralt will soft-lock onto the nearest enemy in that direction instead of the one the camera is looking at. You don't have to rely on the camera controls for lock-on.

The combat tutorial does a really bad job imo, the tutorial has you fight a single human opponent when that is by far the most trivial combat situation you will ever encounter.

Yes, and like I said, if you know how to get around the combat system's problems, it's workable, but I feel like there's a weird dichotomy here: Geralt twirling around willy-nilly and deciding when he's actually in combat, regardless of what I'd like to have him do, takes control from the hands of the player and places it in the hands of the game. But, in order for that exchange to actually work, I have to stay on top of the game's shenanigans and quickly correct its faults, so why not give me full control and not bother with this half-baked system? There have been plenty of instances in which I wanted Geralt to actually go into combat mode or out of combat mode, but I can't initiate the change myself, it's up to the game's whims. Hell, just have a total no-combat zones in which no fighting can take place (cities, civilian enclaves etc.), but otherwise, drawing your sword=combat mode; I've also had Geralt sheathe his sword while in combat mode, but he wouldn't draw it again, and by the time I noticed he's trying to punch the monster to death I was already on the brink of death.

All the tutorials in the world will not do away with the fundamental problems of the combat system, which might be few, but they're prominent. Having to actually take notice of what I do in combat let me see them and plan around them, but I very much doubt that repeat playthroughs will be on higher than Normal difficulty, if that - the combat is definitely one of the game's weaker suits.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thunder Moose posted:

I am finding that at around level 22 or so - leveling becomes a real pain as most of the quests are well below the level-threshold to earn XP... Puzzling.

From a while ago, but start doing the main quests again. Act 2 will literally have you leveling up multiple times off of single quests.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Goddamn it, What's-His-Face on Bald Mountain, he keeps killing my rear end. I've got his first pattern down but when he starts teleporting around like crazy and poo poo, I can't keep up and he stunlocks my rear end and I die. Blizzard helps but is there anything more I can do? Does Yrden work any?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Near the end, is it possible to resolve the situation with Madman Lugos peacefully?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can you buy superior northern wind anywhere? Only bomb upgrade I'm missing...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Wiseblood posted:

Near the end, is it possible to resolve the situation with Madman Lugos peacefully?

Either way you answer has the same result

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Quote-Unquote posted:

This game has finally knocked Ultima VII off my number one all time game spot.

Feeling equal parts pride and rage.

Sluitstripje
Feb 7, 2008

Does anyone know of a way to increase the font size even more on PC. Even after patch 1.0.5 it's difficult to read all the way from the couch, or it might just be my tired ol' eyes.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

To those of you who've finished one run and are going back for a second go, how the hell are you doing that? I'm only just approaching the end now after playing since launch and I feel like I've played the hell out of this game. It's not like the game locks you into a specific play style since you can respec at any time, and I can sort of see why you'd want to go for the different endings but to play through 50 or 60 hours for it when you already know the plot seems a bit much.

I mean this might be my favourite game of all time but once I finish it I'm not going to touch it again until the expansions come out.

vvv even that's a hell of a long time, but I'm probably just getting old or something.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jun 9, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You could run through the story in half that time or perhaps even less if you just ignore side quests

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

You could run through the story in half that time or perhaps even less if you just ignore side quests

why would you play it that way though

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Feeling equal parts pride and rage.

I still have a way to go before I finish, but even at this point I am pretty content to say that this is my favourite game of all time. Well done to you and everyone else at CDPR.

Reading this thread, it's always funny to see how some imperfections wear on the nerves of others, and yet I have barely been bothered.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Gilganixon posted:

To those of you who've finished one run and are going back for a second go, how the hell are you doing that? I'm only just approaching the end now after playing since launch and I feel like I've played the hell out of this game. It's not like the game locks you into a specific play style since you can respec at any time, and I can sort of see why you'd want to go for the different endings but to play through 50 or 60 hours for it when you already know the plot seems a bit much.

I mean this might be my favourite game of all time but once I finish it I'm not going to touch it again until the expansions come out.

vvv even that's a hell of a long time, but I'm probably just getting old or something.

I'm about 50 or so hours in but a couple mistakes (Yen/Triss stuff and missing cards) have started to annoy me enough that a replay now makes more sense than finishing the ga,e and starting over then, at least this way I'll have the stuff I didn't reach to look forward to.

EDIT: How did you guys handle the POIs? Did you grab them all in one go or spread them out?

FAKE EDIT: Skellige really does have the best music and atmosphere.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
people still comparing the merits of Triss and Yen when the correct and canonical answer is clearly Vernon Roche

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

It is but it's not nearly as long as you make out

Schurik posted:

why would you play it that way though

If you've done all the side quests before and just want to see the story again/see the other ways it could have gone if you'd done things differently, why wouldn't you do it like that?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

Gilganixon posted:

Big Daddy Geralt Mode. Death March, subtitles off, all HUD off except the health bar, turn the music off too if that floats your boat. The game becomes 10x more immersive when you aren't following the minimap, the combat is really methodical while forcing you to use all your tools, and you can appreciate the dialogue a lot more without feeling compelled to speed mash the space bar. Definitely no longer willing to binge on the game, but it's really fun to pick up for a few hours after I'm done with life for the day.

There's also knowing how to get the exact results you want from your choices in the game which is pretty satisfying. And an insane amount of content you can miss even with a 100+ hr save that you can stumble upon during a second playthrough.

Thunderbro fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 9, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I let loose a greater evil because I wanted to save those dumb adorable kids from those still-pretty-evil witches. I also did it before starting the Baron quest and I think I managed to not gently caress things over for that one.

The fact that it looks like the kids got rescued even without it even being an option to ask the evil tree what to do kind of makes it feel like a random act of charity by Black Beauty, Destroyer Pony.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I'm still not convinced that tree was "Evil". The only source we have for that is the crones, and that fanfiction book about them.

During the "Bald Mountain" quest later in the game, someone mentions that the mountain and the surrounding areas was home to a circle of druids before the Crones appeared and drove them away. That seems to fit into the story of the tree where it says that the Crones killed his physical form because they wanted the land.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

During the "Bald Mountain" quest later in the game, someone mentions that the mountain and the surrounding areas was home to a circle of druids before the Crones appeared and drove them away. That seems to fit into the story of the tree where it says that the Crones killed his physical form because they wanted the land.
That was my thinking, until I exhumed the remains and Geralt remarked they clearly weren't human. Don't gently caress with me, talking tree.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ain't said nothin' 'bout bein' no human druid.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
It would be kinda neat if it turned out the spirit in the tree was some kind of ancient Leshen. Aren't they kind of druidic?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I let loose a greater evil because I wanted to save those dumb adorable kids from those still-pretty-evil witches. I also did it before starting the Baron quest and I think I managed to not gently caress things over for that one.

The fact that it looks like the kids got rescued even without it even being an option to ask the evil tree what to do kind of makes it feel like a random act of charity by Black Beauty, Destroyer Pony.

The Crones are without a doubt at the top of the most unpleasant, evil, and disgusting mountain of poo poo in the game. This is expanded in disgusting detail later in the game. If you read some of the books found in the quests leading up to freeing it, Black Beauty is actually a druid (and a benevolent force of nature) that was imprisoned by the crones, and the Downwarren peasants are truly awful, aberrant human monsters enabling the most terrible of fiends. Velen can basically summed up as 50 Shades of poo poo, and it's really pleasing to do literally anything that throws a wrench into the Crones' bullshit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Man why you gotta make me feel good about the things I do in this game

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
That's why I love W3's writing so much. If you look closely and figure out the real story instead of just jumping into a decision, many of the consequences that seem immediately bad turn out to be supremely satisfying in the end. The whole Bloody Baron line is an awesome introduction to that whole fairy tale aspect!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'd feel too bad about freeing the demon pony since the Bloody Baron and Anna both die

Though I remember being told that if you free the pony before the Crones tell you to do it, that doesn't happen so you could have your cake and eat it too

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ah the crones aren't that bad. They keep the peasants from being terrorised by the military and apparently cured a plague. I figured better the devil you know when it came to the sinister tree spirit.

Sure they eat the odd kid, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
Nah I am not buying the benevolent druid tree story. I read the books you mentioned, and I'm not sure you got the same account from them I did. One of them ('She Who Knows', I think) says that the Crones saved the region from their mad mother by imprisoning her in a tree, though I didn't buy that as a wholly truthful retelling of events. I figured they're both bad news, and I was more willing to let the status quo lie for a while than let loose some unknown entity. As for the villagers of Downwarren, what they do is despicable, but as the Ealdorman says, they're living in a war-torn shithole flooded with monsters and marauding soldiery, and they're having to seek their own protectors. It's a horrid state of affairs, yes, but it's an imperfect world.

Yeah, the Crones are terribly evil, but I reasoned it's better the devil I knew - and I planned on returning to rid the world of them as soon as the narrative allowed.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still not convinced that tree was "Evil". The only source we have for that is the crones, and that fanfiction book about them.

Druids aren't the benevolent lovers of trees in the Witcher universe like they are in something like WoW.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Verranicus posted:

Druids aren't the benevolent lovers of trees in the Witcher universe like they are in something like WoW.

Yeah, I don't think the tree is necessarily "benevolent", but one thing that speaks in it's favor is that it actually keeps it's word about saving the kids. My pet theory at the moment is that the spirit in the tree is some sort of Ancient Leshen, or similiar druidic monster.

Scandalous posted:

Nah I am not buying the benevolent druid tree story. I read the books you mentioned, and I'm not sure you got the same account from them I did. One of them ('She Who Knows', I think) says that the Crones saved the region from their mad mother by imprisoning her in a tree, though I didn't buy that as a wholly truthful retelling of events. I figured they're both bad news, and I was more willing to let the status quo lie for a while than let loose some unknown entity. As for the villagers of Downwarren, what they do is despicable, but as the Ealdorman says, they're living in a war-torn shithole flooded with monsters and marauding soldiery, and they're having to seek their own protectors. It's a horrid state of affairs, yes, but it's an imperfect world.

Yeah, the Crones are terribly evil, but I reasoned it's better the devil I knew - and I planned on returning to rid the world of them as soon as the narrative allowed.

"She Who Knows" was the one I mentioned as Crone fanfiction. I really don't see the Crones imprisoning the entitiy out of the goodness of their heart, and their love for the people of Velen. It feels more like some sort of folk tale written by the peasants that worship them.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 9, 2015

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
God the Crones are such well-written characters. They're three hell onions just waiting for you to dig deeper. Looking forward to later reactions :allears:

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd feel too bad about freeing the demon pony since the Bloody Baron and Anna both die

Though I remember being told that if you free the pony before the Crones tell you to do it, that doesn't happen so you could have your cake and eat it too

Yeah, but that's really the only negative result. The Baron dies, but that was his own choice. It's also the only choice that actually frees Anna from the Crones as far as you ever learn. Baron still fucks off forever no matter what you do. There's also no evidence that the Druid is evil in any way except killing a village of shitheels and the rest of the Druids are super solid good guys.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

"She Who Knows" was the one I mentioned as Crone fanfiction. I really don't see the Crones imprisoning the entitiy out of the goodness of their heart, and their love for the people of Velen. It feels more like some sort of folk tale written by the peasants that worship them.
Yeah I agree, I reckon the Crones did it for uncontested dominion over Velen, and they like being worshipped and sacrificed to. It's definitely not an unbiased source, but if my other choice is 'trust a giant pulsating glob in the middle of a haunted tree surrounded by werewolves and dead villagers', I'm not going to leap to free it.

Thunderbro posted:

Yeah, but that's really the only negative result. There's also no evidence that the Druid is evil in any way except killing a village of shitheels and the rest of the Druids are super solid good guys.
I really don't think it's a druid.

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just finished with a game time of 64 hours. What a great game. Time to go back and read the books aside from The Last Wish.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Manatee Cannon posted:

Is that true? You can free the tree without getting the Baron killed?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Scandalous posted:

Yeah I agree, I reckon the Crones did it for uncontested dominion over Velen, and they like being worshipped and sacrificed to. It's definitely not an unbiased source, but if my other choice is 'trust a giant pulsating glob in the middle of a haunted tree surrounded by werewolves and dead villagers', I'm not going to leap to free it.

Hey man, you're a Witcher. If it does turn out to be the greater evil you can always kill it later.

...is what I said when I brought the pesta out of the tower. Couldn't have just let me stick around 'til that one played out, could you game? :argh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I took that talent that raises your toxicity limit based on how many recipes you have and now I'm totally sold on alchemy. I wandered into a cave while exploring where a level 31 Poisonous Arachne was chilling with his buds. I popped Superior Golden Oriole (poison heals you), popped the decoction that makes you do more damage with each hit as long as you don't get hit (poison doesn't count), Superior Insectoid Oil on my sword and downed a Superior Thunderbolt. My level 23 Geralt flew through the room just absolutely destroying the nest. Got some Witcher gear upgrades to boot.I'll definitely start putting my points there. Signs are good but feel anemic compared to the pure output of alchemy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks to the Alchemy toxicity+ skill I went from being a social drinker to being completely hammered on decoctails all the drat time. I think I'm going green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Thanks to the Alchemy toxicity+ skill I went from being a social drinker to being completely hammered on decoctails all the drat time. I think I'm going green.

My Geralt constantly looks like a 5000 year old sith lord.