Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

hellfaucet posted:

No, I don't have a problem. :colbert:

that room must smell amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

You will be fine. I intentionally make my IIPAs with that high of a theoretical IBU rating.

That's good to know. I know there are definitely IPAs out there with crazy high theoretical numbers and I know that the the supposed actual limit is somewhere just north of 100 IBU. There's a recipe in Radical Brewing that calculates out at 400 something IBU because there is something like half a pound of hops at like 5 minutes.

I'll probably let it sit in secondary for a month to mellow both the potential 9.2% ABV and possible overshoot in bitterness.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jo3sh posted:

Wait... you ended up with 4 gallons at 1.059 rather than 5 gallons at 1.047?

You realize that's only one point of extract off, right? You could throw a gallon of water into that and call it a direct hit.

(47*5)+1 = 59*4

At worst, you have some issue with predicting your boiloff rate.

Can I add the top off after fermentation wraps up? I know further aeration at that point is a bad thing... But my boil kettle has a ball valve on it. So would it be feasible to boil the top off water, transfer it via the valve and tube gently into the fermenter, then proceed with my cold-conditioning?

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but an extra gallon means I get to share/drink that much more with friends.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Scarf posted:

Can I add the top off after fermentation wraps up? I know further aeration at that point is a bad thing... But my boil kettle has a ball valve on it. So would it be feasible to boil the top off water, transfer it via the valve and tube gently into the fermenter, then proceed with my cold-conditioning?

I know it's not a HUGE deal, but an extra gallon means I get to share/drink that much more with friends.

You could taste the finished beer, taste it mixed with 20% water, and decide if the dilution hurts it. Otherwise I don't think your plans sounds bad. Disclaimer: I'd just live with having 4gal and get started on the next batch sooner.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Scarf posted:

Yeah, you could do that. Boiling and cooling the water will sanitize and degas it, so the risk is pretty small. There's even a recipe in Papazian where he does that on purpose to make a low-alcohol beer while getting a complex flavor from a high-gravity ferment.

I'd probably just drink the 4 gallons, though, and adjust my process for next time.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ChickenArise posted:

You could taste the finished beer, taste it mixed with 20% water, and decide if the dilution hurts it. Otherwise I don't think your plans sounds bad. Disclaimer: I'd just live with having 4gal and get started on the next batch sooner.

Jo3sh posted:

Yeah, you could do that. Boiling and cooling the water will sanitize and degas it, so the risk is pretty small. There's even a recipe in Papazian where he does that on purpose to make a low-alcohol beer while getting a complex flavor from a high-gravity ferment.

I'd probably just drink the 4 gallons, though, and adjust my process for next time.

Yeah, I'll probably just leave it alone.

Also, I think I figured out why I was a gallon off... It wasn't the boil-off, I'm just an idiot and forgot to account for the dead space in my mash tun. :ughh:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
So I have 10 gallons of mead in fermenters that will accompany me camping late this summer :getin:

What I just realized though is that there will only be enough refrigeration (read: ice) for a few bottles at a time to be cooled, the rest will be in enormously oppressive heat. This means backsweetening with real sugar is a disaster. It also feels impractical to pasteurize that many bottles and I'm already looking for 2 gallon plastic containers so I don't have to carry it in a ton of empty glass jugs.

So...anyone ever backsweeten a mead with an artificial sweetener? Or Potassium Sorbate and regular sugar? Gotta stop a secondary fermentation so there's not an incident.

e: Would these be OK to store the mead? HDPE http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-JUG-64...lon+plastic+jug

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 8, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Scarf posted:

Also, I think I figured out why I was a gallon off... It wasn't the boil-off, I'm just an idiot and forgot to account for the dead space in my mash tun. :ughh:

How does dead space make you use less water? Cooler size shouldn't really play much of a role in things outside of maybe needing to start the water a degree or two higher to warm up the full volume of the mash tun. Are you using any kind of software? Pretty much all of them will tell you exactly how much water to use in your mash and sparge.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

rockcity posted:

How does dead space make you use less water? Cooler size shouldn't really play much of a role in things outside of maybe needing to start the water a degree or two higher to warm up the full volume of the mash tun. Are you using any kind of software? Pretty much all of them will tell you exactly how much water to use in your mash and sparge.

I have a 1 gallon loss inside my cooler that won't drain unless I pick the thing up and hold it sideways. I am using beersmith, but I realized that though I put in 1-gallon of dead space in my equipment profile, I never had the box clicked that said "adjust mash volume for dead space."

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Been in hiatus last few months. Brewery paperwork is extremely time consuming. Planning on doing 4 homebrews over the course of the next 7 days. Got the homebrew club's oak barrel so going to do an Imperial Russian Stout and age it in the cask on dates for a month or two. Hot weather coming up so going to restock on my brett rye saison and IPA. My years harvest of sour cherries and pondering what to do. want something fresh and and pale as the base, just a basic pale or think I should go wheat or saison?

hellfaucet posted:

Don't drink it all at once!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Um, it looks like you might have too much beer.
Woah there, let's not say things we can't take back

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

JawKnee posted:

that room must smell amazing

My basement smelled amazing when I got home from work tonight. :unsmith:

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

hellfaucet posted:

I disagree. Look at all that unused space! Now order a pallet of carboys and get cracking!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm wondering what types of all-grain beers I can reasonably make in a 2-week span, from brewday to serving, assuming I can artificially carbonate. It has been a long time since I looked at all this, and the only real safe answer before was hefeweizen. I'm wondering if there are some new yeasts and/or techniques to help expedite things. I also have some munich malt I somehow want to use, without also making a dunkelweizen. Are there any particularly clean tasting beers where I can pull out a malt profile in just 2 weeks? I am assuming there is something I could do with just an amber ale or some crap, but I don't know if good-old WLP001 is going to cut it in time. I fortunately do have temperature control, but both beers would have to use the same temperature.

For that matter, which of the hefeweizen strains out there now is the cleanest? Does it ferment respectably quickly?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So disaster has struck! The kit I bought had everything but the brewers yeast! I'm in the middle of boiling my hops right now. I dont have time to go run to the brew store and get brewers yeast. Should I use bread machine yeast or can I get away with storing the boiled hops in the fridge overnight until tomorrow?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

rockcity posted:

I'll probably let it sit in secondary for a month to mellow both the potential 9.2% ABV and possible overshoot in bitterness.

Ack, why?!? Leave it in primary until it's done fermenting (a couple of weeks?), put it straight into the keg, and drink it as fresh as you possibly can. In fact, if you have a carbonator cap, take some straight from the fermenter, chill it, and shake some CO2 in there. Really hoppy beers like that are freaking amazing on day 1 or 2 after leaving the fermenter.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So disaster has struck! The kit I bought had everything but the brewers yeast! I'm in the middle of boiling my hops right now. I dont have time to go run to the brew store and get brewers yeast. Should I use bread machine yeast or can I get away with storing the boiled hops in the fridge overnight until tomorrow?

If everything is nice and clean you can put it in the bucket/carboy let it sit over night and pitch it tomorrow. Don't use bread yeast.

e: With airlocks and all of course.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Plinkey posted:

If everything is nice and clean you can put it in the bucket/carboy let it sit over night and pitch it tomorrow. Don't use bread yeast.

e: With airlocks and all of course.

So go ahead and put in the liquid malt extract and everything else and then just dump the yeast in tomorrow?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Glottis posted:

Ack, why?!? Leave it in primary until it's done fermenting (a couple of weeks?), put it straight into the keg, and drink it as fresh as you possibly can. In fact, if you have a carbonator cap, take some straight from the fermenter, chill it, and shake some CO2 in there. Really hoppy beers like that are freaking amazing on day 1 or 2 after leaving the fermenter.

That's normally my plan with IPAs though this one is a fair bit higher in ABV than any of the other ones I've done...actually it's a fair bit higher than any beer I've done and I was figuring I'd want to give it just a little more time to settle the high alcohol. The other reason I thought about a secondary was just to help clarity a touch. Because of how much hops I threw in there, it made whirpooling not that effective and it's looking like a fair bit of trub got in there. I plan to cold crash, but I figure'd moving it to secondary would help in addition to the cold crash.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So go ahead and put in the liquid malt extract and everything else and then just dump the yeast in tomorrow?

Wait, you just boiled hops in water with no extract in there? You might want to pick up some more hops while you're at the store...

rockcity fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 9, 2015

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

rockcity posted:

Wait, you just boiled hops in water with no extract in there? You might want to pick up some more hops while you're at the store...

No, well, maybe... They were steaping grains or something that I was supposed to boil for 15 minutes. Now I just dumped in the hops and LME. Man I hope I didnt ruin this first batch by not having yeast on hand. I was so pumped for this.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

No, well, maybe... They were steaping grains or something that I was supposed to boil for 15 minutes. Now I just dumped in the hops and LME. Man I hope I didnt ruin this first batch by not having yeast on hand. I was so pumped for this.

I'm starting to get the feeling that you may want to buy another kit. There's no harm in continuing with what you're doing, but it sounds like you're doing things quite oddly.

If you did in fact boil those steeping grains, you probably extracted a bunch of stuff you didn't want and that could lead to some strange flavors. You also need the sugars from the extract in your boil for the hops to be properly utilized. What instructions are you following for this recipe?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Yesterday's pitched yeast wasted no time. We blew out a 6.5 gallon carboy in less than 24 hours.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah, post what your steps and ingredients. Did you have a big tea bag of grains? If you boiled with that in the pot you'll get some weirdness but all is not lost. What kit were you making?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

This is just bubbles between solids right? Nothing to be concerned with? This is my first all grain, been in fermenter for 10 days.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Looks fine to me :cheers:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, just looks like a bunch of yeast rafts and C02 bubbles.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
So I definitely take back what I said about harvesting and washing your yeast. Seems like the easiest way to make a starter, no? I think that should be the next thing I do to up my game. Harvest and wash the yeast from the batch I just pictured above, and save for a starter for my next brew. Is that a thing?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Scarf posted:

In getting ready for tomorrow, I started to go ahead and clean my equipment since I have some free time this afternoon. I noticed that one of my fermenter buckets still smells like beer, and there's a stained ring around where the krausen was during fermentation. I gave it a good soak/scrub in Oxi Free and I can still faintly detect the smell.

I'm guessing I should resign this bucket to utility/sanitizer duty?

I guess maybe I didn't clean it thoroughly enough after my last batch :\

Fill that bucket with hot water and Oxyclean Free (make sure it is Oxyclean FREE because there are no added colors or scents). Let it sit until the water gets cold and then rinse. The stains may be there but it should get rid of most if not ALL of the left over smell.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

As requested here are my instructions:

Here are the instructions that I was following. So I did the steeping grains first brought to a boil and then put in the LME and some of the hops. Got it boiling again for a while and then added in the hops again as specified. Cooled down in some ice water and then took it from the stockpot into my carboy and sealed the carboy with the airlock. My hope is that today I can head to the brew shop get some yeast, quickly add it and then re-seal it. Otherwise I'll chalk this up as a learning experience and try again later this weekend.

If anyone is in the Minneapolis area and plans on brewing this weekend and feels like teaching I'll gladly contribute a 6 pack of something to the effort. This was a lot more involved than just helping my friends sanitize things like I had done in the past.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

OssiansFolly posted:

Fill that bucket with hot water and Oxyclean Free (make sure it is Oxyclean FREE because there are no added colors or scents). Let it sit until the water gets cold and then rinse. The stains may be there but it should get rid of most if not ALL of the left over smell.

Yeah, that's what I did the first time... Well, I filled it half way, I'll give it another shot. Also, what's everyone's preferred ratio of Oxi Free to water? I went with the 1 full scoop - to - 1 gallon ratio recommended on the back for cleaning "hard surfaces" and it was waaay too loving much and took forever to fully rinse off.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 9, 2015

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

BaseballPCHiker posted:

As requested here are my instructions:

Here are the instructions that I was following. So I did the steeping grains first brought to a boil and then put in the LME and some of the hops. Got it boiling again for a while and then added in the hops again as specified. Cooled down in some ice water and then took it from the stockpot into my carboy and sealed the carboy with the airlock. My hope is that today I can head to the brew shop get some yeast, quickly add it and then re-seal it. Otherwise I'll chalk this up as a learning experience and try again later this weekend.

If anyone is in the Minneapolis area and plans on brewing this weekend and feels like teaching I'll gladly contribute a 6 pack of something to the effort. This was a lot more involved than just helping my friends sanitize things like I had done in the past.

As long as you followed this instructions, you're fine. The way you wrote it before was implying that you put the steeping grains in boiling water to steep them and then didn't add the extract and just boiled the hops in the steeped grain liquid. I'd a liquid yeast of some kind as they tend to get started a little quicker which would be good in your case. Something like a Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
Well, one of the hop plants has done well, but the other three all seem to have given up on life - dunno if I didn't water them enough or what, but they haven't budged in like a month. Is it too late in the season to get more rhizomes and replant?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm wondering what types of all-grain beers I can reasonably make in a 2-week span, from brewday to serving, assuming I can artificially carbonate. It has been a long time since I looked at all this, and the only real safe answer before was hefeweizen. I'm wondering if there are some new yeasts and/or techniques to help expedite things. I also have some munich malt I somehow want to use, without also making a dunkelweizen. Are there any particularly clean tasting beers where I can pull out a malt profile in just 2 weeks? I am assuming there is something I could do with just an amber ale or some crap, but I don't know if good-old WLP001 is going to cut it in time. I fortunately do have temperature control, but both beers would have to use the same temperature.

For that matter, which of the hefeweizen strains out there now is the cleanest? Does it ferment respectably quickly?
So you're making a weiss and ??? at the same temp and over the same timeframe? I love wy3068/wlp300 at 62-65F. Some clove and not much banana, not sure if that would be "clean" but goddamn it's good, people should persist and learn to love german weiss if they don't like it at first. It gets to FG in 6 days and I bottle by 2 weeks. For the other you could make any number of variations on "mild" from pale to really dark. Milds turn around quick and have wide appeal, even people who think they hate craft beer often love them. Your munich could easily be worked into one, I like it a lot as a base for smaller beers . If you want clean, nottingham yeast might be good. I don't know if wlp001 would settle out fast enough but you could clear with gelatin if you really want to use it. I've read that the temp range I suggested sometimes gives wlp001 some peachy fruitiness.

Here's a munich-based mild I made once and liked, but there are tons of (probably much better) mild recipes floating around
Munich malt - 6.5 lb - 90%
British 80L crystal - 12 oz - 10%
East Kent Goldings .5 oz 60 min
East Kent Goldings .5 oz 10 min
mashed at 154F for 75 min
boiled 60 min
pitched wy1318 at 63F, let it take itself to 68F and held there
OG 1.038, FG 1.014 (nottingham would probably go a bit lower)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm pretty sure there are a few LHBS' that have brewing classes in MSP. At least they did when I lived there five years ago. It should help with confusion much better than we can probably answer the questions, because they'll probably have brewing visual aides.

That said, I like to rewrite instructions before I do anything in the kitchen so that I don't miss anything important. Not all recipes are written well, and more often then not, they'll bury something like 'you need a 2L yeast starter' at the end and not in the ingredient list or as step one. It's my measure twice, cut once step in the kitchen. That way, if you come across something that doesn't make sense, you can figure it out without the boil going.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

mad.radhu posted:

Well, one of the hop plants has done well, but the other three all seem to have given up on life - dunno if I didn't water them enough or what, but they haven't budged in like a month. Is it too late in the season to get more rhizomes and replant?

Curious about this too, as mine did basically the same thing. They're not dead, but seem to have completely stopped growing. The two bines mine sprouted are less than 2 feet long each.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Myron Baloney posted:

people should persist and learn to love german weiss if they don't like it at first. It gets to FG in 6 days and I bottle by 2 weeks.

My brewing partener and i have turned our Bavarian Hefe in 13 days grain to glass for a public showdown with a commercial brewery. we won the unofficial/unscientific/mostly blind tasting something like 70-50 vote wise from the drinking public. It is worth noting that everyone was drinking for free so that gave all of the beers extra tastiness.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Well I'm dumb. I started my first adventure in kegging Sunday. Transferred my beer to the kegs and put in my kegerator to chill. I go out there yesterday and find out there are two different types keg locks (pin and ball). Of course I bought pin lock kegs and ball lock taps. I went ahead and ordered ball lock pegs for my kegs. Now I have to wait for them to show up tomorrow and then they probably won't even fit my kegs. What a mess I've got myself into, hopefully my beer is still ok.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

Four out of six of mine seem to be growing. One is already about 4 feet with the others trailing behind a bit. I have real low expectations so if I get anything even remotely usable out of this, even for a single batch, I'll be happy.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Curious about this too, as mine did basically the same thing. They're not dead, but seem to have completely stopped growing. The two bines mine sprouted are less than 2 feet long each.

rockcity posted:

Four out of six of mine seem to be growing. One is already about 4 feet with the others trailing behind a bit. I have real low expectations so if I get anything even remotely usable out of this, even for a single batch, I'll be happy.

The first year or two is usually slow with hops. They are getting root systems established. As long as you got some green growth this year they will come back with a vengeance next year. The second year you should get a few ounces and after that it depends on growing conditions like weather, soil nutrients and having enough room to climb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Calling in a friend who works in refrigeration repair to come take a look at my keezer's compressor and start device, hoping it's just the latter as the former probably means around $200 and having to do all the collar work again, besides moving the old freezer out and a new freezer in :ohdear: