Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Looks a lot better than my first Ork. That box isn't available anymore because they're in the process of replacing their brush line, and that had the old ones in it. Call GW and get those paints replaced though, that's inexcusable and not standard.

Someone actually posted a step by step Dark Angels tutorial today, and it's pretty good. Uses a lot of paints you don't have yet though:

http://taleofpainters.blogspot.com/2015/06/tutorial-how-to-paint-dark-angel.html

Also, don't buy the Dark Angels codex until July.

I love their tutorials. I used all their Dark Angels ones on my DAs:

Super simple to follow, good pictures and all. Also Garfy's 2nd ed project over there is what got me to finally pull the trigger on my retro Ultras. Tale of Painters is a great resource.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyroDwarf
Aug 24, 2010
Am I crazy thinking that the skin and rags on these guys looks un-finished? I still have to do the eyes and teeth and a few touch ups here and there.

Please ignore my giant mold lines.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

SRM posted:

I love their tutorials. I used all their Dark Angels ones on my DAs:

So good. So so good.

Checking out the blog now, looks super helpful.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

PyroDwarf posted:

Am I crazy thinking that the skin and rags on these guys looks un-finished? I still have to do the eyes and teeth and a few touch ups here and there.

I agree. I think the issue might be that the model lacks contrast. You've got a lot of what appears to be washes over white, but no bold colour or contrast, so everything looks a bit bland.

Maybe once their based it'll pull together, but personally, I'd run a colour / wash / highlight over the scraps of clothing to separate them from the skin.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Which extenders did you get?

Some Dragon Forge ones - mostly because I was ordering in a couple of more special bases for my counts-as Lysander and TFC anyhow. Will have to greenstuff these a bit but eh, I'll live.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

PyroDwarf posted:

Please ignore my giant mold lines.

Can't.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

On mold lines, is anybody else using Flexifile pads or similar products? I just got the starter set as an impulse purchase, and it's amazing for mans.

I was able to remove the scuplted insignia from this centurion leg in less than a minute. Just cut most off with a knife, and then quickly went over it with 3 different grits:

The flexiblity in the files just makes them eat away all the protuding stuff and moldlines and follow the model's curves. The discoloration is where i cut too deep.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

drat, looks pretty useful. Much easier than folding up some sandpaper.

"Please ignore my leprosy"

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
I hadn't painted my miniatures in years. My friend tried to get me to play Warmachine way back, a little before Warmachine MK2 rules came out, and I had a bunch of unfinished minis from back then. Recently I have taken it upon myself to do something with them.

So I glued/painted some dudes! And now I have to show them off somewhere, so I'm showing them to this thread.

Way back five years ago or whatever when I started, all I painted were five Flameguard Cleansers. The bright red dude on the far right is one of them. I painted five of them, and then completely stopped for years and years. Since then I decided I didn't really like using white primer, so I bought black primer this time and new paint and stuff. I still like having a bit more red in my color scheme than the default Protectorate of Menoth scheme, but maybe not as bright as that guy on the far right. The three darker red ones in the middle are the ones I've just recently painted. There are also five more Exemplar Errants painted like the guy on the left there, in a box in the background.

I'm... not great at this. But these dudes look SO much better than unpainted unglued dudes, it's great. For some reason Feora's face, as seen in the middle, wound up a bit more grainy than it should've, I feel like the black primer I used was like old and powdery or something?? It didn't seem right, I failed at primer. But still, way WAY better than she used to be, bare metal and whatever. Overall, I feel like these newly-painted dudes look better than the dudes I painted several years ago. Though the white paint I'm using is pretty bad, it's some cheap craft acrylic paint rather than any specific miniature paint, so it was somewhat troublesome to work with.

Of course, a few years ago my friend sold his Warmachine troops because we never really played together :v:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
You can actually use the edge of a razor blade on plastic just like sandpaper and you have more control over where the modifications go. Use the cutting edge to take off most of it, as you say, then use the blade at approximately perpendicular to scrape from there. Press hard at first, then more gently, until there's a smooth, even blah blah blah.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Does anyone have both the original Rhino kit and the FW Deimos Pattern Rhino kit? I've got 4-5 of the original Rhinos and I'm wondering what kind of a size difference there is and if any of the FW bits will properly fit with the old one. Same with the Land Raider, if anyone happens to have compared them as well. I'm thinking of doing a small 30K force and if I can bling the old stuff out a bit, I can save :10bux:.

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone has a modern Rhino turret sprue, I'm in need. For some reason, I have a Rhino kit with no turrets/guns/driver. :iiam:

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 8, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The forge world ones are based on the current rhino kit, so the old rhinos will be too small.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

The forge world ones are based on the current rhino kit, so the old rhinos will be too small.

Yeah, that's what I though. Oh well, I'll just have to paint everything on.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Just finished this guy

Here he is with some of his friends

I'm not a huge fan of how the cannon turned out. Maybe its just a bit too green.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Very cool, love your take on Behemoth.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That's a lovely blue

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Arson Fire posted:

I'm not a huge fan of how the cannon turned out. Maybe its just a bit too green.
I *am* a huge fan of how the canon turned out. My favorite part is how green it is.

Repaint the rest of it if you have to, but leave the cannon alone.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
The green is dope

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm trying to make a "force lightning" effect arcing off of my Librarians staff, any ideas?

My first thought was some 1mm styrene rod and water effects gel to make it crackly.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

ijyt posted:

I'm trying to make a "force lightning" effect arcing off of my Librarians staff, any ideas?

My first thought was some 1mm styrene rod and water effects gel to make it crackly.

Paper clip wire would be a bit much more sturdy and the same size I think.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Crossposting my Great Unclean One conversion using an End Times Maggoth model (minus the rider):

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hey guys, I've finally been able to start looking for an airbrush compressor. I've had the sotar 2020 for a year now but never had the space to use it.

I think people here said that the TC-20 model is a good one. If so, what's the difference between this and this one? They both look the same and are both from TCP so I might as well pay $10 extra to get the general purpose air brushes too.

I'm looking around and it seems that's the lowest price but if there's a place that sells it cheaper, plz link me. Or if there's a better model I should get for the 2020. Thanks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Chill la Chill posted:

Hey guys, I've finally been able to start looking for an airbrush compressor. I've had the sotar 2020 for a year now but never had the space to use it.

I think people here said that the TC-20 model is a good one. If so, what's the difference between this and this one? They both look the same and are both from TCP so I might as well pay $10 extra to get the general purpose air brushes too.

I'm looking around and it seems that's the lowest price but if there's a place that sells it cheaper, plz link me. Or if there's a better model I should get for the 2020. Thanks.

You're better off getting a compressor with a tank in it. This one is good for the price, and isn't much more expensive than the TC-20 (and the new/used section below makes it cheaper). I can speak from personal experience that the addition of a tank has made airbrushing a much easier experience for me; I can paint for longer without worrying about the compressor getting too hot, and gives you a constant supply of cool air to work with. It also runs a lot less, meaning less wear on the mechanical components, and less noise too. It takes up about the same amount of room as the TC-20, so if you have a space for that, you have a space for this.

I'd advise getting an airbrush holder too, while you're at it, if only for convenience.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Got my Razorback painted

It's my first airbrushed model, so there's a lot of small errors, but I like it overall :) Really learned a lot.

The model itself is also something I dug out of the attic. I built it back when I started playing around with putty a few years ago, and I realize the smoothing on the armour around the exhaust is terrible.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
1) Does anyone have any advice for getting separated VMA paints (Gold and Bright Brass, if it matters) to mix back up? When I say separated, I mean the pigment appears to have congealed into a glob in the bottle, like what you'd expect from a mostly dried out paint except there's still plenty of liquid medium in the bottle. When I poke a rod in there, it feels like chewing gum. Adding an agitator bead and shaking the poo poo out of them doesn't seem to have helped.

2) In general, have people's experiences with VMA golds been complete poo poo, or did I just get two bad bottles? Even before this separation occurred, they were really thin and poorly covering, even by the standards of golds. VMA silvers are an absolute dream so this is some real Jekyll and Hyde poo poo.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

You're better off getting a compressor with a tank in it.
Yes, yes, 100 times yes. Listen to Slimnoid and get one with a tank.

FYI, I purchased this one, which is the same compressor Slimnoid recommended, but for $20 gets you an airbrush with "0.2, 0.3 and 0.5mm Needles & Nozzles that allow you to set-up the Airbrush for Detailed Hairline Spray, Overall Spray or for 2" Wide Spray Patterns."

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JerryLee posted:

1) Does anyone have any advice for getting separated VMA paints (Gold and Bright Brass, if it matters) to mix back up? When I say separated, I mean the pigment appears to have congealed into a glob in the bottle, like what you'd expect from a mostly dried out paint except there's still plenty of liquid medium in the bottle. When I poke a rod in there, it feels like chewing gum. Adding an agitator bead and shaking the poo poo out of them doesn't seem to have helped.

It looks ghetto as gently caress, but it works.

Or make one that uses a drill like Lumbering Troll did. (I can't find the post).

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PierreTheMime posted:

Crossposting my Great Unclean One conversion using an End Times Maggoth model (minus the rider):

This looks rad and its a great conversion. If I did a great unclean one, I would totes steal your idea here :)

Squiggly Beast
Apr 29, 2009

orksorksOrksORKS!
:orks: :orks101:
Gravy Boat 2k
I had a bottle of bright brass congeal into a solid lump a while back as well. It reeked too, like a bizarre sour-metallic smell. :vomarine:

All my paints are a few years old so it may simply have died of old age but, given that my other VMA metallics are just fine, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bad batch of brass floating around.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Or make one that uses a drill like Lumbering Troll did. (I can't find the post).

Thanks. I may still just throw out the lovely paints rather than putting this much effort into it, but I appreciate the suggestion. :v:

OneTrueBru posted:

I had a bottle of bright brass congeal into a solid lump a while back as well. It reeked too, like a bizarre sour-metallic smell. :vomarine:

All my paints are a few years old so it may simply have died of old age but, given that my other VMA metallics are just fine, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bad batch of brass floating around.

I have a bottle of Gold with the same issue as the bright brass, though. I bought them several weeks apart, after the store had gotten in a new shipment of VMA (I clearly remember this because the brass was the only color they still had when I went in the first time) but I guess they could still have been from the same run.

It's really weird. Pigments settling out and needing a sustained shake to get going is one thing. Paint drying out when the bottle has a poor seal is one thing. Pigment turning to a gluey mess under a thin soup of acrylic medium in a properly sealed container... yeah, that's bullshit.

I may give the non-silvers one more try someday (though I'll certainly scrutinize the bottle carefully in the store) but for now, life is too short to deal with this poo poo.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've added a strong wash and some more layers to the Chevy and it definitely looks more sun weathered now. The wash is very strong as my theory is that the very last step is dust effects in the crevasses so I don't want this to destroy and shading there. I think its a good foundation coat to work from.

It's super glosses obviously, this is the first ever model I've attempted from a desert theatre so any advice is helpful. Next steps I was going to do was a very light dry brush over the whole thing and then some very light chipping around only the high wear areas. Then to start on all the details and stowage.

And just to remind you how it started:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This might be a dumb question, but how'd it get from pink and blue to desert and olive drab?

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
He's using light coats of tan to simulate sun exposure knocking the pigment in the paint down.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Indolent Bastard posted:

How does this compare to the badger mini paint mixer though

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
If I really need to stir the poo poo out of a pot I chuck a piece of bent coat hangar into the dremel. At 16000 RPMs the paint knows it done got stirred.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
So I have the itch to finish a handful of Tyranids I have lying about, and I want to magnetize them. I'm looking at about 10 warriors, 4 carnifex, and an older 3rd e metal tyrant.

That's a lot of arms, and the local games and crafts shops would not be easy on the wallet with their magnet prices (up to 20e for 20 magnets.) So I'm wondering if there's some good online store that provides good magnets for miniatures in bulk, and ships to EU with no issues?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

PierreTheMime posted:

Don't forget to post the pics of it touched up when you get a sec.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yes, yes, 100 times yes. Listen to Slimnoid and get one with a tank.

FYI, I purchased this one, which is the same compressor Slimnoid recommended, but for $20 gets you an airbrush with "0.2, 0.3 and 0.5mm Needles & Nozzles that allow you to set-up the Airbrush for Detailed Hairline Spray, Overall Spray or for 2" Wide Spray Patterns."

Thanks for the advice you guys. For some reason I had forgotten the part about getting a tank. It'll be much better to use in an apartment anyway.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm thinking about starting either a Tallarn or Steel Legion army.

I've tried to do desert style fatigues in the past and been generally unhappy with the result, I'm wanting to create a look very similar to the below. Anyone have any tips or paint combinations to get it looking something similar to this?

I use GW paints, if that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Attestant posted:

I'm wondering if there's some good online store that provides good magnets for miniatures in bulk, and ships to EU with no issues?

Check ebay, I usually order from a UK supplier called magnetsmagnetsmagnets but recently tried a seller in Hong Kong with good success.