Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
My cat doesn't particularly like being picked up, so I usually only do it right before I feed her because she won't hide when the food is out.

She does still cuddle with me when I'm watching TV and sleeping, so I guess I haven't traumatized her too much. I probably wouldn't press my luck so often if she were the scratching type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
So, got the news tonight that Pixie, our 11 year old ladycat (8 lbs on a good day) has the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism.

Dr says that since Pix is "not a pill person" that he recommends she get radioactive iodine treatment. I think this is the way to go, just from reading the website he linked us, but no matter what Miss Priss will be pissed off at us. Normal state of affairs with her however :) But, honestly I'm a little nervous about this.

Anyone on that's gone thru this with their kitties?

Sostratos
Jun 28, 2004

Disco Salmon posted:

So, got the news tonight that Pixie, our 11 year old ladycat (8 lbs on a good day) has the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism.

Dr says that since Pix is "not a pill person" that he recommends she get radioactive iodine treatment. I think this is the way to go, just from reading the website he linked us, but no matter what Miss Priss will be pissed off at us. Normal state of affairs with her however :) But, honestly I'm a little nervous about this.

I did this for a 9 year old cat in January of this year. He was actually really easy to pill because he thinks he's a stuffed animal, but the pills weren't doing the job. He didn't like the isolation required by the iodine treatment, but he got through it just fine and his attitude hasn't changed one bit. The vet kept him for a week, then he was kept alone for two more and that was that. You won't be able to spend any time with her except for feeding and litter maintenance, and you'll need to take care disposing of the litter, but the treatment will almost certainly fix her up. My cat had lost significant amounts of weight before we resorted to radioactive iodine, but is now back to his old self with a clean bill of health from the vet.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Sostratos posted:

I did this for a 9 year old cat in January of this year. He was actually really easy to pill because he thinks he's a stuffed animal, but the pills weren't doing the job. He didn't like the isolation required by the iodine treatment, but he got through it just fine and his attitude hasn't changed one bit. The vet kept him for a week, then he was kept alone for two more and that was that. You won't be able to spend any time with her except for feeding and litter maintenance, and you'll need to take care disposing of the litter, but the treatment will almost certainly fix her up. My cat had lost significant amounts of weight before we resorted to radioactive iodine, but is now back to his old self with a clean bill of health from the vet.

Awesome thank you! We called and left a message this am, so we are hoping to hear back from them so we can get the ball rolling. I don't know anyone whose pet had gone through this before so I appreciate the words :) She is very good at holding grudges... she may not remember WHY she is mad when she comes home, only that she is and we will all pay for it. Par for the course with her though.... she is a grumpy girl but I love her and she knows it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, my little kitten is acting strangely. He's around 8 years old. He's always been the quiet, shy type. When he was very young, I was actually afraid he was mute because he was so silent. Tonight, he started doing some strange things. He started slapping water from the fountain as opposed to drinking from the pool. That's cute, one of our more dominant cats does that so I figured it was modeling behavior. Then he snuggled next to me wanting attention (he needs a lot of attention) but started growling like another one of our more dominant cats. He was purring like a maniac and loving ever second of it but he was totally modeling the behavior of his older sister :3:

Very cute, but also very out of character. I want to make "my kitten is finally becoming a teenager" and "my kitten is having a mid-life crisis" jokes but I'd temperature check to see if there is something wrong.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How do I start brushing my cats teeth?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I've mentioned here and in the pet-shaming thread about how Luther has a thing for the mailman and will also open any soft packages dropped through the slot. This past week he's been taking regular post upstairs, too, but not damaging it -- even my ULTA Beauty and Harbor Freight catalogs.

I was home today and heard the mailman greeting him. A few seconds later Luther bounded up the stairs and brought me the envelope that was delivered. :3:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
New kitties are doing much better. I phoned the adoption agency for advice, and they basically said "the liver damange from not eating thing is if they haven't eaten for like a week, not a few days. Just leave them be and they'll eat when they're hungry". Sure enough, the cats are eating.

Disco Salmon posted:

My old cat Amber had thyroid problems as well and had to have a tablet every day. We'd put it in a dollop of cream cheese, and nine times out of ten it would vanish with no dramas at all. The cat would actually come and fetch us to demand her 6pm cheese treat.

Hydrolith fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 7, 2015

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
I wish it were that easy :( She is very resistant to the idea of anything like that. Even Revolution is an ordeal :(

And, she hates people food with a passion. Yup, she is a special snowflake. I swear she puts the maintenance in high maintenance. I love her though, she is a sweet kitty as long as things are done her way and how she likes them (when she wants them).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bowmore posted:

How do I start brushing my cats teeth?

You'll need to get a pet or baby toothbrush, and specialty pet toothpaste. If there's no one around I sit my cats on my lap facing me, hold their muzzle with my left hand and pry it open while I brush with my right.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
That GIF is amazing. Also I'm going to try and start doing this with my cats. They may eat me but :science:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Food motivated cats can learn to love (or at least tolerate) tooth brushing if they associate a treat with it.

If your cat has a beloved treat, give them that everytime after you brush their teeth, and in some cats, much like cheese pill cat above, will yell at you that it is time for tooth brushing.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

What are people's opinions on Greenies? In addition to, or as a substitute for, brushing?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hockles posted:

What are people's opinions on Greenies? In addition to, or as a substitute for, brushing?

They don't substitute for brushing whatsoever.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Dienes posted:

They don't substitute for brushing whatsoever.

I didn't think so, but I just wanted to throw that in there.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
So our same cat who was having major redirected aggression issues (which seem to be much better now that we've blocked her view from being able to see other cats in the backyard through the window) is still having issues. She pees on the rug right next to the back door. It's the door to get outside to the area where these "intruders" to her territory are. At least I'm assuming it's a territorial thing, like she's marking her spot to try to fend off other cats. What confuses me about that though is there's also a sliding glass door to the backyard with a rug in front of it and she's never peed there. She never pees anywhere else, we clean the litter box every day, I've cleaned the rug multiple times with all kinds of enzymatic cleaners to get rid of any lingering smells that would make her go back to the same spot, and I specifically flipped the rug so that it was the opposite side towards the door (ie the spot she'd peed before was further inside the house towards the kitchen) and she still peed on the end closest to the door. Is there anything I can do to get her to stop doing that? I took the rug out of there for a few days and she didn't pee on the bare floor (at least not in that time span) but it's a heavily used entrance so I don't really want to leave it that way if there's any other solution.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Could you at least move the rug away from the door and place a doormat on the outside instead? I dont think you'll have much luck preventing scents getting inside through the door if there's a lot of traffic.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Just found out my cat has inoperable cancer :(

He's 15 but he still seems happy and relaxed, doesn't seem to be in any pain yet at all. So if anyone can help me construct a Cat Bucket List of nice things for him to enjoy (after I've taken him skydiving at Niagara Falls) before he goes I would feel much better about the whole thing.

Goddamn I've been dreading this poo poo for years now.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
My new kitten came in, and she took a poop but didn't bury it. Should I be concerned?

Obligatory pic:

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

demota posted:

My new kitten came in, and she took a poop but didn't bury it. Should I be concerned?

Obligatory pic:

Poop on her poop to show her who's really the boss.

I'd just cover it for her. My various cats over the years have done that on occasion. I think they flee the poo ghosts or need a victory lap and forget how to properly cat for a moment.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

demota posted:

Obligatory pic:

Some are just poop-burying deficient. Mine is 5 and still doesn't cover her poop. I choose to interpret this as her feeling VERY secure there are no predators around.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Dienes posted:

Some are just poop-burying deficient. Mine is 5 and still doesn't cover her poop. I choose to interpret this as her feeling VERY secure there are no predators around.

2 of ours refuse to bury said poop.

Personally? I think it is:

a) A cruel and horrendously bad sense of humor....I do think they love to hear my husband yell our WTF WHO DROPPED A FUCKIN BOMB!!!. (They ALWAYS do this when we are eating ...no matter what time of day someone will drop a bomb in the other room).

They all look VERY satisfied when he does this. We have really weird air currents in our house with the vent set up...every so often their poo stink will travel through and start dissolving the wallpaper off the walls in other rooms. It can be quite horrendous, but I think they just love to see my over sensitive to smell husband go nuts.

b) I was told long ago that cats cover their poo as a way to keep themselves hidden from predators etc, but I don't know. I think that they leave them uncovered because they are awful rotten creatures with no respect for the rest of us in the house, and that they are showing us that by leaving their poo out for all to see, we can see who really is in charge.

c) They have contests amongst themselves on just WHO has the worst poos. If they are covered up you can't judge them correctly and get scored correctly.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

demota posted:

Obligatory pic:

Ah, I see you have a non-poop-covering-ragdoll too. My boy only sometimes covers his poops, and when he doesn't our other cat runs over with a look of horror and quickly covers it up.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Tamarillo posted:

Ah, I see you have a non-poop-covering-ragdoll too. My boy only sometimes covers his poops, and when he doesn't our other cat runs over with a look of horror and quickly covers it up.

Is that what she is? I'm new at this cat thing. I was mostly just thinking of her as a designer cat mix. Her mother is a Stray and her father is a Mystery.

Robo Kitty
Sep 5, 2011

There was a POST here. It's gone now.

Tamarillo posted:

This, the best way to deal with a cat who doesn't bury its poop is to get another cat who's offended by the first cat's improprieties.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

demota posted:

Is that what she is? I'm new at this cat thing. I was mostly just thinking of her as a designer cat mix. Her mother is a Stray and her father is a Mystery.

Eh, looks it. Seal mitted moggie with a blaze on its face. Looks fancy enough and I don't really think purebred cats have many differentiated traits beyond the look (given my ragdoll does not go limp and hates being held)

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
My cat empty-barfed two days in a row (second time with a bit of grass). The only thing new in the house is the new feather toy I bought... But she barely plays with it. Well, I also bought a toy for my sister's dog, but my cat's even less in contact with it than with her own toy. Should I do something? I also worry that her electronic water machine about which everyone agrees that you don't need to change the filter, may in fact need filter-changing?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Captain Mediocre posted:

Just found out my cat has inoperable cancer :(

He's 15 but he still seems happy and relaxed, doesn't seem to be in any pain yet at all. So if anyone can help me construct a Cat Bucket List of nice things for him to enjoy (after I've taken him skydiving at Niagara Falls) before he goes I would feel much better about the whole thing.

Goddamn I've been dreading this poo poo for years now.
Oh man. This part of cat ownership always sucks, no two ways about it. I don't have any ideas, only sympathy.

supermikhail posted:

My cat empty-barfed two days in a row (second time with a bit of grass). The only thing new in the house is the new feather toy I bought... But she barely plays with it. Well, I also bought a toy for my sister's dog, but my cat's even less in contact with it than with her own toy. Should I do something? I also worry that her electronic water machine about which everyone agrees that you don't need to change the filter, may in fact need filter-changing?

They might just be trying to bring up a hairball. Grass would help with that.

demota posted:

Obligatory pic:

Sometimes cats just do that. Some cats will even scratch at the floor next to the litter box, or scratch litter around the box but not actually over the poo. It's like the scratching motion is instinctive, but cats don't always twig that they're meant to be burying their poo. Anyway, it's probably nothing to worry about.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Only 2 months until I get my cats! I'm so excited.

In other news I've been visiting my girlfriend's house and 1) playing with her cats lots and 2) forgot to take antihistamines, accidentally rubbed my eye and was incapacitated for the next hour or so. I think that justifies me getting my own (hypoallergenic) ones.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

Hydrolith posted:

They might just be trying to bring up a hairball. Grass would help with that.

She eats grass every day, though. I guess I'll get some of those malt treats again, which I stopped giving her because she eats grass anyway... On the other hand, I've kind of been slacking on brushing her (although she's not long-haired by a long shot, mind you).

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have a problem with my cat. It recently watched I Still Know What You Did Last Summer but missed the last few minutes. This seems to have caused it no end of distress and I'd really like to help a kitty out. Coincidentally I also haven't seen the last few minutes of it so..help?

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Hydrolith posted:

Sometimes cats just do that. Some cats will even scratch at the floor next to the litter box, or scratch litter around the box but not actually over the poo. It's like the scratching motion is instinctive, but cats don't always twig that they're meant to be burying their poo. Anyway, it's probably nothing to worry about.

Tali will scratch the sides of her litter box and the air around the outside of the litter box, barely touching the litter at all. Mocking me and my begging for her to cover her stinky poops.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I saw the most distressed look ever on my cat's face last night. Her food bowl and placemat had been removed for cleaning. I came into the kitchen after the floor had dried and she was sitting in the empty spot looking at me as if I was a judge and had just read her death sentence: food is gone forever, Trigger is condemned to starve to death.

:kimchi:

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Just look for any advice about dealing with a cat who has heart failure. One of our 8 year old boys, Hector, who has always had a mild heart murmer, has been diagnosed with heart disease/failure :( Poor little guy was in a really bad way on Saturday but pulled through and is responding quite well to medication at the moment.

Luckily we were insured which should cover the bulk of the vets bills for the diagnosis/emergency stuff. Unluckily we didn't get lifetime cover so will be attempting to fund ongoing heart meds for as long as he needs them, eek! Any idea how much this might cost?? (We're in the UK). Also any tips on getting him used to taking pills 3x per day and managing his lifestyle much appreciated! Really bummed out at the moment the poor dude has really been through it the past few days :(

Here's Hector being unimpressed at being booped on the nose

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Not sure about prices unfortunately since I'm in Canada but try to keep the pills as low-stress as possible. Are there any treats that he loves that he'll eat them in? Preferably low in salt? If he does tend to steal human food I'd try to keep him away from salty things as that will worsen his heart condition.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I have a problem with my cat. It recently watched I Still Know What You Did Last Summer but missed the last few minutes. This seems to have caused it no end of distress and I'd really like to help a kitty out. Coincidentally I also haven't seen the last few minutes of it so..help?

Rent it on Amazon and have a movie night. Glass of wine for you, bowl of nip for him, keep a blanket nearby so he can cover his eyes.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A friend has a new cat, when does the crazy catdrugs person start selling that poo poo

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Well... I was just changing the water in the drinking fountain, and the filter definitely has a yellowish tint. I tried a drop of detergent on it and it removes the tint. I've also discovered that the newly-installed cartridges for our water filter are making the water oily, although apparently that's a feature, not a bug (according to some Internet stuff). I don't remember if I've noticed it before. :shrug:

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Do I have the only cat that doesn't care about food? I give it blue buffalo wilderness in a slim cat ball, but it never eats all of it. I give it 1/2cup a day and my cat eats what it wants and stays skinny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
(Just saw the thread title.) :vince: