Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Just finished season 3 of DBZA. Is Cell singing Mr Sandman the high water mark of this whole thing? It can't get better, can it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Season 3's not over yet and I'd say at least it hasn't gotten any worse.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Season 3 officially ended with Cell's appearance. It was the Android Saga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

New Leaf posted:

I blast Perfect Kamehamehas into the ground all the time in Xenoverse and all it does is create a small dent that fades away after a few seconds. :(

Sadly, the Future Warrior is not Perfect enough to use the Perfect Kamehameha to its full power. It's my main Ultimate and I feel that pain too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Season 3 officially ended with Cell's appearance. It was the Android Saga.

I remember them saying that Cell's appearance was a midseason break because it was a natural stopping point. The first two "seasons" ended with a three episode fight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It dissapoints me DBM didn't include the hero from the best possible alternate universe in their comic.

I, of course, refer to the one, the only: Gokule

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm just going by the video uploaded as DBZA Season 3. For something that's been so goofy so often, they nailed making that scene super creepy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

zelah posted:

I'm just going by the video uploaded as DBZA Season 3. For something that's been so goofy so often, they nailed making that scene super creepy.

ultimately the abridged series is being done by people who are super fans of Dragonball in general. While they may poke fun, they know exactly what to do to make a scene effectively creepy or awesome.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

But are they powerful enough to blow up a star?

Beerus is alluded to have done so in RoF.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

it's 8 episodes. it's too short to become a slog, frankly.

please tell me this is on Netflix

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Parrotine posted:

please tell me this is on Netflix

Jojos isn't on netflix at least in America. :(

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's on Crunchyroll though, and they let you watch every episode older than a week for free.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
here's a scene that'd be pretty funny to see in Super;

and some other neat DB doodles by the same artist;

source is http://yotomore.tumblr.com/

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

New Leaf posted:

It's funny to me how early in the series they played the "my true power can destroy worlds" card- even with loving Nappa powering up causing earthquakes- and yet we have literal GODS facing off now and the planet seems to be doing just fine.

My theory for this was that it's not the power of the fighter that matters, it's the fighter's ability to contain and harness that power. When Goku and Gohan are training for Cell, Goku keeps talking about how wasteful the Super Saiyan transformation is because it uses so much ki. Once they've both mastered it, virtually nothing happens when they transform. In other words, the world shaking/skies darkening/rocks floating/whatever parts of powering up is simply ki leakage.

As for them actually blowing up worlds, others did a good job of explaining the amount of care everyone takes to avoid directing their attacks toward the planet after a very early point.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
More on thread-related curiosities I picked up in Japan.

I got this neato cup:

I saw a toy vending machine that had dragonball toys. The outside of the vending machine promised that I'd get one of the following:

Aw sweet! SSG Goku, Vegito, Beerus, Whis, or Uub? Odds are pretty good I get a pretty sweet character.

What am I gonna get?!

Even Uub is embarrassed.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

this one is too adorable :3:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

But the earth is fine because they are gods. Think about it, when you're mortal your power is unweildy, you do things like break glasses when you pick them up because you misjudged your control, but Goku and Beerus in BoG were not like mortals, there fight wasn't bombastic, someone actually complained to me that the fight looked very simple compared to other DB fights. The thing is it's like how Beerus is not muscled and SSG Goku was slimmer. In Toriyama's mind, becoming a God means overcoming the muscles to show power and the beam blasts that vaporizes cities. It's being able to throw a punch that can annihilate a suburb and just having it hit like regular.

When Beerus and Goku fought through the city, they didn't touch a single car, building or bridge even though they're both swinging around enough power to make super hero movies that end with orgasmic destruction sequences blush.

Being powerful means things blow up. Being God-Level means nothing has to blow up.

That's what impressed me of Battle of the Gods. It was so easy to just turn into a spectacle that tore apart the entire city, yet somehow there was such amazing restraint shown going to lengths to show that their fight was at such a higher level of control that not a single citizen, building or molecule of the city got hurt in the process.

I think a lot of DBZ fans saw it as a weakness as no buildings blew up to satisfy their destructive glee, but whatever, screw 'em.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Now I feel sort of bad for not only dumping on power levels in my game, but also adding in a "scenery destruction" mechanic which offers benefits (and some drawbacks, admittedly) to wrecking the terrain.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

I'm not that big a fan of TFS (their banter-heavy humor often gets too Whedon-y for my taste), but if there's one thing I'm impressed with, it's their ability to liven up action scenes through tightening and montage. This makes me anxious to see what they will do to Goku vs Cell, which I feel is one of the greatest fights in the entirety of DBZ.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fuego Fish posted:

Now I feel sort of bad for not only dumping on power levels in my game, but also adding in a "scenery destruction" mechanic which offers benefits (and some drawbacks, admittedly) to wrecking the terrain.

This all sound very complicated

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Namtab posted:

This all sound very complicated

Not really. It's basically like a little sliding scale that goes from "Pristine, Untouched Wasteland" to "Planet's Dyin', Cloud!" with about 4 steps in between. The various martial arts moves can, sometimes, increase the destruction level, especially if they're high-power ones. But you can also step in and stop the destruction from going any higher by taking the attack yourself. Sort of like when Trunks deflects Freeza's world-shattering bomb when the Android Saga starts.

Here's an example of a couple of the martial arts moves:

quote:

Spirit Bomb [0 Power]: Raise your hands in the air and ask everyone to lend you their energy. Everyone else at the table can give you Power from their own pools, including the GM. You can spend Power on the following options:

* [2 Power] Increase damage by one (by default, the spirit bomb will do no damage).
* [1 Power] Include a new target (by default, the spirit bomb will hit nobody).

Any unoccupied opponent that can attack you will do so each time you spend Power.

The Spirit Bomb is a no-power move that requires the rest of the table to give you Power (basically imagine every player having their own little pile of tokens or poker chips). During the course of the game you earn and spend Power to use moves. In this particular instance, everyone has to give you some, and then you spend it on making it actually effective, because using it as-is it will do nothing (just like the real Spirit Bomb).

Every time you spend that Power to increase the effectiveness of the Spirit Bomb, you're going to get your poo poo kicked in by any enemy who can kick your poo poo, meaning the rest of the team has to give you time to charge your attack by keeping the enemy busy.

Also, when it says "raise your hands in the air" that doesn't mean in-character, it means you have to do it at the table :colbert:

That said, here's a different move.

quote:

Kamehameha [6 Power]: Roll +Energy. On a hit, it does one point of damage for every point of damage you have taken. On a 7-9, increase Destruction by 1. On a 10+, increase Destruction by 1 if it is at 3 or less.

The Kamehameha requires at least 6 Power in the player's pool, making it on the expensive end of things, and you need to roll the dice and add your "Energy" stat (which is somewhere between -3 and +3). It deals damage based on how beat up you are, making it a very good finishing move. A partial success (a result between 7 and 9) will deal the regular amount of damage and wreck the place. A full success (10 or higher) will only do a little destruction.

(Ideally you need to be saying "ka... me... ha... me..." when you're shaking the dice in your hand, and then "HA" when you actually roll.)

Power levels are basically non-existent in the game, the progress is all done through contextual stuff, although I have yet to write up the exact mechanics for that. But there's still experience points and ways to "level up" your character, so don't worry about that.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Mordaedil posted:

That's what impressed me of Battle of the Gods. It was so easy to just turn into a spectacle that tore apart the entire city, yet somehow there was such amazing restraint shown going to lengths to show that their fight was at such a higher level of control that not a single citizen, building or molecule of the city got hurt in the process.

I think a lot of DBZ fans saw it as a weakness as no buildings blew up to satisfy their destructive glee, but whatever, screw 'em.

Same thing if you look at the first fight, SSJ3 Goku basically annihilates King Kai's planet trying to land a hit on Beerus, he's way more destructive but much weaker then he would be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Man I loved the latest DBZA episode.

It also strikes me that Tien could probably oneshot Final Form Frieza which is pretty baller.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Fuego Fish posted:

Really Cool Stuff

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Dragonball Z Extreme Botuden got rated by the AU board:
http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...FzNGazkU3P%252f

Looks like it's likely to hit the western markets then. I have been super pumped about this game and was so sure it wouldn't release outside of Japan since it had come with a previous game that we didn't get.

Don't know if we're getting all the extras, but it's a new 2D fighter by Arc Sys. My body is ready!

The cast is just loving ridiculous as well, upwards of Tekaichi 3 quality listing. Hopefully the best characters won't be relegated to "Support" choices. I'm betting choices like Chichi will be support only though.

Drowning Rabbit fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 9, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Dragonball Z Extreme Botuden got rated by the AU board:
http://www.classification.gov.au/Pa...FzNGazkU3P%252f

Looks like it's likely to hit the western markets then. I have been super pumped about this game and was so sure it wouldn't release outside of Japan since it had come with a previous game that we didn't get.

Don't know if we're getting all the extras, but it's a new 2D fighter by Arc Sys. My body is ready!

The cast is just loving ridiculous as well, upwards of Tekaichi 3 quality listing. Hopefully the best characters won't be relegated to "Support" choices. I'm betting choices like Chichi will be support only though.

From last look there'll only be about 24 playable characters. The rest are all supports.

That said, the system for the Supports is very interesting, sort of Jump Superstars/Ultimatestars-esque.

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/17/dragon-ball-z-extreme-butoden-unlocking-special-z-assists-and-recommended-teams/

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/04/07/dragon-ball-extreme-butoden-gets-new-website-translations/

In other news, in case anyone missed it in the gaming thread, the last DLC for Xenoverse has dropped, featuring new characters, moves, and motherfucking Jaco the Galactic Patrolman as a mentor.

Old Kai as well. And level cap increased to 99.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

StrifeHira posted:

From last look there'll only be about 24 playable characters. The rest are all supports.

That said, the system for the Supports is very interesting, sort of Jump Superstars/Ultimatestars-esque.

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/05/17/dragon-ball-z-extreme-butoden-unlocking-special-z-assists-and-recommended-teams/

http://www.shonengamez.com/2015/04/07/dragon-ball-extreme-butoden-gets-new-website-translations/

In other news, in case anyone missed it in the gaming thread, the last DLC for Xenoverse has dropped, featuring new characters, moves, and motherfucking Jaco the Galactic Patrolman as a mentor.

Old Kai as well. And level cap increased to 99.

Well the cast looks amazing even if they're likely all supports :( Regardless though, 24 characters is a decent amount for any fighter really.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Twibbit posted:

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

Well, you can take a look at the google doc I've been using. It's a bit piecemeal at the moment, it's missing a bunch of stuff (including the martial arts moves) and it's all subject to change. But that's game development for you.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The spirit bomb also draws energy from nature so it doing 0 damage by default is wrong

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
hmm, maybe have the GM add energy tokens from a "nature pool" over time. Size dependent on all sorts of GM Fiat. "Everyone is dead pretty much so 3 tokens"

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Well the cast looks amazing even if they're likely all supports :( Regardless though, 24 characters is a decent amount for any fighter really.

Yeah, I think having all the minor characters be supports is better. As much as I loved BudoTen or Raging Blast's giant rosters, trying to keep everyone equipped and such was hard, plus it ended up with like 40 characters with just Explosive Wave/Finish Sign/Multiple Energy Blast/Full Power Energy Wave/Super Explosive Wave because you can't make 160 unique movesets.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Namtab posted:

The spirit bomb also draws energy from nature so it doing 0 damage by default is wrong

That's where the GM comes in. If everyone else at the table is super stingy, they can chip in some of their limitless Power.

The "does nothing" thing is both for balance purposes, since it's a giant attack powered by the entire table, and also because it's a joke.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Who are all the main fighter characters? I'm ok with a lot of support characters but I'd like to know who is on the main cast

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Who are all the main fighter characters? I'm ok with a lot of support characters but I'd like to know who is on the main cast

Goku
Goku (Super Saiyan)
Goku (Super Saiyan God)
Teen Gohan
Teen Gohan (Super Saiyan)
Young Adult Gohan (Mystic)
Young Adult Gohan (Super Saiyan)
Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
Bardock (Base, Super Saiyan)
Future Trunks (Super Saiyan)
Gotenks (Super Saiyan)
Krillin
Piccolo
Raditz
Nappa
Ginyu
Frieza (Full Power)
Android 18
Cell (Perfect)
Mister Buu
Majin Buu (Pure) [EDIT: This is Kid Buu]
Beerus
Broly (Legendary Super Saiyan)
Goku (Super Saiyan God SS) (obtained with special demo)

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Ball_Z:_Super_Extreme_But%C5%8Dden

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

mabels big day posted:

I think the funniest part about DBZ game Fighting casts is that in any normal fighting game they'd model the Saibamen and create their move sets and make them NPC only because "Nobody would want to actually play as a Saibaman," whereas the people who make DBZ games know, "A significant portion of our fanbase really honestly wants to be able to play as a Saibaman."

Note: Mostly talking about DBXV here obv, that cast list is terrible.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 9, 2015

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
edit: beaten

4 different Gokus??? To be fair, there's also 4 Gohans. Besides the fact they split super saiyan versions as separate characters (but only for 3 characters?), the only other real head scratcher is Raditz. Did he really even do enough in the story to have a unique moveset? Oh well, can't complain about more content. I'm not sure who else I'd absolutely want to be playable who isn't already.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My only question about the roster is why SSGSS Goku gets to be playable but both SSGSS Vegeta and Golden Freeza are only supports. Not even fun supports, SSGSS Vegeta only kicks the opponent.

The whole game really feels like they put quantity over quality, hopefully it will be better than gameplay videos make it look.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Blaze Dragon posted:

My only question about the roster is why SSGSS Goku gets to be playable but both SSGSS Vegeta and Golden Freeza are only supports. Not even fun supports, SSGSS Vegeta only kicks the opponent.

The whole game really feels like they put quantity over quality, hopefully it will be better than gameplay videos make it look.

I think it is revenge for Vegeta being better than Goku in J-Stars Victory Vs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know there are other clone situations, but it's funny to me that you can have Gotenks supported by Mighty Mask. It's like how you could team Vegito, Gogeta, and SS4 Gogeta in BudoTen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

hosed up Tien is just a support, yet Radditz is a main playable character. At least Piccolo and Krillin are respected enough.

• Locked thread