Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

ukle posted:

Yes that needs to be fixed as if rebels fire they you only have a month to engage them or else they cap and then cause 10 years of separation. How to fix it though god knows, as the rebel mechanic is necessary but them instantly loving over a Provence is a bit harsh.

One month to cap a fort or a fort-less province, while you own a fort next to it? Either way that sounds wrong. I guess rebels should consolidate and try to walk on the nearest fort, just like countries have to do now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
What's with the music suddenly reducing in volume as the game loads?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GaussianCopula posted:

just change it so that rebels need to hold the province for a certain amount of time, giving you the chance to recapture it.

Or have a system where the longer the rebels are in control the longer/worse the after-effects will be. People won't really be that inspired by that time the local rebels held the province for a couple months, but a couple years? Have it a gradual system.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The free westernization decision requires coring either Danzig, Prague, or Wien. Poland or Lithuania are going to have a super easy time westernizing.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

ukle posted:

Yes that needs to be fixed as if rebels fire they you only have a month to engage them or else they cap and then cause 10 years of separation. How to fix it though god knows, as the rebel mechanic is necessary but them instantly loving over a Provence is a bit harsh.

Also the costs for Diplo Annexing is VERY VERY high, and really needs to be toned down by at least half. Diplo annexing even a small state in the early game (21 development total) loses 5 diplo points a turn and takes 3 years!

So far looks good but it really needs some tweaks and fixes to be workable.

Rebel occupations don't cause seperatism anymore.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Sorced posted:

It adds 10 years if there's any separatism. Dunno what happens if there's no separatism to start with, but it certainly adds to it if already present.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Sorced posted:

I thought the same thing from watching Jakes stream but I was getting pop ups for 10 years when rebels popped up this morning.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Well, I guess that means my Austria can conquer Italy with no worries :v:

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Saw this in the patch notes:

quote:

Natives no longer boost basetax+mp when colony is finished, but instead provide a permanent reduction of development costs.

Since you can't actually develop provinces without the expansion, doesn't this mean it's pointless to not exterminate natives if you don't have the xpac?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Vodos posted:

It adds 10 years if there's any separatism. Dunno what happens if there's no separatism to start with, but it certainly adds to it if already present.

Thats weird it didn't for me earlier :shrug:

e: Just messed around with this for a bit and it seems like your guess is correct and it only adds separatism if theres some separatism already there.

Sorced fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 9, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Joshlemagne posted:

Saw this in the patch notes:

Since you can't actually develop provinces without the expansion, doesn't this mean it's pointless to not exterminate natives if you don't have the xpac?

Nope, the bonus you get for -dev cost is replaced with something else, as I understand it. So you would get a different bonus, but probably something decent enough to justify not killing all of the natives everywhere.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

ukle posted:

Also the costs for Diplo Annexing is VERY VERY high, and really needs to be toned down by at least half. Diplo annexing even a small state in the early game (21 development total) loses 5 diplo points a turn and takes 3 years!

So far looks good but it really needs some tweaks and fixes to be workable.

This was part of the reason that killed two England starts already, loving Richard of York rolling 6 shock was retarded as gently caress too. Overall I rage quit for tonight, the sheer spam of negative events I got was just too much. Figured England would be a fun start now with no HYW but jesus were these 90 minutes retarded as gently caress.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, I guess that means my Austria can conquer Italy with no worries :v:

Yeah I'm thinking of starting an Austria campaign just so I can eat Italy.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Does the + button not speed up the game right now? Whether I hold shift or not it doesn't do anything. - still works fine for lowering the speed, though. :shrug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Works for me.

Edit: holy poo poo best change of the patch: Papal Influence can exceed 100. No more wasting influence because you didn't press the beatify button as soon as you hit 100!

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Works for me too, though the game is running a lot slower overall.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Allyn posted:

Does the + button not speed up the game right now? Whether I hold shift or not it doesn't do anything. - still works fine for lowering the speed, though. :shrug:

Having the same issue, yeah

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, they definitely messed up some keyboard stuff in this patch.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I spent 400+ gold in loans to buy mercenaries to siege Yemen's capital because the attrition is ridiculous.

Finally finish the siege (after six years), and I don't have enough diplo to take any provinces because of my war exhaustion. Najd and Shammar rebel doomstacks appear and instantly siege down their provinces.

And that's how my Hejaz game ended.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jackson Taus posted:

I am holding off to buy because I am on an EU4 lull and waiting to see if there's anything out of the Steam summer sale I'd rather have, but I am incredibly interested if the Italian exit from the HRE and the new trade node set ups turn northern Italy into the Thunderdome it was supposed to be in the 16th century.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Found a weird bug: wanted to check out how low development cost goes with development efficiency, so started from the Seven Years' War bookmark, as England. For some reason Northumberland and Ulster are the only seats which show up in Parliament UI, but when you click on London or Oxfordshire, they have claim to have seats too, preventing you from granting them one. Something odd going on there.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Anybody on Mac finding that the + button on the keyboard doesn't work to increase game speed?

Also, is there any way to completely disable edge scrolling?

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 9, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I know it's a bit early, but does anyone have any thoughts on efficient fort placement?

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Hah that was fun. Just grabbed the One Dynasty to Rule Them All achievement after 3 seconds while playing as Poland.

(I'm guessing that this is because of the interregnum and 8 or more other countries having regencies :shobon:)

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I know it's a bit early, but does anyone have any thoughts on efficient fort placement?

It may be a good idea but not very cost effecient to put your forts as pairs next to each other. If they siege down one of the forts but are chased off, the fort automatically goes back to you because it has another fort right next to it.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Trujillo posted:

It may be a good idea but not very cost effecient to put your forts as pairs next to each other. If they siege down one of the forts but are chased off, the fort automatically goes back to you because it has another fort right next to it.

There is no way zone of control flips fort provinces, right?

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I'm so used to diplo annexing that I unthinkingly fed a opm 3 provinces... 500 diplo points to annex :prepop:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Arzakon posted:

There is no way zone of control flips fort provinces, right?

From what I could tell they do. As Ceylon I took Vijayangar's capital and they had a fort right next to it. When I walked out of the capital it flipped back to Vijayanagar.

My Ceylon run was going good until the seperatist rebels I had been keeping a close eye on went from 70% to 140% in one month. I would've gotten a screenshot but it was during the monthly autosave, and when the first day ticked they rebelled and wiped my armies. I thought it could only go up by 10% a month at most?

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Jackson Taus posted:

OK, so how do I force these lands back into the HRE? Do I have to actually eat all of Italy and add them to the HRE manually?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Okay, so it looks like two pretty tough achievements have been included with this patch. Meissner Porcelain: As Saxony, have you or your vassals own all Chinaware producing provinces in the world. Basically branch out of the HRE and do an Eastern Conquest. You're stuck in the middle of Germany, so you can't start colonizing anytime soon.

Big Blue Blob... I don't know. You just have to own 100 European core provinces as France. By 1500. With coring costs getting even more expensive, is that going to be ridiculously hard? I don't actually know, I've never played as France. And this patch weakened them since they don't start with vassals.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Trujillo posted:

From what I could tell they do. As Ceylon I took Vijayangar's capital and they had a fort right next to it. When I walked out of the capital it flipped back to Vijayanagar.
Capitals aren't really forts for most purposes, they just get a free "fort level." I really doubt this would have happened if the capital had a real fort.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

This was part of the reason that killed two England starts already, loving Richard of York rolling 6 shock was retarded as gently caress too. Overall I rage quit for tonight, the sheer spam of negative events I got was just too much. Figured England would be a fun start now with no HYW but jesus were these 90 minutes retarded as gently caress.

Speaking of England, what happened to the Hundred Year War? I haven't played the game in a while or paid attention to patches, but I notice England and France start out at peace now, so what changed?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Trujillo posted:

I think this is because capitals don't, strictly speaking, have forts. They get one by default, but it's not an actual building. Feels like a bug imo, otherwise you can build a fort in every province around your capital and essentially fortify it much, much more heavily.

Apoffys posted:

Speaking of England, what happened to the Hundred Year War? I haven't played the game in a while or paid attention to patches, but I notice England and France start out at peace now, so what changed?

You can now get a mission which gives you the union CB.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Okay, my France game has gotten off to a spectacularly poor start. I decided to try to eat Provence, and while I was fabricating a claim they allied with England. I figured I could still take them on with Castile and Hungary as my allies, but then Burgundy and their 800 Dutch OPM vassals piled in and by the time the smoke cleared I had taken 5 loans, lost Neomours to Burgundy, and been forced to release Auvergne and Foix and was left with the distinct impression that I have no idea how to play EU4.

Which... is true, probably. I haven't played a long game since ByzLP, which was before even Art of War, so I basically have no idea how to do anything anymore. I don't know how to fight wars with the changes to forts and unit movement, I don't know how I should be spending monarch points with the new development and building system, and I'm pretty rusty about the stuff that didn't change. :smith: Everyone said Art of War was basically EU5, and now we're on EU6. :v:

I'm still debating trying to salvage that game, because I'm France, dang it, but if I don't what are some more sensible opening moves to have made as France? And/or a better starting nation for somebody who's basically re-learning the game from scratch because it's changed so much since the last time I played it for any length of time (which was like a million years ago anyway).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Ottomans are even simpler and easier if you just want to learn land warfare.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

England is super fun now.

Also what is Genoa doing in Constantinople??

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Pretty sure Poland is the strongest country in the game now since Lithuania got mega buffed by the change to Development and they get to westernise basically for free. I guess TO and Hungary are stronger now as well but Lithuania is such a big beefy attack dog.

Why the gently caress does forming Italy as a republic still turn you into a monarchy, how has this one dumb thing existed for so long. It makes even less sense now that it also drops you from the HRE; on the one hand it's clearly supposed to represent usurping or refuting the Emperor's nominal title of King of Italy, but on the other hand that makes no sense for republics anyway. Unless we're going to force all republics to change into monarchies when forming previously-monarchic tags then it's stupid to just do it for this one.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fort mapmode really needs to show you zones of control. I'm really disappointed that it doesn't.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

Why the gently caress does forming Italy as a republic still turn you into a monarchy, how has this one dumb thing existed for so long. It makes even less sense now that it also drops you from the HRE; on the one hand it's clearly supposed to represent usurping or refuting the Emperor's nominal title of King of Italy, but on the other hand that makes no sense for republics anyway. Unless we're going to force all republics to change into monarchies when forming previously-monarchic tags then it's stupid to just do it for this one.

It's so baffling when 2 of the only 3 merchant republics on the entire map aren't able to use their natural country-forming decisions. I really don't get it :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

With monarch points removed from building costs, you can now basically hire the highest level advisors without having to worry about wasting monarch points, because if you ever get close to the limit you can just spend them on development. Before you had to balance monarch points and money, because if you were spending too much you wouldn't be able to build buildings, and you could very easily end up wasting MP.

• Locked thread