Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Jarmak posted:

Some of us don't want to live in shitholes like we're still teenagers and going to college.

Yes, pulling the "you're a nerd" card really asserts your maturity and credibility on this issue.

The party we're all talking about was a one time deal, as were the events I dealt with. They can be cleaned up easily.

I think Mr Jockstrap started the name calling, which is why I said the stupid business owner poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dexo posted:

Just be an Adult and snitch to the kid's parents when they return.

It's funny, because I couldn't disagree with this more.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Mr Jockstrap started the name calling, which is why I said the stupid business owner poo poo.

No actually that was Woozy, dude.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 10, 2015

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007
Show of hands how many posters in this thread have strong opinions about "snitching"

its my right to be obnoxious at all hours!! stop snitchin!!

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

semper wifi posted:

Show of hands how many posters in this thread have strong opinions about "snitching"

It's more that you should only call the cops on someone if you're okay with the person in question getting killed with no repercussions, either by gunshot or by being thrown in a van and having their neck broken or something like that. Some people think it's wrong for that to happen to children, is all.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

I mean you could always just go have a conversation with them.

Which, admittedly, I believe the members of Klantown HOA tried with the pool kids. But they couldn't keep the racist leers off of their fat faces, so the kids figured them out.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
You know, when someone is too loud and I feel to lazy to put on my own music, the first thing I do is call a bunch of louder guys with strobe lights that will stay for at least an hour after I called them.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

One day when you have a real life you'll understand.

Edit: of course I'm assuming loud music and poo poo, if you call in well-behaved kids then yeah, you kinda suck

Yeah, woozy sure started it.

A cop in my town beat the poo poo out of a guy in handcuffs in their parking garage, was suspended for maybe a week and then promoted, so I'm not calling them on anyone not trying to kill me.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Haha, what the actual gently caress? So you disagree with snitching to the kids' parents, but it's ok to call the cops on them? Do you think the parents won't find out when their kids are in jail or facing down bigass fines?

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

No actually that was Woozy, dude.

Hey idiot you aren't the first person in a D&D thread to play the "real life" card and its never not smug posturing horseshit. The only names that need be called in this thread are serial shitposters "Jarmak", "tsa", and "semper wifi" so maybe take a step back and think about the company you're keeping here.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-police-kick-noel-carter-video-20150608-story.html

That's some good policing lou.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
http://www.dailydot.com/politics/nypd-bratton-trouble-recruiting-black-cops/

Bratton linked the problem to what he called the “unfortunate consequences” of the NYPD’s controversial stop-and-frisk procedures, which overwhelmingly targeted black and Latino communities. Bratton also called “the disfavor and the antagonism in the black community toward police” a principal factor in why there are so few black NYPD officers.

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Jarmak posted:

Some of us don't want to live in shitholes like we're still teenagers and going to college.

which college did you go to again

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Dum Cumpster posted:

Yeah, woozy sure started it.

Woozy posted:

Yo if you call the cops on kids because "I've got work in the morning" you're a loving rear end in a top hat hth

And I even quoted that post in my reply! Come on.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

In favour of loose rules placing property above life for something as minor as trespassing.
Again, you deliberately fail to understand the difference between killing someone for trespassing and keeping the burden on the prosecution to disprove a self defense claim.

oohhboy posted:

Clearly an unwillingness to identify a target.
Again, you fail at reading comprehension. You suggested that there should be a legal requirement to identify intruders. I proposed a hypothetical in order to elicit a consistent, legal definition of "identify." You chose to avoid answering that because it would force you to make a concrete proposal.

oohhboy posted:

Anybody can have a gun. Even crazy people.
Assessing character is not the same as denying for reasons of mental illness. Character is a subjective judgement of a person's morals, not a diagnosis of a medical condition. Is English not your first language?

oohhboy posted:

Slowly and carefully. Eliminate teams in areas that don't need coverage. Phase out SWAT teams as you replace them with HRT coverage. Since HRT aren't getting called out due to higher requirements other than "We thought it would be cool to play commando rejects", "Shoot dogs", "We don't like these people", you would require less men than current SWAT numbers. Hell, the HRT is getting so little work they are/were sending them to Afghanistan of all places. Surely they can spare some man power even at their current levels to deal with domestic issues.

SWAT is so bad even when there is a real threat they gently caress it up and only arrest him alive out of sheer luck, bad marksmanship, poor discipline after firing hundreds of rounds. They even fired on each other nearly killing one of their own. So out for blood they disregarded the safely of others.
Kinda funny you cited the response to the Boston Marathon bombings, since HRT were part of that. The rest of your worthless fluff is based on the idea that A) you can determine in advance which SWAT raids are unnecessary, and B) so many are unnecessary that the rest can be taken care of with a few hundred guys. Of course, you have no actual evidence that any of your assumptions are even remotely correct. You also never explained why the local police couldn't perform raids.

ChairMaster posted:

It's more that you should only call the cops on someone if you're okay with the person in question getting killed with no repercussions, either by gunshot or by being thrown in a van and having their neck broken or something like that. Some people think it's wrong for that to happen to children, is all.
What I don't understand is why you continue to pay taxes that you know will end up in the pockets of these state sanctioned murderers.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Woozy posted:

Hey idiot you aren't the first person in a D&D thread to play the "real life" card and its never not smug posturing horseshit. The only names that need be called in this thread are serial shitposters "Jarmak", "tsa", and "semper wifi" so maybe take a step back and think about the company you're keeping here.

There's nobody with kids and a high-pressure job who would be posting or agreeing the nonsense that you are spewing. Nobody.

That's what I meant by that statement. Didn't think somebody slinging around "rear end in a top hat" accusations would be so thin-skinned but here we are.

"Take the loving L"....this is hilarious. Yeah I'll just tell my boss that I look like warmed over poo poo because some kids were partying loudly and I didn't want to call the cops on them so I could sleep because "I'm an adult". Give me a break. When you're in your late thirties/early forties you can't operate on 3 hours sleep anymore. Again, since this thread seems to be nothing but young childless people with flexible schedules (and apparently magic earplugs that keep the window-rattling bass out but still allow the sound of the morning alarm in) I don't expect a lot of sympathy, but goddamn. The thing that bugs me is I would probably be saying the same thing when I was in your age and situation. Oh well. In twenty years and a couple of kids you'll agree with me.

Also I'm laughing because first you tarred me for playing RPGs, and now it's because some bad posters agree with me. You're a class act all the way.

Edit: if it means anything, as of three years or so ago I wouldn't call the cops on any minority parties even if they flung beer at me while I talked to them. I don't trust cops not to escalate this. But since the worst noise problems I've ever had were ex-military white folks I don't think that's a real issue.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 10, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Woozy posted:

which college did you go to again

I just started going to college, but I've spent years living in cheap lovely student apartments/neighborhoods because it was all I could afford.

Edit: also lol the "real life card", truly the most hated of all d&d's fallacies.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's pretty obvious that nobody is saying it's fine to be an obnoxious jerk who makes too much noise, just that the penalty for doing so shouldn't be having the cops called on you, considering how awful cops tend to treat people.

Maybe if cops didn't tend to be so horrible, people would be more ok with calling them to help out where appropriate.

Hilbert Spaceship
Mar 15, 2007

If I was dyslexic I'd even hate dog too.

There's nobody with kids and a high-pressure job who would be posting or agreeing the nonsense that you are spewing. Nobody.

That's what I meant by that statement. Didn't think somebody slinging around "rear end in a top hat" accusations would be so thin-skinned but here we are.

"Take the loving L"....this is hilarious. Yeah I'll just tell my boss that I look like warmed over poo poo because some kids were partying loudly and I didn't want to call the cops on them so I could sleep because "I'm an adult". Give me a break. When you're in your late thirties/early forties you can't operate on 3 hours sleep anymore. Again, since this thread seems to be nothing but young childless people with flexible schedules (and apparently magic earplugs that keep the window-rattling bass out but still allow the sound of the morning alarm in) I don't expect a lot of sympathy, but goddamn. The thing that bugs me is I would probably be saying the same thing when I was in your age and situation. Oh well. In twenty years and a couple of kids you'll agree with me.

Also I'm laughing because first you tarred me for playing RPGs, and now it's because some bad posters agree with me. You're a class act all the way.

Edit: if it means anything, as of three years or so ago I wouldn't call the cops on any minority parties even if they flung beer at me while I talked to them. I don't trust cops not to escalate this. But since the worst noise problems I've ever had were ex-military white folks I don't think that's a real issue.

Shut the gently caress up with this. I've lived in the ghetto before and had to wake up early for work while kids were next door being loud and rowdy and guess what--I didn't call the drat cops on them for exactly the reasons stated on this page. The police are an excessively violent force in this country (particularly against minorities) and your weak as hell rationalizations of "oh I might not look well rested at my job" are loving stupid. Deal with your neighbors like a real person, even when that means you don't just call the oppression squad on some kids being obnoxious and interrupting your sleep.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

And I even quoted that post in my reply! Come on.

Sorry, I honestly saw that as a general statement not really directed at anyone but can see how you took it personally.

I'll admit I don't have kids yet but I don't see how I'm going to suddenly risk other's lives and livelihood to keep my life comfortable. If you have a high pressure job you probably know you're in demand and could get another one if it really came down to it. I don't know if my neighbors have been in the best financial shape, and getting them in trouble with the law is just not something I'd risk with what I know about our hosed up bail system and everything else related to the courts.

Also in 2010 after being laid off for about a year and a half my 18 year old neighbor decided to hold a noisy party the day before I had an important interview that ended up getting me a job again. At one or two in the morning I went and explained the situation to her and she was apologetic and shut it down. Apparently I've literally been in the nightmare shithole scenario you're all worried about and made it through just fine on my own. loving bootstraps, eh?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Hold on, I want to make sure I read this correctly because the implications are jaw-dropping:

Dum Cumpster posted:

I'll admit I don't have kids yet but I don't see how I'm going to suddenly risk other's lives and livelihood to keep my life comfortable. If you have a high pressure job you probably know you're in demand and could get another one if it really came down to it.

So you're literally saying that I should be wiling to risk my well-paying job and amazing benefits with a 15 minute commute and close proximity to my wife's extended family which are REALLY loving rare in my neck of the woods so that somebody can keep having a party? This is your real argument to me that you expect me to take seriously?

I...wow. Wow. You can still surprise me, Internet.

Edit: I'm going to edit this in because reading back through this I think some of you think that I advocate calling the cops at the earliest opportunity. No. I've talked to neighbors about noise 8 times and called the cops on two. The first being the aforementioned teens (because they vandalized my neighbor's house for trying to talk to them) and the other being a pair of ex-Air Force peeps who blasted their lovely rock on their outdoor patio at like 110 decibels from 10:00am to whenever-the-gently caress they felt like it and simply wouldn't stop.

Of course you should be neighborly and talk to your neighbors first. But if they don't comply you have to do something about it and you have the right to. I'm sorry that the police are so bad but this is like total victim blaming and it's C R A Z Y to me.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 10, 2015

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
So first it was "these parties keep me up" then it was "these parties will impact my job" then it was "these parties will hurt my family" and now it's "these parties will destroy my life completely and utterly".

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress kind of parties do they throw where you are? I wanna to go to one of those.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

This is your real argument to me that you expect me to take seriously?

If your real argument is that staying up late one night will cost you your job, sure :)

If you had people that were repeatedly doing this poo poo then getting the police involved during the day when your lovely neighbors weren't drunk or hosed up in some way sounds perfectly reasonable. Edited this before I saw yours so I guess we agree?

Dum Cumpster fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 10, 2015

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

To be fair what this stupid little derail is lacking is any sort of judgement based on the circumstances. There isn't a blanket rule on whether its appropriate to call the cops for a noise complaint, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Hold on, I want to make sure I read this correctly because the implications are jaw-dropping:

So you're literally saying that I should be wiling to risk my well-paying job and amazing benefits with a 15 minute commute and close proximity to my wife's extended family which are REALLY loving rare in my neck of the woods so that somebody can keep having a party? This is your real argument to me that you expect me to take seriously?

I...wow. Wow. You can still surprise me, Internet.

Millennials like to party into the late night, let's be honest there are only so many hours in the day that you can search for a job online.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Woozy posted:

Hrm what a quandry thirty five cents for ear plugs or send armed men known for creating explosive situations into a dwelling full of children. Ah gently caress it, I've got a big day tomorrow of prosecuting a one sided class war against the poor as a steward of the most vicious and dysfunctional criminal justice system in the first world, better not take any chances

Woozy, my work is primarily homicide. How would you suggest we handle these cases? And you do realize that most victims are also low income minorities, right? Should we just throw our hands up and tell them "tough poo poo" because some internet poster doesn't like the system? I know you expect me to feel guilty, but I don't. I sleep pretty well at night. Assuming there is not a noise ordinance violation occurring outside my window, in which case I ask them to stfu, and, if they don't, yes. I call the non emergency police line. Like many other adults.

Also lol at the suggestion people can just get another job...especially after getting shitcanned.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 10, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Captain Bravo posted:

So first it was "these parties keep me up" then it was "these parties will impact my job" then it was "these parties will hurt my family" and now it's "these parties will destroy my life completely and utterly".

Jesus Christ, what the gently caress kind of parties do they throw where you are? I wanna to go to one of those.

This is really bad faith and I was just pointing out that a lot of these suggestions don't really work, particularly if you have small children or are not a twenty-something no-sleep badass.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
F you I'm 30 something and everything already hurts all the time!

ActusRhesus posted:

I sleep pretty well at night. Assuming there is not a noise ordinance violation occurring outside my window, in which case I ask them to stfu, and, if they don't, yes.
LOL. That was good.

quote:

Also lol at the suggestion people can just get another job...especially after getting shitcanned.

If you're in a position where coming in tried one time will get you fired then maybe it'll be a healthy move for you to find another job. I know moving out of such a job made my life a lot better in many ways, including financially.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Considering that before he thread was arguing that you should let people break into your house, suggesting that you just let people be loud is an upgrade.

But I do just use earplugs, sooooo....

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You and your SO should go to the party, wreck them in pong then upper deck them. They have a problem? Tough poo poo, you're the pong master.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Radish posted:

The idea that some middle aged suburbanite is so clued in that he/she knows that there is this DJ tweeting out invitations to a party is hilarious. Also "oh no minorities listening to obscenity laced music in public and attacking mothers in front of their children after being politely asked to behave!!" is whitepanic.txt and directly contradicts pretty much every actual eye witness account we've heard so far. Tweets for this party should be pretty easy to find if they were true.

Even if it was totally true it doesn't really explain the police ignoring the white kids and going straight for the minorities.

Apparently there was a DJ, but he said* that he was hired to DJ the event, and was advertising and selling tickets for a different event.

http://twitchy.com/2015/06/07/mckinney-updates-officer-identified-dj-says-dont-blame-him-sign-at-pool-thanks-cops-for-keeping-us-safe/

*"DJ Reign" has deleted or deactivated his twitter account, so no confirmation on what actually went down

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
When one considers that the pool party was happening in broad daylight in Texas during June, I feel that it becomes evident that lateness is not a factor and this entire discussion is instead an ingenious honeypot to reveal which posters have enormous sticks up their butts about dumb poo poo.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I honestly can't tell if the people who are arguing against turning to the police as a last resort for noise violations are trolling or just that loving incapable of comprehending that the actions of one rear end in a top hat can seriously impact dozens of others. You're treating it as a problem between the noisemaker and the person who calls it in, when it's actually negatively affecting the whole goddamn neighborhood. Proper rest is essential to the most basic tasks, so one self-absorbed shitbag treating his neighborhood to death metal until 3 AM on a weeknight and then sleeping in until 2 PM himself is committing violence upon the lives of those around him, many who may themselves just be struggling to get by or make something of themselves.

Holding police forces accountable for their actions and ensuring they are a force for good in a community does not mean embracing Libertopia and rejecting the exercise of legitimate authority.

Edit: The police chief's condemnation of Casebolt's actions is bringing me delicious Schadenfreude as I post it to my knee-jerk conservative relatives. Mainstream conservative media seems to be dropping the story like a ticking timebomb.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 10, 2015

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Pretty sure the issue here is combat roll pulling a gun on unarmed kids and brutalising a young girl in a bikini.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I feel this thread gets on these derails because some of these cases the most legit response is "holy poo poo, gently caress the police" and a lot of people don't want to say that.

I mean, I just watched a dude pull a gun on a pool party and the fact that I'm not that shocked makes me fairly sad about policing in the US.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The main disconnect is that white people can call police on ordinance violations and reasonably expect the response to be "hey, cut that out please you're bugging your neighbors and if it happens again you will be fined" instead of.... Whatever the gently caress mr tactilol rolls thought he was doing.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I was disappointed by the combat roll video. I thought I'd see hilarious tactical roll out of nowhere but it was just a doofus cop tripping without breaking his face.

Way to hype how funny it would be.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

What about my infant son? Is he supposed to suck it up and deal with it too?

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

THE ONES WITH A NON ZERO CHANCE OF GETTING KILLED BY POLICE BECAUSE I THINK THEY NEED TO BE TAUGHT A LESSON

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I was disappointed by the combat roll video. I thought I'd see hilarious tactical roll out of nowhere but it was just a doofus cop tripping without breaking his face.

Way to hype how funny it would be.

Does this help? http://eric-is-similar-to-epic-get-it.ytmnd.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Jarmak posted:

To be fair what this stupid little derail is lacking is any sort of judgement based on the circumstances. There isn't a blanket rule on whether its appropriate to call the cops for a noise complaint, sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.

Yeah, I talked to my neighbor about 20 times before I called the cops on him. I even told him I was going to call the cops and he and his friends laughed, which pushed me over the edge.
We almost got into a fight even, and 3 of his friends had to hold his other friend back from attacking me. After that, it was endless months of harassment from them anytime they saw me.

I called the cops (non emergency number) twice on them, and both times I told the cops I just wanted them talked to. The second time, the cop told me that they could arrest my neighbor and his friends for an untold number of reasons, but I didn't want that. The cop just kinda shook his head and gave them a great big lecture.

I called the cops, I called my property management company, I talked to my neighbor. He was unwilling to change his behavior. Being kept up all night when you have to work at 5 am sucks. Especially when it happens every day for months and years on end. I lived next to this guy for 5 years and dealt with this constantly. He was a great guy, when his friends weren't around. They partied at least 3 nights a week, however, and it just really loving got into my head.

This is a stupid derail however, since it has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

• Locked thread