Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

Germany, france, uk, us, australia, japan, korea. all the big ones are covered. Although Uk only gets you an automatic license, and you have to do a road test to drive a standard because they're aware that people who drive automatics are idiots.

:agreed:

;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

superdylan posted:

Do we have time for another pair of Portland cyclists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPeGuufW0g

This happens every day. Now include videos of cars going into the oncoming lane to get around the cyclist that ends up passing them at a red light.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

superdylan posted:

Do we have time for another pair of Portland cyclists?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHPeGuufW0g

:v:

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Worth sharing here.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Worth sharing here.

I like how the other cyclist just keeps on cruising down the road.. heh.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

88h88 posted:

Perhaps but the amount of said ancient old farts sharper than young people is far loving smaller than that of wrinkly old giffers who can't see for poo poo, have reaction times measure in minutes and memory spans of seconds.

If you are going to take old people of the road for those reasons, you should also remove all <25 that drive like morons and spend more time looking down their phone than at the road.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

If you are going to take old people of the road for those reasons, you should also remove all <25 that drive like morons and spend more time looking down their phone than at the road.

I'd love to! The amount of people I see using phones whilst driving is scary.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

Ban everyone from driving or riding bikes. Problem solved.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Ban everyone from driving or riding bikes. Problem solved.

Glass the planet, people are garbage anyway. Just end it all now.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

Just like the old people who slam into stores and go "I GOT MY PEDALS MIXED UP."

I have a friend who was sitting in a Starbucks and had his hand broken when an old fogie mixed up his pedals and drove through the plate glass window into the shop, hitting him.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Mandate the pedals on autos be placed 18" apart. :colbert:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

If you're too dumb/old to drive an auto then you should be dragged into the street and executed.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Powershift posted:

Although Uk only gets you an automatic license, and you have to do a road test to drive a standard because they're commie pinko bastards.

Just to note that it is not reciprocal. I needed to do the full Massachusetts driving test to get a license as they wouldn't just give me one based on my UK licence. Also if you want to drive the gearbox of the gods you need to prove you are worthy.

EDIT: Hmm just checked and it seems you can't convert a US license at all to a UK one so yeah my fiance is going to have fun with that some point in the future :v: Canucks can do it tho so... God save the Queen?

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 9, 2015

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Count Freebasie posted:

I have a friend who was sitting in a Starbucks and had his hand broken when an old fogie mixed up his pedals and drove through the plate glass window into the shop, hitting him.

I don't know if you could ever find out, but I hope to God that that old fogie's license was revoked.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Count Freebasie posted:

Over 65, every year.

Written AND driving, along with testing for hearing, eyesight, and reflexes beforehand

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Count Freebasie posted:

You mean his vehicle suffered some sort of unintended acceleration? Surely it wasn't him, it MUST have been his auto-car-mobile.

All snark aside, hope your friend is okay. That's a lovely thing to have happen.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Somebody in my two person family hit the garage door last week because their shoelaces interfered with their feet and the wrong pedal was pushed. It was fun whacking it with the sledge hammer back into a general shape, but gave me chills when I realized that it could have been a bollard or person.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I think those things are more likely to happen when drinving automatics. Especially when people apparently drive using one foot for the gas and one for the brake.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My wife was actually taught to drive automatic with two feet, under the claim that it was "safer" because it reduces reaction time in a crisis situation. I wish I could have met that clown and given him my opinion on the matter.

When we met I had intentions of teaching her to drive manual so she could actually drive my car if it was ever necessary, but she was unable to rewire her reactions to operate the brake with her right foot. Thanks, nameless driving school rear end in a top hat.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

BigPaddy posted:

EDIT: Hmm just checked and it seems you can't convert a US license at all to a UK one so yeah my fiance is going to have fun with that some point in the future :v: Canucks can do it tho so... God save the Queen?

There's probably a loophole where she can convert a US one into a Senegalese one, into a Rwandan one, into a Dutch one and then into a UK one

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Nah she will just have to get lessons and do it properly before I let her loose on the roads.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

It's hard to imagine how pedal confusion happens, let alone so drat often and amongst people who've been driving a long time.

I could see it happening to someone who just got his or her permit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

It's hard to imagine how pedal confusion happens, let alone so drat often and amongst people who've been driving a long time.

Because for a lot of people, your brain goes to poo poo when you get old. I don't know if you're old enough to have to watched it happen yet but it's pretty terrible. poo poo just flat out doesn't work right and at least from what I've seen they never even realize what's going on.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

My wife was actually taught to drive automatic with two feet, under the claim that it was "safer" because it reduces reaction time in a crisis situation. I wish I could have met that clown and given him my opinion on the matter.

When we met I had intentions of teaching her to drive manual so she could actually drive my car if it was ever necessary, but she was unable to rewire her reactions to operate the brake with her right foot. Thanks, nameless driving school rear end in a top hat.

Yeah, this is dumb as hell - the only time anyone should use 2 feet is in a manual trans when operating the clutch. If you ever find that guy who "taught" your wife, break his legs.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Pixelated Dragon posted:

I could see it happening to someone who just got his or her permit.

There is an actual term for this. I can't find it for the life of me, but its effectively a sort of cognitive dissonance. You are SO SURE you are hitting the brake, but the car is going faster, so I need to hit the brakes harder, and its a feedback/panic cycle loop.
Damnit, my googling is failing, but I read some articles and a paper on it right when the massive "Toyota unintended Acceleration" drama ensued, aka 99% of the cases were floormats and people having brain farts.

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
I dont do it because I drive a stick but it seems like it would be harder to mix up pedals if you have each foot covering a pedal on an auto. In racing games I drive with one foot on the throttle and another on the brake and ive never gotten anything mixed up. I dont hear about motorcyclists confusing the operation of the transmission with the gas/brake either.

What siochain was talking about is potential evidence for driving with two feet being safer - if you have one foot pushing a pedal and youre certain of which one it is but youre wrong then youre going to be more likely to push it harder. Youre only using one leg and thats what your feedback loop is operating on.

I guess if youre just sitting there with your feet flat on the floor and then you start flailing your legs about when you want your car to do a thing you might be likely to confuse things. If you keep the pedals covered then I dont see how you could mix them up and if you do mix them up you have another leg to try when things go wrong.

Old people are probably just dumb.

And as a preemptive counter to :goonsay: when I say cover a pedal to do not mean resting your foot on a pedal.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Jesus you kids today.

65 is so fuckin' old, let's make those grey hairs go to the DMV and suck-start the government employees each year.

quote:

He (Juan Manuel Fangio) returned to the spotlight in 1994, when he publicly opposed a new Province of Buenos Aires law denying driving licences to those over 80 (which included Fangio). Denied a renewal of his card, Fangio reportedly challenged Traffic Bureau personnel to a race between Buenos Aires and seaside Mar del Plata (a 400 km (250 mi) distance) in two hours or less, following which an exception was made for the five-time champion.

Now get the gently caress off my lawn and out of the hammer lane, the Snowman, is comin' through!

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Sometimes I'll drive with two feet if I'm in stop and go traffic where everyone is packed in pretty tight. Like sanity said, you don't actually rest your foot on the pedal, so I wouldn't recommend it for the elderly or infirm.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I just had a flagger get upset with me for trying to proceed, after he motioned me through the intersection by pointing to the left. I asked him "the gently caress? You motioned me through," and he said that he was indicating that I could turn left if I wanted, despite the fact that I did not have my signal on, and turning left would not get me to my destination (I could've worked out my ability to turn left all on my own, obviously).

Maybe the problem with construction workers getting injured isn't just because people occasionally speed through construction zones, but also because the people working there are often literal retards who do things unsafely.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Kids needs licenses at 15 because driving them around is so exhausting and I can't ask the maid to do it she doesn't even drive an SUV can you imagine what people would think if they were seen getting into that car!

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I'm back in car country after living in a big city for a few years and while waiting to get my own I've been a passenger with each of my 65 yo parents a bunch lately. My mom is a great driver, very active and attentive, drives stick (well). Pleasure to cruise around with.

My dad is infuriating. He recently bought a truck because of course, tailgates like nobody's business, rolls all over the place in parking lots and stoplights. Just drives aggressively and dumbly. When he used my mom's car to drive us all around, he stalled it out twice in different intersections. His eyesight is still good and his brain isn't mush, he just drives like an rear end in a top hat and it makes me mad.

The worst part is, is that I want to learn to drive stick (learned on an automatic and just never got around to it, so ashamed), and my mom keeps insisting that I learn with my dad because teaching stresses her out. But mom he sucks at driving and you know it, let's just make this mother-daughter time :(

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

PT6A posted:

I just had a flagger get upset with me for trying to proceed, after he motioned me through the intersection by pointing to the left. I asked him "the gently caress? You motioned me through," and he said that he was indicating that I could turn left if I wanted, despite the fact that I did not have my signal on, and turning left would not get me to my destination (I could've worked out my ability to turn left all on my own, obviously).

Maybe the problem with construction workers getting injured isn't just because people occasionally speed through construction zones, but also because the people working there are often literal retards who do things unsafely.

Flagger got herself and a couple of people killed for being retarded a couple of years ago. Daffy bitch did it a couple of times to me so I knew what happened when I heard of the accident, but she would work too close to the crew (and she was primary "slow" flagger, not a stop flagger) and would, I poo poo you not, pop out from between the barrels to "slow" traffic down (construction speed for the area was 55mph and open lane) and wave her flag into oncoming traffic. She played pop goes the weasel to someone that locked them up caused the second person in line to swerve over into the dead lane, collected her and two guys (which she shouldn't have been near anyway) and they all went into the back of a flatbed for the chop at 45mph.

Of course it was a big crying shame, but next week everybody was at least following the loving rules again.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
flaggers are construction people too dumb to use shovels. think on that.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BigPaddy posted:

Just to note that it is not reciprocal. I needed to do the full Massachusetts driving test to get a license as they wouldn't just give me one based on my UK licence. Also if you want to drive the gearbox of the gods you need to prove you are worthy.

As I understand it, it's because US licenses are state issued, while a British licence (and I assume many others) are issued by a national body. As such, to have any agreement over exchange would constitute an engagemet between a US state and a foreign government, which is not legal under US law. Someone with specific legal/constitutional knowededge can probably straighten out whether or not that's the case.

xzzy posted:

Ugh, there's a guy who writes for The Telegraph as "Honest John" who advocates this. It's bollocks, bollocks, bollocks, and while there are good reasons to left-foot-brake, they aren't what's being discussed in these cases.

First time I drove an auto, muscle memory resulted in me doing an unintentional emergency stop as I went for a nonexistent clutch, but it doesn't take long to turn that instinct off. I do occasionally catch another pedal while driving, but that's a "big feet in small footwell" problem, not me going senile prematurely.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

go3 posted:

flaggers are construction people too dumb to use lean on shovels. think on that.

Yeah some are.

Poor bastard I saw yesterday flagging... christ almighty. Dude was one of those really fat guys (and this is coming from a fat guy) that can't wear pants, so it's sweats. It's fuckin' 98F out, so it's gotta be 120F coming off the pavement and he's out waddling around trying to control traffic. I'm like thinking I should kick off a case of water for the bastard and have the meatwagon come watch him for the heart attack I know is coming.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

BadSamaritan posted:

The worst part is, is that I want to learn to drive stick (learned on an automatic and just never got around to it, so ashamed), and my mom keeps insisting that I learn with my dad because teaching stresses her out. But mom he sucks at driving and you know it, let's just make this mother-daughter time :(

Watch some YouTube videos, steal her car, and teach yourself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

BadSamaritan posted:

If you can do better than this guy, you're doing okay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDR2sWtEho

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

InterceptorV8 posted:

Jesus you kids today.

65 is so fuckin' old, let's make those grey hairs go to the DMV and suck-start the government employees each year.

Now get the gently caress off my lawn and out of the hammer lane, the Snowman, is comin' through!

I know this is most likely a joke or hyperbole, but when you've been rear-ended by a 78 year old guy while sitting at a red light at a 4 way intersection, and said 78 year old is driving an F-150 doing 45+ MPH and you're in a little Contour and he doesn't hit his brakes because he's not paying attention to what's going on, and the impact breaks your driver's seat into the recline position and drat near breaks your neck, you tend to not give a rat's rear end about how great the elderly think they can operate a motor vehicle. I've still got the pictures of the car at home, I may post them later.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ozz81 posted:

I know this is most likely a joke or hyperbole, but when you've been rear-ended by a 78 year old guy while sitting at a red light at a 4 way intersection, and said 78 year old is driving an F-150 doing 45+ MPH and you're in a little Contour and he doesn't hit his brakes because he's not paying attention to what's going on, and the impact breaks your driver's seat into the recline position and drat near breaks your neck, you tend to not give a rat's rear end about how great the elderly think they can operate a motor vehicle. I've still got the pictures of the car at home, I may post them later.

Yeah, the majority of "being able to drive" has nothing to do with being able to control a car at high speed under controlled conditions. Max Verstappen was an F1 test driver at 16, meaning he was a reasonably proficient racing driver well before that; that doesn't mean he should get an exception to hold a full driver's license at 14 or 15 or whatever, because being able to drive a car in traffic is less about high-performance driving ability and more about judgement and awareness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Siochain posted:

There is an actual term for this. I can't find it for the life of me, but its effectively a sort of cognitive dissonance. You are SO SURE you are hitting the brake, but the car is going faster, so I need to hit the brakes harder, and its a feedback/panic cycle loop.
Damnit, my googling is failing, but I read some articles and a paper on it right when the massive "Toyota unintended Acceleration" drama ensued, aka 99% of the cases were floormats and people having brain farts.

I recall reading an article in one of the big car magazines a year or two ago after the latest unintended acceleration news headlines. It was basically debunking it all. One of the things they mentioned is that every single unintended acceleration case the NHTSA has ever investigated was determined to be either driver error or fraud. A car has never been at fault in any case they investigated.