Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Drone posted:

Guys, RPS is also generally pretty bad when it comes to game reviews.

Eh, RPS is one of the less terrible gaming news sites. Which, honestly, says more about the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

Eh, RPS is one of the less terrible gaming news sites. Which, honestly, says more about the rest of them.

Ever since the Feminists arrived... the world turned

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How come people aren't asking the important questions like is the barometric pressure weather sim back, how far down the chain can we attach auxiliary materiel to units (attaching canteens to soldiers or different tracks to tanks would be best), and how come theres no holocaust infrastructure malus yet?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Wiz posted:

HOI4 doesn't really try to railroad you into the exact historical WW2, the aim is just to have *a* WW2, with how historical it is depending on how much major nation choices have deviated from history. It's a fine balance to walk, but it's not attempting the impossible HOI3 task of having player choice while having those player choices always result in a perfect recreation of history.

Great, I am now really looking forward to HOI4. I wasn't looking forward to it due to being so disappointed with HOI3 previously, but if you understand the issues HOI3 had and given how great you guys seem to be now it should be the game the era has needed. I want the freedom as Japan for instance to invade the Soviet Union even though its a god drat stupid thing to do, I want the ability to; the game should allow me to be stupid and not act as my nanny - let me pay the consequences for my stupidity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At last count Yugoslavia contained at least Romes 4th-5th, maybe even 6th. If they can't industrialize to a point they could take Germany head on in 1939 I will consider it a failure of both too much and not enough railroading.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Alchenar posted:

HOI4 needs a 'this many days of combat operations till you run out of petrol' meter.

In real life commodities stockpiles are often described by "days cover" where you take the current inventory and divide by (for example) the average of the last 30 days of consumption. Those numbers are sometimes used as targets, like trying to have at least xxx days cover. Darkest hour seems to have the mechanic behind the scenes but it might make more sense to just represent all resources that way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Greece and/or Turkey should be able to form the Byzantine Empire in HOI4. It's only proper.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

e: ^ I think you mean there needs to be a DLC that pushes the starting date back so that you can play as the Byzantine Empire.

Bozart posted:

In real life commodities stockpiles are often described by "days cover" where you take the current inventory and divide by (for example) the average of the last 30 days of consumption. Those numbers are sometimes used as targets, like trying to have at least xxx days cover. Darkest hour seems to have the mechanic behind the scenes but it might make more sense to just represent all resources that way.

Except combat consumption is greatly increased.

That's another thing, it's probably far too late for this to make it into the game but I'd love for ammo consumption (forming part of supply) to be a thing it's genuinely possible to run out of. In previous games you just added more IC to the bar and instantly got more per day, it'd be interesting to see the 'add factories to this project' thing apply to general supply production - if that's not the case already.

e2: actual DLC suggestion; a Nazi Moon base that activates when Germany is defeated and which launches invasions of the Earth with super-advanced technology.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 9, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Neuschwabenland DLC. Losing the war? Construct a frozen ice base and freeze yourself until your enemies have grown soft!

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

DrSunshine posted:

Greece and/or Turkey should be able to form the Byzantine Empire in HOI4. It's only proper.

Being only able to form the Byzantine empire as Turkey would be great for the massive amount of tears. "We have cast off the yoke of the ottoman sultans, the so called heirs of rome! Let us claim our rightful heritage and rebuild europe's greatest empire!"

[Vae Victis!] Country becomes Bizans Imparatorlugu

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

DrSunshine posted:

Greece can already do this in Victoria II, so that should be all the precedent needed for an HOI 4: Legacy of Rome DLC

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Just have the first thing the German player sees upon loading be the Danzig or War event popup. Starting in '36 is the problem.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Freudian posted:

Neuschwabenland DLC. Losing the war? Construct a frozen ice base and freeze yourself until your enemies have grown soft!

Wasn't there a British plan to turn an iceberg into a carrier? Paging podcat...

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is it crazy that I want to see some sort of Sunset Invasion-esque DLC for HoI4? Like allow the player to invest in nation-specific superweapon projects that are unlocked when the right tech researched.

I just want my not!Captain America to fight Wolfenstein/Hydra Germany and Stalin Superscience Soviet Union.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

PBJ posted:

Is it crazy that I want to see some sort of Sunset Invasion-esque DLC for HoI4? Like allow the player to invest in nation-specific superweapon projects that are unlocked when the right tech researched.

I just want my not!Captain America to fight Wolfenstein/Hydra Germany and Stalin Superscience Soviet Union.

Research Theory of Relativity -> Einstein event chain -> Send modern medicines and technology back to Mesoamerica circa 900 AD.

The Sunset Invasion is explained!!

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Add an event where after the war the player travels back in time to prevent the horrors of WWII. Reset the map back to the 1936 scenario but now everyone has 1945 technology instead and also certain major countries are buffed up in order to provide a more devastating Red Alert-esque scenario.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Takanago posted:

Add an event where after the war the player travels back in time to prevent the horrors of WWII. Reset the map back to the 1936 scenario but now everyone has 1945 technology instead and also certain major countries are buffed up in order to provide a more devastating Red Alert-esque scenario.
Groundhog War. The war continues until Hitler learns to love the Eternal Jew, or defeats it.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

RPS Article posted:

In both of the games we played, the Americans were on the scene before the Axis powers had even begun their conquest of Europe, responding like a well-trained gundog to the first shots fired. That’s partly because a human player will almost always WANT to be involved in European affairs, pushing everything toward intervention even before the war starts.

Wasn't this kind of true to history though? FDR wanted to get America involved but there was too much resistance from the American public to get involved in "European" affairs. It took foreign troops landing on US soil for people to want to go to war. That difficulty should be reflective of the US players experience. But that might make it boring if the USA player has nothing to do but sit there waiting for political points to accrue or whatever.

Maybe the US player should have to deal with a lot more internal issues like the Great Depression that was going on at the time? I don't know how you would represent that in a game like HoI4 though. The player has to build a certain number of infrastructure all over the US, otherwise the new deal fails and costs the US player manpower or something?

When the US enters the war it shouldn't be with an army they have been building tanks, airplanes, etc. for since 1936. They should have to build it mostly after entering the war. This kind of railroads and prevents the USA player from doing anything kind of alt-history though. Maybe another solution to the Great Depression happens when the player has Alf Landon win in 1936 instead of roosevelt by running on a campaign of war with mexico to kickstart the economy?

Or maybe being railroaded a little bit is just a consequence of playing a Major Nation? If you want to go crazy play a minor.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's definitely partly multi; a human America will go all interventionist in general( I mean I personally would probably enjoy twiddling my thumbs and watching everything burn and then not getting invited to anymore matches) and human Britain or France are always going to bend all their efforts into starting the war as soon as possible. I'm sure they'll do more AARs as time goes on and we'll see some different results. What remains unanswered is what sorts of unique ideas and units are available to the most important nation, the Guangxi Clique

ukle posted:

I want the freedom as Japan for instance to invade the Soviet Union even though its a god drat stupid thing to do, I want the ability to; the game should allow me to be stupid and not act as my nanny - let me pay the consequences for my stupidity.

From the article it looks like Japan gets a tree for the north or the south, the author mentions they picked north and allied with china to attack russia

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Just a question around growth rates in Victoria 2. Warning: :spergin: incoming. Note that all 1836 figures are per V2 and all 1914 figures are per census data collected online.

I did some quick checking and the area that would become Germany's 1836 full population (at least in V2) is 31,360,000 (i.e. 7,840,000). The island of Great Britain has 17,805,440 (i.e. 4,451,360). Comparing to real-life 1914 numbers, these populations would increase by 113.6% and 134.2%, respectively - the UK actually having a better growth rate than Germany.

Because I can't leave well enough alone, I checked for some other countires. Austria-Hungary does relatively worse with a growth of about 2/3rds, France (as is historically well known) manages only about 18%, and Russia explodes by a rather immense 147%. Sweden gets 91% growth, Spain manages 71%, and Italy achieves 65%.

So does anyone know why, in spite of the fact that both Great Britain and Russia had much better growth rates, only Germany gets a rather immense 0.04% monthly population growth boost? After 78 years (i.e. from 1836 to 1914) this translates to a rough 45% population growth advantage over someone who doesn't have the same bonus, which is an appropriate and historical advantage against Austria-Hungary and most other European countries, perhaps, but definitely not against the British or the Russians.

I mean it's absolutely true that the relatively large growth in German population, particularly from 1871 to 1914, had a tremendous geostrategic importance (especially considering the complete failure of the French on that front), but it seems rather poor form to deny this advantage to its major rivals. Not that Britain or Russia particularly need a buff, but... Is this a game balance thing?

EDIT: I am a loving moron and prepared my massive pile of :words: while NNM was active. Whoops. But I think that the central conceit of this post stands.

ukle posted:

Great, I am now really looking forward to HOI4. I wasn't looking forward to it due to being so disappointed with HOI3 previously, but if you understand the issues HOI3 had and given how great you guys seem to be now it should be the game the era has needed. I want the freedom as Japan for instance to invade the Soviet Union even though its a god drat stupid thing to do, I want the ability to; the game should allow me to be stupid and not act as my nanny - let me pay the consequences for my stupidity.

To be fair, dogpiling the USSR in 1941 can't have been THAT much worse of an idea than declaring war on the USA.

David Corbett fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 10, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It still doesn't mean its anything but a gameplay fudge factor but you don't seem to have factored in New World immigration.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

zedprime posted:

It still doesn't mean its anything but a gameplay fudge factor but you don't seem to have factored in New World immigration.

A definite limitation here. I simply didn't have the data to make anything of that variable. Certainly most countries would have been somewhat affected, even just by movement to dominions and colonies.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I haven't played EU4 since before the 1st expansion. Is it worth getting Art of War and El Dorado while they're on sale?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I haven't played EU4 since before the 1st expansion. Is it worth getting Art of War and El Dorado while they're on sale?

Art of War is basically EU4.5 and is hugely worth it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Forts are great.
Development levels are great.
New buildings and upgrade paths are great.

Expansion is loving awesome.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

gradenko_2000 posted:

El Dorado is basically just the nation designer, most of the other 'expansion' DLC is well worth getting, and AoW is probably the most significant one.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

El Dorado is basically just the nation designer, most of the other 'expansion' DLC is well worth getting, and AoW is probably the most significant one.

I just picked up every music and unit pack. I own everything sans E-books now. take my :10bux: Paradox! Like the whole thing is just so cheap now and it still sells like hotcakes.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Custom nations pluis EUIV custome nation expander mod makes it literally extend your custome CKIII game into a manually expansioned material. (kinda drunk wasted, ingore spelling)
That's with the expansion begore the common sense expansion. AOW I think.
EditL: If you gotta, wait til the steam summer sale. We're almost at it anyway.

Bel Monte fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jun 10, 2015

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gradenko_2000 posted:

There have been so many updates through patches and expansions it's hard to work out what expansions have added content that is worthwhile (correct me if I'm wrong Wiz, but my 1.12 patch was 466MB while my Common Sense download was 1.8MB!!!). I would definitely recommend Wealth of Nations and Art of War as a minimum. Get Res Publica if you want to play a republic. Get Conquest of Paradise and El Dorado if you want to play a colonial nation.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm sure the novelty wears off eventually, but I've been having lots of fun seeing all the dumb El Dorodo events you get when you send your conquistador off to auto-explore.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I too am following the 'two expansions behind' strategy of waiting for the 75% off sale.

e: I'm pretty sure that patches contain the vast bulk of the expansion content and all you get when you buy the expansion is a tweak that turns everything on, which is why your downloads look that way.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Alchenar posted:

e: I'm pretty sure that patches contain the vast bulk of the expansion content and all you get when you buy the expansion is a tweak that turns everything on, which is why your downloads look that way.

Yeah, you get pretty much everything even if you don't own the expansion, it enables us to allow people to use the expansion for free in multiplayer as long as the host has it which is a great way to "demo" an expansion before you buy it yourself. I used to do that with The Republics and Sword of Islam for instance before I got hired.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I too am following the 'two expansions behind' strategy of waiting for the 75% off sale.

Same here. I find that with how inexpensive games have become since Steam has shattered market barriers, I have more games than I have time to play them. I can't put a hundred hours each into EU4, CK2, Cities Skylines, Kerbal, The Witcher, and whatever new indie games I get for :10bux: this month. I'll go several months without playing EU, grab whatever expansions have come out since I last played, and go nuts for a couple weeks. A few months later, I'll repeat the process.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Overall I really like the changes made (I absolutely love the new forts, specifically ZOC -- for some reason I feel like they took some small degree of inspiration from how March of the Eagles handled forts and provinces without them, which makes me happy since I enjoy that game despite its many shortcomings). And I love that province development means you can viably build tall rather than wide, it's great.

I only had a couple hours last night to fiddle around with an England ironman game. Is the parliamentary system (granting seats in your parliament, voting on bills, etc.) present in all republics/constitutional monarchies? What's UK-specific, just some of the flavor events?

Overall impression after a couple hours of play: second-best EU4 expansion after Art of War. Wiz has been doing a fantastic job on EU4 since being with Paradox.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks all, bought Art of War, but El Dorado is still a bit too rich for my blood so I may wait longer on that.

I do notice though that there's an even newer expansion already: Common Sense. What's that one about? Something about being able to "build tall"? That's in the Civilization sense where you're very insular and just develop the provinces you have to a high level, right?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
To get a good overview of what we offer to expand on your experience
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Downloadable_content

And here's a bit more specific on the newest expansion.
http://www.eu4wiki.com/Common_Sense

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I do notice though that there's an even newer expansion already: Common Sense. What's that one about? Something about being able to "build tall"? That's in the Civilization sense where you're very insular and just develop the provinces you have to a high level, right?

Yup. Common Sense only just came out yesterday.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks all, bought Art of War, but El Dorado is still a bit too rich for my blood so I may wait longer on that.

There are more development options, yes, though generally expansion is more efficient than developing still. This ain't civ 5.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

VostokProgram posted:

Wasn't there a British plan to turn an iceberg into a carrier? Paging podcat...

Yeah, it was to be made from a sawdust/ice composite material. It was called Pykrete. They got as far as some scale tests done in Canada but it didn't come to fruition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I really don't think Art of War was a great expansion, I don't get why people always say it's the necessary one. The patch that came with it was absolutely amazing but I only ever use like 2 things in the paid content with any regularity, which for half the price of the base game feels pretty sour. I don't begrudge buying it (I mean I have nearly 500 hours in EU4 now, it'd be pretty cheap of me to begrudge giving Paradox money) but I think it's pretty overpriced for what it is.

it's why, personally, I'm really glad they put a major feature (development) behind a paywall for Common Sense. it makes the purchase feel a lot more justified.

• Locked thread