Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

spudsbuckley posted:

The Beach Boys loving suck.

We get it.

Good times at the loving beach.
I don't like the surfer rock stuff, but Pet Sounds is an amazing album that was a game changer for the genre. You can hate the Beach Boys but the technical brilliance of that album is indisputable.

CrashCat posted:

Are they really this bluntly two-faced?
Yes.

Remember when they spent all that time trashing foreign films because no one wants to read subtitles? And then like the next day Louis CK was in studio talking about how Americans ignore brilliant films because they're too stupid and lazy to read subtitles and they were all like, "That's so true! You're absolutely right!"

In short, they're all morons.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

They constantly admit to being two faced to get guests/celebrity photos though.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Oh god I don't want to even listen to their Beach Boys/Beatles discussion, I love both of those bands a ton and anything they say will be a travesty.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
One of my favorite moments on the show was a few years ago when the Beatles catalogue was re-mastered and O&A starting trashing it, saying how stupid it was, then they started to listen to it, and instantly realized it sounded so much better and they all couldn't wait to buy it. I believe this also had edgy Opie declaring he hated early Beatles because it's "pop poo poo".

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
I really enjoyed the Bennington John Taffer/Bar Rescue trashing yesterday though, that was funny and accurate "Let's call it Corporate Bar cause there are a lot of corporations around here, we will have booths that look like cubicles, cause office workers love feeling like they're still in the office for happy hour!"

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Love is a tiny lion holding a donut!
nothing edgier than claiming to hate the beatles

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

TL posted:

One of my favorite moments on the show was a few years ago when the Beatles catalogue was re-mastered and O&A starting trashing it, saying how stupid it was, then they started to listen to it, and instantly realized it sounded so much better and they all couldn't wait to buy it. I believe this also had edgy Opie declaring he hated early Beatles because it's "pop poo poo".

Does Opie still do the thing where he says he likes the beatles drug stuff and all he can name is lucy in the sky with diamonds

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The only funny thing Opie ever did with music was the bit where they figured out AC/DC uses the n-word in Highway to Hell. They completely doubted the caller and then the reaction in studio was terrific when it was played.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
And then they tried to throw it at everyone, and literally killed the joke. That was painful to listen to.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I couldn't stop giggling at Jimmy Boll today.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
If the OandA subreddit is to be believed, Sam and Opie had a blowout. Opie was mocking Sam going against Bennington to which Sam replied "At least I'm not doing a morning zoo show. I'll leave that to you." Opie then flipped out.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Chromatic posted:

If the OandA subreddit is to be believed, Sam and Opie had a blowout. Opie was mocking Sam going against Bennington to which Sam replied "At least I'm not doing a morning zoo show. I'll leave that to you." Opie then flipped out.

Dumb me I went and looked up info on it and there's no timestamped audio or anything.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Chromatic posted:

Please let this be true

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
Another Opie meltdown? Links please.

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
someone transcribed ant:

"I heard some stuff... oof... a couple of thingsss. I heard some things about, er, Sam and the, er, the Opie, er Radio ...things ...oh, it was loving great. [Says goodbye to caller] ...You want some, er, gossip? [rubs palms together] You want some SiriusXM gossip? [continues rubbing] ...Do ya? ... Bet ya do!"
"Err, here's what I heard - and I think you can confirm this because it went out live over the air - erm, I guess at some point... Opie was telling Sam-- and this was the day that Sam was gonna be starting his new show 'The Sam Roberts Show, weekdays at noon' on, of course, Sirius Satellite Radio. I love Sammy, Sam's a good boy, he's very talented. Erm, so he said-- he-- Opie starts saying to Sam, on the air, he goes, er, [in an exagerrated voice] 'Well you know, you're going to be doing your show against Ron Bennington', he goes 'I told ya not to but Sam insisted that he wanted to, er, do a show, er, against Ron Bennington'."
"Err, and, and Sam who obviously didn't wanna do a show against Ron Bennington, he actually wanted a different time slot ...err, somehow they put him against Ron Bennington at the same time... So Sam I think was getting a little miffed at that, and turned to Opie and said 'Well, at least I'm not doing a Morning Zoo show. I'll leave that to you'. [Keith the Cuck chimes in: 'Ooooooowh'] ...Yes ...So I then hear tell, and this I heard went out over the air. But here's the juicy part [rubs palms together and grins at the camera] when the mics shut off, er, Opie ripped his headphones off, threw them on the console and said 'What the gently caress was that!? What are you trying to make me look like a loving rear end in a top hat!?' ...And everybody in the studio started, you know, tip-toeing on those Greggshells, you know [chuckles and gestures two little men standing on eggshells using his fingers and making sound effects]".
"Erm, so the Sam went off to do his show later on, a show by the way that was supposed to have a guest, Gregg 'Opie' Hughes was supposed to stop in. Because Sam is doing a show from the Lincoln Centre studios of SiriusXM, which is Columbia Circle/Lincoln Studios around there ...Which is LITERALLY a hop, one skip and a half a jump from Opie's er, er, apartment ...[Shakes head and whispers] Opie didn't show... Didn't show... And, er, you will nary hear a plug for The Sam Robert Show on Opie Raqio."
"...Like it? ...Juicy enough for ya? [rubs palms together] ...Little radio battle going on there. That's how it is. That's what's going on. So there seems to be a little disagreement going on between, err, Sammy Roberts and, err, Gregg 'Opie' Hughes. We'll see how that goes. But they pushed Sam way away from the building, he's over at Lincoln Centre, erm, so we'll see how that pans out."

Tr33
May 26, 2007

Well I mean, he is doing a morning zoo show. I'm just waiting for the day the hole shows up at this point.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tr33 posted:

Well I mean, he is doing a morning zoo show. I'm just waiting for the day the hole shows up at this point.

... he is the hole.

Tr33
May 26, 2007

The Dave posted:

... he is the hole.

How did I forget?

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Jim just needs to get away and let it truly become Opie Radio so he can take callers, pretend he knows all the bits/references and talk about news and how to go viral. It could quite literally be the Opie and Todd Pettengill show.

However, it's either a lie or damage control

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
of course the story is bullshit. Opie might not like the term morning zoo but he knows that the show is turning into a mainstream radio show. He's intentionally making it into one. And frankly out of everybody on the staff Sam saying that would have the least impact on Opie since Sam has plenty of his own corny poo poo.

Anthony made this up to promote the Sam Roberts show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Bubba Smith posted:

of course the story is bullshit. Opie might not like the term morning zoo but he knows that the show is turning into a mainstream radio show. He's intentionally making it into one. And frankly out of everybody on the staff Sam saying that would have the least impact on Opie since Sam has plenty of his own corny poo poo.

It's funny that O&J has so few listeners that the rumor was able to gain traction in every O&A community.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

Tr33 posted:

Sherrod Small is opie's Robin.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I listened to all of the O&J show yesterday and didn't hear either Opie or Sam say anything like what is being described.

Thought it went out over the air?

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

Bubba Smith posted:

I'm not sure about that. However it's at least the second time he's now started talking badly about Opie when his own show is receiving criticism.

Both times it has been pandering to the subreddit , using the current insults of the day and basically validating all the terrible fan fiction & gossip.

The source of this is a friend of a friend and despite it going out over the air neither Anthony nor any of the people from reddit can actually find the audio. Seems legit.

Tonight on TACS, Bam Margera talks about Opie's wife

Stotty fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 11, 2015

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ant is coming over a bit desperate with his attempts to cause drama on the show he was fired from.

The only time Opie has really brought him up since the firing was in response to Ant doing the whole Greggshells thing.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's funny that O&J has so few listeners that the rumor was able to gain traction in every O&A community.
They must be desperate for something to happen, because anyone who's listened for a long while should know that Sam would always say things just right to stir poo poo up without catching any poo poo himself. Would have been more believable if they said Erock did it while chewing on a hoagie.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Opie: Michael Strahan always used to do our show before....

Jim: Well, he only did it once.

Opie: Really, I thought it was more than once.

Haha, you just know Jim wishes he could call him out on all this bullshit daily. He probably hates coming into the show everyday and just wishes he could pair up with Ant when his NYC studio is up and going but Sirius $ is hard to walk away from

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Opie: Michael Strahan always used to do our show before....

Jim: Well, he only did it once.

Opie: Really, I thought it was more than once.

Haha, you just know Jim wishes he could call him out on all this bullshit daily. He probably hates coming into the show everyday and just wishes he could pair up with Ant when his NYC studio is up and going but Sirius $ is hard to walk away from

Yeah, not only that, Sirius is by and large is the only reason his comedy shows are pulling in several hundred to a couple thousand vs a few dozen.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dear SiriusXM -
Cancel OpieRadio, add Sam Roberts to Bennington, and I'll resubscribe tomorrow.

FarmerHank
Jan 6, 2011

farming techniques vary
I was listening to Opie Radio yesterday because of that rumor. Supposedly the incident happened on the show the day of the first weekly SRS. Nothing. Listened to the Episode a week later, Sam was still on Opie Radio being normal Sam.

Ant is playing games trying to ring in any non "white power" audience. I really don't get way Ant has to talk about "race" every drat show, I always found Ant funny but it's the one reason I will never subscribe. Anthony has gone in the deep end now with the signing of Gavin but I can't wait till Gavin burns that bridge. Anthony/Gavin fallout with happen.

Oh and I was listening to the Opie Radio ep where Opie thought Colin Quinn's new book really was a coloring book. He had to be joking, it sounded like he was joking. It's the only reason he would have repeated it eight times.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

FarmerHank posted:

Oh and I was listening to the Opie Radio ep where Opie thought Colin Quinn's new book really was a coloring book. He had to be joking, it sounded like he was joking. It's the only reason he would have repeated it eight times.

Generally when Opie gets caught being dumb, he'll turn it into a joke which he'll then beat into the ground to make it seem like he was joking from the beginning.

The only specific time I can recall is when he thought Rob Schneider's sitcom was called "iRob" to ride the iPod/iPad popularity wave. It was actually just called Rob but stylized like ¡Rob! because it was about a Mexican family. For like a week after making that mistake, Opie would be like "so, I saw another commercial for IROB last night, ha ha am I right guys!"

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

why does Sam still work on O&J if he has his own show now?

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

why does Sam still work on O&J if he has his own show now?
Because :laffo: if you think he gets paid any more

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

An Enormous Boner fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

CrashCat posted:

Because :laffo: if you think he gets paid any more

This is to build his 'portfolio,' which is code for 'he's afraid to go off on his own and succeed/fail.' So he's sticking with Opie for an easy paycheck at the expense of building his own career.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
I hope we can eventually go a whole show where Jimmy doesn't bring up feet.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Jim'll move on to a new thing eventually.

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.

Under the vegetable posted:

Jim'll move on to a new thing eventually.

Perhaps hats.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

livingfruitvirus posted:

I hope we can eventually go a whole show where Jimmy doesn't bring up feet.

Dr. Ruth was kind of a bitch about that whole thing, but it was so uncomfortable that I'm glad Dave Atell was there to conduct the interview and keep things light. I don't think I could have taken Jim and Opie attacking an 87 year old legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Opie is going to be on Sams show next week so it looks like Ants story was utter bullshit.

Must be trying to double his subscriber base to 4 people with the scoopz on his old co-workers.

• Locked thread