Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

Because the monster deck uses monsters.

Counterpoint: it has Regis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Meiteron posted:

The really unfortunate thing is that Djikstra has been around Geralt long enough that he should clearly know what he tries to pull there is not going to work. Putting aside all from the earlier games he should have seen enough in this one to know that if Geralt is on the field opposite you, then solving your problems with violence is a lost cause.

Me, I sort of took the entire thing as an elaborate form of suicide, with him thinking the plan dooms the north's independence in the long term. :smith:

Nah it's just poorly thought out on the writer's part. If you let Djikstra live, he takes over Redania and succeeds at completely pushing Nilfgaard out of the North. The plan is just bad, poorly thought out, and very out of character for a character as smart as Djikstra is supposed to be. The end to that quest is the only serious issue I have with the writing in this game because it felt forced.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

OAquinas posted:

Counterpoint: it has Regis.

Counter-counterpoint: Regis is a neutral card. :v:

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Magni posted:

So CD Project just released their sale results for Witcher 3.

That's really awesome. Even with some of the issues they did a great job on this game.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Meiteron posted:

The really unfortunate thing is that Djikstra has been around Geralt long enough that he should clearly know what he tries to pull there is not going to work. Putting aside all from the earlier games he should have seen enough in this one to know that if Geralt is on the field opposite you, then solving your problems with violence is a lost cause.

Me, I sort of took the entire thing as an elaborate form of suicide, with him thinking the plan dooms the north's independence in the long term. :smith:

That's exactly what it is. From the opening dramatics to the decision point. He's completely on the level. The plan as it exists leads to a puppet Temeria with its own internal governance, and Redania getting erased from the map for Nilfgaardian Lebensraum. Oxenfurt? Nilf. Novigrad? Very briefly Redanian, and then Nilf. Phillipa showing up completely wrecked Djikstra's plan to take out Radovid and his co-conspirators all at once, so he's out of options. The response to Radovid's death is something that has to occur on the order of hours or days, so there's no time to arrange for the disappearing of Thaler/Roche/Ves before they discover their courier has been waylaid and they turn against Djikstra anyway. Either he dies a patriot or he lives to see everything he fought for parceled up and handed over to the Black Ones. Or, if Geralt is feeling generous today, he wins. Dude was hosed and he knew it.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

ZombieLenin posted:

The thing is you aren't aware of the set of consequences for either choice before making it.

I had no idea Anna's fate was tied to the choice, and I thought the village was going to benefit from freeing the "Druid." The only hint you get at the Tree Thing wasn't on the up and up was the fact his bones weren't human--but he claimed to be a Druid... and Druids need not be human, or be in human form when they die.

I mean, the whole EVIL BLOOD RITUAL you have to do to release it seemed like a pretty big hint. It's what convinced me not to go through with it -- the whole thing was a little too creepy and Geralt had no idea what he was dealing with, so better safe than sorry.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
How does one reach the Point of Interest on the mountains one Spikeroog? The one (spoilers for the quest 'Possession') behind the haunted house the Jarl used to live in? You can't climb over the house and there's no evident path around it. It does look as if one of the rooms at the back has a busted wall that opens on to a path with a ledge marked by that white 'paint' they use to denote climbable ledges, but I can't get through there.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So I got sucked into this game too but I only got a chance to play for about an hour. On inventory/crafting, this early on should I hoard all the junk and pay to have it broken down, or sell it off for early game cash?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Scandalous posted:

How does one reach the Point of Interest on the mountains one Spikeroog? The one (spoilers for the quest 'Possession') behind the haunted house the Jarl used to live in? You can't climb over the house and there's no evident path around it. It does look as if one of the rooms at the back has a busted wall that opens on to a path with a ledge marked by that white 'paint' they use to denote climbable ledges, but I can't get through there.

There's like a bench, crates or something outside the house to the right when you exit it, i spammed jump near that and relied on Witcher 3's horrid collision detection and warped up the hillside.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

So I got sucked into this game too but I only got a chance to play for about an hour. On inventory/crafting, this early on should I hoard all the junk and pay to have it broken down, or sell it off for early game cash?

It's probably worth it to hoard all the junk you're picking up. Crafting materials don't weigh much and don't sell for all that much, and money won't be a big deal by the time you're level 10 or so. It's unfortunate that there's no storage where you can stash all that stuff, but it's not too awful to lug around. Keep an eye out for saddlebags for your horse, which dramatically increase your carrying capacity.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cephalocidal posted:

That's exactly what it is. From the opening dramatics to the decision point. He's completely on the level. The plan as it exists leads to a puppet Temeria with its own internal governance, and Redania getting erased from the map for Nilfgaardian Lebensraum. Oxenfurt? Nilf. Novigrad? Very briefly Redanian, and then Nilf. Phillipa showing up completely wrecked Djikstra's plan to take out Radovid and his co-conspirators all at once, so he's out of options. The response to Radovid's death is something that has to occur on the order of hours or days, so there's no time to arrange for the disappearing of Thaler/Roche/Ves before they discover their courier has been waylaid and they turn against Djikstra anyway. Either he dies a patriot or he lives to see everything he fought for parceled up and handed over to the Black Ones. Or, if Geralt is feeling generous today, he wins. Dude was hosed and he knew it.

Literally all he had to do to win, aside from working together with Roche to push out Nilfgaard since he is clearly capable of doing so, was simply wait until Geralt left first. He already knew how that was going to go down because he's done that dance before and it left him with a broken leg that never quite healed properly. There was no reason for the theatrics there but to force a choice on the player.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Just watch their attack animations. I play with most of the HUD off; there's a lot to see if you just look at the game world instead of having two layers of information to pay attention to. You can remove floating damage numbers now so you can play with no HUD elements at all if you want. GOTY

Haha this has never happened to me but if you're level 22 and having trouble with harpies I don't know what to tell you. Yeah you can't jump while in combat mode, it sucks I guess but holy poo poo it's not worth getting this angry about. End combat, then do platforming.

I didn't say they gave me a problem. What kicked my rear end was the awful unresponsive controls. And you can't end combat because the sirens and harpies keep you in combat.

Oh sweet a new title. Who bought it for me.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 9, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Magni posted:

So CD Project just released their sale results for Witcher 3.

Over 4 million sales in two weeks. :stare:

Surely we're getting a Witcher 4 then.

But Gwent Online... make it happen please!

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Scandalous posted:

There are a couple ways to jump up but the easiest and intended route is through a big hole in the side of one of the rooms, jump out through the back of the house that way

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how does 4 million compare to the big guns like cod or gta

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Dongattack posted:

There's like a bench, crates or something outside the house to the right when you exit it, i spammed jump near that and relied on Witcher 3's horrid collision detection and warped up the hillside.
Aha, got it! Found a tiny point there which you can climb up! Thanks.

Pellisworth posted:

There are a couple ways to jump up but the easiest and intended route is through a big hole in the side of one of the rooms, jump out through the back of the house that way
I can't get through that gap, it's blocked with fallen beams and some weird collision box.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Scandalous posted:

I can't get through that gap, it's blocked with fallen beams and some weird collision box.

Hmm maybe it opens up after you finish the quest there? I did it afterward

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Hmm maybe it opens up after you finish the quest there? I did it afterward
That's probably it, I never returned after I finished the quest the first time, and I've not completed it yet in this playthrough.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Literally all he had to do to win, aside from working together with Roche to push out Nilfgaard since he is clearly capable of doing so, was simply wait until Geralt left first. He already knew how that was going to go down because he's done that dance before and it left him with a broken leg that never quite healed properly. There was no reason for the theatrics there but to force a choice on the player.

But due to the time constraints he'd still basically be reduced to killing them in the open. What's the point if super sleuth Geralt shows up on his doorstep five days later to even the score for his freshly-dead friends? I know it's contrived to force player choice, but it's also explicable given the characters/motivations. Once he has assumed the mantle of leadership he'd be incredibly easy to track down; finding out where Geralt stood before removing Roche/Ves/Thaler was critical, even if the likely outcome was Djikstra's death.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ethanol posted:

GTA5 sold 11 million units (for $800 million) in its first day and apparently holds the world record for day one sales, among other things. Four million is pretty good.

Cephalocidal posted:

But due to the time constraints he'd still basically be reduced to killing them in the open. What's the point if super sleuth Geralt shows up on his doorstep five days later to even the score for his freshly-dead friends? I know it's contrived to force player choice, but it's also explicable given the characters/motivations. Once he has assumed the mantle of leadership he'd be incredibly easy to track down; finding out where Geralt stood before removing Roche/Ves/Thaler was critical, even if the likely outcome was Djikstra's death.

You give him far too little credit, but he could also have tried to talk to them first and that would likely have worked. At least with Roche because he clearly wasn't happy with how this was going down.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

GTA5 sold 11 million units (for $800 million) in its first day and apparently holds the world record for day one sales, among other things. Four million is pretty good.

You give him far too little credit, but he could also have tried to talk to them first and that would likely have worked. At least with Roche because he clearly wasn't happy with how this was going down.

If it was just Roche, yes. With Thaler in the mix it'd be a hard sell though - Foltest's assassination in W2 made the conquering of Temeria about as clean as you could hope for, and the infrastructure of the state (minus the ruling class) is still more or less intact. Redania pushing back across the Pontar would leave everything from there to Vizima looking like No Man's Land. For Temeria to exist (physically, nevermind in name) the war has to end, and soon. For the war to end, Redania has to fall.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Verranicus posted:

Asking again, how do you guys handle the POIs? Spread them out or binge on them?

I did them if they were nearby, then looked up which ones have something more than "a chest full of a garbage", and did those. There's no point to doing all of them and it sounds like a good way to make you hate yourself. If you go that route, do it after finishing the story.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cephalocidal posted:

If it was just Roche, yes. With Thaler in the mix it'd be a hard sell though - Foltest's assassination in W2 made the conquering of Temeria about as clean as you could hope for, and the infrastructure of the state (minus the ruling class) is still more or less intact. Redania pushing back across the Pontar would leave everything from there to Vizima looking like No Man's Land. For Temeria to exist (physically, nevermind in name) the war has to end, and soon. For the war to end, Redania has to fall.

That's not what happens though. Nilfgaard leaves no matter what (Djikstra already knows why they're in the North anyway, and that they'll leave soon), and Temarian territory isn't under Nilfgaard's direct control regardless of what you do. They leave on their own and Djikstra takes the wheel. Even if you don't kill Radovid, Nilfgaard will still leave and Radovid continues his witch hunts in Novigrad. The point is, Djikstra knows that Nilfgaard aren't sticking around and there's no point in starting a fight he knows he won't win if you intercede.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

600 mb 1.04 patch is out on bone

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ethanol posted:

For comparison Skyrim sold 7 million units in its first week on the market. Akham City sold 4 million units in its first week. Dark Souls sold less than a million copies in its first two weeks.

So it's doing very well, but not quite in the highly-anticipated highly-rated AAA big leagues.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

ethanol posted:

Raw sales numbers wise? It's not comparable CoD like releases sell a lot more, where TW3 blows CoD and other CoD like releases away is on pure roi. Afaik the known dev costs of TW3 are around 15 million with 25 million in advertising. COD releases can clear 200 million in dev costs alone, not even counting the ad budget.

Edit: also this game spiked the books into the best seller list. Doubt cdpr sees any of that cash but its still a good thing.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 9, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Varam posted:

I mean, the whole EVIL BLOOD RITUAL you have to do to release it seemed like a pretty big hint. It's what convinced me not to go through with it -- the whole thing was a little too creepy and Geralt had no idea what he was dealing with, so better safe than sorry.

True, but this isn't Dragon Age, so I wasn't going in with a predisposition to feel off about blood magic. Plus, the only blood involved was his.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's not what happens though. Nilfgaard leaves no matter what (Djikstra already knows why they're in the North anyway, and that they'll leave soon), and Temarian territory isn't under Nilfgaard's direct control regardless of what you do. They leave on their own and Djikstra takes the wheel. Even if you don't kill Radovid, Nilfgaard will still leave and Radovid continues his witch hunts in Novigrad. The point is, Djikstra knows that Nilfgaard aren't sticking around and there's no point in starting a fight he knows he won't win if you intercede.

Geralt is still loving with his powerplay though. That or Phil has him thinking with his dick. I haven't read the books so I don't know if that's a thing she does to him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's an unnecessary power play (that it's even there is my entire problem with the scene) and that makes no sense at the time and even less sense once you've seen how everything plays out

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
(same conversation as above) Why did he even involve roche in the first place? He could have used his own men on the bridge and I'd have gladly helped him take over redania if he wasn't gonna kill my friends.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Question about the Bloody Baron: Whats the deal with the imp creature thing? You get that cut scene and then nothing else? I'd like to free him or something now that the baron is dead.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ZombieLenin posted:

Question about the Bloody Baron: Whats the deal with the imp creature thing? You get that cut scene and then nothing else? I'd like to free him or something now that the baron is dead.

It's important later for a story quest.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

ZombieLenin posted:

True, but this isn't Dragon Age, so I wasn't going in with a predisposition to feel off about blood magic. Plus, the only blood involved was his.

I didn't feel like poo poo was going wrong until Geralt forces the horse to actually drink the blood. Blood being involved isn't inherently evil, especially as it's only his blood, as noted. But yeah the game very hamfistedly leaves little doubt that - Druid or not - he's pretty drat evil. He does free the kids and the witches are definitely Snidely Whiplash evil. But the drinking blood, glowing red eyes and just generally spooky sounds the horse makes - on top of Geralt literally calling it evil - kinda seals it for me.

I just wished he had tried to take revenge on the witches directly.
But I suppose that would defeat the purpose of showing the player that ultimately their choices are pretty futile because the world sucks and everyone is terrible. (I didn't spoil this because the game likes to beat you over the head with it).

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Is it ever explained why Radovid goes crazy and starts his witch hunts? Also, what did Phillipa do to piss the entire world off?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Witcher 2.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Radovid started the hunts after Loc Muinne in Witcher 2 because witches are naughty.

Also the crones vs. horse is not a difficult choice because all you're choosing when you first play it is do you trust the tree sponge to save the kids or not. You only find out about the other stuff later. And presumably on your second playthrough you pick the one you didn't pick the first time to see the other ending.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Meiteron posted:

As you've probably noticed igni isn't that great in that second to last phase so stick to Quen as insurance against a missed dodge and just poke him with your sword.

Fixed that for you, because... well, igni is working just fine in the end :black101:

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
There don't seem to be a lot of enemies that don't get wrecked by Igni in general, as far as I remember.
First thing that comes to mind are those rear end in a top hat elementals and gargoyles but for those you have Yrden.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

There don't seem to be a lot of enemies that don't get wrecked by Igni in general, as far as I remember.
First thing that comes to mind are those rear end in a top hat elementals and gargoyles but for those you have Yrden.

Igni is still good because it removes armor for those enemies. Always cast it a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Swedish Horror posted:

Is it ever explained why Radovid goes crazy and starts his witch hunts? Also, what did Phillipa do to piss the entire world off?

The answer to this is the events of TW2 and being raised by Phillipa. Radovids dad was a mouthpiece for Phillipa.