Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I'm using the ROM Collection Browser. Is there any way to add it to the main Kodi screen so I don't have to look for it in Add-ons or Favorites?

Depends on the skin. Some are easy, some require some hacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Can Kodi do smart filename searching for TV shows/Movies like Plex does or am I going have to sort my files into Show/Season/Episodes?
TV and Movies have to be separate, but otherwise everything can be dumped in the one directory as long as they're named in a way that the scraper recognizes.

I'm using the ROM Collection Browser. Is there any way to add it to the main Kodi screen so I don't have to look for it in Add-ons or Favorites?
I use the Aeon Nox skin because of it's flexibility to do things like that easily. It's also a nicer looking interface overall, give it a go.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I'm using Aeon something or other, I have a menu item called Apps with a submenu with all my commonly used addons, youtube, RCB, etc. The widget above points to program addons, or video maybe, I forget. Stuff I regularly use gets a place on the main menu bar.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I'm way back on v12. Can I just do an upgrade and it'll keep ally library stuff the same, or am I better off nuking and starting fresh? If the latter, is trakt still a decent way to migrate watched tags over?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
trakt loving pisses me off, first their big API snafu and then for no reason the addon dies when trying to import my watched status. I sent the error logs in and no fixes months later. I've given up on it and just swap the DB files around manually.

You should backup the DB files before upgrading but I've done it on several clients without a problem. Library updates are much faster now so its worth doing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Thanks!

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
I was annoyed that they suddenly changed up their authentication scheme to require a PIN code leaving my account disconnected after a recent update, but they're just about to deprecate the old API completely and it's really the only thing about trakt that has required any interaction from me in ages.

Just plop that poo poo in, and it keeps chugging away in the background without any babysitting. A while back my library started going a bit crazy, showing incorrect unwatched counts for every other show, so I decided to nuke the whole thing and rescrape all my videos. A few minutes after everything was back, trakt had gone through it and synced up watch statuses across the board. It "jest werks" at this point, really.

At some point they also managed to fix offline scrobbling it seems, so the add-on no longer shits its bed when your connection/trakt's servers are having trouble, which was about time. Really no reason not to use it as long as they're not trying to charge money for basic API usage.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The new pin login is pretty slick when setting it up now.

Lots of apps have gone this route on mobile devices, songza, trakt, google login, Plex etc

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Well, it looks like upgrading didn't help me much at all. Half the skins I try to download say "dependencies not met' and there's a bunch of weird issues going on besides. Managed to get trakt working again (apparently I had disabled it all the way back in 2013), and it took maybe two or three minutes to sync all the movies/tv shows. Pretty cool.

Now I'm going to uninstall everything XBMC/Kodi related and start from scratch. I know it'll take a while to rescan the movies, but that's what video games are for.

While I'm doing that, I figured I might as well look at my EventGhost setup as well. Is XBMCRepeat still the go to plugin?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?
You'd be better off uninstalling EventGhost and XBMCRepeater and Windows altogether and just getting on OpenELEC really. The Windows port of XBMC has never been very good.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Keito posted:

You'd be better off uninstalling EventGhost and XBMCRepeater and Windows altogether and just getting on OpenELEC really. The Windows port of XBMC has never been very good.

Install Linux, problem solved? :v:

I have other reasons to keep Windows on the HTPC for now. At some point I'll probably end up going the OpenELEC route but not right now. Also I've been using XBMC on Windows for years and never really had major problems.

For some reason the default MovieDB scraper simply would not add any movies to the library. I had to download Universal Movie Scraper and use that and it worked fine. TV Shows worked great, though.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

EC posted:

I have other reasons to keep Windows on the HTPC for now. At some point I'll probably end up going the OpenELEC route but not right now. Also I've been using XBMC on Windows for years and never really had major problems.
Thing I really like about OpenELEC is the simplicity, it's built around running XBMC and only that. There are lots of addons available, but the spartan core system makes it very stable and fast. So yeah, I'd recommend going that route at some point if you're not dependant on streaming services.

If you need Steam or something I'd argue you're better off just making a main menu shortcut to reboot into Windows/SteamOS and have that launch with the HTPC interface.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keito posted:

Openelec has always been poo poo for me. By far the least stable option of running XBMC or Kodi.

In fact, in my experience, windows has always been the best OS by far for Kodi.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Thermopyle posted:

Openelec has always been poo poo for me. By far the least stable option of running XBMC or Kodi.

In fact, in my experience, windows has always been the best OS by far for Kodi.

If you have an AMD card in your computer then that could be true considering how terrible their Linux drivers are.

Main problems with XBMC on Windows include poor performance if not in exclusive fullscreen due to Microsoft's poor implementation of compositing, poor (mis)handling of program resolution on system wakeup if running in exclusive fullscreen, and lastly the DirectX backend generally being subpar in performance when compared to the OpenGL one. It works, but never ideally.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I use it on windows and it's fine, but it's also my primary gaming machine connected via wireless HDMI so it's both highly overpowered and fullscreen.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keito posted:

If you have an AMD card in your computer then that could be true considering how terrible their Linux drivers are.

Main problems with XBMC on Windows include poor performance if not in exclusive fullscreen due to Microsoft's poor implementation of compositing, poor (mis)handling of program resolution on system wakeup if running in exclusive fullscreen, and lastly the DirectX backend generally being subpar in performance when compared to the OpenGL one. It works, but never ideally.

I've never had a stable OpenELEC experience on a dozen HTPC's spanning nvidia/amd/intel. One thing in particular that it always messes up on...and I attribute it to the hilariously bad situation video drivers are in on non-Windows platforms...it really struggles with refresh rate changes and always has. I always try it out because its super fast to boot up (though I never put my systems to sleep or shut them down because that seems pointless to me...the power usage of a HTPC idling costs a few cents per month) and always end up back on Windows or Ubuntu.

On the other hand, I've never had any problem with XBMC on Windows from everything from an old Acer Revo R1600 (ion-based system) to an old C2D system with an AMD Radeon 5-series. I've really got to question what you're basing the statement about DirectX being inferior to OpenGL for XBMC on. I've never seen any performance difference.

I mean, I'm not saying that XBMC on Windows is better than OpenELEC in all ways. I am saying you're way overstating the difference between OpenELEC and Windows.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Weird, my only OpenELEC install is with my projector where it changes refresh rate on start/stop and I've never had an issue. Passes through 7.1 fine too. It's probably the only stable version of XBMC/Kodi I've used where I never experience any issues.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Finally got everything working I think. Waiting for trakt to sync watched tags (fake edit: it finished while I was typing this, wow), but everything else has been updated (except for music which I'll schedule to run sometime tonight so I don't have to gently caress with it). I also need to tweak some stuff that is apparently still only available by editing advancedsettings.xml, which kind of sucks. I've got a small issue scraping some TV shows, but I don't think it's on my end.

Any recommended add-ons/skins? I'm using YouTube, GiantBomb, HD-Trailers, Trakt, Missing Movie Collection...and that's about it. I haven't been impressed with any of the skins I've tried, so I'm sticking with Metropolis for now. ESPN3 won't load a single stream (maybe because of my IP address? Although the app on my 360 works fine).

As for EventGhost, it still works fine with the old version.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

OpenELEC was the first version of XBMC/Kodi that was actually useful to me since the XBOX version. You just need to get compatible hardware for it.

If you want to stream from Netflix and the like, get a Chromecast as well.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 13, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I really didn't mean to start an OS war or anything. It's just that I already have everything done on my Windows box, so there's not much point to change.

FWIW, all of the issues I was having after upgrading from Gotham to the latest stable are gone after a fresh install.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
In my experience, Kodi is good for playback of local files. If you want to do anything beyond that, you're best buying something like the Nexus Player that can run Kodi and other apps alongside it.

EC posted:

Finally got everything working I think. Waiting for trakt to sync watched tags (fake edit: it finished while I was typing this, wow), but everything else has been updated (except for music which I'll schedule to run sometime tonight so I don't have to gently caress with it). I also need to tweak some stuff that is apparently still only available by editing advancedsettings.xml, which kind of sucks. I've got a small issue scraping some TV shows, but I don't think it's on my end.

Any recommended add-ons/skins? I'm using YouTube, GiantBomb, HD-Trailers, Trakt, Missing Movie Collection...and that's about it. I haven't been impressed with any of the skins I've tried, so I'm sticking with Metropolis for now. ESPN3 won't load a single stream (maybe because of my IP address? Although the app on my 360 works fine).

As for EventGhost, it still works fine with the old version.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

EC posted:

I have other reasons to keep Windows on the HTPC for now.

You can boot openelec from a usb stick and just reboot into windows when needed. I've been using openelec for probably 4-5 years and the only issues i experienced were with beta releases.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I know a few people around here bought Lightpacks. Did y'all end up using the Prismatic program to do screen sampling? If so, what settings did you end up with?

If not, what did you end up using? It looks like Boblight requires some sort of server that isn't Windows compatible.

(yes, I know I can install OpenELEC but let's just assume that's not going to happen)

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
If I want to use a Raspberry for streaming with Kodi, do I need an external HD? Because I'm thinking buffering all the data is a problem when you only have a 8 GB SD. Or maybe not? Dunno.

e: Also what's a good kodi podcast app for organising podcasts? Couldn't find anything.

midnightclimax fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 14, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
So I ended up dropping Prismatic in favor of AmbiBox, which has a built in Kodi add-on. A few quick configuration changes and it seems to be working fine, even with HD files. Here's an example (please don't laugh at my TV setup, I'm waiting to finish the living room remodel):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGDw4LVuJ5A

The effect is a bit more noticeable in person, but that's what cell phone videos will get you I guess.

Edit: also the TV is a bit farther from the wall than they recommend, but again I'm happy with the results.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

midnightclimax posted:

If I want to use a Raspberry for streaming with Kodi, do I need an external HD? Because I'm thinking buffering all the data is a problem when you only have a 8 GB SD. Or maybe not? Dunno.

e: Also what's a good kodi podcast app for organising podcasts? Couldn't find anything.

Pi has garbage USB hard drive read/write

Kodi only does 32mb of caching but you can bump it up to 256 or higher (my Fire TV is set to 1200mb) pretty easily by modifying an XML file.

redhalo
May 19, 2009

EC posted:

So I ended up dropping Prismatic in favor of AmbiBox, which has a built in Kodi add-on. A few quick configuration changes and it seems to be working fine, even with HD files. Here's an example (please don't laugh at my TV setup, I'm waiting to finish the living room remodel):

The effect is a bit more noticeable in person, but that's what cell phone videos will get you I guess.

Edit: also the TV is a bit farther from the wall than they recommend, but again I'm happy with the results.

I use Ambibox as well, does Ambibox disconnect from the Lightpack at random for you too? I haven't seen any complaints about this but it happens to me all the time.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

midnightclimax posted:

I use these settings in my advancedsettings.xml file and HD streaming over wireless n to my RPi works great.

code:
<advancedsettings>
	<network>
		<buffermode>1</buffermode>
		<cachemembuffersize>52428800</cachemembuffersize>
	</network>
</advancedsettings>

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

redhalo posted:

I use Ambibox as well, does Ambibox disconnect from the Lightpack at random for you too? I haven't seen any complaints about this but it happens to me all the time.

I didn't see that, but I have other issues. I set up three different profiles, each with their own shortcut: Kodi, dynamic background, and off. It will decide at random to turn the lights back when I use the Off shortcut though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

EC posted:

I didn't see that, but I have other issues. I set up three different profiles, each with their own shortcut: Kodi, dynamic background, and off. It will decide at random to turn the lights back when I use the Off shortcut though.

KODI is now offically available to everyone on the Play Store.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks for this, looking forward to testing it out on my nexus player. For people that didn't notice, Emby for Kodi is on version 1.0 as well.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21888-emby-for-kodi-10-liv/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

What's the purpose of emby if you're already using kodi?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Works with the backend server so you don't need to use kodi libraries. Kind of like plexbmc but far better from what I have tested of it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I found a new favorite skin: Eminence. It looks great and the home screen is very customizable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

I found a new favorite skin: Eminence. It looks great and the home screen is very customizable.

Yes I've posted that one multiple times in this thread. Been using it for what must be a couple of years now. I try others every once in awhile but always come back.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Yes I've posted that one multiple times in this thread. Been using it for what must be a couple of years now. I try others every once in awhile but always come back.

I must have missed it. If only the OP was updated within the last few years, goddamn.

Oh, wait-

(seriously now that I've finally upgraded to Kodi I'll be refreshing the OP in the next few weeks)

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The design of it also blends in seamlessly with other Android TV apps. Recommendations from Emby get shown on the Android TV home screen. Like someone else said, there's a backend you run on your server to handle metadata and things like that. No messing with MySQL.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EC posted:

Anyone running this on isengard beta 2? I am running on a nexus player and would rather just prefer to use the play store version of kodi.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Ive been using Kodi for years on my PC, and on a Acer Revo running Openelec. I love Kodi. about a year ago, i started using plex to share my library from my PC to several other tvs in my house. For the second time, I find myself fighting an issue with plex where it wont download the cover art.

Rather than wast time troubleshooting, i thought id try file sharing with Kodi. I read a little bit about it, but I cant seem to find clear step by step instructions.

first, a question: do i need Kodi running on my PC (where the library lives) to share to other instances of Kodi? Or can a standalone Kodi (openelec or PC) play the files from another PC, even if that PC doesn't have Kodi installed?

Basically; i have PC withe several connected hard drives, and want to play those movies in another room, either with the Acer or an RPi running openelec. everything is hard wired through a router, no wifi.

whats the easiest and most reliable way to do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Cornjob posted:

Ive been using Kodi for years on my PC, and on a Acer Revo running Openelec. I love Kodi. about a year ago, i started using plex to share my library from my PC to several other tvs in my house. For the second time, I find myself fighting an issue with plex where it wont download the cover art.

Rather than wast time troubleshooting, i thought id try file sharing with Kodi. I read a little bit about it, but I cant seem to find clear step by step instructions.

first, a question: do i need Kodi running on my PC (where the library lives) to share to other instances of Kodi? Or can a standalone Kodi (openelec or PC) play the files from another PC, even if that PC doesn't have Kodi installed?

Basically; i have PC withe several connected hard drives, and want to play those movies in another room, either with the Acer or an RPi running openelec. everything is hard wired through a router, no wifi.

whats the easiest and most reliable way to do this?

Just use kodi libraries, or install emby. Emby runs on your PC, and your clients all talk to emby, just like plex. The emby implementation is light years beyond plexbmc, at least from when I last checked. How emby works now is it syncs with your local kodi install, its actually all really slick, you kind of need to try it to see how it works. More info here: https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Kodi/wiki