Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

ErIog posted:

Saying they spoke in "broken English," is offensive.

since when is this a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Lincoln
Jan 19, 2010

TheDisreputableDog posted:

And also, Hillary wins here again since she hasn't driven herself in 20 years.

Why is the fact that Hillary Clinton receives Secret Service protect a right wing talking point? Is there more to it other than "Hillary Clinton did [thing x]"?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

It's especially egregious when you look at how the "dead broke" post-Executive Clintons bootstrapped themselves back to solvency in a completely ethical way.

What was unethical about the way the Clintons "bootstrapped" themselves back to solvency?

Granted, claiming they were "dead broke" is one of those things that was technically true, but essentially meaningless, and claiming it as somehow meaning they're "of the people" is the kind of disingenuous, pandering, and condescending bullshit only some faux-rational idiot or rabid partisan could be swayed by.

Naked Lincoln posted:

Why is the fact that Hillary Clinton receives Secret Service protect a right wing talking point? Is there more to it other than "Hillary Clinton did [thing x]"?

Hasn't driven herself => is of the 1%/out of touch elitist => hypocrite/poors should hate her like they do other 1%ers/Clintons are all evil.

You know, basic conservative "logic" 101.

Feather fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 9, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Naked Lincoln posted:

If Presidents' spouses wanted protection they ought to be able to bootstrap themselves into Presidential office to receive it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

De Nomolos posted:

I loving hate biker culture. If that's the GOP's new obsession, then it's a perfect marriage. They're up there with the anti-GMO and CHEMICALZ freaks that infest our local left-leaning groups on my hatred list.

It isn't new. Bush courted and was supported by Rolling Thunder. I also know that despite being non political Rolling Thunder has pulled out of veterans events solely because Biden was scheduled to speak.

Naked Lincoln posted:

"Doesn't even drive herself around!" sounds great as a demonstration of her supposed elitism until you learn the background behind it.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Naked Lincoln posted:

If Hillary Clinton doesn't drive, how can I have a beer with her?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why is this a bad argument? It's not like he struggled financially because he eschewed personal gain to work for a non-profit or something, he repeatedly bought unaffordable (for him) luxuries while failing to pay his debts. Not to mention the suspect things he did, like paying for personal expenses with campaign funds and using PAC money to hire family members. He actually managed to break the law blatantly enough to incur an FEC penalty - this takes some serious effort.

It is a bad argument in general to equate personal financial responsibility with national financial responsibility. The two are almost entirely different things. However, when one of your campaign tenants is about how the US should have a balanced budget, it looks very bad when you can't manage a balance budget at home. I think in this case, it is a perfectly good argument.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

De Nomolos posted:

I loving hate biker culture. If that's the GOP's new obsession, then it's a perfect marriage. They're up there with the anti-GMO and CHEMICALZ freaks that infest our local left-leaning groups on my hatred list.

"Loud pipes save lives!" VROOOOOOOM!!!!!! Which is a bunch of hot air bullshit but they like to be loud and annoying, it makes them feel good I guess.
I loving hate those assholes. Perfect marriage indeed.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

comes along bort posted:

Nobody's trolled the bbq world like that since Alabama came up with their mayo sauce.

Not BBQ, but this post reminded me of this.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Gravel Gravy posted:

If Presidents' spouses wanted protection they ought to be able to bootstrap themselves into Presidential office to receive it.

Did she ever even receive protection independently as a spouse? Does the SS detail extend to immediate family as well? Because now that she's running she's eligible for protection in her own right anyway.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

"Doesn't even drive herself around!" sounds great as a demonstration of her supposed elitism until you learn the background behind it.

Good thing the average American doesn't have time for nuance.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You can have a latte and an arugula salad *folds arms, grins insolently*

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Good thing the average American doesn't have time for nuance.

If I've learned anything participating in political forums, it's that few care for nuance. The average person is, frankly, too dumb to understand it and it seems to be the case that very frequently more sophisticated persons are too invested in their own beliefs to have an honest debate or discussion around the issue, kind of like the Sinclair quote, except instead of "salary" use "self-esteem," "confidence," "arrogance," "stubbornness," etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

Holy poo poo that is just a piece of pork with some Walmart brand BBQ sauce squirted on it. That is not Barbecue, I thought conservative shitters prided themselves on their haram pork eating habits but even here they are totally fraudulent.

That plate is a textbook example of traditional Iowan cuisine.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Not BBQ, but this post reminded me of this.

What culinary artistic freakshow is this?

That chicken drenched in gatorade looks like something straight out of a Ridley Scott movie.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Someone with a twenty-four hour designated driver service is exactly who I want to drink with.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Arkane posted:

The 4 traffic tickets in 20 years was heinous enough, now they've unearthed that the very same recalcitrant criminal has made some dumb financial decisions and struggled to pay off student loans. Pulitzer worthy stuff here.

I'm agreeing....with...arkane?!?!?! :psypop:

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Great write up of the Iowa event! You're doing the lords work my friend.

Seriously though this thread is far more entertaining and far FAR more interesting knowing that there are goon boots on the ground there. Keep it coming!!

What's the next set of events you are going to?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I'm agreeing....with...arkane?!?!?! :psypop:

Well, he's right. Stopped clock and all that. Attacking Rubio for incurring traffic tickets is bullshit and not worth the time it took to write about it.

Lying about his parents running away from Castro's Cuba and going full retard on gay marriage, on the other hand...

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 9, 2015

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Arkane posted:

The 4 traffic tickets in 20 years was heinous enough, now they've unearthed that the very same recalcitrant criminal has made some dumb financial decisions and struggled to pay off student loans. Pulitzer worthy stuff here.

Did you miss the part where he repeatedly violated campaign finance laws?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think the only person in this race who (probably) isn't violating campaign finance laws is Bernie Sanders. Between coordination with SuperPACs, outright campaign finance fraud, and the greedy, sleazy character of the typical republican candidate, basically everybody, including Hillary, is guilty of some infraction or other.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream

Sir Tonk posted:

Rand Paul's campaign is but a shadow of his father's. He should be number one in literally every online poll without even trying.

i sincerely hate Ted Cruz a lot.. just seeing his face makes me angry

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
I'm not sure you can completely dismiss his (Rubio's) personal finances, including his student loan trouble, when he is running on a platform that is Personal Responsibility 101. If anything, he should understand how people struggle, but he found a sugar daddy and now everyone else in the country needs to step up and work harder to reach their potential. I guess since I don't have a sugar daddy I'm letting the country down and being lazy.

Their hypocrisy is endless.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rocks posted:

Great write up of the Iowa event! You're doing the lords work my friend.

Seriously though this thread is far more entertaining and far FAR more interesting knowing that there are goon boots on the ground there. Keep it coming!!

What's the next set of events you are going to?

Unless something comes up, a Santorum meet and greet. That will be interesting.

After that the only definitive thing is July 17th in Ames, Iowa. Family leadership summit 2015 or something. It has Carson, huckabee, Cruz, Jindal, and Santorum.

A lot of this week seems to be an hour to two hours away and I don't have that much time

We have tried to find a Hillary event but you either have to pay or be handpicked. I'll pay to see 7 candidates. I won't pay to see one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Pohl posted:

I'm not sure you can completely dismiss his (Rubio's) personal finances, including his student loan trouble, when he is running on a platform that is Personal Responsibility 101. If anything, he should understand how people struggle, but he found a sugar daddy and now everyone else in the country needs to step up and work harder to reach their potential. I guess since I don't have a sugar daddy I'm letting the country down and being lazy.

Their hypocrisy is endless.

Rubio earned his sugar daddy through professional connections, interpersonal skills, and family connections. That's no different than earning a fat paycheck for being an engineer or movie star or as an entrepreneur.

Part of the reason I buy about one or two lottery tickets per year is because it would give me great joy to tell high power professionals that I made better economic choices in life.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

campaign finance laws fall somewhere between jaywalking and public urination in terms of how many people do it vs how many people get in serious trouble for it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

De Nomolos posted:

Whenever I see or hear a biker on a harley I wonder what they're trying to make up for. There's a biker who lives somewhere in our (downtown-ish residential) neighbourhood who blats his loving harley noisemaker really loudly around 2-3am sometimes. It sets off car alarms. Pretty cool guy.

:goonsay:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

mlmp08 posted:

Rubio earned his sugar daddy through professional connections, interpersonal skills, and family connections. That's no different than earning a fat paycheck for being an engineer or movie star or as an entrepreneur.
Leveraging existing family connections and networking is the same thing as working your rear end off to become an engineer.

OK

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Big, if Lou.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Joementum posted:

Big, if Lou.

Where are his loving lips?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
On Ted Cruz's ring, obviously.

god i can't wait until i need a new avatar and namechange, i want to forget that boehner ever existed

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Obama was cited and fined a much higher amount by the FEC. Where's the outrage?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

a shameful boehner posted:

On Ted Cruz's ring, obviously.

god i can't wait until i need a new avatar and namechange, i want to forget that boehner ever existed

Who do you think could replace :boehner:?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Obama was cited and fined a much higher amount by the FEC. Where's the outrage?

Your guys claim they're better and more ethical than Obama.

Oh, and he's not running for anything, so there is that.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Who do you think could replace :boehner:?

Dennis Hastert, obviously.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

neonnoodle posted:

Leveraging existing family connections and networking is the same thing as working your rear end off to become an engineer.

OK

Lack of humor due to hard science degree spotted!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Dennis Hastert, obviously.

I was thinking about it--people are more aware of Hastert now than they were when he was Speaker of the House.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003

Alter Ego posted:

Your guys claim they're better and more ethical than Obama.

Oh, and he's not running for anything, so there is that.

Democratic partisans are pissing and moaning about Republican violations, too. It's one of the few cases where "both sides do it" is actually literally true. The other is "working for their corporate owners."

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Joementum posted:

Big, if Lou.

He is, of course, the 21st Century's Frank Burns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Feather posted:

Democratic partisans are pissing and moaning about Republican violations, too. It's one of the few cases where "both sides do it" is actually literally true. The other is "working for their corporate owners."

Kind of hard to make a fair comparison without knowing what the specific election law violations are. Is there a handy table somewhere?

• Locked thread