Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

For me, the broad appeal of the rear end Creed games is the world I get to explore. Exploring Florence, Rome and Constantinople was really rad! But that's not necessarily something that needs to stay in a historical setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic Boss
Jan 19, 2007

:ocelot:
You're pretty good.
:ocelot:

Lord Lambeth posted:

For me, the broad appeal of the rear end Creed games is the world I get to explore. Exploring Florence, Rome and Constantinople was really rad! But that's not necessarily something that needs to stay in a historical setting.

I think this is everyone's only appeal for those games. Other than ship fighting.

Does anyone like the combat? The stealth? The present-day plot? The story? The tailing?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I actually really like the historical stuff, if you completely excised the modern day poo poo about Desmond and his boring friends I'd eat up every single game in the series. The tailing is really annoying but there's something awesome about stealthy taking guys out before anyone notices.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ryoshi posted:

I picked The Sims 3 back up on my new computer on a whim and I feel like it's gotten a million times more obnoxious about DLC in the two or three years since I played it last. It's possible that it's stayed the same and my tolerance for it has just gone down but it's super in-your-face annoying.

If you mean the dlc items showing up in menus that was added in a patch. If you dig in the options they can be turned off though.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Cleretic posted:

I actually thought that was pretty neat, since every iteration of the boss fights played completely differently. You see new strategies form and need to plan your own out in turn, with each one generally being harder than the last.

I never actually beat all the final-cycle job bosses, the Salve Master-Black Mage-Conjurer (I think) fight did me in before I could even do any damage.

I cheesed the optional chapter 8 fights with the Mega Dark Nebula combo.
4 Dark Knights. Jack up their speed. Whoever is fastest gets Spiritualism as a secondary.

Everyone 4x Dark Nebulas. Except the one with Spiritism. They cast the "Absorb All Elements" spell on anyone who doesn't have a Dark Shield equipped, and any additional actions go towards more Nebulas.

It pretty much annihilates any fight except Lord DeRosso, who manages to survive usually. Even then, if you have your Spiritualist use the "Null Status Ailments" spell, you can usually survive long enough to get back into the fight.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I hate how they took out the cool 'The Truth' puzzles from the series that were in AC2 and Brotherhood, those were the high points of the games for me. They brought that stuff back a little in Black Flag, but not quite enough. I could also not care less about the dreary medieval plotlines of the games for the most part, unless it had to do with the whole alien/gods/whatever artifacts or the primary storyline.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

death .cab for qt posted:

Except for picking up the trinket bag which lets you carry two trinkets, rendering it as a permanent heal in boss rooms + boss health reduction + still capable of letting you use other items.

Or you could just, you know, not pick up the tick. It's a penalty for making the game strictly easier if you find the bosses to be too tanky with your current items. Locking yourself out of the mostly-useless trinkets (with the exception of the flat penny or counterfeit penny) is a moot point if you're rocking Soy Milk for some reason and just want bosses to die faster.

Isaac is definitely not about "always pick up every item", it's actually extremely stupid to do that. Leave some items alone unless they synergize with your current run. Like, don't pick up My Reflection when you have Ipecac, or don't pick up Soy Milk when you have Proptosis, or just don't pick up the Tick

So, I can either get a rare item in the same run, or know ahead of time that picking up this item, identifiable only by its image, is going to make the rest of the run less fun.

Yeah, no, it still drags the game down for me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Vic Boss posted:

I think this is everyone's only appeal for those games. Other than ship fighting.

Does anyone like the combat? The stealth? The present-day plot? The story? The tailing?

I think the Arkham games and Shadow of Mordor do these things much better than any of the AC games.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

So, I can either get a rare item in the same run, or know ahead of time that picking up this item, identifiable only by its image, is going to make the rest of the run less fun.

Yeah, no, it still drags the game down for me.

You are not gonna like the more obtuse and mean unlocks :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I could never even get into vanilla BoI because of how many items there were that you had to keep track of, and then with the expansion and now the remake it's just too much for me to handle without having a drat guide open at all times. Which just doesn't sound like much fun to me.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I just kind of roll with whatever I get? I guess I'm not grognardy enough to min max a roguelite.

slingshot effect
Sep 28, 2009

the wonderful wizard of welp

Judge Tesla posted:

The bad guy who was introduced in DLC for Dragon Age 2 no less. :v:

Dragon Age as a whole has a real bad habit of pulling major villains and major-minor characters from the extended universe material they pump out, like the tie-in novels and comics and poo poo. Which is fine, whatever, but in the game they give you pretty much no context for and/or background material on them because they assume you've totally read some badly written novel about an elf fucker bard or whatever. Taking a major villain from his intro in a $15 DLC for a game that not many people actually enjoyed enough to pay for more content is just par for the course at this point.

Things dragging this game down: game companies who cram half their world building into supplemental materials and then grossly overestimate how much their their playerbase is going to actually read them/pay for them.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

See also: Mass Effect. It's totally okay to bring in characters from outside the game in but you have to earn it. Which Kai Leng did not do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

slingshot effect posted:

Things dragging this game down: game companies who cram half their world building into supplemental materials and then grossly overestimate how much their their playerbase is going to actually read them/pay for them.

I was going to say I'm happy Bethesda is better about this than most other RPG developers, but then I realized most of the interesting worldbuilding in the Elder Scrolls isn't covered anywhere.

What's that? You were interested in the Thalmor, and wanted to see their rise to power? That's nice.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, keeping track of item synergy is only really for edge cases like My Reflection and Ipecac. Most items you can use for whatever, and if you can't the images are quite distinct.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

slingshot effect posted:

Dragon Age as a whole has a real bad habit of pulling major villains and major-minor characters from the extended universe material they pump out, like the tie-in novels and comics and poo poo. Which is fine, whatever, but in the game they give you pretty much no context for and/or background material on them because they assume you've totally read some badly written novel about an elf fucker bard or whatever. Taking a major villain from his intro in a $15 DLC for a game that not many people actually enjoyed enough to pay for more content is just par for the course at this point.

Back in the day Kingdom Hearts 2 was really bad about this too; if you wanted to have any idea what was going on at the beginning of the game you had to have played a tie-in card game that was on a completely different system.

Another semi-related example is Don't Starve, whose entire story set-up is an animated short that isn't even featured in the game at all. (at least on PC, I've heard that the console ports play the video at the opening)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXP4_2qRHng

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

death .cab for qt posted:

You are not gonna like the more obtuse and mean unlocks :v:
Yeah, I had a good Samson run, blundered into the boss rush zone, killed about five bosses I'd never seen, realised that I'd probably never top that and ended my playing that game phase on a high note.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Somfin posted:

Yeah, I had a good Samson run, blundered into the boss rush zone, killed about five bosses I'd never seen, realised that I'd probably never top that and ended my playing that game phase on a high note.

For reference, in order to unlock every item in the game and get 100% completion, you first need to unlock a secret character by dying in very specific ways as multiple characters, all in a row.

This secret character cannot pick up any kind of health. It is a one-hit-kill scenario, unless you pick up a very specific item which gives you one free hit per room. Otherwise, being damaged in any way will kill you outright no matter what.

You have to beat the Boss Rush on Hard Mode, as well as the two secret bonus final levels (on Hard Mode), as this character. The items all only show up in rare reward rooms called Angel Rooms, which require specific conditions be met (kill a floor's boss past Basement 1 without taking red heart damage, unlocking a Devil Room, then not trading any hearts for items, then doing the same no-hit floor boss kill, which gives you a 50% Chance of finding an Angel Room.) Then you need to get lucky and have the item you unlocked appear in the Angel Room instead of the other, more common Angel Room items. All of this to just collect the item, which then finally adds to your item-collection completion percentage.

Granted, the game doesn't reward you for this, it's just a constant 99%/100% completion tick which may drive some people bonkers. But if you think just being unable to drop a trinket is a dick move, you haven't seen anything yet.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've never been able to understand why binding of isaac is as popular as it is. The design is piss compared to so many other roguelites.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

slingshot effect posted:

Halo 4 was pretty bad about it, with a bad guy who gets no introduction but all of a sudden Master Chief and Cortana start talking like they know who he is.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I've never been able to understand why binding of isaac is as popular as it is. The design is piss compared to so many other roguelites.
It's a pretty competent two-stick shooter with enough randomization to keep it replayable.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's a pretty competent two-stick shooter with enough randomization to keep it replayable.
Plus, it came out in the dark era before more competent and enjoyable contemporary twin-stick shooters, such as Hatred.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Cleretic posted:

I was going to say I'm happy Bethesda is better about this than most other RPG developers, but then I realized most of the interesting worldbuilding in the Elder Scrolls isn't covered anywhere.

What's that? You were interested in the Thalmor, and wanted to see their rise to power? That's nice.

I read on some website that the Thalmor banned Talos worship in Skyrim as part of some plan to unmade reality itself and ascend/return to godhood and I thought "Well then why the hell am I making daggers on a farm and fighting a dragon?" why couldn't the game be about the way more interesting stuff going on somewhere else?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

2house2fly posted:

I read on some website that the Thalmor banned Talos worship in Skyrim as part of some plan to unmade reality itself and ascend/return to godhood and I thought "Well then why the hell am I making daggers on a farm and fighting a dragon?" why couldn't the game be about the way more interesting stuff going on somewhere else?

The gently caress? In the game it just comes across that the Thalmor banned Talos worship because they could not tolerate the idea of praying to a human, IIRC.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The sheer number of item combinations and potential for being extremely overpowered makes for a fun run, when it eventually happens. Skill is rewarded pretty highly once you start no-hitting floors and learning item combinations that you should game the system to find, like Guppy items if you somehow get 1 or 2 on Floor 1. It's basically as fun to play as it is to break apart, and breaking it by gunning for OP items is encouraged to a degree. It just also has a number of dick-moves in store for the achievement completionists. The poor design choices stay fairly limited to "some items can gently caress up your run but after the first time you see them you'll do better with them" (Ipecac, Soy Milk, Cursed Eye) and "let's lock OP and gimmick items behind stupid requirements" (Godhead, D100, Mind/Body/Soul)

E: oh, and some enemies just take too many hits. I'm looking at you, basically-every-spider-and-Greed-heads! :argh:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

I'm in the same boat. To me, it seems like a try-hard-to-be-edgy Newgrounds game from the early 00s. I'm glad people enjoy it but I'll never get why it's so popular.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

DStecks posted:

The gently caress? In the game it just comes across that the Thalmor banned Talos worship because they could not tolerate the idea of praying to a human, IIRC.

In the game, sure, but in all the crazy, :catdrugs: backstory, A) Gods are powered by belief and so will actually cease to exist if worship is completely stamped out and B) since the player destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan in Morrowind, Talos has been the sole force holding the mortal world together. The Thalmor know this, and believe themselves to be descended from a race that chilled with the gods pre-creation, and they want to put things back that way. At least that's how I remember it, I haven't looked too closely at this poo poo in at least a year.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

AlphaKretin posted:

In the game, sure, but in all the crazy, :catdrugs: backstory, A) Gods are powered by belief and so will actually cease to exist if worship is completely stamped out and B) since the player destroyed the Heart of Lorkhan in Morrowind, Talos has been the sole force holding the mortal world together. The Thalmor know this, and believe themselves to be descended from a race that chilled with the gods pre-creation, and they want to put things back that way. At least that's how I remember it, I haven't looked too closely at this poo poo in at least a year.

The backstory and lore to the world of Elder Scrolls is 100% :catdrugs: due to the work of certified crazy person Michael Kirkbride. It's like the absolute loving worst specfic ever, and it's so weird that the complete insanity is covered up by such a bland series of games.

Actually the relative normalcy of the actual games probably is what holds it all together.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

The backstory and lore to the world of Elder Scrolls is 100% :catdrugs: due to the work of certified crazy person Michael Kirkbride. It's like the absolute loving worst specfic ever, and it's so weird that the complete insanity is covered up by such a bland series of games.

Actually the relative normalcy of the actual games probably is what holds it all together.

It's funny because Skyrim and Oblivion have such incredibly mundane stories and settings. You'd never know there was supposed to be more to it than Ye Olde Genericke Fantasylande.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Moon Monster posted:

It's funny because Skyrim and Oblivion have such incredibly mundane stories and settings. You'd never know there was supposed to be more to it than Ye Olde Genericke Fantasylande.

To a point there's something weird appealing about it. I mean yeah I wish bethesda games could be a little more inspired but knowing there's this ridiculously insane god crap going on beyond your characters comprehension or ability to influence outside of minor means is pretty awesome.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

A gripe I have about Final Fantasy VI: Narshe and Figaro both look like really really cool places, but the game has too many characters to develop for it to spend time on world-building. It's such a wasted opportunity.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and I just don't talk to NPCs enough, who knows? I kinda hope I am!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

A gripe I have about Final Fantasy VI: Narshe and Figaro both look like really really cool places, but the game has too many characters to develop for it to spend time on world-building. It's such a wasted opportunity.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong and I just don't talk to NPCs enough, who knows? I kinda hope I am!

Figaro gets some fleshing out, given two main characters position as monarch heirs, thoughts its exclusively at that desert castle.

Narshe basically only gets filler for its recent history.

Tbh ff6's world would make for a wonderful series setup in both the original esper wars, and the post kefka WoR.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

StealthArcher posted:

Figaro gets some fleshing out, given two main characters position as monarch heirs, thoughts its exclusively at that desert castle.

Narshe basically only gets filler for its recent history.

Tbh ff6's world would make for a wonderful series setup in both the original esper wars, and the post kefka WoR.

Figaro's history gets some fleshing out, sure, but I want to know more about the awesome drill castle and Narshe's apparent (but as is my complaint never really commented on) steampunk-ness.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
See I liked that those places were self-explanatory. I don't need or even want a whole thing of "lore" explaining why the snow-covered coal mining town in the mountains has steam heating pipes everywhere. If a thing is there in the game for you to experience I don't see the need to recapitulate that in text too.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

swamp waste posted:

See I liked that those places were self-explanatory. I don't need or even want a whole thing of "lore" explaining why the snow-covered coal mining town in the mountains has steam heating pipes everywhere. If a thing is there in the game for you to experience I don't see the need to recapitulate that in text too.

I really miss the era when games did this. Now it's pick up twenty pieces of notebook paper to learn about the history of some dude you don't care about but here's 100 XP for doing it!

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

RagnarokAngel posted:

To a point there's something weird appealing about it. I mean yeah I wish bethesda games could be a little more inspired but knowing there's this ridiculously insane god crap going on beyond your characters comprehension or ability to influence outside of minor means is pretty awesome.

I agree. Even though Oblivion was kind of bland I appreciated that at the end of the day you were little more than a glorified bodyguard for Martin, who was the real hero. And it made the post-game more satisfying since the main quest ends with "Welp, my boss got statue'd by a magic amulet, guess I gotta go look for a new job." Skyrim's whole shtick about you being a super special snowflake with Septim blood because reasons removed the awe and mystery of the behind the scenes god-level stuff. So when I play Skyrim I tend to ignore the main quest to gently caress off into the wilderness to poke monsters with sticks for their gooey bits, which is somehow more satisfying than being a dragon slaying demi-god.

Related, I picked up Elder Scrolls: Online and have found it pleasantly enjoyable. It's far from perfect, but I'm having enough fun that I know I'll get my money's worth out of it at the very least.

However one of the bigger things dragging it down is that the plot and dialogue is written as a single player game. The NPC's rarely, if ever, acknowledge that you're just one player among thousands. So the quests end up inconsistent since you'll inevitably complete 99% of them alongside two dozen other players while the NPC's will behave as if you are the only person in the world doing anything. It also ruins any sense of accomplishment since spelunking into a dangerous cavern to fight an all-powerful necromancer means you'll be accompanied by other players that the game won't acknowledge in any way and you all get credit for any quests completed regardless of any actual teamwork.

Simply tweaking the writing to acknowledge other players would fix all of this. Instead of "Head down to the beach and wipe out the Maormer invaders" it should be "I've sent other agents down to the beach to wipe out the Maormer invaders, go aid them." Bam, problem fixed.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I love Witcher 3, but god drat, can game designers PLEASE do something to improve navigation methods? I feel like I spend most of my time looking at the mini map and not the trail I'm riding. This is dumb because I know the game is huge and is graphically one of, if not THE best looking game I've ever played.

I made this same complaint about all the GTA games. I wish they could have added a sort of Gold Trail thing from Fable 3 to help you find your objective.

The only other gripe I have is having to go through the menus to re apply oils to my swords. I know you aren't supposed to be able to during a fight, but drat, couldn't they have made a more convenient way to do this. If I'm in a swamp area, I'm gonna wanna keep re applying my Necrophage oil, so what's the big deal? Just disable the quick function during combat.

I still love this game though!

Moon Man has a new favorite as of 07:10 on Jun 13, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Moon Man posted:

I love Witcher 3, but god drat, can game designers PLEASE do something to improve navigation methods? I feel like I spend most of my time looking at the mini map and not the trail I'm riding. This is dumb because I know the game is huge and is graphically one of, if not THE best looking game I've ever played.

I made this same complaint about all the GTA games. I wish they could have added a sort of Gold Trail thing from Fable 3 to help you find your objective.

I actually think GTA 5 handled this really well. The GPS in the mini-map is really useful, it plots a smart and direct route to your goal and draws a path on the streets in the mini-map... but if all you do is stare at the map, you're going to slam into other cars constantly and never get anywhere. So you have to use the map smartly, figure out how many blocks you need to go before you turn, and actually pay attention to where you're driving.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It's telling when you don't need to look at the minimap to know where you're going. San Andreas on PS2, I knew that place like the back of my hand. I'm getting there with GTA 5. GTA 4 I knew the subway system and used it almost exclusively, but that game you could also hire cabs to drive you places and it wasn't a hassle because you could just hail them from the sidewalk. It takes like a hundred hours to get to that point, though. In general, the HUD is very useful but I wish there was selective opacity, so you could make things like the minimap more transparent but keep useful things like a crosshair or health visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Ugh, I just hit the Really loving Annoying scenario in Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, La-La Land. There's one minorly annoying goal (Have a VIP look at a fireworks show! Hope he pays attention!) and two significantly annoying ones (Two VIPs want to see two differently scened areas that basically require you to build isolated themed zones, and it has a buggy ride pre-built for you.