Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

my favourite thing about the banana thing is that saitama offers the bananas, peels the bananas, and then eats the bananas himself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bad Seafood posted:

It works perfectly if you think of it as the Super Hero Association thinking so little of Saitama they can't even bother to arrange those words in a more natural order.

No no no, they don't care about actual world ending threat. They spent hours coming up with that name.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I know, I just like to think the vast majority of that time was spent coming up with Genos' name.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It took them hours of staring at the picture in silence before someone said "bald cape".

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

It took them 3 seconds for saitaima, and hours for genos.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Terror Sweat posted:

It took them 3 seconds for saitaima, and hours for genos.

I like to think they took the same amount of time for both names, they just spent the rest of it reading their individual self-written bios and backstories

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

There's no way Saitama or Genos under Saitama's tutelage would submit backstories longer than ten words.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Nah, I can imagine Genos writing out a full essay explaining his history in detail, along with information on all of his various cyborg enhancements because the backstory portion of the form is several pages long, with a note that extra pages are available on request and he feels obligated.

Saitama obviously just wrote "it's a hobby" on the top line and called it a day though.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Genos would probably make his own wiki with exhaustively annotated entries

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Crain posted:

I'm looking forward to Murata showing up to my house to redraw the pages every so often.

I can imagine him going to the Sistine chapel, looking up and saying "That's kinda crappy", re-painting it entirely and then doing the exact same thing again next month.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Shugojin posted:

It took them hours of staring at the picture in silence before someone said "bald cape".

They push aside the notepad full of suggestions for Genos, pages of "cyborg" and "machine" and other powerful words, and start on Saitama.

"Bald" gets written down immediately.

"Cape" is added after about 5 minutes of everyone racking their brains in silence.

They all look at the single page:
  • Bald
  • Cape

Another couple of minutes of silence, before someone goes "so does anyone have any...? You know what, it's good enough."

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

He's just a jerk who shows up to steal other hero's hard-earned kills anyway.

Bald Cape is better than he deserves.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Should've called him KSer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Caped baldy is a lot better

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bad Seafood posted:

He's just a jerk who shows up to steal other hero's hard-earned kills anyway.

Bald Cape is better than he deserves.

The hero association actually knows he's freakishly powerful. They have no idea how powerful, but they know he's physically superior to anyone else that's ever taken their tests. They've acknowledged that, and they continue to move him up the ranks at a steady clip. It's basically just waiting for the shoe to drop and everyone to put everything they've seen together and go ".....OOOOH!".

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
There's a great sense of meta-irony here considering we spent way more time discussing Saitama's hero name than the actual Association did

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Kild posted:

Should've called him KSer.

Karl Stevens, the Caped Baldy

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How do you think Saitama will present himself to others? Will he announce his superhero name in a heroic and confident manner, or just say it in a deadpan manner?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:geno: Hi, I'm Bald Cape, I guess. You can call me Saitama, though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

The hero association actually knows he's freakishly powerful. They have no idea how powerful, but they know he's physically superior to anyone else that's ever taken their tests. They've acknowledged that, and they continue to move him up the ranks at a steady clip. It's basically just waiting for the shoe to drop and everyone to put everything they've seen together and go ".....OOOOH!".

This fact is probably tucked deep down in a file no one important ever read. Every S class hero aside from Genos, Bang and Pig God has had huge personality defects, but most of them got grandfathered in to s class from the old system. So naturally, the physical portion of the exam would be immensely important and shouldn't even have a cap on the results. That it does is very believable though, because that is how bureaucracies work. For the actual hero organization, it is more important to have a stable system for recruiting than it is to actually find any outstanding talents.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^
You're either referencing things which haven't come up in the murata version or you should stop presenting your theories as fact

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, it's weird that you tagged a name and not all the other, infinitely more significant spoilers.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Isn't the council, or whatever, unsure of whether or not Saitama's physical tests are real after all the rumors about him paying people/judges off?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Saitama spent all his money faking the test results, that's why he's so poor and fixates on special sale days

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Saitama spent all his money faking the test results, that's why he's so poor and fixates on special sale days
Hahaha, spot on

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

There's a surprise two-page chapter with the completely unsurprising character popularity results up now.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://bato.to/read/_/326044/onepunch-man_ch48.5_by_nerieru-scans

Here's the link because I don't know why people say that and then don't link it.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Gee, I wonder why she ended up in second place.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bernardo Orel posted:

Gee, I wonder why she ended up in second place.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Gee, I wonder why he ended up in third place.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Avulsion posted:

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I find no fault in Genos's logic.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Avulsion posted:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Avulsion posted:

Because Speed of Sound Sonic (lol) makes everyone lol.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Serious Frolicking posted:

This fact is probably tucked deep down in a file no one important ever read. Every S class hero aside from Genos, Bang and Pig God has had huge personality defects, but most of them got grandfathered in to s class from the old system. So naturally, the physical portion of the exam would be immensely important and shouldn't even have a cap on the results. That it does is very believable though, because that is how bureaucracies work. For the actual hero organization, it is more important to have a stable system for recruiting than it is to actually find any outstanding talents.

This post, in a somewhat roundabout way made me read all the ONE stuff and now I am a big idot who is even more hype for up coming chapters, goddammit.

At least one of my own personal big questions about the series has been answered, I guess. People are dead on that while the actual drawing is a bit sloppy, ONE is a really good comic artist when it comes to panel composition and stuff, which is cool since it means less for Murata to make up and more time to just redraw everything looking super swank.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Prison Warden posted:

This post, in a somewhat roundabout way made me read all the ONE stuff and now I am a big idot who is even more hype for up coming chapters, goddammit.

At least one of my own personal big questions about the series has been answered, I guess. People are dead on that while the actual drawing is a bit sloppy, ONE is a really good comic artist when it comes to panel composition and stuff, which is cool since it means less for Murata to make up and more time to just redraw everything looking super swank.

Yeah we aren't kidding. Plus he's getting better since he started OPM because he's been drawing that and then Mob Psycho. Dude knows how to use the page space he has.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Boogaleeboo posted:

They know that in the attack on City A, Saitama punched out of the roof of the headquarters. The same HQ that survived the attack that leveled the city.

He punched his way out before they even knew he left. Or was that after he got his official name?

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 16, 2015

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I didn't know that the official translation kept Licenseless as Mumen Rider. I guess it keeps the pun, but I think the Rider part is enough to convey the joke.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

I didn't know that the official translation kept Licenseless as Mumen Rider. I guess it keeps the pun, but I think the Rider part is enough to convey the joke.

Apparently there's someone out there who is fighting to the death for him to be called Common Rider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Apparently there's someone out there who is fighting to the death for him to be called Common Rider.

That's... actually a really clever localization, considering how he tends to introduce himself.

Still more used to Licenseless Rider though.